The Brothers

DECISION

 

Chapter 3 : The Brothers

 

“Jay-hyung, can’t you just stay here..” Eight years old Siwon asked.

His older brother shook his head, “I have to go, but I’ll always call you.. If I have a holidays, I will come to see you.. Don’t worry, Siwon.”

“I’ll miss you..” Siwon hugged her brother tightly.

“I’ll miss you too.” Jay hugged him back. Deep in his heart, he didn’t want to leave his little brother.

“Come on Jay, it’s time to go.” Their mother said. After her children released their hug, she kneeled in front of Siwon and put him in embrace. “I love you so much, my baby.”

“I love you too, Mom.” He replied.

“Be a nice boy and take care of yourself..” She said with a sad smile and got up, holding Jay’s hand.

“Goodbye Siwon..” Jay waved his hand as his mother lead him into the car.

“Goodbye hyung..” He waved him back with a sad look.

 

-------

 

The thirteen years old boy was coming back to his home after school. He stopped his feet in the front door to see his mother carrying a suitcase.

“Mom... Why are you packing up? Where will you go?” He asked.

His mother kneeled before him. “I have to go, Jay.. Take care of yourself, your father will be here soon. So, don’t go anywhere.”

“Mom, why do you leave me? Please, don’t go..” Jay was pleading with his teary eyes.

“Don’t cry Jay... You won’t be alone your father will come to accompany you..” Her tears rolled down her face. Her son shook his head in refusal. “Listen to me.. be a nice boy, stay healthy, and don’t forget to eat.” She caressed his cheeks.

Jay sobbed, “Mom... don’t leave me.”

“Goodbye Jay.. I love you.” She kissed Jay’s forehead and rushed to the taxi.

“Mom!!” Jay called, running to her mother but she didn’t look back and got in the taxi.

“Mom... “ He cried out, watching the taxi had gone far away.

 

    “....Mom...” 

 

                   “...Mom...”

 

Jay was awakened from his sleep after he had dreamed about his past life and stared at the ceiling. He didn’t know why he had a dream about his mother. His meeting with Siwon last time seemed like bringing his past live back to his memories again. Until this time, he still didn’t know about the reason why his mother left him. He sighed, sat up on his bed and looked at his watch. It was 6.22 in the morning. He was climbing down his bed. Walking to his window, Jay opened his window curtain to see the sunlight coming up from its place.

"Bright morning." Jay said. He grabbed his towel and headed to get a shower.

*

*

*

A loud bang was heard from the rifle as the bullet was shot out to its target. Siwon closed one of his eyes, trying to focus his sight in the center of his target. It was a wooden board that placed  a few meters in front of him. He positioned his rifle again and pulled the trigger, shooting the board.

“Nice shoot.” Donghae said when Siwon’s bullet hit the board center spot perfectly. Siwon put off his earplugs and smirked.

Donghae and Siwon had finished their musketry and put the rifle back to its place. Then, they sat and drank their coffee on table.

“You’re a sharpshooter.” Donghae said to Siwon.

“Not yet. I still have to do more practice.” He answered.

“It seems that you get closer with Jay.”

“Hn. He’s my older brother. My half brother exactly.”

“Half brother? I never knew you had a brother.”

Siwon took a sip his coffe and answered, “We have the same mother, but different father. My mother had had Jay before she got married with my father. Eight years later, our parents divorced.”

He nodded, “That’s a broken home story...” Donghae looked at his wacth. “I should go, I have something to do.”

“Hn.”

He tapped Siwon’s shoulder and left his friend alone.

*

*

*

Jay was stepping out the toilet and walking down the office corridor. Then, something caught his attention. He stopped his feet in sudden and hid behind the wall, so that person could not see him.  ‘Donghae? What is he doing in Information System Center?’ He thought. Donghae looked at his surrounding before he closed the door behind with his ID card and left the the room. Jay was curious about what his friend was doing there, so he decided to follow him secretly. But, his steps was stopped when someone called his name.

“Jay!” Siwon called him from behind.

Jay turned around, “What do you want?”

“Nothing. I’m just testing your ears.” He said, walking pass him.

“Geez... Iceberg. You’re really annoying.” He grumbled.

Jay was looking for Donghae again, but he had been out of sight. Jay sighed in disappointment. He then glanced at the way Siwon had gone, thingking for a moment before continued his step in Siwon’s direction.

“Hey, Siwon! Wait!” Jay called.

“Hn?” Siwon answered as he kept walking. He was not bothering to stop.

Jay sped up his step to catch up with his brother. “Where are you going?” He asked.

“Why do you always want to know everything?“

“Hey, you’re not answering my question!”

Siwon rolled his eyes. “Whatever.”

“Siwon!” Someone called him. The two brothers stopped in their way, looking at the man who walked closer to them.

“Leeteuk?” Siwon called his friend.

“I want to tell you that I have an important case that I can’t leave. So, I can’t go with you to patrol.” He told him.

Siwon shrugged, “It’s okay.”

Leeteuk glanced at Jay. “Jay, could you replace me?”

“What?” Jay looked at Siwon then looked at Leeteuk again. He didn’t know why he asked him to do this, but he thought that this was a good chance to know about the way his little brother do his job. He looked at his watch and answered, “I have no assignment till this afternoon, so I’ll go.”

Leeteuk smiled. “Great! Thanks Jay, Siwon, I leave..” He said and left them alone.

“Come on, Jay!” Siwon said as he started to walk out the hall.

“Where will we go?” Jay asked.

“You will see.”

“Let me tell you, I don’t like a surprise.” Jay said and walked to follow his younger brother.

*

*

*

The small town was looked so quiet when Jay and Siwon stopped their car down the street. There were just some poople doing their activities and it was an ordinary view. Jay was looking in every direction of the town from his car window and didn’t find anything strange.

“What will we do in this small town?” Jay asked.

“It’s reported that there was a gangster in this place. It’s what I’m going to find out.” Siwon said as he put his gun under his jacket.

“Do you think they had a relation with the secret organization we’re searching for?”

“Maybe. It’s the perfect place to have a trading.” He pushed the door open and got down the car with Jay following him.

They were walking through a traditional market and turned to the small tavern. They were coming inside the tavern. Siwon took his feet into the corner booth and sat. Jay just followed him and sat in his opposite. Jay looked at his surrounding to find most of the customers were men. Siwon was pouring the water to the plastic glass on the table and drank it. Then, a waitress came and offered them the menu.

“I want a cup of coffee and a pancake.” Jay said to the waitress and she wrote it down.

She turned to Siwon and said, “What about you, Sir?”

“Bring me a coffee too.” Siwon said.

“Okay, just two coffee and a pancake. I’ll be right back.” She smiled before left the siblings alone.

“I guess you’ve already known who is the gangster.” Jay said, leaning back on his seat.

“Hn.” Siwon was staring at the man in hat who was drinking his beer near the window. Jay set his eyes at him too.

“He is the person, right?” Jay asked.

“Hn.”

The man in hat was receiving a case from someone before him. Then, he gave the brown envelope in exchange. He took a glance inside the case and smirked, then headed to leave the tavern.

“Let’s go!” Siwon got up from his seat, running after him.

Jay was about to go, but a waitress came with their order. He took out the money from his pocket and put it on her tray. “You can own the change.” Jay said as he run after Siwon.

Darting into the crowd of people, he drifted through until his eyes caught his younger brother and steered his way towards it.

Siwon kept following the man in hat. The man felt that he had been followed, so he sped up his run and turned to an alley. Siwon run through an alley too, he didn’t want to lose his track. Jay had been already behind him. The man was getting near with his car, but they would not reach him in time because of some men were blocking their way, stopped the two agents in place. Jay took a glance at the man they were looking for, but he had already gotten in his car and drove away.

“He was gone, Siwon. Now, we have another problem to solve.” Jay said as he looked at his surrounding, they were five men standing around him along with their muscular bodies.

Jay and Siwon were already in action, backs pressed against each other while their eyes scanned their enemies.

“Are you ready, Siwon?” Jay asked.

“Hn.” Siwon answered.

Jay was looking around to see a flask of milk on the trash bin. He reached it and dived around, swinging his arm and sending the flask flying. It hit the closest man straight on the face, and he fell backward. The other man run up at Jay. Jay made his move by punching one of them in the face, kicking his stomach.

Siwon dodged every punch aimed to him, countering with a leg to the side that sent the man sliding across the ground. The other attacker was faster than first, dodging his attack as fast as he dodged theirs. Wheeling around, Siwon hit his fist on the nose. The man clutched his face and groaned in pain.

“That’s not bad.” A man in front of Jay was saying, his eyes staring dangerously. “Now, how will you dodge this?” The man took out a dagger and sending it towards Jay. Jay avoided it as many as he could, grabbing a trash bin lid nearby as the shield. Then, a sharp pain was felt in his arm, knowing that he had missed one.

“Damn.” Jay looked at his upper arm to find a gash that was bleeding. Then, a kick was landed onto his chest. Jay fell backward onto the ground.

The man was walking closer to Jay. “Do you have any last words?” He said and charged the dagger to Jay’s direction. Jay widened his eyes, watching it in horror. Then, a loud bang was heard, the dagger was flying off from his hand. The man looked aside to see Siwon with his gun. Jay used this chance. He raised his leg up to kick his stomach, sending him backward. Siwon run at the man hit him hard on the head, making him falling onto the ground. He saved his gun back and walked closer to Jay.

“Are you okay?” Siwon asked, holding out his hand for Jay.

“Yeah, I just got a small wound.” He took Siwon’s hand and got to his feet. Then, some local cops was coming and capturing the men.

“Aid is always coming late.” Jay muttered, gripping his wounded arm.

“You’re expecting an aid? Don’t you have something to protect yourself?” Siwon asked.

“I don’t bring anything because I thought this was just a regular patrol.”

“As an agent, you have to get ready with everything. Idiot.”

Hearing that word, Jay widened his eyes. “What did you say?! I am idiot? Why did you always like to piss me off huh?!” He got mad.

Jay and Siwon were having a staring contest for a few seconds before Siwon broke the contest and turned around. He walked back to the town, hands in his pockets. “Come on, you have to treat your wound.” He said without looking back.

“Geez...” Jay stared at him in annoyance before stepped to follow his brother. ‘I can’t believe that I have this kind of younger brother.’ He thought.

*

*

*

Someone was sitting quietly in his work room in NII headquarter, watching at his computer monitor that showed the profile of NII agents in details. He entered the password to log in and searched for the name of Jay Kim and Choi Siwon in the program. It didn’t need a long time to get it. Then he compared the data of the two agents, then he took out a piece of paper about Kim Youngmin’s data.

“This Youngmin had been known having a relationship with Hwang Sebin.” He said right after he read the paper. “Hwang Sebin?” He looked at the agents profile and found something. Hwang Sebin was Jay and Siwon mother. “Siwon’s father name was Choi Junghoon, but Jay’s biological father was unindentified.” He looked once again at Jay’s profile and he read his real name, “Kim Young Deok” He paused for a moment. “Kim?” His lips turned into a smirk.

“I found you.”

He copied all the data related and saved it to his disk before logged out from the program. Then, he walked to the round table in the middle of the room and collected all the documents and books. He didn’t know that a torn piece of paper was flying down onto the floor, under the table. He put all the documents in his folder and headed to leave his room.