Chapter 6

The Art of Life II: Fly High!

I.

The next day, Yuri’s leg is all better and she is once again ready to face the challenges of today. She, along with her friends, stretch their limbs before embarking on another vigorous routine. In comes Soo Young.

“Attention everybody!” Soo Young announces. “I have officially signed us up for the Interschool Hip Hop Dance Competition. We will be competing against 5 different performing arts schools across South Korea. Now, if you guys want to win, let’s get practicing!” she says with enthusiasm. The students all go to their positions but before the music even starts, Soo Young has room for another announcement.

“Everybody to your positions!” Soo Young prances around like an army general. “I’ve created a brand new routine. I’m going to show you the routine right now and I want each and every single one of you to follow me…” Soo Young stands in front of Yuri and stares her down, recalling the vicious catfight they had yesterday. Yuri looks at Soo Young briefly then looks away, rolling her eyes. “…you’re out! Let’s get started. Music!”

[music: “The Boogie That Be/Breakaway mix by The Black Eyed Peas/Basement Jaxx]

[a/n: recall Soo Young, HyoYeon, and Yuri’s number with that music.]

Soo Young performs the dance quickly, her way of making sure that the others can’t and won’t follow her. Sure enough, the others are having a hard time following the steps but not for Yuri. Yuri takes another good look at the dance and recalls what she learned back in her old dance school. She realizes that Soo Young’s steps are exactly like the steps her old dance teacher taught her. Still fresh in her memory, Yuri follows Soo Young. Soo Young is enjoying herself and dances with all the satisfaction in the world but stops smiling as soon as she sees Yuri in the mirror, completely able to follow her.

“What the?” she mumbles. Yuri steps forward and stands beside her, performing the choreography, perfectly in sync with Soo Young. The others have given up but the two are still giving it a go. The song ends and the two of them finish beautifully with a pose. Yuri turns to face the 5’7” Soo Young and cockily running a hand through her hair, she says,

“Got any more dance routines?” Yuri chews her tongue like bubble gum and walks away. The class-including Minzy and Hyunah-applaud her as she walks back to her troupe. Soo Young is left standing dumbfounded, still in disbelief that Yuri knows the steps.
“What? Are you still gonna eliminate half, more than half of your dance team? Soo Young?” Yuri asks. Soo Young glints her eyes once more and faces the class, acting like nothing happened.

“Alright, that is not the only routine I made. I choreographed another. Everybody stand up and follow me!”

[music: “Go Girl” by Pitbull]

Soo Young’s dance at first is just plain y. Simple yet y, making it easy for the others to follow. The steps that follow are just plain hard, not to mention obscene. Soo Young has incorporated steps that look as if she’s pleasuring herself, and her facial expression while dancing only justifies that. While the weaker, more docile students continue to follow Soo Young, Yuri stands up and tells the DJ to cut the music. Soo Young and the others fall to the floor.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!?” Soo Young screams.

“Soo Young, those steps are just outright obscene! The judges won’t allow that!”

“ what the judges think!”

“You can’t do that!”

“Why not?”

“You just can’t! It’s too much! I don’t want to look like I’m ing in front of thousands of people! Who wants to?!”

“, there’s no rule stating that steps as such aren’t allowed! Don’t make your own rules. You’re not the boss here!”

“Oh so you want to look like you’re in front of a lot of people?!”

“It’s not ! Your brain is ing dirty! It’s just a dance step!”

“If you don’t want to lose your best dancer, I suggest you remove the obscene parts!” Yuri isn’t bragging. She is the best dancer and they’ve been told time and time again that their group cannot survive without Yuri.

“To hell with whoever said you’re the best dancer.” Soo Young grunts. “You know what, Kwon Yuri, this is my team. I am the Dance Captain and the tasked choreographer. If you have beef with my steps…” Soo Young points at the door. “Door’s open. Get out and form your own crew.” Yuri turns away and shakes her head, with no choice but to follow Soo Young’s lead, much to her displeasure. The music starts once more and the others dance dirtily. Not being able to take it, Yuri walks away and goes to the ladies room. Soo Young and the others notice this and stop the music.

“Anyone else want to join her?” Soo Young asks loudly.

Just then, Taeyang walks out and runs after Yuri. Turns out, Yuri isn’t in the bathroom after all. She’s just right outside, leaning on the lockers. Taeyang finds her and tries to talk things out with her.

“What the hell is her problem! Why does she have to be so self-centered!” Yuri bangs a locker with her hand, making it hurt and turn red. Taeyang bites his lip at the intensity of the situation.

“Don’t worry about her. She’s really like that. Soo Young lacks attention at home so she comes her and unleashes her inner diva. Most likely she’s being ignored by her parents.” Taeyang explains.

“I’m trying to make things work for our group because no one else has suggestions. I keep suggesting things to her but I always get insulted. It’s like the only person in this class that matters to her is herself! Might as well just compete on her own if that’s the case.”

“You have to understand Soo Young-”

“I’m done understanding her, Taeyang!” Yuri screams. “She’s worse than GaHee! She’s a tyrant! Self centered! ing airhead! She does this for herself.”

“But her fam-”

“I don’t give a about her family! My family is just as or even 10 times more ed up than hers and you tell me that it’s because of her family!” Yuri is now crying. She leans on the lockers and sobs. “Now I’m gonna get kicked out of the squad and I’m not gonna compete, I’m not gonna do what I live to do because of her! Her insensititivity!” Taeyang places an arm around her and holds her close. Yuri feels butterflies but the hurt overpowers the infatuation. She cries on Taeyang’s chest.

“Don’t you worry now, everything will be okay. I’ll talk to Soo Young for you.” he rubs her hair.

“No use. She’s not gonna listen.” Yuri pulls away. “She said that if I wanted to play by my own rules, I should form my own crew. Might as well.”

“Sounds like a plan. But everyone’s afraid of Big Soo Young so I think not many people are gonna join you.”

“I don’t care. I just want to compete and prove to her what I’m made of.” Yuri wipes her tears with the back of her hand and walks back in the dance studio. Taeyang follows suit.


II.

While vocalizing with the entire class, Bom feels her stomach grumble. Grumbling so much to the point that she feels as if acid is eating up her stomach and intestines. She wants to go to the cafeteria and buy herself a sandwich or maybe some ice cream but thinks about her diet and desire to look y for Changmin and opts not to. Bom bears with the pain and sings on an empty stomach.

She’s not had anything since this morning. Not even a glass of water. The only thing that she put in today is a small sip from the fountain. No more, no less. After the vocalization process, the Voice Students now sing their piece. Daesung looks at Bom and sees her very pale face and somewhat thinning frame.

“You know what, you lost weight.” Daesung whispers. Bom looks at him and rests her head on her table.

“Thanks. But I think I only lost 1 pound.” Bom sleeps on her desk. Bom has become increasingly sleepy since starting the diet.

“A pound’s a lot.” Daesung tries to be optimistic to keep his friend’s spirits up but Bom just has 0 energy for that.

“I’m gonna sleep. Cover up for me, will you?”

“You’ll get caught.”

“PARK BOM LEE!” the teachers calls for Bom and Bom suddenly shoots up, more alert than ever. “Since you will be competing in the Singing Contest, why don’t you come forward and let us hear your piece. What’ll you be singing?” Bom looks around and sees that the entire class is looking at her strangely, like she has dirt on her face.

“I’m not quite sure of the title yet.” Bom will sing an original composition, that being the song that she’s been practicing for days. “But I can sing it for you if you want me to.” The class cheers. They love it when Bom sings. Bom goes to the stage and sits on the small bench behind the keyboard. Allowing herself some time to recall the notes, she closes her eyes and thinks of it, but another thought pops in her head…

Max Changmin.

Bom loses it. She recalls the notes but when she plays it, she plays rather slower than before. Nonetheless, she sings the song and elicits cheers and howls from her classmates.

Max Changmin.

Thinking of what they did the other day, Bom’s head spins out of control and she presses a wrong key, making everything wrong. Bom’s eyes widen and she stops singing. Mental block, that’s what’s happening to her. All of a sudden, she stands up and walks back to her seat, not a shade of embarrassment on her face. As soon as she is seated, she rests her head on the table and sleeps. The others look at her while the teacher just her head to the side and proceeds with the lesson.

“Maybe she’s fatigued. Let her rest.” Bom sleeps soundly in class.

[LATER AT LUNCHTIME]

The pangs are extremely hard to ignore now. It’s 12 nn and that spells lunchtime. Bom pinches her stomach and is crouching because of pain while walking with Daesung. Daesung looks at her worriedly and offers to help her.

“No, it’s okay. I’m fine.” Bom and Daesung reach their usual table and are surprised by what is on it.

“A boquet of flowers and a necklace? Well that’s not from me.” Daesung says. “Neither is it for me, I know.”

“Obviously. Wait. Who’s it from?” Bom can feel her heart racing. Among the flowers is a card with her name written beautifully in script. She takes the card and opens it.

To the most beautiful singer alive. Vocally and facially.

From,

Choikang.

“BINGO!” Daesung yells. Bom’s eyes widen and sure enough she isn’t blinking. Her heart is skipping and a wide smile starts to form on her face.

“Give me money!” she demands from Daesung. Daesung’s eyes widen and he puts down his lunchbox, frantically feeling his pockets for any cash like he’s being robbed.

“Here you go.” he hands her money. Bom runs to the dessert counter and orders three slices of chocolate ice cream cake, today’s specialty. The lady gives it to her and she hands the cash. Bom runs back to their table and grabs a fork, proceeding to eat hearitly. Daesung can’t blink in disbelief. How is it possible that Bom can eat 3 slices, thick slices, of ice cream cake. Bom digs into them like there’s no tomorrow and after a few minutes, all three slices are gone.

“Woah. What was that?”

“That my friend was happiness!” Bom gloats. “I didn’t eat breakfast. I feel like eating more.”

“Bom!” Daesung tries to stop her. “I’ve no money anymore.” Bom stops in her tracks.

“But I’m still hungry.”

“I thought you were on a diet?!”

“I am.”

“But why are you eating uncontrollably?”

“I don’t know. Just for today. Now give me some food!” Daesung warily gives Bom his rice Tupperware and watches as she chows down with gusto.

“You can put it in here once you’re done.” he hands her the lunch box and watches her eat. As soon as Bom finishes the rice, she keeps his lunch things and hands it back to him. Bom has had a lot of carbohydrates and sweets today. She takes the flowers and the jewelry box in her hand and proudly walks back to class.

While the teacher is discussing her lesson on octaves and singing styles, Bom is busy doodling in her notebook. She occasionally looks at the teacher to make it look as if she’s paying attention though her focus is on something else.

Or maybe someone else.

Three seats ahead of her is Max Changmin. Max listens carefully to the teacher while chewing gum, as Bom can see his mouth moving in a motion like that of chewing. He blows a bubble and when it pops, nobody cares. He’s just as cool as a cucumber. Max turns his head and looks behind him to take a peek at Bom. He spares a glance at her and Bom looks back down at her notebook and goes on with the doodling. Max never takes his eyes off her and smirks. Bom looks up and once their eyes meet, it’s shyness all the way. Bom’s pale skin turns light red and she looks down once. Max smirks at her, never taking his gaze off her.

He’s really interested. First the name, then the piano incident, then the flowers, and now the gaze. Finally! I may have my very first boyfriend! Bom thinks to herself. But then her thoughts start to drift to her weight. Bom looks down and sees how fat her thighs are and her stomach bulges. She sighs a deep sigh and out of nowhere stands up to ask for permission to go to the bathroom. The teacher allows her and Bom walks calmly out of the classroom.

Once in the bathroom, Bom looks into the mirror and squeezes her chubby parts, like she’d do every night. She cringes in disgust and tears fill her eyes. Bom starts to wonder what she has to do in order to lose weight. A rather disturbing thought crosses her mind as she looks behind her and sees the cubicle. Bom runs to it, locks herself inside and inserts a finger deep into , toying with a bit and as soon as she feels it, Bom vomits all the cake and rice that she ate for lunch into the toilet bowl. She continues to purge and once she has vomited all there is to vomit, she collapses on the floor and breathes heavily. She flushes the vomit down the toilet bowl and exits the cubicle. Bom looks into the mirror once more and sees herself all pale and sickly. She washes her face and dries it off with some tissue paper before heading back to class.

Bom passes at the back, comes unnoticed and sits down on her chair. In an instant, she passes out and falls asleep, her head hitting the table hard. The thump is so loud that Daesung turns to her direction to check on her. She’s not harmed, she’s just sleeping. Daesung smiles and focuses on the lesson. Good thing they’re seated somewhere at the back and at the far right, the most unnoticed part of the classroom. That way, Bom can sleep without being interrupted by the teacher.

Class has ended and Bom is still asleep. She later feels a cold, clammy hand on her shoulder. This wakes her up and with her head up, she looks around and sees Changmin.

“You practicing?”

“I’m practicing at home. I don’t feel well.”

“I see. Would you like me to walk you home?” Daesung is just about to ask the same thing. Changmin’s ahead of him by a split second. Daesung frowns and turns around.

“I’d love that. I could use some company. Parents are out for 3 weeks. Wanna help me practice?”
“Of course.” Changmin lends his hand and Bom takes it. This makes Daesung jealous as he feels that his friend is replacing him with a “boyfriend”. Bom and Changmin walk out of the classroom hand in hand, much to the oblivion of the other students.

[AT BOM’S HOUSE]

“Wow! Neat place you got here!” Changmin marvels at their beautiful abode. Bom blushes and grins up to her earlobes.

“Thanks.” Bom leads him to the piano room upstairs. In the piano room is Bom’s grand piano which she’s had since she was 8 years old. Changmin sees the shiny black piano that looks ever so new.

“This is beautiful. You play often?”

“Sure do.” Bom smiles. “Say would you like some coffee or hot chocolate?”

“No thanks. Oh wait, some hot chocolate would do.” Bom smiles and eagerly goes down to make him some hot chocolate. Changmin raises and eyebrow and smirks. He roams around the second floor and sees that Bom’s room is just next to the music room. He enters it and sees all her things. A wide smile is seen on his face as he rummages through her closet. When he hears Bom coming up, he dashes back to the music room.

“Here you go.” she says as she hands him his cup. She places hers on the piano and walks over to the bench. Bom begins to play her part. Changmin just stares at her and imagines what Bom is like in bed.

“Say are your parents coming home?” that questions gives Bom a strange rush. It feels wrong but right.

“No. They’re gone for 3 weeks.”

“Is that so?” Changmin leans closer. Bom can feel her heart beating really fast. Temptation is taking the best of her right now. Some part of her just wants to grab his face and kiss him.

“Y-Yeah.” Changmin stands up straight and smartens his sweater.

“Good. We can have a mini party! Just bring snacks!” Bom feels relieved and disappointed at the same time.

“Oh. Okay. Would you like me to get some food?”

“Sure.” Bom goes down and Changmin smirks as he watches her.


III.

Nichkhun is still somehow trying to adjust to his new group. He’s made some improvement, though. Nichkhun has learned how to be rude, how to be a badass, how to do drugs, how to drink heavily, how to handle guns, and how to put stinkbombs in people’s lockers.

“When are those stinkbombs gonna explode?” asks Nichkhun.

“Eh, don’t worry about that, Nick!” Chansung says. “We’ll take care of those bombs. All we wanted was for you to put them in those lockers.”

“We’re gonna teach you something new today.” Jo Kwon says. Unlike before, each time Jo Kwon would say that he would teach something new Nichkhun would tremble, Nichkhun is more confident and is in fact excited. “Today, we gonna shoot! But we’re not gonna shoot here in school. Oh no we’re not. We’re gonna go someplace else and we’re gonna shoot it up like we’re bandits.” The guys roar and cheer. Nichkhun fakes his enthusiasm because the good boy in him is telling him that handling weapons at his age is a bad thing to do. They could kill someone!


“As you know, we have an entire box of ammunition here. A load of good stuff that my dad failed to safely keep. Now that it’s in our hands, if something bad happens to us, it’s my dad’s fault. Not ours. He goes to jail, not us. We’re free, he’s not. So basically, we’re just gonna shoot some beer bottles over at the park.” Chansung explains.

“Oh!” Nichkhun suddenly remembers his date with Victoria. Not wanting to leave the young lady hanging, he suddenly excuses himself. “I don’t think I can come.” The other boys remove the smiles from their faces and replace them with pokerfaces or frowns.

“Why not?” asks Jay Park.

“I have to meet a friend.” Nichkhun says.

“You have to meet a friend. A friend?” Chansung asks with a hint of suspicion in his voice.

“Yeah.” he replies. He still has the guts to excuse himself, huh! Chansung rubs his chin and shrugs.

“Alright. One absence won’t do you no harm. But next time, no more excuses. This is your first and last chance. Okay? Now go!”

“Thank you!” Nichkhun bows before them and dashes out of the frat house. The others sneer and laugh at him.

[AT THE CAFETERIA]

Victoria and I patiently wait for Nichkhun to come. Victoria starts to nervously wring her fingers, anticipating Nichkhun.

“What’s taking him so long?” she asks.

“He’ll be here in-” I see Nichkhun dashing towards us. He looks tired but handsome nonetheless. He sits across Victoria and apologizes for making her wait.

“Sorry Victoria. Just talked with some friends. You know, about the acting thing.”

“It’s okay.” Victoria blushes.

“So, what are you having?”

“I’ll just get the beef ribs and rice.”

“I’ll have the same thing.” Nichkhun falls in line to order his and her food. Victoria and I look at each other, wondering what has gotten into Nichkhun and he looks rather…different.

“Not that he became ugly but he looks, I don’t know, different today.” I tell her.

“It doesn’t matter. Nichkhun’s handsome no matter what.” Victoria sighs dreamily.

“I think he’s up to something.” Victoria’s face suddenly turns serious.

“Say what?”

“I think he’s up to something. I don’t know. His actions seem kinda…off.” I say with suspicion. Because I know something.

“Put your mind at rest. Nothing’s wrong with Nichkhun.” Nichkhun comes back with a tray where is and Victoria’s dishes are. He sets them down and puts Victoria’s plate in front of her. He sits down with us and eats, looking at Victoria from time to time.

“So, what do you do?” he asks.

“I’m a writer. I used to dance but I lost interest. You’re an actor, right?”

“Actor it is.” Nichkhun grins. For some reason he still hasn’t forgotten his good boy roots. “Say, we’re gonna perform at the Aristocrat’s Ball. Do you want to come watch? I’ll give you a free invite.”

“I would love to!” Victoria squeals. I look at them and concentrate on my food, feeling very much out of place. Well, at least I’m with people. This beats being alone or with Ji Yeon by a mile.

“It’s a month from now so you still have time to make your mind up.”

“Have you started rehearsing?” asks Victoria, suddenly interested in Nichkhun’s acting.

“We have. But we still need more practice. We’ve got a long way to go before we reach perfection.”

“That’s great! I can’t wait to see your play. Others have been saying that you’re a good actor. I want to see it for myself.” Knowing that my presence is not really needed in this lunch date, I stand up and bid them goodbye.

“I’ll give you two your alone time, okay. I still have to do something. Victoria, don’t forget our project. Have fun!” I walk away from them, not that they mind. I just hope that Victoria knows why I set her up on a date.

While the two are talking, Chansung and Jo Kwon enter the cafeteria and spot Nichkhun with Victoria. They decide to take him by surprise but in reality, they have other plans for him.

“Hey!” Chansugn taps Nichkhun on the shoulder. Nichkhun spins around and sees them.

“Chansung! Jo Kwon! Come sit with us.” Chansung and Jo Kwon sit beside Victoria. Victoria sees them and starts to feel a little bit intimidated.

“This is my friend Victoria. Victoria, that’s Chansung and that’s Jo Kwon.”

“Hi.” Victoria meekly greets them. The two just nod their heads upward.
“Nichkhun, can we have a moment with you?” asks Chansung.

“Sure. Wait here, Victoria.” Nichkhun stands up and leaves with Chansung and Jo Kwon. They leave the cafeteria and stay right outside the door.

“So this is why you can’t come to the shooting? That lady over there?”

“Come on, Chansung. I could use a break every once in a while. “ Truth is, Chansung and Jo Kwon are starting to feel jealous because Nichkhun not only got the lead role but he got Victoria, too. How is it that Nichkhun can get the girls while they can’t? It’s always about Nichkhun.

“If this is what your break is about, then I suggest you spend your break wisely and shoot with us. C’mon, we’re your friends right?” Jo Kwon says. Nichkhun feels pressured. He likes Victoria and would like to get to know her better but he doesn’t want to let his friends down. Nichkhun takes a deep breath and goes back into the cafeteria. He sees Victoria sitting all by herself and it pains him in the chest to send her away. But for the sake of friendship and out of fear, he gathers the courage to walk up to her and tell her.

“Uhm. Hey Victoria…” he sits next to her. Victoria tucks her hair behind her ear and smiles blissfully. She just can’t believe that she’s sitting right next to her crush. “How’s that steak going for you?”

“It’s good. Thanks a lot.”

“Listen, I’d love to sit around and chat and get to know you better but me and my friends have got some business to do. So would it be alright if we get together some other time?” Nichkhun notices the disappointed look that takes over Victoria’s face and starts to feel confused. Nothing hurts more than your crush leaving you on the spot, embarrassing you. Victoria simply nods and finishes her meal. Nichkhun runs out of the cafeteria and goes with his friends.

IV.

Ji Yeon hasn’t heard from Onew in a while. No guy has been approaching her. No guy has been bothering her. All is peaceful for Ji Yeon.

Until she runs into Onew in the hallway. Onew sees her and smiles, only to get a smile back from Ji Yeon.

“Hey. I’ve not seen you in a while.” Ji Yeon says. “How’s your radio station going?”

“Oh. That? It’s going great. I’ve not spoken in-”

“I know. Why is that?”

“I don’t really know if this is the thing for me…”

“Do it.” Ji Yeon encourages him with a smile. “Do it I say.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah.” Onew asks, his face lighting up.

“Sure. Just choose your topics wisely. The reason why you’ve been under so much fire from the students is because the topics you talk about are very…well…”

“?”

“That’s the word.” Ji Yeon says. Onew and Ji Yeon spot the bench next to the drinking fountain.

“Do you think I’ve forgotten?” asks Ji Yeon, staring at Onew’s restless fingers.

“Forgotten what?”

“What I told you days ago.” Ji Yeon says calmly. “About me becoming your girlfriend.” Onew still remembers, he’s just too shy to bring it up now. He feels that he’s bothered Ji Yeon and embarrassed her too much.

“Yeah. I remember that. Actually, that’s the very reason why I stopped broadcasting.”

“Why did you stop because of me?” Ji Yeon cries. “You shouldn’t give up on your dreams just because one person looks down on you. Or just because many people think you’re a failure.”

“But you hate me because of it!” Onew stands up. “You don’t like the way I report and if winning your heart means giving up my dreams, well I’d give them up anytime!”

“You’re pathetic!” Ji Yeon stands up from his side. “Sure I said your segment was very disturbing but that doesn’t mean you’re not a good DJ! If there’s one thing I hate more than -addicted teenage boys, it’s boys who give up on their dreams.” Ji Yeon walks away from him. If only Onew could pull her into his arms, he would but Ji Yeon has made him realize something.
Onew loved talking ever sicne he was a kid. Even when he was active in the writing department, he’d talk a lot in front and would opt for the reporting than the writing. And I may hate this guy to bits but there’s no denying the talent he has in speaking. His voice is clear and he can deliver his message in an organized manner, even if it’s impromptu. Onew is a good speaker and he really deserves to have his own radio show. The thing is, the things he talks about aren’t really appropriate for our location.

And Onew realizes that he can’t just give up on something that he’s really good at. If this is the only thing that he can do, even if he fails at everything, he doesn’t mind doing it all his life. With a determined spirit, Onew changes his thoughts and decides to go after his one true love…

Public speaking.

Onew stands up and tries to do some research in the Computer Room. He looks some good topics up and decides on what to report.

Something that’s relevant to the students’ interests. I know is relevant but something that won’t expose their secret es…

Onew continues to scan websites, copy and paste some text, cite sources, save pictures, gather information. He reviews them afterwards and finds that none of his researches fit the students’ interests. Onew stands up and exits the computer lab, goes to the cafeteria and buys himself a cup of cappucino. Lunchtime has ended and there is no one in the cafeteria. Onew sits own and tries to think of something to report about. His eyes wander and what he fails to notice is a young lady in a pink dress eating like a pig in the corner.

Woah. I’ve never seen anyone eat like that before. Onew thinks to himself. The girl chomps through her grilled cheese sandwich while digging into her carrot cake. Onew cringes at the sight of this and suddenly, the light bulb in his head switches on.

Looks like there’s something wrong with this girl. I have to talk to her. Onew stands up and approaches the young lady.

“Excuse me,” he taps her shoulder. The young lady turns around and looks at him with a mouthful of cake and grilled cheese. That young lady is none other than Park Bom Lee.

“Yes?” she says with a muffled sound brought about by her stuffed mouth. “What do you want?”

“Hi. I just got here and I happened to have noticed you and I’d like to ask you a few questions.”
“About what?” Bom takes another huge piece of carrot cake into . Onew tries to smile though obviously disgusted.

“About your eating habits. You see, I’m a DJ and I’d like to be of good help to my fellow students. I’d like to inform them and enlighten them on the problems that we teenagers go through.”

“Oh? So you’re saying that my eating is bad?” asks Bom.

“No. Not at all. What I want to find out is what makes you eat like this because dear, it’s only been an hour since lunchtime and you’re eating like this.” Bom looks at herself and stands up to go to the ladies room.

“I’ll be right back. Wait right here.” she says. Bom runs to the ladies’ room and you know what she’s doing there. Yep, throwing up everything she just ate. Bom comes back and sees Onew patiently waiting for her, occasionally taking a sip of his cappucino.

“Okay, so-”

“I eat a lot because I’m depressed.”

“Depressed?” Onew arches an eyebrow. “Why are you depressed?”

“I have issues with my weight. I decided to do this when this one guy I like talked to me. I felt a strange connection and a real urge to lose weight and I knew I wouldn’t get his attention if I was fat. So I began purging. I do it everyday after eating. Sometimes, even if I’ve not eaten for a particular day, I still purge.” Bom confesses.

“You have insecurities?” Onew asks.

“A lot.”

“Like what? Besides your weight?”

Bom and Onew continue to talk. Ji Yeon just happens to pass by the cafeteria and sees the two talking. A slight frown appears on her face, the look of jealousy. Admit it or not, I know Ji Yeon likes Onew. But then, a small smile appears on her face, happy because Onew has finally realized his dream.

“Go get ’em, boy!” Ji Yeon whispers to herself, cheering Onew on. “I know you can do it!”

 


Onew finishes his interview with Bom and shakes her hand afterwards. He gives her a few encouraging words that after hearing them, Ji Yeon can’t help but fall deeper in love with Onew.

“Bom, don’t ever change yourself for anyone. Remember, you are beautiful the way you are.” Onew smiles. Bom looks at him and smiles weakly.

Just then, Changmin passes by the cafeteria and sees Onew and Bom together. His eyes suddenly turn red and smoke starts to come out of his nose.

“Stay away from my girl, you bastard.” he grits. He his head to the side and smirks.

So this is the annoying douchebag that’s been blowing the speakers? Well, I’ve hated you ever since I heard your voice and now that you’re talking to my Park Bom, I hate you even more.


V.

Yubin walks down the hallway quietly. Her steps are heavy though the small girl walks very lightly. All the energy in her has been drained. Seeing Yunho and Gyuri get all cozy in front of her was enough to make her blood boil. Yubin is one tough girl, though. Most girls who see their ex-boyfriends or boyfriends for that matter get cozy with a new girl cry their hearts out but Yubin handled it…well, differently. She let all her anger out in the bathroom, screaming and banging the cubicle door, scaring whoever came in. Now, Yubin is in a very aggressive mood and people better stay away from her if they don’t want to be humiliated.

TOP, who is busy talking to GD, sees Yubin walking alone and tries to pull her in for a conversation.

“Hey!” Yubin recognizes the deep voice that sounds a bit like hers. She slowly looks his way and gives him a stoic stare. Her signature look.

“What do you want?” Yubin crosses her arms on her chest and furrows her brows, a sign of annoyance.

“What’s going on with you? Are you disturbed or something?” TOP asks sarcastically. Yubin snaps at him and nearly yells but prefers to keep it down low.

“Listen to me, if you’re asking what’s wrong just to mock me and tell the world that I’m insane, then you better get out of my sight before I do something that’ll make the school mock you.”

“Woah. We’re just concerned because you’re our protégé and we don’t want no problems, alright? We have to make sure that you’re in tip top shape in time for the rap competition.” GD says.

“Well I’m fine. I’m still in one piece and I still know my name. Now can you just please leave me alone!” Yubin walks away from them and flips her bangs. GD walks after her and grabs her arm. Annoyed, Yubin yanks it away and pushes him.

“Why won’t you two stop following me? Did I do something wrong or something?” Yubin angrily asks.

“We know what’s wrong with you.” TOP smirks. “It’s that dancer boy and his new girlfriend, isn’t it?” Yubin hears the word ‘new girlfriend’ and punches TOP’s shoulder, walks away from him.

“GUILTY AS CHARGED!” sneers G-Dragon. Yubin raises her middle finger at him without looking back.

“ it, dickheads.” Yubin whispers to herself and makes her way to the basketball court to practice her rap.

The basketball court is empty but she did not expect this as the basketball is usually full of people, if not players, dancers. But this time, it’s empty and the atmosphere is perfect for concentrating. Yubin takes out her notebook and a pen and begins to write her rap down while trying to come up with a beat in her head. For added inspiration, she puts her earphones on and listens to some rap music to get more ideas.

Nan ni gomaki seungyeoreul ppaetji…

The basketball court door starts to slowly open. Yubin cannot hear this as her earphones are deep into her ears, making her hear nothing but the music. But when she hears another song playing, she takes the earphones off and puts her things down.

“What the hell?” she says without looking up. As soon as she looks in front of her, she sees Yuri practicing all by herself. Yuri doesn’t notice her and continues to do her thing. Yubin watches her, waiting for Yuri to look her way and when she does, Yuri jumps out of her skin in surprise.

“Oh I’m sorry. Did I disturb you?” Yuri apologizes. Yubin gets up and gathers her things to leave the basketball court and let Yuri have some space.

“No. Not at all, I was just about to leave actually.” Yubin is actually very much disturbed. Yuri jogs to her and tells her to stay.

“I’m really sorry. If you want I can lower the volume so you can concentrate. You don’t have to go.”

“Why are you making me stay anyways?”

Yuri shruggs and runs a hand through her hair. “Just. Just because…and uh…you came first so you have the right to stay. Besides, this isn’t my court. It’s ours.” Yubin looks at her and smirks, which Yuri returns with a smile.

“Cliché bull.” Yubin replies annoyed. Yuri is taken aback by her blunt and rude nature but still tries to remain friendly with her.

“I’m sorry but-”

“Forget it. Fine! I’m staying.” Yubin goes back to the bleachers and sits where she was seated earlier. Yuri shakes her head and sighs. Yubin puts her earphones back on and blasts loud music into her ears. Yuri goes back to practicing but glances at Yubin from time to time. Yubin doesn’t notice this and Yuri continues until their eyes meet. Yubin pauses the track on her iPod but doesn’t take the earphones off, waiting for Yuri to say something. Yuri on the other hand just stares at Yubin and smiles at her, hoping to make her smile as well. Unfortunately, she fails at trying to make the young rapper girl beam. Instead, Yuri walks up to her and sits next to her, hoping to get to know her better.

“Hi. My name’s-” Yuri realizes that Yubin still has the earphones on and most probably cannot hear her so she just stops talking. Yubin takes one earphone off and puts it in Yuri’s ear.

“Not playing. Go ahead.” she says. Yuri blinks her eyes rapidly and lightly chuckles at how clever that was.

“I’m Kwon Yuri. We’ve run into each other before.”

“Yeah I know.” Yubin quickly replies. “You even knocked my head out with your locker door, am I right?”

“Yeah.” Yuri giggles. “Sorry for that.”

“No biggie. Didn’t hurt anyways. So what are you and why are you here?”


“I’m a dancer.” Yubin’s face suddenly turns pale. Dancer. So she must be in the same department as Yunho. “I’m rehearsing for this competition that our school’s dance team is joining but the leader kicked me out of the group so now I have to go and form my own group which I will enter in the competition. Taeyang’s with me now.” Yuri sighs at how much she’s said. “What about you? What are you?”

“I’m a rapper.”

“Woah! You’re a rapper?!” Yuri says with shock. “But girls don’t-” Yubin hears this and feels offended. She hates it when people act all surprised after she tells them that she’s in the Rap Department.

“What’s it with you people that you are so shocked when I tell you that I’m a rapper? Why? Is it your first time to hear or see a female rapper?” Yubin angrily asks Yuri and stands up. She isn’t angry at Yuri, rather, she’s just taking out her frustration with Yunho, GD and TOP on her because she is talking to her as of the moment. “Why? When you see an Asian pilot do you go ‘Oh my God! You’re an Asian pilot?!’ !” Yubin walks away from Yuri and leaves the basketball court. Yuri tries to follow her but doesn’t make it in time for her disappearance. Once again, a look of disappointment paints itself on Yuri’s face.

VI.

I am in the library all by myself writing the novel when Ji Yeon comes to me looking very happy and pink. Yes, blushing rose pink.

“Woah! Why so eager? What happened to you?” I ask her happily.

“Onew! He’s changed! He’s changed I tell you!”

“Oh yeah!” I suddenly remember that Onew has been inactive. “What’s up with Onew? I’ve not heard from that Radio GaGa in a while.”

“He just interviewed Park Bom!” Ji Yeon says excitedly.

“Bom? The new singer?” I ask.

“Yeah. He was so nice to her and he acted so maturely. He didn’t ask stupid questions and he was in it for the better. For the improvement of his radio show!”

Not convinced, I say, “Woah, so now you’re telling me that JinKi has turned a new leaf? I don’t believe it! He’s always been a jerk and a !”


“Well suit yourself! Wait til you hear his new broadcast! He’ll be coming to you live around next week!” Ji Yeon says in defense. I grin at her and start to .

“You’re just saying that because you like Onew.”

“No I’m not.” Ji Yeon turns a brighter shade of pink and looks away from me, obviously smiling and blushing.

“Sure you are! Want me to hand you a mirror so you could see how pink you are and how wide your grin is!?”

“Dammit! Stop!” Ji Yeon says, sticking her tongue out. In GD’s words, I say

“Guilty as Charged. Now help me out with this.” I show her the draft of my story and tell her what to draw and how the story flows. Ji Yeon nods and starts drawing. She shows me some of the things that she has drawn. Everything in beautiful and perfect detail.

“Looks like a graphic novel to me already.” I say with glee. Ji Yeon laughs and continues to sketch. I look over the cases we’ve compiled and try to come up with a good dialogue to give the story body.