Her Knight

The Fallen Casanova

A/N: Here’s Ga Eul’s bag [http://www.yesstyle.com/en/pg-beauty-bow-pleated-cross-bag-ivory-one-size/info.html/pid.1023084611] and clothes [http://www.yesstyle.com/en/baimm-set-cardigan-sleeveless-babydoll-dress-halter-top-cardigan-black/info.html/pid.1024104192]. I thought the cream color really suited her innocence.

@madz67: This chapter should be cute ^^
@lilacgirl28: Wow, you’re the first person to post on my wall. Thank you xD
@sleep_deprived: I’m reading "Keeping the Casanova" too :] Well, here’s a cute chapter of SoEul for you~
@JunHyo_KhunToria: Three cheers for SoEul and BOF!
@lidz_is_kpoplovaz: This chapter is slightly shorter but there are SoEul moments :P Uee is really evil here. Grr… But Ga Eul will be saved :]


Chapter 6: Her Knight

Love begins by taking care of the closest ones – the ones at home.

–      Mother Teresa

Ga Eul entered a cubicle, locked the door and sat herself comfortably on the toilet seat. She heaved a sigh of relief and was about to exit the restroom cubicle when she heard low, muffled footsteps.

“How could you two-time Yi Jeong-ssi? Dating Si Won-ssi behind his back? Huh, Ga Eul?” The distinct chorus of three girls immediately revealed who they were. It didn’t take a genius to figure out who they were and Ga Eul knew that it was the Mean Girls Trio.

But Ga Eul didn’t understand what they meant; confusion roared in her ears. “What?! I didn’t—” Her voice broke off in a gasp as a bucket of water was poured over her whole body. She was soaked from head to toe with no dry spot on her body. That was one huge bucket.

Ga Eul seldom got angry but she was angry now. How could they accuse her when they didn’t even have evidence? And what made them think they could take matters into their own hands? She tugged at the handle of the door but it didn’t budge. “Let me out!”

Peals of malicious laughter could be heard as the Mean Girls Trio ignored Ga Eul’s pleas and sauntered out of the restroom.

Ga Eul internally cursed them straight to the fiery pits of Hades. Wait till she gets her hands on them… Thinking on her feet, she quickly reached for her cell phone in her pocket. She scrolled through the list of contacts, lingering on one particular name.

Yi Jeong sunbae.

Ga Eul was having an internal battle – whether to call him or not. Part of her wanted to call him, to rely on him but a small voice in her head told her that it was better not to call him. How could she ask him for help? He didn’t have any obligation to do so. They weren’t close friends, not to mention lovers. Even if she called him, would he help? Memories of Yi Jeong teasing her flooded her mind, causing the prospect of him coming to her rescue looked dimmer. And there was Yoo Jin…

Ga Eul was unsure whether to help her friend. It’s not that she didn’t want to. It’s just that her courage isn’t that strong yet. She didn’t know if she could bear the sight of them being together and acting all lovey-dovey. Yoo Jin’s love for Yi Jeong was undeniable but she wasn’t sure whether Yoo Jin’s love was reciprocated. But if Yi Jeong’s wish was to be with Yoo Jin, she would gladly give up… His happiness outweighed everything else…

She shook her head to dispel all her thoughts. No, there must be another way. Jan Di! That’s it. Ga Eul swiftly called her best friend only to realize that there was no signal. She released an exasperated sigh, annoyed at herself for entering a dead zone. Why did she use this restroom of all the ones on campus? Oh yeah. Because it was the nearest one to her classroom. Urgh!


The familiar clang of the bell could be heard, signaling the dismissal time as students rushed out of classrooms. Yi Jeong took off down the corridor and headed towards Ga Eul’s classroom. Being a senior, Yi Jeong’s classes were different from Ga Eul’s.

Compared to other extracurricular activities, the basketball club had practices everyday. Coach Kang Dae had announced that since today was Friday, there would be no practice. This way, the team could have a good rest during the weekend.

To ensure her safety, Yi Jeong decided to accompany Ga Eul home. As a gentleman, he usually had this habit of walking girls home. But for Ga Eul… She was totally different from the other girls he met. She was a walking time-bomb, unpredictable and all. Trouble followed her wherever she went. Take her previous boyfriend for instance. Making her cry in the middle of the street. However, he didn’t want to appear worried so he put on a nonchalant expression when he entered her classroom.

Yi Jeong scanned the classroom only to discover that Ga Eul was absent. He glanced at Yoo Jin who was packing her things. “Um, do you know where Ga Eul-yang is?”

“Ga Eul-ssi?” Yoo Jin glimpsed at Ga Eul’s seat. “I think she went home. Look, her seat is empty.”

“Okay then. Thanks.”

As soon as Yi Jeong left the classroom, Yoo Jin strolled towards Ga Eul’s table. She reached her hand under the table and took out the ivory bow pleated cross bag. A horridly perfect smirk spilled along her lips.


What’s with Ga Eul-yang? Is she in a rush to go home? Or is she working the afternoon shift to earn more money? Yi Jeong wondered as he turned the corner of the corridor. She could have waited for him. Absorbed in his own thoughts, Yi Jeong didn’t pay much attention to the three girls that were heading his way.

“She deserves to be locked up,” Ginger asserted.

Sunny, on the contrary, had an uneasy look on her face. “I t-think we went too far.”

“Don’t worry,” Miranda assured Sunny, “The janitor will find her tomorrow.”

Yi Jeong brushed past them as the three girls gave him frightened looks and scampered down the hallway. Why were they so scared of him? Did he have something on his face? Yi Jeong rubbed his face and found that nothing was wrong. He shrugged his shoulders and continued his journey home.


Yi Jeong looked through the apartment window at the fading orange glow in the distance as the setting sun displayed the most brilliant of its colors. It was already evening and Ga Eul hadn’t return. Thinking that Ga Eul was working at the porridge shop, Yi Jeong had called Chun Sik an hour ago. Yet, Chun Sik told him that Ga Eul wasn’t there. This was weird. If she wasn’t there, where could she possibly be? Knowing Ga Eul’s character, Yi Jeong was certain that she wouldn’t just go to some place without informing anyone.

Something must have happened, he concluded.

She deserves to be locked up.

This sudden memory jerked Yi Jeong into action. Were they referring to Ga Eul-yang? It couldn’t be. She wasn’t one to offend people though her frankness was capable of irritating people. But to resort to locking her up… That was absurd.

Disturbed by the train of thought, Yi Jeong descended the stairs two steps at a time. He ran at full speed to the main road and hailed a taxi while praying that the girl being locked up wasn’t Ga Eul.


“Can’t you recommend someone better? All these students won’t do,” the director stated bluntly to the professor.

“But these are our best students, Director Lee.”

“No, no. I’ll come again another day so try to find better candidates.”

Director Lee stood up from the chair and headed out of the classroom, disappointed to have found no talents in Chung-Ang University.


When Yi Jeong arrived at the campus, he told the taxi driver to wait for him. Then, he ran with incredible swiftness to the school building. Janitor… Restroom… Near Ga Eul’s classroom… He logically reasoned in his brain the possible places that the three girls could confine her.

“Ga Eul-yang!” Yi Jeong shouted as loud as he could. He burst opened every cubicle door but they were all empty. Could he be wrong? Not wanting to give up, Yi Jeong stayed alert so that he could pick up any noise. But he was only greeted with silence. There was no sign of anyone else in school. A sigh heavily left the Casanova as he turned to leave.

“Y-Yi Jeong sunbae?” A voice of mere fright and distress weakly asked. It was thready but Yi Jeong knew better. It was her.

Without the need for his mind to rap orders, Yi Jeong’s body knew what to do. He automatically started to move faster, breaking into a run, as he headed towards the source of the voice. He skidded to a halt when he reached a restroom located in the corner. Someone had placed a sign on the door, indicating that the restroom was in a state of repair; the three girls wanted to deter people from entering. He threw the sign on the ground and entered the Ladies.

“Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong asked again to double check that this was the correct restroom as he opened every cubicle door.

“S-Sunbae.”

Just this word. This simple and yet all too familiar word. That was all he needed to confirm that she was here.

Yi Jeong fixated his eyes upon the last cubicle. The handle of the door was tied with thick ropes, preventing Ga Eul from escaping. He wanted to kick the door open but he was afraid that he would hurt Ga Eul in the process. “Ga Eul-yang, where are you? Are you sitting on the floor?”

“I’m on the toilet seat.”

That’s good. Yi Jeong wouldn’t have to fret about injuring her. His legs, toned from the hours spent at basketball, placed a well-aimed kick at the door. With the pressure placed on it, the door swung open, allowing Yi Jeong access. His black eyes locked with a teary black pair belonging to the petite female.

Ga Eul’s earlier sense of desolation and loneliness had been pushed aside at this moment. Her voice was hoarse from crying for help. She was beginning to despair as she felt a pang of fear shoot through her. What if no one found her? What if she froze to death here? All these alarming thoughts were banished from her mind when Yi Jeong entered her field of vision. She blinked hard to keep back the tears, not wanting to appear weak in front of him. Her knight in shining armor had come to save her from the evils of the castle…

Tiny beads of water, like dew, clung to her hair, her face and her clothes. Ga Eul pulled tighter at the gray cardigan in an attempt to gain more warmth. Her creamy sleeveless dress had turned translucent due to the wetness. Luckily, she wore a black and white halter top underneath so she was not exposed entirely. Yi Jeong noticed that the floor was damp and took careful steps towards her, avoiding the puddles of water. With her face as pale as a sheet and her whole body trembling violently, Ga Eul gave the impression of a frail girl.

Genuine worry etched itself upon Yi Jeong’s face as he absorbed the image of a frail Ga Eul-yang. She always appeared brave and strong. He hadn’t anticipated that she had such a side – the fragile side. She looked like she could break any time as long as small pressure was applied.

The Casanova gently placed his hands on the country bumpkin’s shoulders. He dropped his face to the level of her eyes, holding her gaze. “Pabo yah! Why didn’t you call me? Don’t ever do this again.” His voice carried a stern warning and a rather aggressive tone.

Ga Eul smiled, a faint and painful smile, but recognizable. How could she call him? She couldn’t.

Yi Jeong, on the other hand, interpreted it as Ga Eul being too weak to give a real smile. He effortlessly carried her in bridal style while Ga Eul held onto him for support. She couldn’t stop the tears that slid down her face; it was too exhausting to keep them all in. In the shelter of his arms, she felt safer. Weary and fatigued to the last degree, her eyes drifted shut and she slept peacefully.

A faint smile pulled up one corner of Yi Jeong’s mouth. She must be tired. He tenderly placed Ga Eul’s softly breathing form in the taxi, laying her head on his shoulder and tugging the strands of hair behind her ear. He wiped away the silvery trail the tears left behind, feeling her pain searing through his heart. Yi Jeong decided at that moment to do everything within his power to prevent such a tear-streaked expression from appearing on Ga Eul’s face. He exhaled a breath, feeling a twinge of guilt as images rippled through his mind. How could he have the heart to hurt her on the previous two occasions?

The journey back was wrapped in silence, a tranquil silence.


Unknown to the Casanova, someone had seen the entire save-the-damsel-in-distress scene. Director Lee, with a lopsided grin on his face, had taken a few photographs of them with his cell phone. He was satisfied with these two students. Their chemistry – it was brilliant! He attached the pictures to a text message and sent it to the professor, telling him that he had chosen them for the Anycall Bodyguard CF.


Twisting and turning, sweat shimmered on Ga Eul’s forehead as she woke up from the violent pains in her head. She felt her body shivering and her teeth chattering. It wasn’t winter yet, so why was it so cold? She propped herself up on the bed with some difficulty.

Realizing that Ga Eul was awake, Yi Jeong sat by her side. “What’s wrong? You can’t sleep?”

“Aniyo. I-I’m not feeling too well.”

Yi Jeong immediately placed his hand on Ga Eul’s forehead to measure her temperature. His eyes widened in shock at the abnormally high body temperature. “Oh my, you have a fever. Let’s get you to the hospital.” He stood up in preparation for the trip.

“Are you insane, sunbae? It’s just a fever. Who goes to the hospital for that? And do you know how expensive the medical expenses are?” Ga Eul retorted as she pulled the blanket closer to her body.

“But—”

Ga Eul cut Yi Jeong off, “I’ll be fine. I just need a good night’s rest.” The tone of finality was deeply set. She lied back on the bed, signaling to him that she was entering deep slumber.

That stubborn girl! Yi Jeong stormed out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. His eyes burned liquid flames. Why did he even bother caring for the country bumpkin? If she wants to suffer, he won’t interfere and stop her; he will even gladly applaud her decision. He saw a washcloth and bowl from the corner of his eye. Reluctantly, he headed towards the objects, filled the bowl with cool water and placed the washcloth at the bowl’s rim.

Carrying the bowl of cool water, Yi Jeong pattered back to the bedroom. He placed the bowl on the table and dipped the cloth in it. After brushing aside Ga Eul’s wispy bangs, Yi Jeong placed the damp cloth on her forehead, cooling her down temporarily. Throughout the night, he repeatedly soaked the cloth and positioned it on her forehead, all the time hoping that it would lower her temperature and reduce her fever faster.

Yi Jeong didn’t want to see Ga Eul like this – without her radiant smile or playful pout. He wanted the robust Ga Eul-yang.

After a few hours, Ga Eul’s temperature lowered, causing a grin to stretch across Yi Jeong’s worried face. It was only then did Yi Jeong heaved a sigh of relief and took a little nap by Ga Eul’s side.

The room was soundless only to be disturbed by the couple’s gentle breathing.


The smell of porridge greeted Ga Eul as soon as she was roused from sleep. She walked towards the dining room with the clumsy, heavy gait of the half-awake. Her eyes widened a fraction when she caught sight of a bowl of porridge.

“Ga Eul-yang? Hurry up, we’re going to be late for school.” Yi Jeong informed her between bites of his toast.

Ga Eul, who was still unable to believe what she was seeing, obediently took her seat and ate the porridge. “Sunbae, did you cook it for me?”

“Are you crazy? Why would I do that? I don’t even know how to cook.”

Ga Eul quirked a brow at him, perplexed by his lie. The porridge definitely tasted like one made by a novice with its slightly burnt aftertaste. To confirm her suspicion, Ga Eul shifted a little in her chair, looking past Yi Jeong and staring at the pots in the basin.

Touched by Yi Jeong’s sincerity and tenderness, a subtle smile played on Ga Eul’s lips. Yi Jeong was really her knight…


The school bell rang distantly in Ga Eul’s ears as throngs of students headed for their classrooms. On the way to her class, Ga Eul’s cell phone vibrated. It was a text message from an unknown caller. It must be another advertisement.

Ga Eul, this is Professor Park. You have been selected to star in a CF. Meet me in my office during lunch.


A/N: I know that saving the female protagonist from the restroom is cliché and common in Taiwanese drama but I wanted Yi Jeong to be worried once in a while ^^

Glossary

Dead Zone: A place of poor mobile reception or where reception cannot be obtained
Pabo: Stupid or fool
CF: Commercial Film