Chapter 4

The Doctors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Yonghwa picked up the clipboard from the front of the patient's bed. "Good morning. How are you? Your head still painful after the surgery?" The patient subconsciously touched the bandage on his head and replied that he was already feeling much better, and Yonghwa advised him to quit drinking. However, the middle-aged patient argued that social drinking wouldn't hurt and said that a few glasses of red wine was acceptable. "What you are doing isn't just social drinking, it's binge drinking. Next time, if you get drunk and fall down the stairs, you may not be this lucky. It's up to you to quit drinking," he rebutted coldly, thereafter slamming the patient's record file on the table and moved to the next patient. All the trainees shared gazes of confusion and shrugged their shoulders.

Male Neurosurgery Ward 4B

 Seohyun followed closely behind her senior. "Put your hand over your left eye and look at me," Yonghwa instructed the patient. The patient did as told as Yonghwa continued, "If you see my fingers, say yes." Yonghwa moved his hand from the back of the patient, slowly forward. The patient responded quickly to the movements. 

Female Neurosurgery Ward 4

 Along the corridor, the senior posed a question to his juniors, "What might an acute headache mean?" Minho quickly replied, "There are several possibilities. It might be a brain tumour, or an intracranial haemorrhage."

  When Yonghwa further questioned for the differences between the two conditions, Minho answered again, "In the manner of how they strike. For a brain tumour, the headache comes slowly. Whereas for an intracranial haemorrhage, it comes suddenly." Yonghwa turned to look at him while he flashed his confident smile.

 "Actually, besides using the manner of how the headache strikes to tell the difference, we should look for other signs and symptoms as well," the silent Seohyun suddenly spoke up. Everyone had their stares fixated on her as she continued, "A sudden headache, loss of vision and paralysis of the limbs are symptoms of a haemorrhagic . The symptoms of brain tumour are much more complicated. Different tumours have different symptoms. For instance, a frontal lobe tumour may lead to a sudden change in character. So before a thorough examination, we can't tell much."

  Yonghwa looked at Seohyun with ounces of admiration and nodded approvingly. He turned to Minho and said, "Neurosurgical issues are often implicit. Conclusions can only be drawn after thorough analysis. Please make sure that you understand the question be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter