Chapter 1

Will you be here forever?

Its dark, this world is dark, cruel and painful.

“SHUT UP! I DON’T WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE EVER AGAIN! GET OUT!”
-slap-
My mother falls to the floor with blood dripping from .
I can’t scream nor can I run. I can only stand there, my feet glued to the floor, and watch with my innocent eyes, my mother getting beaten up by my violent and drunk step –father. I hug my worn out and nearly shredded teddy bear close to my chest as I bite my lips to hold back the tears. I want to scream for help or at least run to my mother’s side and take the beating for her. But I can’t, my feet just won’t move.
What could I do anyways? I’m just an innocent 5 year old child witnessing her mother getting beat up.
I can’t take it anymore. I softly walk up the creaky stairs and hide under my sheets trying to block out what’s going on downstairs. I can’t hold it in anymore. My tears, one by one, slowly drop down my face, as I cry myself to sleep.

I woke up to the creak of my door opening. I sit up as the light from outside shine into my eyes. I squint. I see my mother’s figure emerging from the light.
“Mummy?” I ask.
“Yes, I’m here.” She replies.
I can hear her sniffling. She must’ve finished crying.
She takes a step into my room as she closes the door behind her. She slowly and cautiously walks over to me and takes a seat on my bed.
She pats my hair and kisses my forehead. I can’t help but to let a single tear drop, I want to let it all out, but no! I must be strong, I can’t cry in front of mummy! I don’t want to give her anymore problems, I must be strong, for my mum.
“Mi-Young ah~” My mum calls me.
I look at her face with my big brown eyes.
“Yes mummy?” I ask her.
She looks down at me and I stare into her eyes. I can see the sadness and pain behind her eyes that she tries so hard to cover. Her once beautiful face was now covered with cuts and bruises. I held out my hand and touched her cheek. She brought her hand to her face and put it over mine. I smiled at her. Her touch was warm and it made me feel safe inside.
She hugs me as she leans her head against the headboard. Her arm over my shoulder, I rest my head onto her chest and close my eyes. My mother’s head falls onto mine as she quickly falls asleep.
I pull the blanket up so it cover us both.
“I love you mummy.” I whisper before my eyes close shut.