Their Chemistry

The Fallen Casanova

A/N: Sorry for the lack of romantic interactions between Yi Jeong and Ga Eul but there will be some progress in their budding relationship in this chapter. I incorporated the Anycall Bodyguard CF into this chapter and changed it a little bit. Enjoy~

@madz67: More SoEul moments~
@sleep_deprived: True, true. I love it when Yi Jeong appears out of nowhere and saves Ga Eul. There’ll be more sweet scenes of them together in this chapter :]


Chapter 7: Their Chemistry

It’s easy to fall in love. The hard part is finding someone to catch you.

–      Bertrand Russell

“Sunbae?”

“Ga Eul-yang?”

“Why are you here?” Yi Jeong and Ga Eul exclaimed in unison as they stood at the entrance of Professor Park’s office.

“You got this message too?” Ga Eul asked and took out her phone, showing Yi Jeong the text message. Yi Jeong nodded his head in agreement. A quizzical expression replaced his surprised look as he opened the door for Ga Eul.

Both of them entered the room to find Professor Park sitting behind his desk while a tall, lanky middle-aged man sat on the couch in a corner.

“Yi Jeong! Ga Eul! You’re finally here.” Professor Park greeted them with a wide smile and guided them to their seats. He then sat beside the middle-aged man while Yi Jeong and Ga Eul sat on the opposite couch.

“This is Director Lee.” Professor Park indicated to the man beside him and continued with his explanation. “You see, Director Lee has been searching for new talents to star in a CF. And he told me that the two of you fitted the roles perfectly.”

“Mwŏragoyo?” Ga Eul internally shook her head in disbelief. Did she hear correctly? Chu Ga Eul, the country bumpkin, to star in a commercial that would be broadcasted to the whole nation?!

“I saw the two of you yesterday.” Director Lee spoke for the first time since Yi Jeong and Ga Eul entered the room. Ga Eul, thinking that he had a high degree of maturity from his age, was dumbfounded at Director Lee’s adolescent speech.

“What a touching save-the-damsel-in-distress scene! It was brilliant. Carrying you in bridal style with that worried expression. I could see that passionate chemistry between you two.” Director Lee had stood up from his seat to allow more freedom for his exaggerated gestures. His facial expressions resonated with his gestures. That over-dramaticized you-touched-my-heart expression was unforgettable and Ga Eul wondered why the director couldn’t perform in the CF himself.

After a few minutes, Director Lee took a seat, drew a deep breath and with a serious expression asked, “Will the two of you accept my offer?”

Yi Jeong, who was listening attentively the whole time, was unsure whether to accept the director’s offer. But somehow, he seemed to have made his decision already, his mind inclining to accept the proposal. His mind was wholly bent upon the idea of appearing in a commercial with Ga Eul-yang, which came upon him with such force, and such an impetuosity of desire that it was not to be resisted. It would be so much fun to ! This delightful thought caused a subtle smile to appear on his face.

Ga Eul’s hesitation, evident from the battles fought upon her face, resulted in Yi Jeong’s silent reply. How could he say “yes” with her looking like that?

“The pay is really high,” Director Lee added, giving Ga Eul a little push.

The silence stretched on as Ga Eul debated in her mind. Undeniably, the high pay tempted her to accept the offer but starring with Yi Jeong in the commercial held her back. Aside from the lack of acting experience, she didn’t know what the script was about. Were they acting as a couple? This was probably the case since Director Lee mentioned “passionate chemistry”. If they really acted as a couple, how was she to react? She could already imagine herself turning red with embarrassment, becoming more self-conscious with him beside her. No, she’d rather find a hole and bury herself head first in it.

Just when Ga Eul was about to open to reject Director Lee’s proposal, Yi Jeong answered for her. “We’ll accept your offer.”

W-What?!

With a reassuring smile plastered on his face, Yi Jeong grabbed the surprised Ga Eul towards him and whispered in her ear. “Ga Eul-yang, I heard that our rent is due soon. Isn’t this an opportunity to settle it?”

How did Yi Jeong know that? Before Ga Eul could say anything else, Director Lee informed them the exact details of the shooting.

“The CF will be filmed at Namsan. We’ll send someone to pick the two of you up after school. We will probably finish shooting by 10 p.m. or so. Here’s the script.” Director Lee passed them the script and continued, “There aren’t a lot of lines so don’t worry too much. And we have a tight schedule so it has to be done by today. Hope you two don’t mind.” He gave Yi Jeong and Ga Eul an apologetic look and waved goodbye, leaving them to absorb the massive amount of information.


“Did you hear the news? None of the students from the School of Performance Film Creation got the roles for the CF. But two students out of nowhere landed the starring roles and are acting as a couple for the commercial.”

“Yeah, I heard it from Professor Park too. It’s a pity but I heard the guy is really hot. Do you know that new transfer student? It’s that guy.”

“You mean So Yi Jeong? Of course, I know him. He’s a member of F4. Who doesn’t know him?”

Upon hearing the name of her beloved, Yoo Jin’s ears pricked up, her keen ears eagerly absorbed the latest information.

“But who’s the girl?” The female student continued asking.

“I think she’s a friend. Professor Park said that the director was impressed seeing their chemistry.”

“Chemistry?”

“Yeah, the director witnessed him carrying her the previous night or something like that.”

The two gossiping students then walked past Yoo Jin and rounded a corner.

Yoo Jin assembled the information about who the girl was piece by piece and arrived at an undesirable conclusion – Chu Ga Eul. She stamped her foot on the ground angrily at the realization that Yi Jeong and Ga Eul were starring in a commercial together because of her “help”. If she hadn’t told the Mean Girls Trio to lock Ga Eul in the restroom, the director wouldn’t witness Yi Jeong saving her and gave them a chance to act as a couple. But the fact that Yi Jeong saved the country bumpkin was enough to make white-hot anger blazed through Yoo Jin. Her mind rapped orders at her to do something, anything at all, to mess up this film.

An idea dawned on her as she headed back to the classroom.

Luck was on her side when Yoo Jin checked the time. Physical education was next class and all the students had gone to the restrooms to change their clothes. After ensuring that no one was in the classroom, Yoo Jin sneaked up to Ga Eul’s desk and rummaged through her bag.

Her eyes shone sinisterly at the papers she found – the script for the Anycall Bodyguard CF.


When Yi Jeong and Ga Eul arrived at Namsan, the crew was busy setting up the props and other equipment. The two were then dragged away by professional make-up artists and hairdressers. After spending an hour to improve their image (they were given a touch-up from head to toe including a new set of clothes), the two of them dazzlingly returned to the shooting area.

The first few scenes went smoothly for both of them. Yi Jeong didn’t have any difficulty acting as a potter because he was one himself. The same applied to Ga Eul who only had a few lines so it was easy to remember them all. Well, those easy scenes lasted until…

“Cut! Ga Eul, your acting’s too stiff and awkward. Imagine your boyfriend being upset and you’ll do all you can to cheer him up. That’s the feeling I want here. Try to imagine Yi Jeong as the upset boyfriend and do it again.”

Ga Eul heaved a sigh as her eyebrows knitted together. She tried her best to imagine the scenario described by Director Lee but it was a complete failure – she couldn’t imagine it at all. How could Yi Jeong be upset in the first place? True, he was upset when his museum was taken over by Jun Pyo’s mother but at that time, anger was the dominant emotion. And Yi Jeong had never mention about it anymore. Perhaps, he had gotten over it already. And boyfriend? Ga Eul violently shook her head at the thought of Yi Jeong as her boyfriend.

All of a sudden, someone hit her on her forehead. It was Yi Jeong.

“Why are you spacing out? Look, all your wrinkles are forming on your forehead.” A laugh emitted from his lips as he laughed at the silly girl, not bothering to hide the glee he was currently feeling.

“It’s not funny, sunbae.” Ga Eul crossed her arms and pouted, ing out her lower lip.

“That’s it!” Director Lee jumped from his seat joyously. “Look, Ga Eul, you’re making Yi Jeong laugh without even trying. You can do it.”

Disbelief filled Ga Eul once more. She did?

When the crew filmed the scene again, Ga Eul took the initiative to loop her hand around Yi Jeong’s arm and pulled him. Although she appeared to be smiling merrily, butterflies were battering recklessly against the walls of her stomach. Undertaking such a bold move was making her bashful.

Ga Eul’s move caught Yi Jeong by surprise while a small smile found its way to the corners of his mouth. He enjoyed seeing such an initiative Ga Eul, a Ga Eul that boldly took the first step. Due to that reason, Yi Jeong applauded himself for accepting the director’s offer. In addition to that, there were other benefits too. He had an “official excuse” for locking his hands around her waist since it was in the script. But what was most enjoyable was the blush that invaded Ga Eul’s cheeks whenever there was an intimate action between them.


Yi Jeong imprinted all the cute appearances of Ga Eul – including her wearing a pair of silly-looking glasses and bunny ears – in his heart. He wouldn’t be able to see her dressed like this anymore. Such carefreeness. That was the precise quality that made her attractive.

A-Attractive? What are you thinking, So Yi Jeong? The Casanova scolded himself in his mind. When did he start seeing Ga Eul as a woman? Was it because of the previous night’s incident, when he realized that Ga Eul also needed protection just like other women?

“Yi Jeong! Are you okay? We’re moving on to the next scene,” shouted Director Lee.

“Y-Yeah, I’m fine.”

The next scene was simple where Yi Jeong had to punish Ga Eul for losing in a cell phone game. Everything was progressing according to the script and Yi Jeong was chasing after Ga Eul. He closed in on her, prepared to hit her forehead when Ga Eul abruptly lost balance and fell backwards. There was nothing behind her, nothing to grab on to and she was falling. She felt spinning terror creeping up on her.

With an anxious expression, Yi Jeong’s left hand shot out and grabbed Ga Eul’s arm while his other hand wrapped around her waist to prevent her from falling. It was as if her weight was nothing to him. He then jerked her to safety. To himself.

But alas! Fate, ever mischievous, intervened with her tricks, determined that the two stubborn people needed a push from her.

Yi Jeong and Ga Eul were locked in love’s embrace. Awkwardly. For both parties.

Their gaze remained connected. Their faces inches apart. Yi Jeong’s sudden proximity sent Ga Eul’s heart into frenzied palpitations and she wrenched her eyes away from him, hoping to hide the tint of red that rose to her cheeks. On the contrary, Yi Jeong’s eyes stayed fixed on her face. This was the first time he had seen her close-up. She looked magnificent: her head tilted back, her eyes blazing, her cheeks flushed with color. Her parted lips were like rose petals that enticed him to have a taste.

He gulped, swallowing the rising lump in his throat.

“Cut!” exclaimed Director Lee. “Excellent work!”


Ga Eul read her script, remembering the directions of where to move in order to evade Boom Jun Pyo’s attacks. In this scene, Ga Eul would avoid Boom Jun Pyo’s fist and Yi Jeong would come to her rescue. For now, only her scene would be filmed thus, Yi Jeong was sitting on a chair, waiting for his turn to appear.

Ga Eul drew a deep breath before filming the actual scene. No problems occurred when they acted out their lines, it was only later when they were filming the fighting scene did problems occur…

Boom Jun Pyo swore an oath at Ga Eul and attempted to make a hit at her. A quick jerk at her wrist was sufficient to hold her in place and prevent her from escaping. According to the script, Boom Jun Pyo would try to attack her. The first hit would be to her right. Hence, she moved left to dodge that flying fist.

Shock crossed her face when she saw the flying fist before her eyes. Too paralyzed to move, she squinted her eyes shut, prepared for the impact.

A blow landed on her forehead. Precise and painful.

Director Lee and the other crew members blinked in surprise. Being the one in charge, Director Lee opened his mouth to order them to stop. But before he could assert his command, Yi Jeong seized Ga Eul’s arm and began pulling her away, his eyebrows slightly curved up in a worried expression.

“Ga Eul-yang, does it hurt?” Yi Jeong inspected the red bruise that was forming on Ga Eul’s forehead. He gently placed his fingers on it, not wanting to apply too much pressure.

Ga Eul laughed nervously to ease the tension. “It’s okay. I’m fine.” She looked up at him without brushing his hand away.

“Cut! That was perfect!” Director Lee was amazed at their increasing chemistry as the shooting progressed.


“No, no. This won’t do.” Director Lee pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger. “Passion. I want to you two to look passionately into each other’s eyes. Do you know what I mean? Let’s try it one more time.”

The night was warm and heavy. The few cotton clouds scudding across the sky were lit up by the faint moonlight. They were filming the last scene and Director Lee was losing his temper because Yi Jeong and Ga Eul couldn’t act out the impeccable scene in his mind.

Yi Jeong, noticing the bleary-eyed Ga Eul, shook his head. He had to get this over and done with. He needed rest so did Ga Eul. He was suddenly fired with an idea.

5-second kill.

“Action!”

One.

Ga Eul felt her hand taken and when she looked she saw Yi Jeong’s hand. Her eyes widened at this sight, wondering what Yi Jeong was planning to do. She was certain that this wasn’t part of the script. Then, he began pulling her towards him. She stared at him with confusion evident on her face while his smirk grew a fraction.

Two.

The brief smirk turned into a teasingly seductive smile as Yi Jeong the bridge of Ga Eul’s nose, causing a blush to creep up her cheeks.

Three.

Yi Jeong put his arms around Ga Eul’s waist and pulled her against his chest. Her blush intensified as she became increasingly aware of the close proximity between them. Their bodies were pressed together so closely that Ga Eul caught a whiff of his cologne.

Four.

Ga Eul gasped when Yi Jeong suddenly pushed her down. She grabbed his arm while he supported her. Her eyes stayed fixed on his face as his eyes burned into hers.

Five.

Yi Jeong leaned down until Ga Eul could feel his hot breath on her lips. She felt her heartbeat step up.

“Cut!”

A soft chuckle escaped Yi Jeong’s lips then he smiled a wide smile that gleamed in the moonlight. On the surface, he appeared to be amused. But underneath was a deep joy, a joy that echoed Ga Eul’s. He was this close to delivering the coup de grâce. This close to sealing that kiss.

His thoughts came to a clattering halt at the mention of the word “kiss”. What was he thinking? Ga Eul wasn’t like the women he toyed with. In fact, she was a girl (not even close to a woman) because of her inexperience in the matters of lovemaking.

Enveloped in his thoughts, Yi Jeong’s grip on Ga Eul slackened and he released her. Ga Eul took a few steps away from him in an attempt to calm her erratic breathing. This incident only proved that Ga Eul remained affected by his romantic gestures.

In the end, they finished shooting the commercial at eleven o’clock. Director Lee was pleased with their performance and gave them a cheque. He even stated that he would inform them when the commercial was going to be aired. After clapping both of them on their backs, he bade farewell.

Weary and fatigued to the last degree, Yi Jeong and Ga Eul fell fast asleep when they reached home.


Today was the big day. The day of the intercollegiate basketball competition.

A smile danced across Ga Eul’s lips as her eyes fixed upon the lunchbox on her table. She had made an effort to wake up early this morning just to prepare lunch for Yi Jeong. Initially, she didn’t want to because it would be awkward if Yi Jeong asked her why she prepared lunch for him. Yes, she could give the excuse that it was a special occasion being the big day. But he could have lunch in school so why did she do it? She thought that the lunch could be a thank you gift, to thank him for saving her during the restroom incident. This was a good chance to properly thanked him.

As soon as the school bell rang, Ga Eul rushed to Yi Jeong’s classroom only to find out that he went to the rooftop. She quirked a brow, confused as to why he headed there for lunch but thinking that it was not a big deal, she shrugged the thought off. Panting, she ascended the flight of stairs at the end of the corridor, internally cursing the president of the university for not building an elevator.

Ga Eul exhaled a breath, relief sweeping through her like sunlight when she reached her destination. She quietly took a few steps forward, staring at the scene unfolding before her. Similar to Ga Eul, Yoo Jin was holding a lunchbox and was dangling it in front of Yi Jeong who was leaning against the railing.

“Here, Yi Jeong-ssi, take it.” Yoo Jin pushed the lunchbox towards Yi Jeong, forcing him to take it. “Good luck for the competition!”

Ga Eul swiftly hid herself behind a wall while Yoo Jin joyfully skipped past her and descended the stairs. Once Yoo Jin disappeared from her view, Ga Eul peeked from behind the wall at Yi Jeong.

A sigh heavily left Yi Jeong. What had he gotten himself into? He should have immediately rejected Yoo Jin and not let her bear any hopes of them being a couple. As much as he wanted to say “no”, he couldn’t do it. Yoo Jin was Ga Eul’s friend and if he hurt Yoo Jin, Ga Eul would be mad at him, no matter how he tried explaining.

The shuffle of footsteps arrested Yi Jeong’s attention. He swiveled his head around to stare at the retreating figure. Feeling that the figure’s back was familiar, he ran after it, placed his hand on its shoulder and turned it around.

It was Ga Eul-yang.


Glossary

Namsan: Literally means “South Mountain”. It is a 262-meter peak in Seoul, South Korea and it offers some hiking, recreation and views of downtown Seoul's skyline. It is a popular spot for a panoramic view of Seoul.