Panic

No Matter What

 

              “Hyung!” Eric was barely able to get out of the way in time as Hyesung’s younger brother charged over.

              “What happened?” Jin Kyo made an effort to calm his voice.

              “Are you asking because you don’t actually know?  Or are just in disbelief?” Hyesung didn’t mean to snap at his brother, but he was embarrassed and tired of explaining to everyone.  He was still trying his best to accept it himself.

              “It’s just…” Jin Kyo didn’t finish and just lay a hesitant hand onto his brother’s left leg.  Hyesung was startled by the sudden action and by the realization that he couldn’t feel his brother’s hand on his leg.  The room became quiet.

              “Jin Kyo…can you please…remove your hand,” Hyesung rasped.  He was having difficulty breathing and his mind was racing a mile a minute.  Jin Kyo drew his hand back and looked into his older brother’s widening eyes.  Hyesung didn’t know what was happening to him.  His breathing was now coming out in rasps and his body was ceasing up.  His mind was a mess.  His thought weren’t coherent.  The only thing that he could recognize was the enormous amount of panic he was in.

              The heart monitor beside his bed began beeping erratically.  Eric was immediately at his side with panic in his own eyes.

              “Hyesung!  Hyesung?!  What’s wrong?” Eric was frantically searching Hyesung’s body trying to locate where the younger man was hurt.  Hyesung gasped and tried desperately to explain to Eric what was going on, but he was unable to find his voice.  Eric finally gave up and hit the emergency button alerting Hyesung’s doctor.

              Seconds later the doctor ran in and stopped besides his patient’s bed.  He looked up at the beeping heart monitor with a furrowed brow and observed Hyesung carefully.

              “Hyesung?  Hyesung.  Listen to me okay?” He gently gripped the slender man’s shoulders.

              “I think you’re having a panic attack.  I need you to try to calm down,” Hyesung continued gasping but began making an effort to process what the middle-aged man was saying.  As the doctor tried to calm Hyesung down, two nurses entered the room, seemingly called by the same distress signal the doctor heard.

              “Please bring me sedatives.  The patient is suffering a severe panic attack,” The nurses quickly rushed back out of the room and the doctor returned his attention to Hyesung.  By now, Hyesung was trembling and continuing to take gasping breaths.  Tears had begun to form in his eyes and were streaming down his face and soaking his pillow.  Sweat was dripping from his brow and his eyes were still wide with fright.  Jin Kyo and Eric had been watching on in silence but were very worried about the injured man.

              The doctor kept his eyes on the heart monitor and hand on the patient’s wrist to monitor his pulse directly.  The doctor was afraid that the rapid heart rate would cause his back to start bleeding again and would put Hyesung into shock.

              “Here doctor,” One of the nurses returned and handed the doctor the sedative.  He nodded his thanks and focused on the task at hand.

              “I’m going to give you a sedative that will help you relax,” He tried to explain to Hyesung, but Hyesung was too panicked to understand anything the man was saying.  The doctor lifted Hyesung’s arm and stuck the needle in.  The doctor slowly began injecting the sedative.  Hyesung immediately began feeling light headed.  His mind was getting foggy and he felt himself passing out.  Soon, Hyesung was no longer conscious.  The doctor removed the needle and sighed.  He turned to face the two worried men standing against the wall.

              “The sedative will keep him out for a while,” He took a step away from Hyesung’s bed.

              “Don’t worry about the attack.  Considering all that has happened to him, I’m more surprised that it didn’t happen earlier,” The doctor then nodded curtly and exited the room, probably to attend to his other patients.  Jin Kyo slowly walked to his brother’s side and pulled up a stool to sit on.  He gripped Hyesung’s hand with both of his.

              “Hyung,” He sobbed.  Eric was able to recover from the shock and stared at the unconscious figure of Hyesung.  The tight feeling in his chest returned when he saw Hyesung in pain and couldn’t do anything to help him.  It frustrated him beyond belief, but he was still powerless to do anything about it.  The vibrating of his pant pocket disrupted his train of thought.  Eric pulled out his phone and checked the caller ID.  It read Lee Jang Eon, the CEO of Liveworks and Hyesung’s boss.  Eric answered.

              “Hello,” he greeted politely.

              “Eric, I just received a request from the news network asking for permission to report on Hyesung’s car accident on the news tonight.  Do you know anything about this?” The CEO sounded frazzled on the other end.

              “Yeah.  Sorry I didn't call, I’ve been busy,” Eric groaned and massaged his temple.  He was feeling guilty for not contacting Liveworks, but the call reminded him that Hyesung was a celebrity.  And soon he would have to deal with all the media frenzy and business problems.

              “I’m actually at the hospital with Hyesung right now,” There was a moment of silence.

              “Really?  Great!  Let me speak to him to get this all sorted out,” Eric realized that Jang Eon didn’t know the extent of the damage and injuries the accident caused.

              “Um…well you see, Hyesung isn’t conscious right now,” Eric was trying to find a way to break the news to the man.  He heard the CEO huff in irritation.

              “Come on Eric.  I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.  Is he sleeping?  Knocked out?  Dead…” His voice grew softer at the last option.

              “No, no, no, nothing like that sir.  He’s sedated right now.  But, umm, I would be more comfortable meeting with you in person to talk about his current condition,” Eric knew that a face to face meeting would be the best way to break the news to the man.  Jang Eon was Hyesung’s boss, but he was also the singer’s friend.  They had known each other for over ten years and Eric knew that Jang Eon would have difficulty dealing with the news.

              “Okay.  I’ll clear my schedule right now.  But I need you to meet me here, at Liveworks.  I’m afraid I can’t get away,” Eric hesitated before agreeing.  He hadn’t left Hyesung’s side since he arrived at the hospital last night.  He glanced towards the hospital bed and took in the scene of Jin Kyo gently his older brother’s hand lovingly.  Eric knew that Hyesung would be in good hands even if he weren’t there.

              “Alright, I’ll head over right now,” Eric hung up and cleared his throat to get Jin Kyo’s attention.

              “I’m going to step out for a bit, I have some things to take care of.  Can you watch over Hyesung?” Jin Kyo nodded at the charismatic leader and returned his attention to his brother.  Eric swiftly exited the room before he had the chance to change his mind.  He hurried down the hall and organized his thoughts.  He had just decided to go home and shower as he passed Hyesung’s parents walking towards their son’s room.

              “Oh, Eric?  Are you leaving?” Mrs. Jung stopped the leader.

              “Yeah, I’m going to meet Lee Jang Eon to discuss about Hyesung,” Eric pulled himself from his thoughts to answer.

              “Thank you, I completely forgot to let him know,” Mrs. Jung was truly grateful to Eric for taking care of business with Hyesung’s company.

              “Don’t worry Mother, let me handle all the complicated things.  Go on and take care of your son,” Eric reassured her and then continued his journey down the hall.

              Eric made it to Liveworks in record time considering he stopped at home to shower and change.  He checked in at the front desk and then made his way up to Jang Eon’s floor.  He greeted Jang Eon’s personal secretary and then waltzed into his office.  The CEO was sitting behind his desk signing various important documents.  He paused as he heard Eric enter.  He stood up and greeted Shinhwa’s leader.

              “Eric, long time no see.  I only wish we were meeting for better reasons,” Jang Eon greeted happily.  The CEO’s relaxed smile told Eric that the man assumed everything was okay with Hyesung.  Eric became nervous with having to break the news to ’s long time friend.

              “Me too.  Shall we sit?” Eric made the first move and gestured towards the couch.  Eric knew he was being slightly rude rushing the CEO, but he was anxious to return to Hyesung’s side.  The little incident that occurred before he left had really shook him up.  Seeing Hyesung so panicked worried him.  He couldn’t get rid of the nagging feeling that something bad would happen if he weren’t at the younger man’s side.  Jang Eon didn’t notice Eric’s forwardness and sat comfortably on his couch facing Eric who was in his own seat.  Eric sat and folded his hands together, leaning forward with arms propped up on his thighs.

              “Mr. Lee, do you know anything about the accident?” Eric wanted to gage just how much the man knew before beginning.

              “Pretty much nothing I’m afraid.  When we called the station, they were very busy.  All they told me was that Hyesung was hit head on by a drunk driver and that he was treated at Gangnam Hospital last night and is resting now,” Eric’s blood boiled slightly at the part about the drunk driver but forced himself to continue listening to Jang Eon.  The information given to the CEO was very general and Eric wasn’t surprised that the man wasn’t worried.  The way the police put it made it sound like Hyesung was just dandy.

              “Well that is true to an extent, it’s just the details that need filling in,” Eric began to explain.  Jang Eon lapsed into silence and listened intently to the leader.

              “Hyesung was treated at Gangnam Hospital last night for a broken back,” The CEO’s smile slowly slid from his face and his expression grew very serious.

              “He did have other minor injuries, but that was the main one,” Eric paused not knowing if he should continue.  Jang Eon saw the rapper hesitating and nodded stiffly at him, signaling him to continue.

              “I’m afraid he’s paralyzed…indefinitely,” A long silence enveloped the room and Eric stayed staring at the CEO.

              “Eric,” Jang Eon finally spoke in an eerily calm voice.

              “I think we should call a meeting…and then a…

press conference