Chapter 6

The Doctors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  "Thank you, Dr Seo, for attending this consultation ceremony with us."

  "Don't mention it, I was born in this hospital. And the fact that I was able to do anything at all makes me glad," Dr Seo replied, picking up the files he had opened and flipped through during that meeting.

  "After all, you are still Dr Seo Dong Min, the reowned neurosurgeon who has a long list of patients waiting for you back at the clinic. Your time is precious," a woman with wavy hair humbly spoke. 

  "And that's why we couldn't keep him," Director Pil laughed.

  "And we couldn't learn from you," Dr Chang tried to his boots. 

  "Stop teasing me John, I am well-informed. You were just promoted to associate consultant, and you call the shots now, don't you?" He took a sip of coffee, and a chuckle was heard. 

  "I'm still a far cry from you, Dr Seo!" They all laughed, genuine or not, it was hard to tell.

  "I won't take up any more of your time, Dr Seo," the man sitting at the lone seat in front of the conference room stood up as he extended his handshake.

  "Do you need me to walk you out of the building?" Director Pil asked in almost a whisper.

  "Oh, no. It's not necessary, I will just catch up with some old friends, since I am already here," he fixated his gaze on Dr Chang, and raised his right hand signalling his thanks. As he walked out of the room, the people inside bowed to him as John just had his eyes following the silhouette of the man.

  Seo Joohyun made her way down to the canteen, brisk walking in those high heels of hers. She cautiously looked around as she took her seat in front of a middle-aged man.

  "Dad, how did the meeting go? It's over?"

  "Yes, and how's my daughter's first day at work?" The neurosurgeon asked his daughter.

  "What? You told me to take it easy. Afraid that I would embarrass you at work? Don't worry, nobody knows that I am your daughter!" She said in a whisper, hunching her back. 

  "I know what you are thinking. If others know that I am your father, they might give you preferential treatment."

  She pursed her lips and looked elsewhere but her father's eyes as she nodded slightly, "But what can I do? My father's a reowned neurosurgeon."

  "Here you go," a man suddenly took a seat beside the father. Seo Joohyun's face changed completely.

  "Mentor, you haven't tasted the milk tea here in quite a long time," Jung Yonghwa picked up the saucer holding a cup of tea and placed it carefully in front of the parent. "Half a stick of sugar?" Jung asked.

  Seo Joohyun frowned at the sight in front of her.  "Good memory you have there," the older Dr Seo replied. "You?" Jung Yonghwa asked his junior, smiling at her. 

  "I can do it myself," she replied. 

  Looking at the pack of sugar being poured into the milk tea, she felt her blood boiling with irritation. "You haven't told me how your first day is at work." That brought her back to senses. "Hey, I should ask her senior. What do you think of her?"

  Quickly putting down the cup he first held, he answered promptly, "Stop joking with me, Mentor. You should check with the ward if you really want to know, and your old friends too. You have left for a year and they still miss you."

  "Well that being said. But I know the saying, 'Out of sight, out of mind.' I left the hospital for my own practice. They may just think that I betrayed them."

  "Nothing of that sort, Mentor. I dare say that everyone still holds the same respect they had for you back then." Seo Joohyun gave him a glare.

  "Really? But if they know that I intend to poach you after you graduate, they might not think the same way again. I have also told my partner to prepare you a room and a hot nurse."

   "Thank you Mentor. You are still an authority in this field and being able to learn from you even though you have left the hospital, it is my honour," he smiled, bowing to the man in front of him. He was oblivious to the stare that was on him though.

  After a cheers, he caught a glimpse of the daughter and her sulky face and bring sensitive, he excused himself.

  "My most outstanding protege, don't waste your chance to learn from him. He knows what he's doing," her father spoke, crossing his leg and leaving his hand resting on the armchair next to him. "And of course how to up to you."

  "You've got him wrong."

  "Right, right. Anyway, he is the most respectful and most hardworking protege. Your daughter is hardworking too, got to go. See you later," she said, ending off with a sip of her tea.

  "Seo Haneul's report shows that there is really a tiny blood clot in his brain," the nurse said, amazed at the precision of Dr Jung's words.

  "7-8 hours between the accident and the CT, and only a tiny clot, it should be alright as long as there is no more haemorrhaging," the young but knowlegeable Dr Seo commented. 

  "2 years ago, there was a young man who had his head hit in a basketball game. The report also said that it was a tiny clot, but his situation took a turn during his 48-hours observation in the hospital," Dr Jung said, looking up into Seo's eyes as he meant every word seriously. "He needs an operation."

  "I remember it now, that time it was also Dr Jung who insisted on the stay," one of the nurses said. 

  "I know that you are experienced, and I don't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter