Holy Other - Tense Past

Epithelial Tissue

 

I blinked twice and I was back. Back in Room 342.

I looked around for the Time Keeper, but all I saw was my golden blue globe.

It wasn’t pulsing as much as before. It looked like it was slowly coming together. Instead of bursting open and giving a chance for new life, it was closing itself, mending itself. I didn’t really like the look of it. It looked better being alive and broken, than dead and fixed. I felt like if I would be able to touch it, if only I could give it some of my energy, it would glow brighter, it would throb more. Maybe I would be happier if it throbbed more.

“Did’ya enjoy Act 1?” It was the Time Keeper’s voice, it didn’t come from one direction; instead it came from all around.

I inspected everywhere, everywhere in the massively tiny Room 342; to be sure I couldn’t see him before I answered. I didn’t know where he was hiding, or why he felt the need. He was playing games again.

“It was okay.”

“Just okay?” He popped up in front of me, and I felt the familiar heat that he radiated. “You’re ungrateful.”

I quickly turned to make sure my globe was alright. I didn’t know why I was so transfixed on this golden blue orb; I don’t know why it fascinated me so. It felt like it needed protecting, from the sinister Time Keeper. It felt like he was getting even more sadistic every time we met; he was becoming slightly dangerous. When I faced the Time Keeper again his red eyes glistened.

“If this is Act 1... How many acts are there?”

“Two. There are two acts.” He snickered at me, taunting me with the knowledge he knew I didn’t have. “And you’re about to experience the next one, Junhong.”