Himchan

Sound of Rain

When appa took the new girl in, I wasn't the least interested in her.

I mean really, what's so interesting about a new girl that was again bought by appa?

I turned back to my drawing, not lifting my head when appa called me twice.

"HImchan you bastard." came appa's stern voice.

I unwillingly looked up and put on a professional smile.

"Yes appa."

"Here's a new friend for you. Play nice." He said before going upstairs.

I nodded and when he disappeared from my sight, I grabbed my pencil and continued on my drawing, smile disappearing from my face. Thoughts of the girl were totally forgotten and thrown to the back of my head.

After half an hour of silence, I put down my pencil and sneaked a side glance at her. She was still in her standing position where appa left her, fondling with the hem of her dress.

"Hey."

She flinched and looked at me with frightened eyes. As if I were the predator and she was the prey. I mean, my scary eyes aren't that scary right? Right?

"What's your name?"

Her eyes remained the same, just that they softened down abit, just a little bit. She shook her head and tangled her fingers together while bitting her lip.

"Can you not talk?"

"I can." She said quickly. "I can....."

I sighed at her and motioned her to sit beside me. She hesitated at first, but she looked at my held out hand and accepted my invitation.

"So what's your name?" I asked, taking my pencil up again and continued my sketch

"I don't....have....a name......"

"Really? Appa didn't name you?"

"Yeah......."

I didn't answer after that. Even though we started a little short conversation, doesn't mean I'm interested in new people appa takes in, neither does it mean I'll play nice with her.

Of course, I won't throw her in boiling hot oil. That's just evil.

 

"Excuse me........." She slowly approached me, I noticed from the corner of my eye

"You talking to me?" I asked, acting like I just saw her

"Uhh yeah." She hesitated before continuing.  "What's your name?"

"Why do you want to know?" I snapped at her

"We can be friends..........."

"It doesn't concern you."

"But....."

She stood there awkwardly. I could see that she wanted to get close to me but I simply refused to have anything to do with her.

"We can still be friends if you don't know my name." I finally gave in and said

She jumped on her spot a few times before carefully sitting beside me, looking over my shoulder once in a while to see what I was drawing.

"You draw really nicely......." She said, her breath tickling my ears. I moved away a little and nodded my head as response.

"Can you draw people?"

"Maybe."

"I want you to draw me."

"No."

 

"Are you playing nice?" Appa asked at dinner. I put my full attention to the steak that I cut slowly, thinking that it was Appa and I was cutting him slowly

"Yes...." She replied and smiled shyly while drinking her soup.

"Himchan?" Appa asked when I didn't reply

"Yup. We are. Totally nice. We're closer than you and omma now." I said sarcasticly, taking a drink

"That's good." Appa said, gritting his teeth and ignoring the second half of my words. "Don't fight and be good."

"Oh totally. I'm good. I don't break people's families. I just draw my fantasies."

Appa tightened his grip on the knife. He held back the urge to pull his son into a headlock and stab the knife at his neck. He couldn't do that, I'd refuse to talk to him. Not that I'm really willing now.

"Do you need anything dear?" He asked her. She shook her head and glanced at me

"She needs a name appa. A name."

"You name her then." Appa said, standing up and leaving the room, excusing himself with his "work"

"So. What do you want your name to be?"

"I don't know....."

"I'll name you Molla then."

"Uhh......."

"Don't like it? Name yourself then." I said, chowing down in the last piece of steak and left the table. I grabbed my bag and pencils and went outside to the garden.

"My name?"

 

"Hey...." She called softly, shaking me up. I stirred in my sleep but didn't open my eyes.

"Hey. Uggh god this is why I need your name......." she mumbled

"What?" I asked, still not opening my eyes and threw my arm over my face. "Are you crazy? What time is it now................."

"I need to tell you something." She said, slowly sitting on the edge of my bed. I rolled over, leaving a huge space. Not that I meant for her to lie down, but she did. And I had no energy to push her off. She'll get it in the morning.

"What......it's 3 in the morning damn...."

"Can you tell me your name first?"

"It's Himchan.........." I said, throwing the pillow over my face, muffling the swear words I said

"Himchan....." She said my name. "Himchan. Do you know what ahjusshi works as?"

"No......I thought you are supposed to call that dude appa or something........."

"Do you know what ahjusshi works as?" She completely ignored my question and asked again

"No......"

"I just found out that he's a bad guy. He does bad things for bad purposes. And I came over here to fufill one of his bad thoughts."

"Interesting........" I can't anymore. My conciousness was slipping away. One more sentence was all it took to make me fall asleep again.

"And he acts like he's the good guy around here......." She said, pulling my blanket over her and turned the other way, back facing me. I groaned and tried to kick her away. She remained still wrapped in my blanket like a worm. I readjusted myself to a comfortable position and drifted off.

 

"Hey." I said to her when I saw her this morning. She was sitting on the couch starring outside the windows. She turned and smiled to me like nothing happened last night.

"Morning Himchan." She said. I could feel my heart tickle when she said my name. It just feels weird. Hardly anyone calls me by my name. 

"What was that yesterday?" I asked, sitting beside her. She looked around the room cautiously before whispering to me. "Ahjusshi is a bad man."

"In what way?" I asked her

"I heard him yesterday saying to sell off the drugs and buy another person."

"And then?"

"Isn't that.....bad?" She asked me

"Well yeah." I said, returning to my original position and pushing her away from me. We were too close just now. "Sort of."

"So do you know anything about it?" She asked, bouncing closer to me. I backed away when she came closer

"If you come closer I'm not going to tell." She stopped moving and moved backwards. She then looked at me with curious eyes.

"You sure you want to know?" When she nodded eagerly I stood up

"I told you last night. I don't know." I went to the kitchen to fix some breakfast for myself. Behind me I could hear her running here, calling me.

"Hey. I know you know. I want to know." She said, pouting behind me while I tried my best to ignore her.

It was pretty hard considering she stole my slippers away, and it was freaking cold to walk on the bare floor on bare foot in the morning.

 

"Can you give me my slippers back?" I said, finally giving in.

"So tell me, Himchan nim." She said, handing the slippers back to me.

"Everyone here was bought." I told her, sitting on the sofa again with my drawing book and pencil. "The maids, the guards, you."

"What about you?"

"I'm his only son." I said, sketching some random lines. "Soon, you'll be sold off, like every other kid that entered this door."

"Sold off? Where to?" She asked, sounding afraid at the thought of her being sold off to a stranger in a strange place

"Nobody knows. To be exact, no one cares." I drew eyes and long wavy hair. It slowly formed into someone's face.

"Including.......you?"

"Including me." I repeated. After a few minutes of silence, only the scrapping of the pencil against the paper, I looked up to see what was she doing.

"What?" I asked her. She was starring into space again, eyes hollow like a deep pit.

"Ohh. Nothing."

"I bet you wished I didn't tell you that right." I said, observing her face carefully and drawing each feature down

"Sort....of......"

"Don't go sneaking around in his room anymore. He doesn't need extra company." I told her, adding some shadows in the picture. "Here." I tore out the paper when I was done and gave it to her.

"You.....drew me."

"Sorta. It just came out." I said, going upstairs for a nap

 

The morning seemed a little too quiet today, especially when usually we'd be sitting at the dinning table together. Miraculously, appa was at home, and he specifically told us to get our asses up so that we could eat breakfast together.

She was exceptionally quiet, and so was he. Usuall he'd ask us to "get along and play well" again like he usual does, but he said nothing today. He simply flipped through the morning paper.

"Hey." I called. She looked up alarmingly and shook her head, telling me not to speak. I ignored her

"Why are you so quiet today?" I directed the question to appa. He shot me a look and turned back to his paper.

"Dude."

"Quiet Himchan. I might give you away." He said quietly.

I froze in my seat. There was no way he said that. The impact of that short little line. He couldn't bear to give me away. He has no reason to. Unless........

"You guys talked yesterday?" I asked her. She glanced at appa and bit her lip

"Why? Why aren't you talking?" I asked her again. She shook her head hard. Frustrated, I slammed my palms on the table and stood up

"You'd better start talking."

"She can't. Can you girl?" Appa said, closing his paper and settling it neatly on the table.

"What do you mean she can't?" I demanded

"Prying into things and knowing things you shouldn't know. Under normal circumstances I would kill you, but since Himchan takes a liking to you, I'll spare your death wish."

"What?" I looked at him in disbelief. What did he mean? Did they really talk?

I turned to look at her. "I told you not to know anything anymore!" I yelled at her. She hung her head lower, I could see the sparkle of her tears under her thick hair

"That's right, leash out everything on her. She's going to go in two days."

"Go? You mean-"

"She's sold. A good price for a child who cannot talk." He said, leaving us.

"Explain." I said, as soon as he was gone from sight. She raised her head a little and raised one of her hands too.

"What am I saying. You can't talk anymore." I grabbed my hair in frustration so hard that I could feel some strands uprooting.

Why am I even feeling frustrated? I didn't give a damn about her. Never did, never will. I ran out of damns to give a long time ago.

"So he cut your tounge off because you were nosy?" I asked her. She nodded slowly and her tears fell silently.

I let out a loud sigh and walked away. She grabbed my by my waist and hugged me tight from behind.

Was it cruel of me to push her away?

 

So that was it. She was gone. I didn't even know how or when. When I woke up, it was the empty  house that greeted me. No excited footsteps, no one bumping into furniture, no one to steal my blankets.

As I ate breakfast alone, I drew a portait of her with her image in my brain. Page after page, expression after expression, each beautiful like the next. All the same person.

I finished the last one when thunder clapped and rain fell. The tears in her eyes still remained, never falling. I closed my book and flung it out of the window, along with everything about her.

I burnt the book after the rain stopped.

 

"I draw you with a pencil then try to erase you with an eraser that is the falling pain."

 


 

Sorry this took so long and that this was much longer than Youngjae's ><

It needed lots of uhh. scene cuts. That's why =3

Leave a comment of love (or not.....)

Me being evil. I like when his dad called him "Himchan you bastard" ><

..............

Cr on pic. DO NOT EDIT

*ppyong*