July, 2012

Epithelial Tissue

 

“Did you ever wonder why?”

 

“Why what?”

“Why we met...”

Yongguk looked at me with a face that portrayed pure confusion. “We met because I got a job at Kyobo Book Centre...”

I sighed, hitting him in the stomach, was I really that hard to understand? “But what if you hadn’t? And what if I hadn’t gone to their annual party because I didn’t bump into Himchan - so I didn't get that job? What if we didn’t talk? What if I said no to that car ride?” He nodded his head slowly, starting to see what I was talking about. “So why did we meet? Did someone up there want us to be together? Were you drawn to me?”

He smiled to himself, looking at the glow in the dark stick on stars on our bedroom ceiling. He started tracing patterns, and non-existant constellations. “You were incredibly pretty.” He turned to look at me; he didn’t know I thought that when I saw him too. “You still are. And I’m just glad someone up there took pity on a guy like me. Y’know?”

 

I nodded. “You are incredibly lucky to be fair.”

“Idiot.”

“Hey! That’s my word.” I grinned at him, putting my hand on his stomach. We just breathed for a while; we were slightly out of sync, but it still sounded right. “Thanks.”

He didn’t ask me what I thanked him for. “No problem.” I assumed he just knew what I was talking about - he could read my mind, and we had an unspoken bond. But he ruined it by saying: “I should call you idiot more often.”

I reached over to bop him on the head. Twice. Once for calling me an idiot, and the other one was for actually being one. He laughed, clutching my forearm and not letting go until I promised there would be no more hitting.

 

“We should travel the world doncha think?” He sounded wistful.

“Where first?”

“That mountain you were talking about. The highest one in Indochina.”

“Fansipan?”

“Yeah. We should climb there.”

“We’ll start in Vietnam first then.”