Chapter 7

The Doctors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Their pagers started to ring. They both headed towards the urology department. The nurse lamented, "It's always either no one comes or two doctors come together. He can't pee."

  "Get ready the urinary catheter, he says that it hurts," Dr Jung ordered. His pager rang again. "There's a new admission at Ward 4C. You take care of that, I will take charge here." 

  "Okay," she nodded her head as she replied him softly.

It was 8 in the morning when the other doctors reported to work. 

Seohyun walked into the staff lounge, eyes almost closing when the other doctors rushed over to give their concerns. 

"You look so tired," Tiffany commented.

"Are you okay?" Minho asked. 

"Yes, I will be fine," Seohyun told them as she drew a chair to sit on. 

Tiffany got more concerned as she further questioned, "Are you sure that you won't want to rest for a while? I can wake you up later!" 

Seohyun waved her hand and dismissed the idea politely as she took a sip of her energy drink, "It's okay, I am fine. You may want to arrange the charts again."

"Look at how afraid you are, you must be afraid of Jung Yonghwa."

"It is Seohyun who is professional alright, I will go and arrange the charts now," Tiffany replied to Minho's comment. 

"Oh, and how are you going to survive with that can of coffee? If you don't mind, you can have mine, authentic Indonesian coffee."

Seohyun peeped into the contents of the cup as she smiled and rejoiced, "It's my favorite too! Didn't think that we would have similar taste buds. Thanks, I will treat you next time."

"Hey Tiffany, do you have one more cup? He looks like he needs it too," Minho pointed at the walking zombie in sports outfit.

"Good morning everyone!" Leeteuk greeted. 

They all greeted back when the Jung Yonghwa walked in with his aura. "Good morning Dr Jung!"

"You look so tired, would you rather take the night shift last night?"

"Last night I was playing games and chatting with my friends, till about 5 this dawn. If I sleep, I was worried that I can't wake up," Dr Jung gave an intense glare that he didn't notice. 

"And I wasn't sure if I should sleep, so I rode my bicycle all the way here from home," Seohyun gave an annoyed glance while she continued to drink her coffee. 

"You rode your bicycle all the way here from your home?" Tiffany asked, bewildered. 

"Actually, all it takes is just around two hours," he boasted, giving a puff through the nose.

"So how are you going to work if you didn't sleep the whole night?" Seohyun asked, elbow resting on the backrest of her seat.

"What's there to be scared of? You guys didn't sleep too!"

"Doctors on call may get a little rest, but we really didn't get any sleep last night," Dr Jung spoke. 

"Why?" Leeteuk asked, curious about the cases that happened the night before.

Without a pause, the Jung Yonghwa continued, "Do you know that you made a sever mistake yesterday? Entering the wrong particulars, mixing up the X-Ray films, and we had to clean up the mess you made!"

Leeteuk quickly stood up as he received disapproving glares from everyone in the room, "Fine, I am sorry."

"So can I break your head before I say sorry?" The Jung Yonghwa raised his voice.

"Of course not," he shook his head slightly. 

"You dare to shake your head?" He pointed back at the scared Leeteuk, who was facing a very, very angry man now. 

"When you say sorry, some patients may have died because of your mistake."

"Forget it, it was his first day afterall. He still needs time to adjust. When we first stepped in, we were like this too," Seohyun interfered. 

The pager rang, and the Jung Yonghwa took it out of his coat, eyes not leaving the crook. 

"I have an emergency operation, help me to take Seo Haneul for a CT scan," receiving a nod. 

Seeing that the Jung Yonghwa has just left, Leeteuk scurried to his senior to thank her, but earned a scolding instead. 

"What's wrong with you? You are so clumsy! Make sure that you do it seriously." 

"No problem," he replied.

Following that, the doctors left him alone in the lounge.

"The CT scan has shown that the condition of the patient has remained the same since yesterday. The blood clot is still at this part of the brain," Seo Joo Hyun explained to Haneul's parents. 

"What does this mean then?"

"Actually if there isn't much changes after so many hours, his condition is not that serious."

"So do we have to remove the blood clot, for example by means of operation?"

"If there is no other problems, the clot will dissolve by itself and there will be no need to operate on him."

"So my son can actually be discharged?" Mrs Seo asked, elated.

Dr John Chang replied, "For safety precautions, I would advise for him to stay for one more night for observation."

"One more night? But I thought he's okay?" 

"And he has a competition later on..."

"Dr Chang, actually I have been observing this patient's condition throughout the night and he was very conscious and he didn't complain of any headache. He also very much wants to join the competition, why not discharge him?"

"Yes, we would appreciate it if you just sign for his discharge."

"Since you insist, I can approve of his discharge. But you must bring him back for regular check-ups," Dr Chang said.

The parents were immediately in joy. 

Dr Jung Yonghwa walked into the ward and looked through the glass panel into the cubicle to look out for Seo Haneul. Noticing his absence, Yonghwa walked to the reception to enquire about his patient. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter