Envy

Escape

 

 

2nd November, 0100 hours

 

“The key to it is to control your head,” Luhan said to the crowd of six in front of him. Beside him stood a small whiteboard marked with a diagram of what Sehun could identify as the anatomy of the human brain. There were a few names he knew and a lot more that was foreign to him.

“As I’ve said before, the scientists detect the use of our powers by the device transplanted in our wrist. Irregularity in the pulse and heartbeat would immediately trigger the alarm thus the guards’ arrival.”

Sehun barely understood his next words as Luhan pointed to the diagram and attempt to explain in simple words how their abnormality is connected to various parts of the brain. It has been so long since he was in school and he began to regret wandering off during lessons when he still had the chance to go to classes. Sehun glanced at Sulli who was sitting beside him. She was intrigued with Luhan’s lecture despite the slight frown when she didn’t understand what he was saying. He smiled, thinking how adorable her determination to learn was.

“Basically, the most important thing to do is to remain calm. If not, then the distress signals would reach the scientists and all of this would crash down before it even starts,” Luhan summarized.

Luna was the first to raise her hand.

“What does this have to do with the plan? Why can’t we just go on a rampage and break out of here?”

“That’s a good point and also something countless of ‘patients’ here have tried before and ultimately lead them to their deaths. They had formed groups and went berserk on the whole facility but every single one of them was inexperienced and failed to control their powers. They were all killed, if not by the guards, then by their recklessness.”

“How long have you been staying here? How did you know all of this?”

Luhan smiled bitterly. “I have my sources.”

 Soojung was next to raise her hand.

“I’m still confused about the plan.”

“My plan involves using our powers as means of escape. However, the problem is all of us were taken before we were given a chance to control and develop it which makes us easy targets. So, I’ve created a training regime for us to do this and by next month, we’ll be out of here,” Luhan explained.

His answers, Sehun noticed, were still vague and didn’t explain much to them despite the fact that they were taking part on an all or nothing mission. Luhan should at least have the decency to tell them his plans fully. Sehun realized after awhile of having his heads up in the clouds, that the crowd around him had dispersed and moved to the small board next to Luhan. He got up and joined the rest of the crowd.

There was a list of names on the board, all paired in two and on top of it scribbled ‘Training Partners’.

He was immediately irritated. Not only was he stuck training with Luhan, that jerk also forgot to include Sulli for training.

“Excuse me,” Sehun turned to Sulli’s voice although she was not talking to him. She was talking to Luhan, “I didn’t see my name on the list. Did you forget about me?”

Her voice was timid and Sehun could see that she was embarrassed to be asking the question to him, like she shouldn’t be here with the rest of them. He felt rage boiling inside of him.

Luhan gave her a hard stare before replying, “Do you know what you can do?”

“No,” Sulli admitted, embarrassment screaming from her tone.

“Then stay put and don’t stand in our way.” Luhan left her without so much as a glance.

Sehun, who saw the whole thing, stomped towards Luhan in anger.

“Oh there you are. Ready to start our- UNF”

Sehun had punched him right in the face.

“How dare you treat her like that!”

Luhan stood up, his lips bleeding, and stared hard at Sehun.

“I didn’t say anything that’s not true.”

That was the last straw for Sehun. Once again, he charged towards Luhan, jaw clenched and fist balled, ready to deliver a death blow.

“YOU SON OF A-“

“Sehun, please stop!”

Sulli halted him before he could go any further. “It’s alright, Sehun. I’m fine, I really am.”

Sehun looked at her eyes, moist with tears and realized he may have gone too far. He kept his hands at the side and glowered at Luhan before going to the corner with Sulli. He realized, a little too late, that everyone in the room had stopped their activities after he punched Luhan.

After a few seconds, Luhan turned to the crowd of six in front of him. “Now that is a perfect example of why you should control your emotions. If Sehun here, had used his powers instead of his fist, we’re all probably on our way to meet death. Rage, as well as many other strong emotions, would only increase your chances of being discovered,” he paused.

“Today, you will practice how to use your powers while controlling your emotions. You will have to monitor each other to ensure control is practiced and nothing goes awry. Your partners will change every session according to your elements and you are required to wear these bands when you train. It’ll help reduce the device’s sensitivity to your pulse so you can train.”

Luhan handed the bands to Soojung, Jongin, Sehun and Sulli. Sehun realized this must be the secret to how Chanyeol was able to use his powers freely.

“Wear it every time you feel the need to use your powers. We need all the practice we can get. Just remember to be careful. We don’t want anyone else finding out about this,” At this, his eyes went directly at Chanyeol who looked sheepish immediately. “Alright, to your training partners!”

Everyone dispersed except for Sehun who was reluctant to leave Sulli alone.

“Are you sure you’ll be fine?”

 “I’m fine, Sehun. Go!” She smiled, nudging him gently.

Sehun felt his heart fluttered and if it wasn’t because of Luhan calling his name repeatedly, he would never have left her.

Luhan scoffed when Sehun finally appeared in front of him, his eyes never left Sulli.

“Look, if you don’t keep your head in the game, we might as well be screwed. Now take your eyes off of your girlfriend and show me what your measly wind powers can do.”

Sehun grunted and reluctantly turned his eyes away from Sulli.

 

As hard as it was for Sehun to admit, Luhan was actually a very good training partner. Sehun was long out of practice, not that he had many before, but Luhan helped make things somewhat easier. Before long, he could remember the feel of air swirling around him, as if he could touch them as they obey to his commands. He played with the air surrounding him, controlling it to his will before letting it go. It was like watching blood flowing back after squeezing a finger too hard it turned blue. He had forgotten how good it felt to play with the wind and just let go.

Luhan didn’t stay long as he had to monitor the others too but Sehun didn’t mind. He was having too much fun reconciling with his ability that he forgot the animosity between Luhan and him and what was at stake here. The thought of Sulli sitting alone suddenly came to mind. He decided to cheer her up a bit and tried to regain control over the air.

Sehun managed to gather a light breeze and flew it towards Sulli, intending to tickle her ad make her laugh. But he lost control over the breeze when he saw there was someone else beside her making her smile and laugh. His jaw clenched and fists tightened for the second time that night as the green monster began possessing him.

Chanyeol.

He closed his eyes, trying hard to keep his control as he could feel the army of wind, as strong as his envy, ready to charge behind him. No, he had no right to be jealous. Sulli was not his anyway.

He sighed and turned away before anything else spun out of control.

 

 

 

 


 

 

Author's Note:

The second arc finally begun! Luhan is not a bad guy, I promise. He just went through a lot to get to where he is now. I'll reveal bit by bit about him in the following chapters. The next chapter will be longer than this hopefully. 

You may or may not have notice that the chapters stated when you browse from the tags said this story has 17 chapters but you're only seeing 11 of them. So good news! Chapter 17 will probably be the last chapter for this story and chapter 14 and 15 will be a double update! My deadline is approaching and school just started again but I'm eager to finish this story. I've requested for an extension of 4 weeks because school work can be very unpredictable once you're in college :p

Thank you everyone for subscribing and commenting! Constructive criticism is encouraged but please do so in a non-offensive way :)