IOU

The Fallen Casanova

A/N: Here comes Yi Jeong to Ga Eul’s rescue~ Her knight in shining armor~

@madz67: Now, we’ll see whether Yi Jeong successfully saved Ga Eul xD
@Goddess: Yeah, exactly. Why is Yi Jeong so stubborn? How hard is it to say those simple three words? ><
@Hyukmin1305: Thank you ^^
@masianlove2: Yes, they’re a really cute couple :]
@sleep_deprived: That’s so creative! Yi Jeong-in-action. I really like the way you describe him. Hahas ;D


Chapter 10: IOU

Every man is afraid of something. That's how you know he's in love with you; when he is afraid of losing you.

Away Yi Jeong flew, swift like the wind. In an emergency like this, he had called his kkangpae friend, Song Woo Bin, for help. After Woo Bin made a call to his large network of connections, he told Yi Jeong the gang that was holding Ga Eul as hostage and their whereabouts. Displaying a charisma well fitting for a boss of the underworld, Woo Bin told Yi Jeong to stay out of it but it fell on deaf ears.

Yi Jeong was panting when he reached the desolate warehouse. His shoes made small tapping sounds as they collided gently with the floor. It was noiseless except for his ragged breathing and footsteps.

“Ga Eul-yang!” The walls threw back the echoes of his shouts. Yi Jeong analyzed the vicinity with narrowed eyes.

The sight was unwelcome, to say the least.

Men in black suits were stationed at the perimeters of the warehouse. Yi Jeong stared at the victim in the centre of the room. Ga Eul. From disheveled hair to bare feet, she was not a pretty picture. She was bound up in ropes with a gag over . One henchman walked up behind her and pulled a fistful of her hair, causing her to whimper in pain.

“Stop! Get your filthy hands off her. What do you want?”

“Well, what do we have here? Prince Charming?” A man in tuxedo spoke. His expensive apparel was of the latest fashion, marking him as the boss.

“Boss, that man looks familiar,” one underling blurted out, “I know! He’s the best friend of the Song Clan’s heir.”

“The Song Clan’s heir? What a surprise. To think the best friend of our rival has entered our den. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.” The boss sat comfortably on the chair. His upper lip was curved in a line of pure arrogance. “I’ve always wanted to meet the Song Clan’s heir. Did you know that we’ve engaged in territorial disputes over the past few years? I don’t understand how they managed to maintain the position of top gang. If it weren’t for their connections, we would have overthrown them.”

“I didn’t come here for a history lecture. Tell me what you want. Make it brief.” Yi Jeong’s voice was razor-sharp with contempt.

“You’re blunt… but I like it. Let’s get down to business, shall we? The girl’s father owes us one hundred million South Korean Won. Are you going to settle it?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Perfect! Just sign this contract.” The boss handed Yi Jeong a contract. “And don’t you even think of asking the Song Clan for help. We’re not so desperate to accept their money.”

Yi Jeong scanned line after line of the contract, to ensure there was no additional clause. The print was small, yet readable. His eyes widened a fraction when he read the part about the due date.

“One day?”

“Correct. You have exactly 24 hours to cough up the payment. If you’re even one second late, the girl will pay.” Mocking laughter twisted across the boss’ face. “Remember, come alone. We’ll contact you so leave your number behind.”

Yi Jeong’s lips were pressed tightly together, a thin, pale line, as if set in stone as he signed the contract.


The next morning, Yi Jeong recounted the whole event to Woo Bin. Woo Bin, who ordered his men to ambush the warehouse, was irate when they reported that the gangsters had left, leaving no trace behind. Yi Jeong demanded his kkangpae friend to stay out of it because he didn’t want Ga Eul to be hurt. Yi Jeong remained resolute despite Woo Bin’s protests, wanting no assistance from his friend.

With only a day to clear the debt, Yi Jeong decided to take up the advertisement offer. Fortunately, it was Director Lee that was in charge of the commercial. Due to their acquaintance, he accepted Yi Jeong’s request of completing the shoot that day.

The two stars changed into their designated clothes. Then, they discussed with Director Lee how to go about filming the commercial. Yi Jeong and Yoo Jin carried themselves with confidence and grace, earning compliments from Director Lee. In spite of the fact that Yi Jeong was reluctant to perform in any intimate scenes with Yoo Jin, he willingly complied with Director Lee’s instructions for Ga Eul’s sake.

Yi Jeong put an arm around Yoo Jin’s shoulders while she pressed her head upon his shoulder, lying contentedly against him. She hoped that her last-ditch attempt to win his affection would work.

It was no use though. Yi Jeong clearly had weightier concerns in his mind as he stared into space many times during the shoot. His mind was filled with images of Ga Eul. What happened to her? Was she hurt? Did they do anything to her?

After a few more scenes, Director Lee gave them a 10-minutes break and the two stars headed for the changing room.

Yi Jeong’s cell phone rang, shrill and demanding. Noticing that his face was a mask of worry, Yoo Jin eavesdropped on the conversation.

“Don’t you dare touch her. I promise I will pay it on time, okay?” He drawled in a low growl, his voice cold as ice, sharp as razors as he hung up.

This was the first time Yoo Jin had heard him in such a tone. “What happened, Yi Jeong-gun?”

“N-Nothing.”

“Don’t lie.” Yoo Jin hoped that it wasn’t her that Yi Jeong was referring to. “Is Ga Eul-ssi in trouble?

Yi Jeong avoided Yoo Jin’s inquisitive gaze and she got her answer. So it was her. Now, she knew and understood. Only Ga Eul was able to trigger such emotions in Yi Jeong. She couldn’t. That was the difference between them.

The pain Yoo Jin felt was indescribable. It was difficult – watching her beloved loving someone else. But at least she tried her best, she confessed to him so there were no regrets.

“I understand. I won’t bother you anymore.”


Between the gusts of wind, every sound seemed horribly magnified; the crunching of Yi Jeong’s feet on the leaf-strewn path was deafening. Most life in the forest had gone into hiding as if they were aware that this place would turn into a battlefield.

“Here’s the money.” Yi Jeong’s words were dripping with rage as he tossed a black suitcase into the clearing. Anger flashed to the surface of eyes when he saw Ga Eul bound tightly to a tree.

Standing near Ga Eul, the boss had a wide smirk plastered on his face as he ordered his henchmen. “Count it.”

The minutes ticked by more slowly than usual. Panic fogged Ga Eul’s brain as she trembled slightly. She strained her eyes to get a better view of Yi Jeong. Did he really come to save her? Was he a fool? She gazed at him with pleading eyes, hoping that he would understand her. That he should leave this place.

“It’s the correct amount, boss.” The underling reported and brought the suitcase to the boss for further inspection but the boss merely waved his hand, indicating that it should be taken to a safer place.

“Not bad, boy. To be able to pay the debt in one day.”

“Cut the crap and let Ga Eul-yang go.”

The boss’ eyebrows arched in surprise while he looked back and forth between Yi Jeong and Ga Eul. Comprehension swept through him. “I see. The two of you are a couple.” His eyes narrowed and then, widened with an idea.

“Eotteoke? She’s such a lovely lady.” The boss’ voice was hoarse with desire. His hand cupped Ga Eul’s chin, tilting her face up. She met his eyes directly and discerned the unmistakable lust in them. “It’ll be a waste to not enjoy her. Besides, I’ve never had a taste of ravishing someone’s girlfriend.”

Adrenaline pulsed through Ga Eul’s veins as the realization of danger slowly sank in.

The gag in muffled her screams while she struggled violently to break free. He pressed his body to hers, nibbled on her neck and moved his way to her shoulder. Tears streamed down her face without a break the entire time.

Sunbae…

Yi Jeong’s rage was barely held hard in leash as deadly rage took hold of him. The lackeys enclosed around him, prepared to engage in a fierce battle. Yi Jeong ran to the nearest enemy and knocked him down. One by one, the henchmen fell, defeated by a mere wealthy brat. He attacked them with such violence, that they had no time, or presence of mind enough to defend themselves.

Oblivious to the brawny man behind him, Yi Jeong was caught unaware when he was pushed to the ground. Before he could get up, the brawny man had kicked his head viciously, one, two, three times, sharp painful jabs with the foot, well-aimed.

Just then, the Song Clan’s heir made a grand entrance with his army of professionals. Without waiting for his command, Woo Bin’s men immediately swung into action. They defeated the other gang effortlessly. Suffering heavy casualties, the other gang broke into confusion and beat a retreat.

“I’ll come back for revenge!” The boss shouted and fled the scene.

Woo Bin’s men untied the ropes that were binding Ga Eul. She threw the gag away, wiped her tears and rushed to Yi Jeong’s side.

Her brow was furrowed with concern upon the sight of scarlet stains on Yi Jeong’s body and especially on his face. Through his blurry vision, Yi Jeong could slightly make out the shape of Ga Eul’s figure. He gave a little gasp of relief, knowing that she was safe now.

“I saved you, Ga Eul-yang.” A small smirk played on his lips, twisting the corners up into a rather cocky expression. He was still in the mood to play the role of a conceited brat.

“No, it was Woo Bin sunbae who rescued us.” Ga Eul frankly replied. “You shouldn’t have come, sunbae.” She felt a twinge of remorse and guilt with some considerable sadness. He was injured because of her. Her eyes became watery.

“I would have come no matter what.”

“Wae?” Her voice cracked.

“Your problem is my problem, Ga Eul-yang. I’m always here if you need me.” Yi Jeong patted her hands with a sheepish grin on his face.

Ga Eul stared at him with tear-glazed eyes. Why did he say this? Doesn’t he know that it will make her misunderstand? If he doesn’t mean it, then don’t say it. But… Even if he didn’t mean what he said, his words have been embedded in her mind. Unforgettable.

“Sunbae!” Ga Eul cried out and held him, her arms locked around his chest. Yi Jeong returned the hug gently, afraid to apply pressure on the wound. But it was no use. Ga Eul was too strong. He jerked reflexively with pain.

“Omo!”

“Okay man, I’ve had enough of your lovey-dovey cuddles. Can we go now?” Woo Bin interrupted the couple’s conversation.

Embarrassment brought Ga Eul to her feet. Absorbed in her talk with Yi Jeong, she had totally forgot the presence of Woo Bin and his men. Yi Jeong stood up too but he was so weak that when he tried to stand up, his muscles wouldn’t support him. In the end, he stumbled.

Ga Eul and Woo Bin hastened towards Yi Jeong and supported him on each side, placing his arms over their shoulders.

On that day, Yi Jeong witnessed true friendship. More significantly, he found out that he couldn’t lose Ga Eul-yang. Not like that. Not ever. Never.


After spending a few days locked up in the mundane hospital, boredom gnawed at Yi Jeong’s very soul. Everyone visited him and insisted that he had a checkup from head to toe. Therefore, he ended up staying in the hospital longer than necessary. On the contrary, Ga Eul only had some minor scratches. She didn’t even need to stay at the hospital.

The day of Yi Jeong’s release arrived and he couldn’t be happier.

Ga Eul assisted Yi Jeong by carrying his luggage back to the apartment. Stretching his arms and breathing in fresh air (unlike the disinfectant smell of the hospital), Yi Jeong flopped down into the couch.

Now was the time to collect his payment.

“Ga Eul-yang, come here.” Yi Jeong gestured her to the empty seat beside him while Ga Eul elegantly arched her eyebrows in confusion, scurried to the couch and occupied the seat.

“If I remember correctly, you owe me a favor.” Yi Jeong asserted in a silky, seductive voice. His arm created an inescapable snare around her waist, causing Ga Eul to gasp in surprise. He pulled her closer to him. Then, he put his hand under her chin to lift her lips to his. He slowly leaned down, closing his eyes, to seal that desirable kiss.

Ga Eul swallowed the rising lump in as she felt his hot breath on her lips. A rosy blush broke out on her cheeks. Was Yi Jeong planning to kiss her? She tried to fight off the image her mind wanted to show her – the passionate kiss they shared that night. Their first kiss that ended in heartbreak.

No, she wouldn’t repeat the same mistake.

Ga Eul didn’t want Yi Jeong to treat her like other girls. Furthermore, she didn’t know exactly what the relationship between them was. They seemed to be positioned in a gray area – somewhere between friends and lovers. They were more than friends and yet, less than lovers. Although she frequently saw such scenarios on television, she didn’t expect it to befall on her. Confronted with this predicament, her mind could not understand it but her body knew what to do. Swiftly, she put her finger lightly to his lips.

Yi Jeong blinked in shock as his lips came into contact with her elegant finger. It was far from his intended target. For a moment, annoyance bubbled up inside Yi Jeong. Now what?

“When did I owe you a favor?”

“I saved you, remember?” He said exasperatedly.

“I told you it was Woo Bin sunbae who rescued us.”

“Don’t I deserve some credit?”

“Well…”

“See?”

“B-But it doesn’t mean I need to k-kiss you.”

Yi Jeong chuckled when Ga Eul stuttered at the word.

“What else can you offer?” Yi Jeong surveyed her thoughtfully, his eyes roaming over her body.

Ga Eul narrowed her eyes, furrowed her eyebrows and covered her chest with her hands. “What are you staring at? Look elsewhere.”

“Ga Eul-yang, you think too highly of yourself. Any female on the streets have better body curves than you.”

She fumed back at him, a scowl forming on her brow. Her lower lip out and she looked at him balefully.

“What?! It’s the truth.”

“Hmph.” Ga Eul stood up and proceeded to the bedroom.

Was she angry? Yi Jeong followed close behind her.

Ga Eul could feel his eyes on her as she took out a notepad and pen from the drawer. The pen, gripped firmly, glided effortlessly on the paper. She then tore out the piece of paper and shoved it at him.

Yi Jeong looked down at it with a puzzled expression.

“What’s the meaning of this?”

“Can’t you see? It’s an IOU with my signature on it. You can write anything you want from me on the empty space. But you need to adhere to the rules stated there.”

Yi Jeong cast his eyes upon the conditions written on it. “What do you mean by no physical touch? Do I look like a ert to you?”

Ga Eul rolled her eyes at him as if saying, “Duh, you’re the Casanova”.

“Fine. What about this? It needs to be used by this week?”

“Yeah, I want it done as soon as possible. It feels as if you have a trump card over me.” She shuddered at her sentence, not liking it one bit.

“I see.” Yi Jeong grabbed the pen from Ga Eul and began writing his wish on the piece of paper.

Surprise flitted across Ga Eul’s face. Doesn’t he need some time to ponder over what he wants? Or did he always have this wish? She highly doubted it and concluded that it was an impromptu wish.

Yi Jeong flashed his gleaming smile, dazing her momentarily as he dangled the IOU in her face.

I want Ga Eul-yang to spend one day with me at the zoo.


Glossary
Kkangpae: The name of the mafia of South Korea or a street gang. Kkangpae literally translates to “Thug” in Korean. The Korean mafia is quite known for their proficient fighting skills, ruthless extortion and loan sharking tactics, and the South Korean film industry have popularized the Korean mafia.
Eotteoke: How or What should/can I do?
Wae: Why
Omo: Oh my gosh
IOU: An informal document acknowledging debt