The Fall

The Fallen Casanova

A/N: My exams are finally over. As a reward for all the supporters, this chapter is slightly longer than the previous ones ^^ We’re entering university drama in the next chapter!

This is how I imagined Ga Eul’s clothes to be when she left for school (with the handbag, accessories and hairstyle) [http://www.yesstyle.com/en/puffy-boatneck-knit-top-pastel-one-size/info.html/pid.1024110139]. I know she usually wears dresses or skirts but I wanted her to have a sporty look (BIG hint for the next chapter!)

@jlynne: Yes, I’ve uploaded the same story at Lovers Unparalleled. I’ll update both of them at the same time :D
@Shamira: This chapter’s cliffhanger is great too! Hahas xD
@pinkgirl: If you love jealous Yi Jeong, wait till you read this chapter *evil laughter*
@madz67: Here’s the new chapter. Hope you enjoy it ;P
@isabelle: Looks like everyone loves jealous Yi Jeong, here’s more of that side of him :]
@sue_ada: Another fan of jealous Yi Jeong ^^ Shinhwa is cruel but they’re actually helping the relationship between Yi Jeong and Ga Eul :D
@lilacgirl28: I’m so sorry for the late update. Here it is~


Chapter 3: The Fall

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

–      Mahatma Gandhi

President Kang was enraged that Yi Jeong had helped Ga Eul. This act of aiding Ga Eul was deemed as a declaration that the F4 was openly opposing her and supporting the relationship between Jun Pyo and Jan Di. She vented her fury by withdrawing all Shinhwa Group’s investment in Woo Song Museum. Even though Jun Pyo was the heir to Shinhwa Group, his mother still had substantial influence on the company’s decision. Thus, Jun Pyo’s attempts to change the decision were futile in the face of his authoritative mother.

Shinhwa Group, a chaebol, was influential in the business world. In spite of all the efforts that Yi Jeong did to salvage his family business, it was not enough to fight off Shinhwa Group. In the end, Woo Song Museum landed in deep financial troubles. To make matters worst, Kang Hee Soo deliberately proposed a takeover of the museum to the board of directors.

That was not the most pressing problem of all. The greatest problem was that Yi Jeong had nowhere to live. His mansion was taken away by Shinhwa Group to repay Woo Song Museum’s debts.


Yi Jeong shook his head in distress. How did he end up here?

He stood rigidly in front of Ga Eul’s apartment as memories engulfed him…

“I’m washing my hands of this issue,” Woo Bin stated matter-of-factly.

Yi Jeong turned to face his other friend for help. “I second it!” Ji Hoo added.

“How can you guys do this? Leaving me in the lurch? And you call yourselves my buddies!”

“I don’t want to do this either. But I can’t afford to offend Kang Hee Soo. I need to feed my men and their families.”

“My grandfather is well advanced in years. He can’t take any shock.”

“This is ridiculous!”

“Jan Di says you can live with Ga Eul. Ga Eul doesn’t mind you living with her.” Jun Pyo’s voice rang out crystal clear as he offered the only solution to Yi Jeong’s problem.

The Casanova’s reverie shattered when the door burst open, revealing Ga Eul in a pale rose top and white linen shorts combo that made her look like a raspberry sundae.

“Come in sunbae!” Ga Eul enthusiastically invited him in with a wide smile plastered on her face.

The apartment was simply but tastefully furnished. It didn’t have any renowned artworks or extravagant furniture. Hence, it fell short of his aesthetic standards but it would have to do for now. He exhaled deeply at the dim prospect of ever regaining his social status while Ga Eul guided him towards the bedroom.

“I’ll be taking the bed so you’ll have to sleep on the mattress.” She pointed to the large mattress beside the queen-sized bed. In anticipation of his arrival, the mattress was covered with a blue bed sheet. “I hope you don’t mind it.”

“I do mind it.” The sarcasm was acid on the Casanova’s tongue as he examined the filthy mattress.

“Yah! So Yi Jeong!” Ga Eul fumed back at him, a scowl forming on her brow. “You have no other choice. You should be grateful that you have a roof over your head. If you mind it, why don’t you sleep on the streets?”

Yi Jeong’s eyes blazed with anger as he stared at her. “Yah! Chu Ga Eul! What’s with that tone of yours?”

“I can use any tone I want. You’re a commoner like me now, So Yi Jeong.” She crossed her arms as her voice lowered an octave. “If it isn’t because I wanted to repay your help, I wouldn’t even take you in.” She glared at him and uncrossed her arms. “So count yourself lucky!” With that said, she left the room.

How dare she talked to him like that! It wasn’t as if he was a stray dog! Still furious, Yi Jeong plopped down on the mattress. How could she change her attitude towards him so quickly? Just a few days ago, she was caring. But now? Totally y!

Wait— Did I just describe her as “caring”?

Damn it!


“How are you?” Woo Bin clapped Yi Jeong’s back.

Woo Bin had called Yi Jeong out for a playboy’s party. Honestly, the Casanova did miss his old days and was literally dead for the past few days – without his luxurious lifestyle, exquisite food, designer clothes, his orange sports car and women. Sultry ones at that matter. He was bored of seeing only one woman everyday – Chu Ga Eul.

If word got out that So Yi Jeong had spent days doing nothing to a woman despite being in the same room, his notorious reputation as the Casanova would crumble.

“Do you need to ask? Can’t you tell?”

“Alright bro. Calm down! All your expenses will be on me,” Woo Bin mocked his friend. He enjoyed rubbing salt into Yi Jeong’s wound, to wipe that arrogant smirk off his face for once.

“Thanks. You're so very kind.” Sarcasm was apparent in Yi Jeong's reply.

“I know.” The Don Juan exchanged a tacit glance with his friend and they parted ways. It was time for the hunting game.

As a ladies’ man, the Casanova exploited his enchanting smile and charming looks while in search for the night’s prey.

A brunette in the corner of the pub arrested his attention. She was certainly beautiful, with her finely curved figure and her rich brown locks. The Casanova approached her confidently and sent her provocative winks. When he reached his prey, he casually started a conversation with her. Her exposed back dress gave the Casanova easy access to her soft skin. His fingers slowly traced her spine as he pulled her closer.


Yi Jeong didn’t drink much this time. He only drank a few cups and was clearly sober. He reached Ga Eul’s apartment with the voluptuous brunette in his arms. After scanning the card, he entered the house. Ga Eul had given him the card so that it was easier for him to enter and leave the apartment. Luckily, the landlord didn’t mind as long as they both handed in the rent on time. The Casanova captivated the female landlord, thus explaining the lax terms in the lease.

With the apartment being pitch-black, he stumbled in his steps towards the bedroom. He was well aware of the presence of another woman in the living room but he didn’t care. This was exactly what he was planning to do.

Fiddling with the zipper to his jacket, the brunette smiled secretly and looked at him through her lashes. She put a hand on his chest. Then, she slid her hand under his jacket and put her other hand on his chest. She slid her two hands upwards, pushing his jacket off his shoulders. Her fingers then crept under his shirt. The Casanova locked his hands around her neck while his lips touched the hollow beneath her ear. He continued to press her against the wall, ravaging this stranger in front of her. Although his body was focused on this brunette, his mind had wandered far away, concentrating on the other woman in the apartment.

It shouldn’t be long now. As expected, the door swung open and clicked shut the next minute. Yi Jeong abruptly stopped what he was doing and looked at the entrance.

“Why are you stopping, hottie?”

“Get out!” The Casanova snapped; his face was dark and grim. This immediately silenced the brunette who hastily exited the apartment.

Finally left alone, Yi Jeong pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger. He then let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding. This should ward her off. She needed to know that he wasn’t a nice man. At the back of his mind, doubts lingered. It wasn’t the real reason why he pushed her away. He was apprehensive, apprehensive that he couldn’t reciprocate her love, apprehensive that if they become a couple, she wouldn’t be blissful.

No matter how much he tried to deny it, he was a downright coward.


Tears that had been dammed up for a long time poured like a torrent down her cheeks as soon as Ga Eul exited her apartment. Her heart, just as it thought it could escape pain’s terrible grasp, cried out once more. She clutched her chest in an attempt to even out her breathing. It had been days since the previous incident. She thought she had gotten over him, that she would not feel the searing pain again.

She was wrong.

She hadn’t gotten over him.

Chu Ga Eul hadn’t gotten over So Yi Jeong.

“Ga Eul-ssi?” The sudden voice shook her out of her reverie. With a worried expression, Si Won deposited the garbage bag and ran towards Ga Eul. “What happened?”

The tears continued to run down Ga Eul’s face and she could not speak a word more. Si Won instantly understood and guided her towards his apartment.


“Feeling much better now?”

“Gomawo Siwon-ssi.” Ga Eul grasped the mug of hot cocoa from him and thanked her neighbor in a soft whisper.

It had been an hour or so since that incident. Ga Eul had managed to stop crying but her eyes were still red and puffy. Si Won had been a helpful friend the entire time by consoling her.

After a few minutes of silence, Si Won decided to break the ice. “Yi Jeong has something to do with all this right?”

Ga Eul, wanting to be mum, fixated her eyes upon the mug.

“Those chocolates… Valentine’s Day… Were they for Yi Jeong?” Si Won was able to piece the jigsaw puzzles together because he remembered seeing Ga Eul making the chocolates during home economics class. On top of that, Ga Eul was like an open book – it was easy for anyone to decipher her expressions.

Looking up at Si Won, Ga Eul’s eyes widened in utter shock. The impact had been shocking enough to leave her in a slightly stunned state for a few seconds while her grasp unconsciously loosened.

CRASH!

The mug had appeared to take on a life of its own, as it jumped from her hand and fell, slowly, onto her pajamas, the hot brown liquid outpacing the falling cup, exploding into a brown patch on her clothes, while the mug fell onto the floor and broke into pieces.

“Oh no!” The two occupants exclaimed in unison.

“I’ll clear the mess,” Si Won spoke, “Why don’t you change your clothes?” He continued, noticing the brown stain that was spreading.

Ga Eul looked down at her clothes and nodded in agreement.

“Here, take these.” Si Won handed Ga Eul a white dress shirt and a pair of shorts. Ga Eul understood that she didn’t have another choice and hesitantly accepted them.

In the end, Ga Eul took a shower because the sticky liquid frustrated her. Si Won was amused at her when she emerged from the bathroom. The shirt was so large that it covered her shorts. Due to the largeness of the dress shirt, Ga Eul had to roll up the sleeves but it was a futile attempt. The shirt was untucked and hung loosely, creating a hilarious image whereby Ga Eul looked like a dwarf in giant’s apparel. Ga Eul had to give Si Won a few light punches on his arm to prevent him from bursting out in laughter.

That night, Si Won insisted that Ga Eul should sleep in his bedroom while he slept on the couch in the living room. Lying on the comfortable bed, Ga Eul’s mind kept replaying the devastating images. Why? Why did he do this to her? Did he do it intentionally? If he did, why did he want to push her away? She was plunged into another complex web of confusion as waves of sleepiness overcame her. Sunbae…


Ga Eul cringed her facial muscles tight in disobedience as the sunlight hit her soft face. The sharp rap against the door only caused her to tug the blanket over her. She heard shuffling steps, faint noises and a call for her. “Ga Eul-ssi, you have a visitor!” After much effort, Ga Eul had to haul herself up from the bed and moved towards the door.

To her surprise, it was Yi Jeong – in the worst shape possible. His disheveled hair was standing in every direction. His face was puffy with tiredness. This wasn’t what Ga Eul expected – not in the early morning, not in her lifetime. Yi Jeong always looked suave in the days they lived together. His motto was to be charming at all times; there was no exception. Yet, today he broke this rule.

“Sunbae…” Her voice died away as her gaze lingered on the circles under his eyes. What happened the previous night? Didn’t he have an enjoyable time? Why did he look so exhausted?

The burning gaze of Yi Jeong boring through her made her cheeks burned. She observed his face as surprise gave way to puzzlement and then anger. The next moment, his hand locked her wrist in an unbreakable hold, dragging her out of Si Won’s apartment.

A flash of confusion crossed her face at his abnormal behavior. “What are you doing? You’re hurting me. Let me go!” Ga Eul struggled with all her strength but to no avail; Yi Jeong had a firm grip on her wrist.

“Didn’t you hear what she said?”

Surprise flitted across Ga Eul’s face as Si Won grabbed her other wrist. Yi Jeong stopped short in his tracks and shot Si Won an enraged glare. The two men were locked in a glaring contest as they shot each other menacing glares. This only made Ga Eul panicked and at a loss of what to do or say.

“Both of you let me go!” She flung her arms and succeeded in breaking free. Then, she looked back and forth between the two of them although they didn’t return her gaze. “I’ll go change,” she declared, giving them one final glance before she headed towards her own apartment.

It didn’t take long for her to change into a gray boatneck knit top and a pair of shorts. She spent most of the time to double-check the rooms for any traces of the brunette. That’s weird… Despite being elated to have found nothing, doubts persisted in Ga Eul’s mind that the brunette might have removed her belongings and left during dawn.

After packing her bag, she skipped to the doorway, apparently in a good mood. “Okay, I’m done!”

Her smile faltered at the scene that greeted her. It was horrifying. Ga Eul stared in disbelief as her jaw dropped. She expected the two to behave while she was gone. But no, they behaved like children. The innocent country bumpkin had stumbled upon a fierce engagement between the Casanova and the neighbor.

Yi Jeong and Si Won were strangling each other by the collars in a death-choking hold.


Glossary
Chaebol: A form of business conglomerate. They are powerful global multinationals owning numerous international enterprises
Gomawo: An informal way of saying “Thanks”, only to be used with close and intimate friends and family.