Two

As life goes by

 

The phone shock yet again but he still didn’t reach into his pocket, the man in front of him seemed to notice the vibration sound that time and raised a questing eyebrow at Youngbae who only smiled and continued answering the question. When the noise was gone he cursed himself for not leaving the phone in the changing room, the last thing he needed was the reporter asking him who was calling or why he wasn’t picking it up in front of a rolling camera but the thirtyish something man eyes went back to the little card between his hands to look for another question and Youngbae sighted with relief.

He didn’t know who was calling but he was sure whoever it was wouldn’t like a national televised phone call unless it was Seungri , his spot light seeking friend but he doubted it was him.

When the shooting was done he spared a glance to his phone only to frown at the number, not only was it a strange one but it had the Korean code however he didn’t dwell on that for long, whoever it was would call again if he had gone through the trouble of calling him all the way in Japan in the first place.

He oddly remembered it all in great details even if at that time it was nothing but a blur of intense emotions. Soon after the missed calls came his manager with the troubled look on his face, he told him to fallow him to somewhere quite, all the way Youngbae joked about the serious look on the older man face wondering how insignificant was the matter that upset him then but as soon as the name Yun passed the man’s lips Youngbae heart dropped.

He didn’t know when his reminiscing turned to a nightmare , it was long after the heated argument , the hunting phone numbers and the endless hours waiting that his eyes opened to the early morning bright light . He didn’t sleep that day and the fact that he found himself in bed was the first hint that that day was long behind him … behind them.

Yun was still asleep with her head on his shoulder and her arms across his chest. She didn’t seem to be disturbed by his rapid breath or the sweat that covered his upper body, only to move closer when he tried to gently pull her away. Even thought he couldn’t quite see her face, he knew she was sound asleep and likely will still be for a couple more hours. It wasn’t the first time he woke up in the early hours of the morning from that dream, he always found trouble getting back to sleep after it and usually ended up with thoughts that would get him in trouble later on with Yun, that night didn’t look any different.

Sometimes it’s like the flatter of butterfly wings between your hands, light and mellow; while others were like the explosion straight in your face, painful and earth shattering. You couldn’t remember the past before it nor imagine the future without it, all you know is that it’s there … it’s there and buried so deep that the simple thought of it being pulled away is agonizing.

He once might have laughed at such an outgragize description, even when he’s being realistic even the pain sounded sweet to his unscarred heart. However these words were there and his mind wondered at the last of them…. Agony,   that’s what seem to await him … them … if he learned anything from the night before. That word seem to ouch in his head like a promise and his once innocent thought where nowhere to be found instead every inch of his tired body seemed to testify that love was nothing if not joined with pain .

He didn’t used to be this dark or glum and it’s a little unfair to say love is what brought it on him. Again his mind wondered back to that day. he woke up to a bright and sunny day , order room service then changed and left to the shooting studio , he didn’t mind the traffic or the heat only sang along to the voices filling his ears but as soon as the name Yun passed his manager  lips Youngbae heart dropped .

He said she called him, kept saying how long it took her to get hold of the manager number and a bunch of other things that didn’t make much sense.  When asked what’s going on, she started crying and said something along the line of “Youngbae should have answered his phone “.

Not a minute after hearing that, Youngbae had his phone between his hands and was dialing the same strange number. When no one picked up, he called again and again. he still had no idea what happened but the simple thought of her franticly trying to reach him set him on edge and when someone answered he sighted with relief only to be scared stiff as the angry voice told him she was at the hospital and that he should have picked up his phone when she called .

The guy went on talking but still Youngbae was left with no explanation, why was she in the hospital? Was she hurt? But if she was hurt how could she call him and why was it so important that he answer her call? After all what can he do to help her when he’s not just a borders but a sea away? Was it someone else who was hurt and she just needed to talk to him? and a million more question crossed his mind ,  he voiced some of it to the still unknown man only to be told that he have to wait for Yun to call him back .

He asked again if she was injured. Was she in an accident? And the man fell quite for a second, just long enough for Youngbae to know she wasn’t completely ok, then answered “no “

He later came to know that man… even to befriend him , he asked him once why did he lie to him that time only to be told that he didn’t , she wasn’t in an accident and she wasn’t injured , he didn’t lie but he didn’t tell the truth either .

``````````````````````````````````

Yun sat on the couch facing his chair quietly but still he didn’t look up, he kept intensely staring at the carpet as if it fascinated him.  Finally he dared lift his head up a little to see she had her legs crossed under her , her hair hang loss still wet from the shower and her hands played with a strain from her shirt ( which might have belonged to him once ) , she seemed calm , relaxed but as his eyes landed on her face , he noticed the strained lines around and her tired eyes , if he managed to forget that he went and unlist in the army for a second the night before , her eyes reminded him and bitterly so .

though Neither of them had a morning habit of drinking coffee, he felt like asking her for one just to break the silence. She wasn’t going to be the first to talk, that was all too obvious so he found himself scrambling to find something to say .there much wanted but lacking mornings together was never awkward, not after the first night the spent together , not even when her roommate came back from a trip early and found them on the couch making out but that morning certainly was.

“When is Ae sook coming back? “He asked about her missing roommate without much interest, there were no hard feelings between the two of them but that was about it. Youngbae few interaction with the strange women were quite awkward, she made a whole speech on his reputation the first time they met, she had a thing against idols even if he didn’t classify as one anymore and still to that day he wondered if that’s where Yun got her defenses attitude against public exposure or if it was the other way around?

“In two days “she answered in the same tone, then added “she’s in Bali now “.

He just nodded and they fell quite once again, he didn’t want to be the one that bring it up and even if he did, he had no idea where they stand. Have she decided she was ok with it? Is she still going to fruitlessly try to talk him out of it? Is she …

“What did Jiyong oppa say? When you told him ? “His head snapped up at that , expecting to find accusation over the obvious fact that she seemed to be the last one to know but it was neither in her face or voice .

“He said I was an idiot and that I will lose everything I worked so hard for by the time I am back “

“He’s right on the first one “she said but not in her teasing, I want to get in your nerves way that she usually associated the word idiot with .

His eyes were still fixed on her face and his heart was in a tight note as he asked “and the second one? “

Her face seemed to soften but her voice didn’t change and with a certainty as if saying the sun rise from the east she answered “it’s not true, at least not when it’s concern me “

His heart bounced painfully in his chest at her words , she might not be lying but he found trouble believing her , he wanted to believe them , he wanted to be able to recall them when he leave but what if she was asked the same two weeks from now , two months .. Let alone two years, would she answer with the same certainty or will the sun shift a little to the west every day before it rose.

 

 

 

----------------------------------

Author notes : i really hope my writing was good enough that i didn't need a big FLASHBACK sign between every paragraph or so , almost all the mystery would be reviled in the next part so i really hope you stick around for it .