Chapter One

The Art of Life II: Fly High!


I.

The familiar sight of the corridor. The familiar smell of the airconditioning unit. The familiar sight of lockers and classrooms. Everything is exactly the way it was last school year. Yet another school year has passed and another one has come. Students fill the corridors, lean on their lockers, hurry to their classes. Not much has changed, really. The people are just about the same. Achievers are still achievers. s are still s. Everything’s the way it’s supposed to be.

Seoul Performing Arts School. She came here just last year and has already made a name for herself. She is already an established student who is known for her mad skills in dancing and her unebelievable determination as well as her leadership potential. This is none other than Kwon Yuri. Yes, that Kwon Yuri. After all she’s been through, Yuri has managed to come out on top and she is shining brighter than ever. Yuri’s name was all over the place last year and this year, with the moving of her ex-rival Park Gahee to a different school and with the position of female Dance Captain up for grabs, is without a doubt the Year of the Black Pearl, as she is known to her schoolmates and friends.

Yuri walks down the hall with all the confidence in the world. This is a new school year, she thinks, and new school year means a new chance for me to prove to the others what this girl is made of. She sees a banner hanging from the ceiling that reads:

“DANCE CAPTAINS AUDITIONS: BOYS/GIRLS WHO ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE HEAD TO THE BASKETBALL COURT”

Yuri smiles with hope and gets all excited. She worked on her dance all summer and right now, now that she has a chance to show her hard work off to others, she just can’t wait. But before heading to the basketball court, Yuri decides to polish her dance steps in the dance studio where most of the dancers are. Her old friends Nicole, Min, and HyoYeon run to her and hug her.

“Oh my Gosh! We missed you so much!” the girls squeal together. Yuri pulls away and tells her friends about her plans.

“I was busy all summer!” Yuri tells them.

“What did you do?”


“I came up with some dance steps for this year. And when I saw the banner about the Dance Captain auditions, I knew I had to sign up! I have loads of great ideas for this year!”

“You should totally try out!” HyoYeon encourages her friend. “You were born to lead and dance.”

“Yeah. Plus, we think you’d make a totally good Dance Captain. Even better than that tyrant Gahee!” Min says. “Give it a shot! Who knows, right?”

“We could use some of your ideas! This place needs some freshening up!” Nicole says gleefully. Yuri feels supported and agrees with them.

“I’m trying out alright! I’m so trying out! I knew something like this would happen and now that it’s here, I’m not just gonna stand here and stare at the banner! I’m gonna audition for that part!” the girls cheer altogether and Yuri shares with them the dance steps she came up with in the summer.

What Yuri doesn’t know is that another girl is eyeing the Dance Captain throne. That girl is none other than Gahee’s ex-best friend Choi Soo Young.


II.

New school year means new students. Trust me, there are hundreds of them walking in the hallway right now. I’ve been here for some time so I know if a student is new or not and in this case, most of them are. One in particular catches my eye. Her pleasant and innocent pretty face is stuck in my head. I’ve seen so many pretty girls but definitely not one as pretty as that.

The pretty girl enters the Music room, suggesting that she is a voice student (most likely), an instrumentalist (also likely), or a rap student (not many girls get in that department. matter of fact, there are NO girls in that department). She is a, you’ve guessed it, a voice student. I can tell the girl has a pretty voice and I’m sure that she’s a soprano. I know it’s wrong to judge a book by its cover but sometimes, hunches can be correct.

That girl is Park Bom Lee. She has a sweet, demure face, a slightly chunky built but not really fat. Bom’s body is fit and perfect, just right for her average height. Her long hair flows all the way to her back. These attributes make her look like a goddess and they certainly can put Nana (if you remember who Nana is) to shame. I would like to her what her voice sounds like, though.

“Oh it seems as if we have a new student this school year!” the teacher says, eyeing Park Bom. Bom must be one really shy girl as she avoids the teacher’s eyes and smiles to herself. “Young lady, please come to the front and introduce yourself.” Bom shyly stands up and walks to the platform. Her face pales (pales, not flushes) as she looks at her classmates.

“Hello.” she says meekly. “My name is Park Bom Lee.” the guys eye her like they want to get in her skirt while the girls just twirl their fingers in their hair, pretending to chew gum.

“Ah. Yes, very nice meeting you. So would you care to demonstrate your vocal talent, Ms. Park?” Bom looks at the teacher with doe eyes and takes a deep breath. She knows she has to show them what she’s made of in order to survive this class. Without warning, Bom belts out a ballad.

Love will lead you back
Someday I just know it
Love will lead you back to my arms
Where you belong oh sure
Sure as stars are shining
One day you will find me again
It won’t be long
One of these days our love will lead you back

Bom hit the high notes, much to the surprise of her classmates. They didn’t expect her to be able to sing a song with such power. Their jaws drop and they remain in a daze as Bom walks quietly back to her seat. Even the teacher is in awe of Bom’s hidden talent.

“I don’t mean to be rude but I was expecting something less than that. No offense, though. But you did good, Bom. Welcome to the class!” the other students applaud her loudly. Despite of this, Bom doesn’t feel welcome.

III.

Remember Choi Minho? The jackass acting student? He has been kicked out of the school because of disruptive behavior, entering the school under the influence of drugs and alcohol, and possession of deadly weapons. Seoul Performing Arts School is without a “Mr. Popular”. But nothing could prepare them for the surprise that is yet to come.
He’s a Thai boy from the U.S. who has come to hone his talent in acting. He’s far more handsome than Minho. The young man speaks English very well (even better than me) and sure knows how to act. Well, that’s what they say because this young man is reported to have been to several performing arts schools prior to this one here in Korea.
This young man is none other than Nichkhun Horvejkul. Sure his name is hard to pronounce and you’re bound to forget it the first time you hear it but when you see his acting skills and when you get to witness the intensity he brings to each scene with his remarkable talent, he’ll be stuck in your head til you’re six feet deep.

“Hello!” greets the confident lad. With years of acting experience under his belt and another 4 years of honing in this school (hopefully!), there’s no doubt that Nichkhun oozes with confidence no matter where he goes and no matter who he meets. He finds a seat and sits there, right next to a group of equally talented girls and boys. The teacher walks in and notices Nichkhun.

“I see we have a new student over there. Young man, care to come forward and introduce yourself?” the teacher invites Nichkhun to the platform. Nichkhun gleefully gets up and walks to the platform, stands there and confidently faces the class. The girls dreamily look at him and the boys seem interested in making him their friend.

“Hey everyone! I’m Nichkhun Horvejkul. You can call me Nick or Khun, whichever you prefer. I’m from the U.S. but I’m Thai-Chinese. I’ve been studying acting since I was 7 years old and now that I’m a young man, I still love to act. I hope to become an actor someday not for the fame and fortune, although that’s a plus, but because of the love for the work.” Nichkhun says honestly. Everyone applauds his introduction and in an instant, Nichkhun is a celebrity. A bigger celebrity than Minho ever was. Girls have found their first day crush.

“How’s about you demonstrate some of your knowledge right here in front?” Nichkhun smiles and gets up, walks to the platform and shows them what he’s got. He acts out a scene from what appears to be a drama play. The way his eyes blink, the frail and scared movements of his body, the shaking of his arms and his voice and of course, the tears that come with the act and the heavy line delivery shake the entire class, including the teacher.

“That was beautiful! Bravo! Welcome to the class, Nichkhun!” the teacher applauds him once more and students give him high fives. Looks like the acting department has replaced Minho.

IV.

Honestly, it’s ticking me off! It’s been ticking me off since the third semester last school year. There’s this one writing student who’s been aching for some independence. Screw independence! All he wants is a little bit of attention! He has always been under me, always falling short of me when it comes to writing. So he decided that it’s time to shine.

And shine is what this douchebag will get!
Lee Jin Ki! Also known as Onew. The most talkative son of a in the Writing Department. If you think that writers are reserved, introverted, and quiet, wait til you meet this ! There’s not a single rumor that he hasn’t heard about and told and there’s not a single person he hasn’t interviewed. Onew is a walking mouth, basically and I just wish he knew how much it irks me. Seeing him is annoying enough, let alone hearing him speak.

And I especially hate it when he coolly asserts himself to get attention from the girls. Oh he’s getting attention alright. Attention for being an !

So Lee Jin Ki fought for his right and got what he wanted. So, like the Voice Department that has several sub-departments, the Writing Department now has two departments, the writing writing (which is where I belong to) and the broadcast department (member/s: 1) where Onew belongs to. Now, there’s a radio station right next to our classroom where Onew blabs about he’s interested in. And he plays music, too.

“Gooood Morning everyone this is your DJ On to the new, only for you on Seoul P.A.S. radio. You are listening to the one and only radio station here at school where I play nothing but the good stuff.” is his usual introduction. I hear it blasting from the speakers and seriously, I am ticked off.

“And right now we’re playing “One” by Epik High! This goes out to my broken hearted pal, namely Lee Ji Eun. Ji, if you’re out there…” he blabs on about Ji Eun’s love life. Ji Eun hears this and frustratedly walks away from her group of friends. I look at her and continue walking, eventually passing by Onew’s DJ booth. He sees me through the glass and I see him, too. He smiles and waves at me and I reciprocate by smiling, then letting him see the smile fade. I’m not really one to bluntly express my anger through actions, I’d rather deal with things with a smile on my face. Onew thinks that I’m pleased with the new “outlet” of his. He is sorely mistaken.

“ing don’t know how to shut his mouth!” I curse under my breath. I continue to walk and hear Onew’s voice all over the place, in all its mothering flamboyance!

“And you’re listening to the one…”

Shut the hell up, , says my brain.

V.

The Rap Department. The toughest and roughest sector in the Voice Department. You hear cussing, beatboxing, freestyling and all things hip hop. The guys in this sector are tough, a bit rude, and very loud. They go around in their jackets and baggy jeans with a sheet of paper in their hands, trying to memorize the rap that they have just written.

Let me introduce to you to the members of this group. The leader of this group is Choi Seung hyun whom I had a huge crush on last year and his right hand man is Kwon Ji Young. They prefer to be addressed by their “gangsta names” which are G-Dragon (Kwon Ji Young) and T.O.P. (Choi Seung hyun). What their names mean, I don’t know but one thing’s for sure, they are some pretty tough and swaggerish names. I’m sure you know Key from last year. There’s Tablo, Mithra Jin, Jaebom, and the other guys. They’re all experts in the field of rapping.

Now, let me ask you a question. What do the other departments have that this particular sub-department doesn’t? Answer: female students. Ever since the formation of the Rap Department, men have been dominating it. Several girls have tried out and all have been rejected by the leaders. It seems as though this particular branch has no room for women because according to the leaders, “girls can’t rap the way pimps can.”

And this has yet to be tested…

Ppeokigayo ppeokiga aju ppeokigayo
Ppeo…ppeo
Aju ppeokigayo aju ppeoppeoppeoppeo
Ppeokigayo
Dulman bomyeon nado mollae ppoekigayo
Ani sonigayo urigayo? neon ppeokigayo

It’s just another day at the Rap Department. The guys are writing and practicing their raps. G-Dragon and TOP are working on some new material while the turntablists spin some records to match the rap. They have not yet completed their song.

The door suddenly opens. In comes a girl. Yes, a girl. Standing at around 5’2” to 5’3”, long black hair with side bangs covering her left eye. She has on a yellow Dickies hoodie with a cap on underneath the hood, Daisy Dukes, and black Chucks. Her stare is stoic, just like T.O.P.’s. The kind of stare that would intimidate you first time your eyes meet. She walks in, looks around and finds her seat, watching the boys rap. She listens to the beat the turntablist plays and tries to come up with a good flow. The boys stare at her and talk about her.


This is double double double double combo
Double double double combo
This ain’t bubble bubble bubble bubble gum
Neoneun jilgeongjilgeong duri binggeulbinggeul

“What the hell is she doing here?”

“Who the is she?”

The girl can hear them but chooses to ignore them. They are not what she’s here for. She finishes her flow in time for TOP to notice her. He tells the turntablist to stop as he and G-Dragon approach the girl. She feels their presence and looks up with fearless, stoic eyes similar to TOP’s.

“You new here, huh? Show us what you got little girl.” TOP challenges

“And prepare to be rejected cause you know girls don’t make it here!” G-Dragon sneers. The young lady feels offended and stands up. She commands, note, commands the turntablist to drop the beat once more.

[song: “Knockout” by GD&TOP]

The girl gives them all she’s got. Her sleek rapping style catches all the guys’ attention. They finally look her way and are slightly trembling in their seats for they have never in their lives heard a female rap student hopeful break it down this quick and crisp. And why ever not? Her flow is very wicked and you can tell that it comes from not just the mouth, not just the throat but from every organ in her body. It’s like she breathes rapping and lives it. The boys are very much impressed and start jiving, making G-Dragon want to dance along. TOP remains serious and unmoved, pretending to be unimpressed by the lady rapper. He even elbows G-Dragon into quitting but GD just can’t get enough of her rap.

After the rap, the guys cheer for her loudly. She shows no expression and raises an eyebrow at GD and TOP who underestimated her at first.

“Wow. You’re here for like, 3 minutes and you’ve already blown us away.” G-Dragon says.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this…”TOP starts “but guys, let us welcome the very first female rap student.”

“You so wicked girl!” says the flamboyant G-Dragon. The girl looks at him and turns her attention back at TOP. She refuses to open after the freestyle and not being as swaggerish and as boastful as the other rappers, she heads back to her seat. TOP and GD eye her and talk about her.

“You did very well.” says Key. Key stands in front of her with a friendly smile on his face. “From the bottom of my heart, I’d say you are one of the best now!”

“Thanks. But I have to fix some things.” replies the young girl, her face still emotionless.

“What’s your name by the way?” Key asks and watches her as she leaves. The young girl turns around and answers him. “You didn’t introduce yourself.”

“Kim Yubin. Pleasure.” she walks away and shuts the door, leaving Key and the rest of the Rap Department starstruck.
 

VI.

I think this needs no fancy introduction. It’s the Dream Team again! Me and Ji Yeon are at it once more. With Hyun Joong gone and with Ji Yeon hurting like hell (still), she decides to drown herself in arts and graphic novel drawing (you know who does the writing) to forget about him but for some reason she just can’t. Guess the first cut is the deepest.

It’s me again, Tiffany Hwang with my sidekick Park Ji Yeon. We’re getting really bored now and since I want to improve my writing skills and because I want to help Ji Yeon forget about Hyun Joong, we decide to work on a project together.

“Say Ji Yeon, I don’t know if you’re game for this but if you are, you know where I am!” I tell her.

“What?” Ji Yeon looks at me sadly while twirling the pen in between her fingers. I look over her shoulder to check what she is drawing. As usual, the ever fragile Ji Yeon is drawing what appears to be a couple or something. I shrug it off and just proceed with my plan.

“You’ve always been into drawing comic-style, right?”

“Yeah.” she sighs.

“And I’ve always been into writing. So what do you say we work on a little something together?” I ask with a Cheshire cat grin on my face.

“Look if this is another one of your diabolical plans to take over the world Revenge of the Underdogs style, it’s not gonna work with me. I’m too tired and weary to go on another adventure. I think that you’ve taken this a bit too far! You’re harboring hate in your system.”

My jaw hangs open. I stop moving for a while and try to come up with the right words to say.

“What in hell’s name are you talking about, Jee?” I say half-laughing. “Take over the world? What kind of bull is that?”

“I don’t know.” she says crossly. I’ve never seen her this annoyed before. “The kind you would start!”

“That’s not what I was gonna say. I meant, let’s just work on something together. I feel like working on a joint project, you know what I’m saying?” Ji Yeon looks at me and sighs deeply, proof that she is very much missing Hyun Joong.

“I don’t know and I don’t care. I don’t want to have anything to do with your plans. Right now, I need some time for myself.”

“Ji Yeon, wake up and smell the coffee! Hyun Joong is dead-” she doesn’t give me a chance to finish my statement. Ji Yeon stands up and walks away. She hates it when I tell her that Hyun Joong is dead. She’s a ghost. Living in the past.

Ji Yeon’s emotional state is really bothering me. Lately she’s been down and always asleep. She flips out at the littlest things and I rarely see a smile on her face. I always see her with her head down on the table, crying. I look out for her and chase her, finding her on the floor curled up like a ball crying once more. I sit next to her and comfort her.

“Ji Yeon you’ve got to stop crying like this! It’s been a year since that incident. You got to learn how to let go.”

“I don’t care! I love Hyun Joong, Tiffany! You’ve never fallen in love that’s why it’s so easy for you to say ‘let go’! I dare you to get a boyfriend and if he should die, try staying strong!” Ji Yeon for the first time yells at me. I shake my head and adjust my glasses.

“Well you can’t stay like this forever!” I tell her. She wipes her tears and stands up. Ji Yeon walks away from me and leaves me on my spot.

Welcome to a brand new school year. New challenges. New people. Same school.