We'll Be Okay

No Matter What

 

            Eric jogged down the hall to Hyesung’s hospital room.  He paused outside the door and took a moment to compose himself.  The leader took a deep breath and then pushed open the door.  As soon as he spotted the vocalist, his entire body relaxed and he felt a flood of calm take over his mind.  Hyesung heard the door open and looked up to find Eric entering with a small grin on his face.  Hyesung had been in the middle of scarfing down his breakfast, the first meal he had eaten since the day of the accident; so he had a mouth full of food and crumbs all over his face.  Hyesung stared at the older man as blush quickly rose to his cheeks.  He quickly looked down to hide his face and began frantically searching for a napkin.  Eric chuckled at the flustered man’s actions and took the handkerchief out of his coat’s pocket.  He walked over unnoticed and brought the cloth up to Hyesung’s face.  The singer immediately froze and looked up at his leader.  Eric was joyfully rubbing the crumbs off of Hyesung’s face and didn’t notice the younger man’s growing embarrassment.

            “What are you-“ Hyesung yelled out, momentarily forgetting the large amount of food still in his mouth.  As a result, Eric’s face and hair were showered with crumbs of egg and rice.  Hyesung’s eyes grew wide as he realized what he had done.  The vocalist quickly bowed his head and hid his face in his hands.  Eric slowly recovered from the shock and used the handkerchief to wipe his own face.  Eric returned the cloth to his pocket and then eyed the younger man.  Hyesung still had his face hidden in his hands.  Eric yanked on the singer’s arms in an attempt to reveal Hyesung’s face, but Hyesung wouldn’t budge.  Eric grunted in frustration after wrestling with the younger man for a while.  An evil grinned spread across his face as he got a sinister idea.  He leaned into Hyesung’s ear and whispered,

            “If you don't move your hands…” Eric paused and Hyesung flinched.

            “I’m going to kiss you,” He breathed seductively.  Hyesung immediately retreated from the leader and removed his hands.

            “Ya!” He yelled fiercely at Eric.  Eric laughed when his plan produced the exact results he had expected.  Hyesung glared at Eric as he waited for the older man to stop giggling.  Eric managed to suppress his laughter and shook his head at Hyesung.

            “It was no problem,” Eric referred to Hyesung spitting on him.  Hyesung crossed his arms and sulked.

            “Yeah, I know,” The singer retorted childishly.  The light atmosphere between them kept up until Eric left later in the afternoon to take care of some minor business at Shincom.

            “See you Eric,” Hyesung smiled brightly and waved at the leader as he exited.

            Eric was very happy that Hyesung was looking much better.  Eric hated seeing Hyesung so emotionally damaged and in pain.  He much preferred the bright and happy Hyesung.

            Eric arrived at the Company’s building and quickly made his way up to his office.  It was already dark outside and Eric wanted to finish his work so he could get as much sleep as possible.  The leader opened the door to his office and found Minwoo sitting at Eric’s desk with his laptop.  Minwoo looked up and nodded at Eric in acknowledgement.  Eric raised an eyebrow.

            “What are you doing here?” Eric closed the door behind him.  Minwoo silently motioned Eric over to the computer.  Eric leaned in.

            “What is it?” Minwoo was silent as Eric read the headline displayed on the screen.  Shin Hye Sung, Lead Vocalist of Shinhwa, Paralyzed!, the article went on to talk about the press conference that was held that morning and the news that was delivered.  Eric warily chose to scroll down to the comments.  He immediately regretted his actions after reading the first few comments:

            How can he be in a dance group and not dance?

            He should leave Shinhwa…

            The accident was probably his fault.

            He just wants attention!

            Ha!  He wasn’t even a good dancer anyway!

            Eric had seen enough and was about to close the laptop when Minwoo clutched the lid and stopped the Leader’s action.  Eric was startled and looked at the dancer.

            “Keep reading,” Minwoo ordered and Eric reluctantly continued.

            Ummm, do you guys even know anything about Shinhwa and Shin Hyesung?

            Really?!  You guys have no heart!  He’s paralyzed for God’s sake!

            He may not have been the best dancer, but his singing is amazing.

            I agree, and last time I checked, you don’t need your legs to sing.

            Why would he have to leave Shinhwa!  That’s stupid!  Shin Hyesung fighting!

            No matter what, we Shinhwa Changjo will still love you oppa!

            The comments went on and on like that.  No more negative remarks could be found.  All the fans were showing their support for Hyesung and Shinhwa.  Eric’s heart welled up with pride for their fans.  Their Shinhwa Changjos.  At times, Eric felt bad for putting the fans through so much.  Shinhwa had had many tough challenges along the road, and Eric sometimes felt that these rough times caused the fans suffering.  But despite that, Shinhwa Changjo still displayed their undying support for the members.  Eric was just so thankful that they were even encouraging Hyesung in this situation.  Eric gently closed the laptop and looked into Minwoo’s eyes.

            “We’ll be okay Minwoo,” He said with confidence.  The smaller man was taken aback by the leader’s sudden confirmation.

            “Everyone’s cheering for us and Hyesung.  We can do it,” Minwoo knew that Eric had been touched by the fans’ messages of support and gripped the older man’s shoulder.

            “Of course.  Some things will change, but our fans will be the same, our friends and families will be the same, and our members will be the same.  Unchanging forever,” Eric couldn’t helped but roll his eyes at Minwoo’s corny words.  The guy really didn’t feel embarrassed no matter what he said.  Eric couldn’t hide his smile.  He was excited now that everything had been put into perspective.  Everyone was cheering for them and now that Eric knew that, he felt that everything would be okay.

            Hyesung sat in his hospital bed with tears running down his face.  The singer had just finished reading the last comment on an article he found on the Internet with iPhone.  An article titled, Shin Hye Sung, Lead Vocalist of Shinhwa, Paralyzed!  The comments from the fans were overwhelming and Hyesung couldn’t hide his grateful tears.  Hyesung began to sob.  He had been so emotionally torn up since the accident.  His feelings had been so jumbled up and he had been so confused.  Not to mention that he greatly feared the public’s reaction to his accident.  Hyesung hadn’t been expecting such an overwhelming amount of support.  Words could not describe how he felt.  With a bit of effort, Hyesung was able to calm himself down.  Hyesung contemplated in between his small sniffles.

            Hyesung admitted that he had thought about leaving Shinhwa after the accident.  He didn’t want to be a burden to s.  No matter how many times they reassured him, he knew that having a handicapped group member would be very difficult.  In fact, when Eric came over last night, he had come extremely close to telling the leader about his decision to leave Shinhwa.  However, the older man’s comforting words made Hyesung realize that he was greatly loved by not only Eric, but the other members as well.  Hyesung didn’t want to leave their sides.  He did feel bad about the problems he would cause from now on, but he knew for sure that the other guys wouldn’t mind.  If it were any of the other members, Hyesung wouldn’t hesitate to help them.

            Hyesung’s resolve rose and he clenched his fists tightly.  He would work very hard and do everything in his power to get better so that Shinhwa could return with all six of them.

 

 

            It had been two weeks since Shinhwa had held its press conference.  Since then, fans were always outside Hyesung’s hospital holding signs, leaving gifts, or just showing their support.  Shinhwa had smartly kept out of the public’s eye as they waited for the unrest to die down.  Due to the free time, the member’s tried to visit Hyesung everyday.  Usually the little prince was in a good mood, but today wasn’t one of those instances.

            “Argh!” Hyesung yelled out in frustration.  Hyesung felt like he was going to go nuts if he had to stay another day within the confines of his hospital room.  The eagerness he had felt two weeks ago was still there.  But instead of beginning his recovery process, the doctor told him that he needed to wait a bit longer for his back to heal enough to begin the strenuous physical therapy.

            “Hyesung, you can’t keep throwing tantrums like this,” Minwoo released an exasperated sigh.  Hyesung trained a menacing glare onto the shorter man.

            “If only there was a way to get him out for some fresh air,” Dongwan commented as he skinned an apple for the patient.  Andy’s eyes lit up.

            “Hyung, do you think I should ask the doctor if we could take him on a walk?” Hyesung immediately perked up and watched the exchange.

            “Hmm, I don't see why not,” Minwoo responded after a moment of contemplation.  The dancer shot a glance towards the leader who was engrossed in filling out papers for their company.  Andy grinned in response and began making his way out the door.

            “Wait!  I’ll come with you!” Junjin called out and then followed the maknae.  Hyesung’s eyes never left the door as he waited for the two youngest members to return with hopefully good news.  Dongwan continued to skin the apple, Eric scribbled furiously on the company forms, and Minwoo began tapping a rhythm out on the side of Hyesung’s bed.  A few minutes passes as each of the men in the room did their own thing.  Hyesung was starting to get impatient and was about to order one of the other members to go check on them when the door suddenly burst open.  Junjin waltzed in pushing a wheelchair while Andy and Hyesung’s doctor followed behind.

            “So I hear you’re feeling a bit restless,” The middle-aged physician grinned at Hyesung as he entered.  Hyesung gave an embarrassed smile and nodded.

            “Well your back should be well enough for you to sit in a wheelchair.  However, you will have to wear a brace,” The doctor held up a back brace for the singer to see.  Hyesung grimaced slightly, but decided that it was a small price to pay for getting out of this accursed hospital.  Hyesung insisted on changing out of his ugly hospital clothes before leaving.  He ordered everyone else out of the room and only allowed Junjin to help him change.  As Eric was waiting outside the door with everyone, he couldn’t help but feel a bit hurt.  He had been visiting Hyesung the most while the younger man was in the hospital.  All the time together had made the two men feel closer to each other.  Eric had thought that Hyesung was comfortable enough around him to allow the leader to help in these types of situations.  Eric felt slightly betrayed, but knew that Hyesung didn’t do it on purpose.

            The door creaked open and Junjin let all the members in.  Hyesung was sitting on the bed slightly panting.  Eric’s heart thumped, his back must be hurting from the effort of changing.  Regardless of the pain, Hyesung managed an excited grin.  He really couldn’t wait to get outside.  Junjin and Eric assisted the doctor with placing Hyesung into the wheelchair.  Eric observed Hyesung’s face during the move and became worried when the vocalist furrowed his brows in discomfort.  The younger man seemed fine after a moment’s of rest sitting in the chair.

            Hyesung looked at his fellow members from where he was situated in the wheelchair.  So this is how I’ll be seeing things from now on.  The thought entered Hyesung’s mind before he could stop it.  What a different world it was.

            “Hyesung?  You ready?” Dongwan asked with concern.  Apparently the other members had been waiting for Hyesung to indicate that he was prepared to leave while the singer was lost in thought.  Hyesung quickly pushed all the negative thoughts out of his mind and nodded his head.  Hyesung’s smile grew wider as Andy began wheeling him closer to the freedom of the outdoors.