Chapter 4

Will you be here forever?

We were walking towards the café when Jiyong suddenly reach out his hand to grab my hand. I looked up at him shocked by his sudden move, he turned his head towards the side to cover his smirk. I couldn’t help but giggle at his childness. I smiled as I grabbed onto his hands a little tighter.
 

Jiyong POV
‘Brinnnng Brinnnnng’ Mi-young’s phone rang.
“Yebosaeyo, uh yeah I am Mi-Young……” Mi-Young looked towards me with an apologetic look on her face as she excused herself to talk on the phone in private.
I was waiting for her to finish her call when I heard her scream, “WHAT! NO THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING” I looked towards her as I saw her sitting on the bench with tears streaming down her face. I was in total shock; I didn’t know what to do. I raced towards her and caught her before she fell off the bench. She was shaking uncontrollably as her phone slipped out of her hand and crashed onto the floor.
“Mi-Young, what’s wrong?!” I asked her.
She just shook her head unable to say anything. I hugged her as she continued to cry, soaking my shirt with her tears.
“My mum was the only family that I had left and now she’s gone.” She said when she finally calmed down.
“What do you mean?” I asked her.
“The hospital called… My p-parents died in a c-car accident….” Then she burst out in tears again.

 

Mi-Young POV
My whole world felt as if it collapsed. I couldn’t believe what I just heard. Is this really true? My mum is gone… forever? I never thought that this day would come and even if I did I would’ve expected to feel free and alive because I wouldn’t have to live my life in fear anymore, but now I felt more alone than ever. I realised that my mum was the only family that I’ve got left.
Jiyong drove me to the hospital that my mum and step-dad were. I went into their room and saw my mum’s lifeless bodies lying on the hospital bed. Kyoung was no where to be seen.
I couldn’t move, I was frozen. I wanted to cry and scream at the top of my lungs.
“I’ll give you a moment…” Jiyong spoke softly. He gave me a tight hug and kissed my forehead before he walked out the room.
I walked slowly towards my mother’s bed and sat beside her. I looked at her blood covered face as tears started to fill up my eyes.
“We tried to save her. We did everything we could but it was unsuccessful, but your father survived, he is currently in coma right now. I’m so sorry about your mother…” The nurse said sympathetically. “We found this letter addressed to you in her in her pocket….” The nurse said, as she placed the paper on the table beside me, before walking out of the room.
I wiped away the tears before taking the letter in my hands.
I opened the letter;

 

Mi-Young-ah, If you are reading this, then I’m most probably gone. I know I’ve been a badhorrible mother to you ever since your father passed on. I know it may have seemed like I didn’t love or care for you anymore but I just wanted to let you know that I love you and I always will. I know that a simple sorry cannot fix the wounds you must feel in your heart, or the great hatred you may have towards me, but I just want to tell you that I’m sorry, I really am sorry.
I really did want to be a good mother. I wanted to raise you up well, and give you a bright future but after your dad passed on, everything just collapsed. I couldn’t deal with it emotionally. I couldn’t provide you with the future that I had planned so well for you. I couldn’t send you to a good school for your education; I couldn’t even but you a new pair of shoes. I hated myself so much because I couldn’t give you everything I wanted for you. To get rid of the pain that I felt I turned to alcohol It was the only thing that seemed to numb the pain that I felt. I met Kyoung at a club. He seemed like a nice man. He promised me that he could provide our family with money and he could give you a good future, so I accepted him. It was one of the worst mistakes i have made in my life. I’m sorry that because of me I caused you to suffer. I tried to run away from him with you many times but he would always find us and abuse me whenever he did.  I hated everything about my life so I drank myself to sleep every night. My health was getting worst and worst as the days went by, and I knew my days were numbered. I couldn’t bear to see you live such a horrible life because of me, so I tried to forget you… I tried to act as if I didn’t have a daughter so try and get rid of the pain I felt within me. I know I am a pathetic mother and human and you may never forgive me, but please Mi-Young just understand that I really do love you and I care for you.
Mi-Young-ah, my beautiful daughter, please don’t cry anymore. I want you to be happy and enjoy life from now on.  Please know that I loved you, I still do love you, and I will always love you. If you ever start to miss me, just look up to the clouds and know that I will be staring down and looking out for you. My beautiful daughter, please smile and go live life to the fullest. I’m happy now. I get to reunite with your real father and get to spend forever with him.
I’m so sorry for everything, I love you.
                                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                              - Your Mother

 

A stream of tears rushed down my face. I hugged the letter close to my chest as I continued to cry.
“Mom, how could you leave me like this? How could you leave this very earth? You left without saying a word to me, you left me with only this letter. Is this really all that you’re going to leave me with? You didn’t even have the decency to say this to face. How could you leave when you haven’t apologized to me in person? We haven’t spoken in years mom! I missed having my mother around. Did you know that I cried every night because I missed you so much? I forgot what the love of a mother felt like. I missed the days when you used to hug me and kiss me telling me that everything was going to be alright. Even though you acted as though you didn’t care about me and treated me like trash I still loved you. I love you because you gave me the gift of life and I love you for everything you had done for me in the past. Even thought things changed and you acted as though I was nothing to you, you were still everything to me. I hope that you’re happy up there now. You’re in a better place now walking around in the heavens above. I love you….”
I picked up my mothers’ hand held it tight. I haven’t held her hand for 10 years now. I missed it. Even though her hand was cold it still felt warm.
I took in a deep breath before I wiped away my tears and walked outside the room. Jiyong was standing right at the door with a sad expression on his face. He looked up at me sympathetically and embraced me in his strong arms. I laid my head on his shoulder and hugged him tighter while the tears began to fall again.