Look Who's Back

The Serpent's Smile

Ji Hyo seethed inside.  Who does he think he is?  She knew his background but she still had a hard time listening to him.  Why does he get to call the shots.  When he walked away, Ji Hyo tapped out a message to Gary.  "Ok, Monday."  She tossed her phone on the table in frustration.  Then she almost fell out of her chair.  Haha was right in front of her.  He looked her straight in the eyes.  "Look.  you don't have to like my methods, but the truth is, I wouldn't be here if you guys could do your jobs right."  

Ji Hyo hated Haha at that moment.  She hated his smugness, his narcisism and his authority.  How dare he say this was her fault.  It was Gwang Soo's fault.  Ji Hyo wanted nothing more than to smack that smirk off his face.  But she swallowed her pride.  She put on a fake smile and nodded.  

Haha could tell Ji Hyo was lying.  She didn't get it.  But she was listening.  That was good.  Eventually she'll come to my side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We got a hit" said Suk Jin, walking into the meeting room.  Jong Kook looked up as Suk Jin fired up the projector to show a map of Japan.  Suk Jin tapped his tablet to alter the display.  "Our agents in Japan have found the man who was following you.  He's been identified as Lee Gwang Soo.  He bought a plane ticket to Seoul at 8:25 this morning.  That flight landed two hours ago.  We tracked him to this hotel." Suk Jin tapped at his tablet and the display shifted to a hotel in Seoul's Gangnam district.  He then shifted the display to show Gwang Soo.  "We don't have much on Lee Gwang Soo.  He's fresh so there isn't much of a record on him.  We do have a list of known associates though.  Check this out."  Suk Jin changed screens to show Gwang Soo's knows associates.  "Song Joong Ki" murmured Jong Kook. It'd been a long time since he'd seen that picture.  The picture triggered a flashback in his memory.

They were training together.  Joong Ki was so passionate.  He wanted to try everything. He showed a lot of promise.  But he was too impulsive.  He relied too much on hunches and guesswork. He couldn't wait for data and new intelligence.  Everything Joong Ki did was at 110%.  The guy had an unstoppable motor, like the energizer bunny.  He just kept going and going and going.  When Jong Kook had tried to teach him, he found that Joong Ki often would be able to do 9/10 things extremely well, but the last thing would frustrate him to no end.  Almost everytime, it was because he had no patience.  Jong Kook had tried to teach him patience but the lessons just didn't take.  Eventually, Joong Ki washed out, and left SBS.  Before he left, he'd gone to see Jong Kook.  He vowed to come back and beat Jong Kook.  "I'll be the ace someday" he'd said.  Jong Kook hadn't heard or seen him since.

Suk Jin continued with his presentation.  "We expect he'll try to make contact with his associates in Korea soon.  We need to watch him 24/7 because we'll never get a better chance to see what we're up against."  Suk Jin paused, the next part--the part where he told Jong Kook what to do--made him nervous.  "So Jong Kook, I need you to get him out of his room and bug it."  Suk Jin motioned to his assistant, who came forward with a small case of equipment.  Suk Jin picked up the equipment to demonstrate and explain in turn. "This is a pinhead camera, try to get it in the ceiling where we can get a 360 degree view.  This is a standard phone bug.  I doubt he'll be using the hotel phone but just in case.  This is a standard GPS tracker.  Put it in his shoe so we can track him anywhere on the planet.  The battery is good for 3 months."  Suk Jin shook what looked like a little black cell phone.  "And lastly" he said, "this is a clone phone.  Put it within 1 foot of his phone and turn it on.  It'll clone his phone so we can listen in on his cell phone conversations.  Any questions?"  "Just one" said Jong Kook.  He was toying around with one of the pinhole cameras.  "Where can I get some of these?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gwang Soo was in his room.  Jong Kook needed to get access to his room undetected.  Gary did not see any way to solve this problem.  "Hyung, let's try again tomorrow." he said, anxious to finish work.  He was going to meet Ji Hyo and really wanted to change and clean up.  "Yah, relax" said Jong Kook.  "This'll take 2 minutes.  Watch my back."  With that, Jong Kook skulked off to a corner of the hotel.  Gary watched as he pulled out a lighter and lit a little ball of newspaper.  He waved the burning paper underneath a smoke detector.  After a few seconds, the fire alarm went off.  Jong Kook quickly threw the flaming ball of paper on the ground and waited until people started flooding out of the hotel.  He simply walked in the opposite direction back into the hotel.  

Gary watched the crowd streaming out of the hotel.  He spotted Gwang Soo's tall frame in the middle of the crowd.  "Yah Jong Kook hyung is so smart" thought Gary, deeply impressed with how Jong Kook had used the fire alarm as a distraction to bug Gwang Soo's room.  Gary was so busy watching Gwang Soo that he didn't sense Jong Kook returning.  Jong Kook tapped his shoulder to get his attention, and Gary almost died from shock. "AH HYUNG!  Don't do that!"  Jong Kook could only shake his head.  Gary was supposed to be a secret agent for chrissakes.  Mission accomplished, they left quietly.

Meanwhile Suk Jin was watching the live feed from the cameras and mikes they had planted in Gwang Soo's room.  He could see everything.  Now it was time to wait until Gwang Soo made a move.

Gwang Soo was annoyed by the fire alarm.  The hotel had been evacuated and only now were people allowed back in.  Gwang Soo walked past several fireman who were returning to their truck.  If he had been paying attention, he might have heard them talking about the burning newspaper and how this seemed like a giant prank but he was distracted.  He airkicked an imaginary enemy.  Things were going very badly.  He'd lost the ball, then he'd lost he muscle agent, and then he'd lost his wallet.  Now that he was in Korea, it was time to get back in touch with Ji Hyo.  Entering his room, he dialed her number.

Suk Jin shot up in his chair.  Something was happening.  Jong Kook had been unable to bug Gwang Soo's cell phone so Suk Jin could only hear half the conversation.  

"It's me. I'm in Korea....No, Tokyo was a total waste of time. I lost him....I don't know where he went, don't you know what 'lost' means....where are you guys right now?  ok, I'll go over.  bye"

Suk Jin immediately dialed Jong Kook and Gary. "Lee Gwang Soo is on the move.  He's going to meet somebody, I suspect it's a contact."  

"We're on it" replied Jong Kook, hangning up.  Gary sighed. Ji Hyo would have to wait.  With a heavy heart, he sent her a message.  He was so absorbed thinking about her that he didn't hear Jong Kook.  "Yah Kang Gary!" yelled Jong Kook, which snapped Gary out of his little reverie.  "Get out and follow him.  Put the tracker on him if you can."  The car screeched to a stop across the street from the hotel.  Jong Kook handed Gary the little gps tracking bug and watched him amble over to the hotel. Come on Gary, don't screw this up

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haha ambled over to Ji Hyo.  He needed to know more about this Gwang Soo if he was going to be able to execute his plans.  He pulled a chair up next to Ji Hyo, who gave him a cold look.  

Haha:  What do you know about this Lee Gwang Soo?

Ji Hyo:  He's terrible.

Haha:  What's wrong with him?

Ji Hyo:  He's clumsy.  He's not very smart.  He can't improvise well.  He's a terrible agent.

Haha:  Can he be trusted?

Ji Hyo:  No.  He always manages to screw something up.  And when he does, he always blames someone else.

Haha mulled this over. This didn't sound promising.  

Haha:  So he's of no use?

Ji Hyo:  He attracts a lot of attention.  He's good as a decoy I guess but I usually try to stay away.  Things never go right around him.

Haha did not like the impression he was getting of Lee Gwang Soo.  He was about to leave when Ji Hyo called out, "One more thing.  He can't keep secrets either.  But he tries hard."  Ji Hyo didn't know why she added that last part.  Haha merely nodded and went of to another area of the warehouse.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jong Kook and Gary met up outside the warehouse.  Gary had been unable to stick the tracker on Gwang Soo but had followed him easily enough.  Jong Kook arrived a few minutes later and after hiding the car, the two agents crept up on the warehouse.  There was no telling who or what was in the warehouse so they were careful not to make any sounds as they approached.  Crouching against the wall, they strained their ears, trying to hear anything that could be a clue.  But there was nothing.  They returned to the car, content to wait until the meeting was over.  Jong Kook prepared a special high def camera with a special zoom lens to take pictures of people leaving the meeting while Gary looked on through binoculars.  Gary was beginning to believe that nobody would be coming out when finally he saw movement.  Focusing his binoculars, Gary saw Gwang Soo and a woman walk out.  Gary pressed the binoculars harder against his face until it hurt.  He tried desperately to see the woman's face. There had to be a mistake.  Gary had caught a quick glimpse of the woman's face.  But he couldn't believe what he had saw or what he thougth he saw.  Because Gary could have sworn he had seen Ji Hyo walk out with Gwang Soo.  Kang Gary you sap.  Quit thinking about Ji Hyo and do your job properly.  He looked through the binoculars again and saw a short man in the shadows.  The man did not step out from the shadows and Gary never got a good look at his face.  He could hear the camera click as Jong Kook snapped some pictures. He scanned the area looking for the woman again but she was gone.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at SBS, Jae Suk was looking through the pictures Jong Kook and Gary had taken.  Besides Gwang Soo, they'd been unable to identify the other people at the warehouse.  The warehouse was now under 24 hour surveillance but Jae Suk was sure there was something in the pictures that could help.  He was about to give up when something caught his eye.  He'd seen the picture 3-4 times already but now he could see something more. Something that he'd missed before.  There was a the short man standing at an angle.  But what caught Jae Suk's eye was a partial reflection in a window.  Pulling up the image on his computer, Jae Suk blew it up and tried to up the quality of the image.  There wasn't enough detail to create a good image but the grainy image made his heart sink.  He put the picture through facial recognition software.  73% match.  That was enough to confirm Jae Suk's suspicions.  He printed the image.  Haha's back.