47

Right Next To Me

 

Narrator

 

Daehyun sat on the plastic bench; he ran both of his hands through his hair. He winced as he remembered seeing Nayoung, lying on the drag strip’s pavement, bleeding.

She has saved him.

And he hated himself for needing saving.

He closed his eyes as he leaned on his palms. Worry was eating him, as well as guilt.

“If something happens to her, Jung Daehyun, I will personally kill you.”

Junhee was glaring at him.

“Hee, sit down.” Youngjae said soothingly.

“For so many times, she tried to explain to you. And yet you always push her away!” Junhee snapped before leaving.

“You….you messed this up.” Youngjae said before following Junhee.

 

“What?!” Myungsoo bolted right up from his bed. Jaejoong had called him while Changmin was fixing the hospital papers.

“It was an accident. She saw Daehyun in trouble…..Nayoung jumped in just in time and pushed him. She got hit by the bike instead.”

Myungsoo put his phone down and stood up from his bed to head to the hospital.

 

 

Myungsoo arrived at the surgery room, he found Daehyun sitting down.

 

Daehyun looked up as he felt weight press against the other side of the bench.

“You know…it was all an act.” Myungsoo started.

Daehyun looked at him.

“We’ve been trying to….please our parents while acting like we’re back together. Nayoung didn’t really say it, but I knew she wanted to tell you about it, so that you wouldn’t misunderstand.”

“…What are you talking about?”

“We were just acting, it was the only way we could escape from the engagement. We were looking for an opportunity to give our parents a clean break. We had to do it.”

Daehyun shook his head.

“Nayoung wanted to tell you everything, because she was worried you’d get the wrong idea. But you never listened to her.”

Daehyun looked down.

“She..feels the same about you, she just….doesn’t understand it yet.”

“I hope…..you’ll listen to what she has to say.” Myungsoo said as he stood up and left.

 

Changmin sighed as he stepped out of Nayoung’s room.

“How is she?” Jaejoong asked.

“Asleep, but the doctor says she’s fine and maybe she’ll be up by tomorrow hyung.”

Jaejoong nodded, his shoulders relaxing a little.

Then Changmin saw Daehyun walking towards them, he frowned for a moment and stepped away from the door.

 

Daehyun closed the door behind him and looked at Nayoung. She was asleep; she had a cast on her right leg and a few bruises on her elbows and cheek.

Daehyun felt his heart clench as he saw her. He felt his eyes moisten as he caressed her cheek.

The usually energetic Shim Nayoung looked pale on her bed. Daehyun felt like hitting himself.

“I’m so sorry, Na. I didn’t…know.” He whispered as he looked at her and gently pushed out the hair on her face.

“I hope you’ll forgive me when you wake up….I love you, Shim Nayoung.”

Daehyun bent down and kissed her forehead.

 

Myungsoo bit his lip as he sat with his parents inside Nayoung’s room.

On the other side of the room were the Shim elders, standing by the window.

“I can’t believe this, she knew she was going to get hurt but she saved…that boy.” Mrs. Shim said.

Myungsoo actually flinched at her tone.

“Son, did you and Nayoung fight? How come she went~”

“I’m only going to say this once, eomma and appa.” He said as he looked up.

“I’m not going to marry Nayoung.”

The elders looked at him alarmingly. Myungsoo eyed Nayoung who was sleeping peacefully.

“We…lied to you. We broke up long ago, and never made effort to get back again. Nayoung doesn’t have feelings for me anymore. And I already have let her go.”

“Myungsoo~”

“Please, just let Nayoung be. I know I’m not the man who can make her happy, not anymore.” He shook his head and stood up.

“I hope you understand us.” He finished before stepping out of the room.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++