December, 2011

Epithelial Tissue

 

He smiled sheepishly at me, expecting me to open the door and let him in. I could only lean against the door frame, trying to be as warm and inviting as possible. It was hard being welcoming to strangers, let alone idiots strangers. If you’d asked me how much his brain weighed at that moment in time, I’d tell you 0.02 grams.

“Hey! Junhong right?” He smiled at me, “I was kinda hoping that you didn’t have a lecture.”

I raised my eyebrows, and decided to be as truthful as possible. “I don’t, but I have work in a sec.”

“You do a Tuesday shift?”

I nodded. “Yeah, at nine.” He shuffled on his feet awkwardly. I stared at him for a few seconds before it got too uncomfortable for us both. I got out of the door frame and moved to shut the door. “Well, have a good day then.”

“Wait!” His hand prevented the door from shutting, and me from moving back any further. I jiggled the heavy door violently but he clung on before his hand sloppily came down to his side.

“I have work.”

“So do I, but my car broke down at the club last night, and I can’t get there so I was really hoping for a lift...” His confession came out in one long ramble, and after he’d said it he looked a whole lot better and less of a nervous wreck. He batted his eyelashes at me. I couldn’t believe this guy, we’d only met briefly yesterday yet he was feeling comfortable enough to ask me if he could get in my car.

My pride and joy.

My frickin’ car.

Emphasis on my.

“A club?” My eyebrows rose to the heavens. He was trouble, stupid trouble. Stupid trouble that would go clubbing the day before work. “Why were you at a club in the first place?”

“I Deejay there.” His feet taped in frustration, I could tell he could tell that I didn’t give a damn. He did look kind of desperate. He swiftly looked left and right before getting on his knees, grasping for my finger tips. “Please dude. I seriously need the money, and I can’t walk. I will pay you back eventually. I swear.”

I sighed, the all the energy I had finally leaving me. “Yeah. ‘Kay. Whatever. I’ll be back in a second. Wait here.”