One Step Closer

The Right Key

Days passed, Taeyeon's life seemed to turn upside down after their encounter. Ever since the party, Park Leeteuk always appeared in front of her, no matter during family gathering or business meeting. It seemed that the marriage was inevitable.

 

"Taeyeon, Jungsoo is here" Her mum shouted for her.

 

Choiceless, Taeyeon made her way down to the living room with much annoyance. 

 

"Hi" the male greeted with much enthusiaism

 

Taeyeon replied with a nod, before leaving for the kitchen to grab a bite.

 

"Taeyeon, what are you doing here? Go up and change now. Jungsoo is already here to pick you up" Mrs Kim nagged at the former again anxiously.

With that, Mrs Kim pulled Taeyeon back to her room and dressed her up even though Taeyeon was retaliating silently.

 

"I don't even understand the purpose of going to his family party" Taeyeon thought with annoyance.

 

"See how pretty you are! Do remember your manners at Park's mansion later!" Mrs Kim smiled at her daughgter's reflection in the mirror. These six months changed Taeyeon a lot. She started talking to her parents, listening to them and even bothered to interact with them.

 

"You look gorgeous tonight" Jungsoo complimented

 

"Are you implying that i'm not gorgeous without makeup"

 

Jungsoo smirked at her comment. Perhaps, her wittiness was one of the many qualities that made him want to know her more.

 

"Do you need me to fetch you there tomorrow" Jungsoo asked, trying to keep the conversation going.

 

"Its your 14th time asking me that question" Taeyeon retorted, clearly not interested in the direction he's heading.

 

"Oh, so you want to be slapped again and ended up in the hosipital once more"

 

"It's none of your business anyway"

 

Sensing her frustration, Jungsoo decided that he should stop here and concentrated on his driving.

 

As expected, a posh and well-designed architect welcomed them at the end of the road. It was one of the many mansions Park family had.

 

"I have never seen this one before" Taeyeon sacarstically exclaimed.

 

"There are still many more which you have yet laid your eyes on"

 

"Your dad's wealth does not equate to yours"

 

"But your wealth does"

 

Taeyeon chuckled at his comments. She had to admit, that Jungsoo did have the capability to make her laugh at his lame jokes.

 

"You should get over him you know" Jungsoo casually remarked.

 

"Are you out to ruin my mood tonight"

 

"Its tomorrow. Is there a better time than now?" Jungsoo emphasized, clearly determined to put an end to this conversation tonight.

 

"Its been 4 years, and it will continue as such."

 

"Just when i thought you are a strong woman, you proved me otherwise"

 

"That's your judgment and i would not comment further"

 

"Don't you know that because of him, you parents have been so affected by it? Can't you be more understanding. Jungsoo raised his voice.

 

"And who are you to lecture me? I don't need another person to consistently remind me what i should do what i should not do"

 

Taeyeon deliberately stepped on Jungsoo's feet before leaving the ballroom for some breather. She battled with all her might to not let those vulnerable tears to drop. It shouldn't hurt this much.

 

But it hurts. Because what he said was spot on.

 

She knew that she had been troubling her parents for past 4 years. She knew that she would be rejected again if she turned up tomorrow. She knew that she needed to forget him.

 

She knew

 

But she can't

 

It was then she broke down. All the walls that she built up the past year seemed to crumble down within seconds.

 

Every year, without fail.

 

"Hey i'm sorry. I was too harsh earlier" Jungsoo, who finally found Taeyeon, whispered.

 

Not wanting anyone to see this vulnerable side of her, Taeyeon turned away.

 

"Just saying, if you want to visit him tomorrow i can accompany you"

 

Silence

 

"Are you really okay? If you are still upset with me, we can take a leave first"

 

Silence

 

"Do you need a tissue to wipe your tears"

 

Silence

 

"Please reply me so i know where this conversation is leading?! I feel like i'm talking to a wall"

 

"I need a breather" Taeyeon finally replied, softly.

 

Just a short reply sent the couple off to Han River, where they strolled down the park.

 

"Why are you so curious about him?" Taeyeon asked, trying to hide her curiousity.

 

"I guess that's the bridge between you and I"

 

Silence engulfed them once more. Jungsoo hated the silence and swore silently that he would not allow such awkward moments when they are married.

 

23 00. It was only then did they realise how long they had been walking.

 

"Sorry for my harsh comments earlier. Have a good night" Jungsoo bided farewell as the car pulled over at Kim's mansion.

 

"Fetch me up at 8am tomorrow. Don't be late"