Chapter 3

The Art of Life II: Fly High!


I.

The judges have finished tallying the votes for the Dance Team Captain. They are recounting them and trying to come up with a conclusion and a clear winner before going out and announcing to the entire school who the victor is.

“This is a pretty close fight, don’t you think?” says the first judge. The second and third judges look at the results and agree.

“Yes. Both ladies indeed have potential, but there can only be one.” The second judge argues.

“I don’t know if I’m taking this personally but I’d rather have Yuri lead the Dance Department.”

“I agree. She’s more headstrong without being y.” says the first judge.

“Yuri is actually a lady with a strategy.”

“Soo Young is a bully. So partly personal and partly because of the votes, Yuri is the new Dance Captain.” the judges all agree on the verdict.

A few minutes later, the judges come out to announce the new Dance Captain. They go to the Dance Department and call the students’ attention. They are all dancing and exercising, some are choreographing and practicing a routine. Upon seeing them, they drop everything that they’re doing,crowd around them and impatiently wait for the final announcement. All the hopefuls listen up nervously, praying that their names would be called.

“Attention students of the Dance Department. We have finished counting the votes and now have a new Dance Captain.” the girls squeal and the boys look on with anticipation.

“And the new Dance Captain of the Dance Department is…” the judge gets the envelope and opens it, reads the card and smiles with satisfaction. Soo Young and Yuri look on, their friends praying for their respective friend to win. Min, HyoYeon, and Nicole join hands as they pray for Yuri’s victory while Soo Young and her crew keep it cocky and cool, confident that their friend will win the position.

“KWON YURI!” the judge announces. Yuri and Soo Young’s faces drop. Yuri with shock and disbelief and Soo Young with anger and disbelief. Common denominator: they both cannot believe the results.

“WHAT?!” they say at the same time. Yuri says it with a smile while Soo Young’s angry face gets redder and redder. The other dance students flock to Yuri, who is in the tight embrace of her friends, and congratulate her while Soo Young walks away frustrated with her friends trailing behind her.

“HOW THE IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!” she screams with her hands in balls of fists. She opens and closes them in an effort to ease the tension but she is just so angry. Minzy and Hyunah calm her down.

“Woah. Don’t flip out just yet, Soo Young.” Minzy says.

“What do you mean don’t flip out just yet?!” Soo Young yells at Minzy and Hyunah. “You saw how I danced there and you girls know that I’m supposed to be the winner!”

“I think they’re biased!” Hyunah says.

“Yes. They are biased, you dimwitted ho!” Soo Young really curses out at people when she’s angry, and she chooses no one. Even if you’re her friend, if she’s angry, she’ll take it out on you even if she doesn’t really mean it. “Because Yuri is this really hot new girl who’s like super friendly to every boy! sells!”

sells. Soo Young stops right where she is and thinks this over. A cloud of calmness overcomes her as she stands still on her spot. Minzy and Hyunah look at her weirdly.

“Are you okay?” asks Minzy. Soo Young looks at her and calmly tells her to go on with Hyunah.

“Just go ahead. I still have some business to take care of. I’ll catch up with you later.” Soo Young walks quickly back to the Meeting Room where the judges are. On her way, she runs into Onew, the pesky interviewer/DJ.

“Ms. Soo Young!” he approaches her with a pen and paper in hand. “Can I get your opinion on-”

“Shut the up, you pesky DJ wannabe!” Soo Young says. “I’ve got to settle so if you want to have children one day, I suggest you get lost and leave me alone! Don’t ever mention that girl’s name.” Onew gulps and walks away as quickly as he can from Soo Young. Soo Young is in a really sour mood right now as she just cannot accept the fact that she just lost to Yuri.

“Oh my gosh, Yuri!” Hyoyeon says. “I knew this day would come. I just knew it!”

“You’ve always been cut-out to be a leader and now that you are, we just can’t wait for the new activities that you’ll be implementing.” Min says. Yuri agrees with them as she herself is excited to start. But she is still dumbfounded. She can’t believe she just won. Who would’ve thought that a girl like her who has been here for only a year could receivethe highest position in the Dance Department? Soo Young runs into them and before Yuri and her crew could even walk away, she grabs Yuri’s arm and yanks her to her side.

“Listen to me, . This fight isn’t over. I know something is wrong with that ballot! I just do. I’m supposed to be the Dance Captain, goddammit! People here are biased. Now, if you think that I’m just gonna sit there and watch you take the lead, follow your ing orders, well you are ing mistaken, you ! I am gonna do something about this. I know something is wrong and I know you know it, too. So if I were you, I wouldn’t be celebrating as much.” she pushes Yuri to the lockers and Yuri hits her head hard.

“Ow!” she lets out a short cry. HyoYeon and Min help her while Nicole goes to confront Soo Young. She follows Soo Young and taps her on the shoulder. Soo Young turns around and sees Nicole.

“Hey! You don’t treat Yuri like that, you !” Soo Young slaps Nicole and sends her to the ground. With a girl as big as Soo Young, who wouldn’t fall to the floor? Soo Young continues walking and as soon as she reaches the Meeting Room, she finds one judge there, sipping coffee and reviewing his papers.

“Yes, Ms. Choi? How may I help you?” asks the judge seriously. Soo Young, who is in a tank top and Daisy Dukes, walks flirtily around the table with her finger lining the edges of the table.

“Oh nothing, just wanting to talk to you about the ballot.” she says with a distinct change in her tone. Her voice which was deep and intimidating earlier is now soft and mellow and seducing.

“Okay. What about?” the judge asks, obviously distracted by her long legs and clear complexion.

“I was just wondering if there was some kind of…” Soo Young twirls her hair and her lips. She shruggs and prettily batts her eyelashes. “I don’t know, mistake in the counting of votes? I heard Yuri and I were pretty close and I would just like to clarify. Maybe you counted it wrong? Maybe she’s not really the winner. Maybe I’m supposed to be the Dance Captain?” Soo Young asks. She leans closer and continues to twirl her hair. The judge is obviously and tempted to just pull Soo Young closer and kiss her with passion. Soo Young raises an eyebrow and blinks her eyes. As much as he is very attracted to Soo Young, the vote says that Yuri is the clear winner.

“I am sorry Ms. Choi but we have checked the votes three, four, five times over and there is nothing I can do about it. Yuri is really the winner.”

“Is that so?” Soo Young asks. “Well, then sorry I wasted your time. I best be on my way now.” Soo Young stands up and turns her back, slowly ing her shorts, dropping them carelessly to the ground. The judge sees this and starts to get . Her are low cut, lacy and red. The judge tries to control himself but he is sweating so much and his heart is beating so fast.

“Uhm…Ms. Choi…” he is unable to come up with a coherent statement. Soo Young steps out of her shorts and walks to the door, posing with her legs crossed, emphasizing just how long they are.

“Yes? Have you got something to say?”

“Uh…I will…go…check…” The judge cannot deny it any longer. He wants Soo Young, always has.

“Check? Why not do it?” Soo Young smirks and arches her eyebrow.

“Soo Young, this is not a good time for-” Soo Young pulls him in for a deep kiss. The judge is taken aback and tries to pull away but Soo Young deepens it and he has no choice but to succumb to temptation. He grabs Soo Young’s slim waist and pulls her closer to him, devouring her tongue. He leans against the door and locks it so that no one could come in. The blinds are all rolled down and it’s just him and Ms. Choi. They make love in the Meeting Room. Soo Young raises her leg and the judge grabs it, carrying her to the table, laying her down and carrying on with the lovemaking session. They try so hard not to make noise but Soo Young just can’t help it. Neither can the judge who has had a crush on Soo Young for such a long time.

What they forgot is the key hole on the door that functions as a spying window. Other students are too careless to notice that but Ji Yeon and I are the more observant ones. We kneel and peer through the keyhole and get to see some action. Too bad we won’t be able to capture it.

“Who says we can’t capture it?” Ji Yeon points at a button next to the door.

“Surveillance camera? YOU’RE A GENIUS!” I say.

“But it’s turned off.”

“Then that means, we should turn it on!” The surveillance cameras are all over the place but it is usually up to the teacher if they want to turn it on or not. Usually, if the class is about to leave the classroom to go to another classroom, they turn it on so that they could monitor the classroom for any suspicious acitivty. All rooms have this except for the bathroom but in this case, I think Soo Young is one of those careless students who don’t really take notice or pay attention to the smallest of details. We turn on the surveillance cameras and without their knowledge, the whole thing is caught on tape…

Well not the whole thing but some parts.


II.

Daesung and Bom’s friendship start to grow. Today, Daesung promises to join Bom for lunch at the cafeteria.

“Hey! It’s lunchtime. I bet you’re hungry now.” Daesung says.

“I sure am.” Bom replies, happier than before. She grabs her pink lunchbox and heads out to have lunch with Daesung. Daesung’s brown lunch box looks very much similar to hers, except for the fact that it’s of a different color.

“Hey you know what? Our lunchboxes are the same. The only thing that’s different is the color!” Bom takes a closer look. She smiles and agrees with him.

“Oh yeah! I didn’t notice that!”

“It’s because you were too busy looking at him!” Daesung randomly points at Max Changmin, another Voice Department student. He doesn’t mean anything, though. He’s just being funny and friendly.

“No I wasn’t!” Bom blushes. “I don’t even know who he is!”

“You don’t know him?” Daesung looks at her shocked. “He’s our classmate! Max Changmin. Don’t tell me you didn’t notice him!”

“Well I really didn’t!”

“Are you sure?!”

“Yes. I am sure.”


“Blushing! Lying!” Daesung teases. Bom lets out her playful side and chases Daesung around, childishly hitting him with her lunchbox. The two make so much noise that Changmin actually notices them. He smiles and laughs at them, approaching them.

“What are you two doing?” he asks. Bom and Daesung look up. Daesung decides to play his childish game and ditch Bom on the spot to talk to Changmin. Bom snaps back into consciousness and looks around for Daesung. She finds Daesung sitting at the table, taking out the Tupperwares in his lunch box. Bom scurries away from Changmin but before she even reaches her table, Changmin stops her. Bom looks at him with surprised eyes.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he asks out of the blue. Bom’s eyes widen and she tries to call for Daesung but Daesung just stares at them with dreamy eyes. “You haven’t introduced yourself to me yet.” Bom blushes and is too passive to send Changmin away.

“Why would you want to know my name?” Bom asks.

“Is it wrong to know your name? I’m Shim Changmin. Call me Max.”

“I’m Park Bom. Call me Bom. Now can you please let me go, I want to eat my lunch now.” Changmin steps out of her way and leads her to the table. Daesung quietly eats his lunch with chopsticks, trying hard not to smile. He waits for Changmin to leave them and as soon as Bom finishes unpacking her lunchbox, he looks up and grins. Bom is aware that Daesung is grinning at her so she just ignores him and goes on with her food.

“Did I see what I think I saw?” Daesung asks not removing the grin from his face.

“You didn’t see anything.” Bom concentrates on her food, fighting the urge to smile. Daesung knows she likes Changmin. How? He caught her looking at him a couple of times or so in class and often pretends that she doesn’t know him but Bom’s heart flutters whenever he is near…or passes by her. Daesung just can’t ignore the small smile on her face.

“I see a smile on your face.”

“I am smiling because of the food.” Bom says.

“Lame excuses, Park Bom Lee!” Daesung teases. “Come on, admit it. You like Max!” Bom has no choice but to surrender to Daesung’s teasing because he’s right. She does like Changmin. It’s just that she doesn’t have the guts to tell him or Daesung.


“Fine. Fine.” she finally gathers the courage to tell him. “I do like Changmin, okay? Happy now?” Daesung grins a Cheshire cat grin and shakes his head before grabbing another egg roll with his chopsticks.

“You didn’t have to play coy, Bom. I knew right from the start that you like Changmin.”

“Shut up!”

“Talk to him. I think he’s starting to make some moves.” Daesung raises his eyebrows at a rapid pace.

“Shut up!”

“Who knows? You two could just be the next ‘it’ couple here. There have been so many it couples and you two could be next!”

“Once again, Daesung, shut up!”

“Coming from a blushing maiden who finds love for the first time!” Daesung grins his signature grin before taking a chomp at the egg roll. Bom cringes and blushes at the same time and meekly eats her food, carefully slicing it, afraid that if she eats the way she usually eats-carefree and fast-Changmin will notice her and get turned off so in order to avoid humiliation, she keeps her eating discreet.

“I’m just…well, I was really humiliated earlier!” she glares at Daesung but a small smile slowly starts to form on Bom’s face. “You really shouldn’t have left me out there. I was really embarassed!”

“Changmin asked for your name.” Daesung says in between mouthfuls. He then starts to pick at his rice and at Bom’s rice. Bom snips his chopsticks away with her chopsticks and eats slowly again. “Means he’s interested in you!”

“No he is not. He just wanted to know my name because I’m a new student. Daesung, stop assuming things. Guy’s good looking, he prolly has a girlfriend back home. Not like a girl like me who has zero looks and negative 10 personality has a chance!”

“Who knows? Love moves in mysterious ways, doesn’t it?” Daesung sneers and finishes off the last of his lunch. “Hey look it’s Changmin!” Bom, who isn’t really in her right state of mind, whips around and looks for Changmin, not realizing that it’s just a trick planned by Daesung to get some of her food. When Bom looks back, she sees that her shrimp roll’s gone. In Daesung’s mouth it is.

“Well thanks for eating the last of my shrimp roll!” Bom complains.

“Aww come on Bom! I took just one!”

“The LAST one!”

“It doesn’t matter. It’ll help you lose weight! To look good for Changmin!” In her old school, Bom would get angry at people who brought up her weight but this time, she stays calm and thinks over what he just said. She looks at her body from her arms to her belly to her legs. Yes, she is gaining weight. She hasn’t exercised in a while and she noticed that she’s been eating more, too. Bom takes Daesung’s joke seriously and looks at her Tupperware with rice in it and gives it to Daesung.

“Aren’t you gonna eat that?” asks Daesung. Bom shakes her head, the blooming smile fading from her face. “Hey! You only ate vegetables. Those’ll be digested in a matter of minutes. You need to eat more before you pass out.”

“Pass out? That won’t happen.”

“Not happen?! It will! Bom, it will!”

“It won’t so please…” When it comes to her weight and dieting, Bom just hates it when people question her. “Please, just don’t worry about me. I can take care of this.” Daesung shrugs and since he is still kind of hungry, he gets the Tupperware and eats her rice. Bom just sits there and watches him eat, thinking over what he said to her.

Lose weight. To look good for Changmin.

Lose weight it is.


III.

“Hey! Hey!” Chansung calls from behind. “ing deaf kid!” He walks over to Nichkhun’s side and aggressively taps him on the shoulder. Nichkhun spins around and greets him with a smile.

“Hi there!”

“Hey kid, didn’t we tell you to meet us up at lunch time?” he angrily asks Nichkhun. Nichkhun’s face starts to turn serious.

“Sorry. I was doing a lot of things and-”

“Okay. Okay, nevermind. Look, come with us and we’ll show you what we were talking about. Joker!” Joker is Jo Kwon’s nickname. Jo Kwon comes to them and they head to the ’secret lair’. Nichkhun feels like a little kid about to be taken to the mafia house. He looks so innocent. The three, lead by Chansung , exit through the back door and head to the school’s backlot.

“Where are we going?” Nichkhun ponders with a hint of innocence in his voice.

“You know what, you sound gay with that voice!” Jo Kwon insults Nichkhun but Nichkhun tries to think positively and take it as a joke. He laughs it off and shrugs his unanswered question off, too. They reach the abandoned storage room and Nichkhun looks at it with childlike doe eyes filled with wonder.

“What is this?”

“This, my friend is the House of Playas.” Chansung says. “Since you don’t have any friends yet, it is our pleasure to be your first friends.”

“House of Playas? Is rapping required here?” Nichkhun sneers. Chansung and Jo Kwon look at him awkwardly and shake their heads. “No, it isn’t.” Jo Kwon answers calmly trying hard not to get pissed off though he is clearly annoyed with what he asked.

“This is where friendship, brotherhood, and fun come together.” Jo Kwon says with pride. “So if you want to experience a lifetime’s worth of friendship, follow us.” Jo Kwon and Chansung lead him inside the warehouse. In there are several other boys, seated at a round table with bottles of beer and packs of cigarettes. The house is something that’s more of an underground fight club than a house of brotherhood and camaraderie. The place is full of smoke and the smell is just unberable. Like a combination of blood, alcohol, drugs, and bad influences. Nichkhun, as always, tries to see the good in it and thinks that this is better than not having any friends at all.

“All you s listen up!” Chansung declares. “We are about to have a new member here!” The boys cringe, smirk and shake their heads at the sight of Nichkhun. The uncomfortable situation starts to give Nichkhun bad vibes about the place.

“What are you waiting for, you dope? Introduce yourself!” screams one guy at the round table. Nichkhun is taken aback for no one has talked to him that way. Ever.

“Uhm. I’m Nichkhun Horvejkul from the Acting Departmetn and-”

“!” screams Jaebom, from the Rapping Department. “All we want is your goddamn name! What? Next thing you giving your address?” Man, these guys are rude! Nichkhun finally has enough of their rudeness and steps up.
“Hey! All of you! Is any of this legal? Because if it isn’t, then I’m gonna have to report you to the Dean!” Nichkhun threatens. Chansung grabs him by the neck and Jo Kwon leads the other guys to beat him up. They send punches and kicks to his stomach and face, bruising him badly. Chansung releases him and throws him to the floor.

“Big shot new student! Thinks he’s a man just because the ladies love him!” Jo Kwon sneers. He spits at him, followed by the other boys. Nichkhun tries to shield himself from their saliva [a/n: this is gross xD. don’t know how I came up with it!].

“Don’t you dare tell anyone about this…” threatens one guy. He kicks Nichkhun’s back afterwards. Nichkhun tries to stand up, his handsome face covered with red and blue bruises.

“Or what?” Chansung snaps his finger and the boys take out their pocket knives. Nichkhung feels threatened and backs away slowly. “That’s right boy! You don’t tell no one about this secret organization of ours. And now that you’re here, you have no choice but to be a member. You want friends right? You don’t want no enemies, especially us! You don’t want us for enemies.” Chansung grabs him by the neck and helpless as he is, he puts the pocket knife against his head, as if about to skewer the poor new student’s head.

“Yes…” is all Nichkhun can manage.

“Good.” Chansung throws him to the floor. “Now you don’t get in here that easy, Nichkhun. You have to endure a series of tests. This is also known as initiation.”

“Ini-” Jo Kwon kicks his head, making him lose consciousness for a brief moment. After that brief moment, Nichkhun wakes up and sees the boys still around him.

“Stand up!” commands Chansung. Nichkhun tries with all his might to get up but the beatings have left him weak beyond words. Jaebom along with three other men aggressively pull him up and hold his arms. After trying so hard to stabilize himself, Nichkhun is finally able to stand on his own. But not for long. Chansung grabs a baseball bat and urges the other boys to grab one.

“FALL IN LINE, MEN!” Chansung yells. All 17 boys, the two of them included fall in line with baseball bats in their hands. Nichkhun gasps for air and with blood pouring from his head, he tries to pass the test. “Now all you have to do is walk in front of us and endure the baseball bat hits that we will be delivering to your body. Simple as that.” Nichkhun thinks about this for a moment. Does he really want this? Is it really worth being friends with these guys? Well for a young fellow like Nichkhun, the need to fit in is important and he doesn’t want to feel left out and seen by others as a loner or a loser or gay because most of his new friends are women. So for the sake of being a cool kid, Nichkhun does it. He takes his first step. His heart is beating fast and as soon as he is exactly in front of the first guy, the first guy hits him hard on the back with a baseball bat, making him fall to his knees on the floor. The same thing happens with the second all the way to the last guy. They hit him on different parts, leaving him exhausted and in pain in the end.

“Do you think he’ll still be alive by the end of this day?” asks one guy.

“I have no idea. He seems kind of strong. I mean, he has muscles so I think he’ll survive this.”

“He will.” Chansung says. “Who knows, he could just be faking this entire thing. After all, he is the “Best Actor””. They all mock him and act out scenes from the play. Nichkhun looks at them with glaring, angry eyes that look as if they are about to turn red. With all his might, he stands up and lunges at them, wanting to take Chansung down but one guy is alert enough to elbow him hard, sending back to the floor. Nichkhun’s entire body aches. He is full of bruises, scars and blood. Chansung sees this and pities him a bit. Just a little bit. He then stops them from further harming the new student.

“Alright that’s enough!” says Chansung. “He might not live and we could be charged with murder. Help him up and lay him on the bed.” The bed that Chansung is talking about is the torn and tattered mattress in the dirty kitchen. The boys lay him down and let him rest, tending to his wounds.

“You don’t ing tell anyone about this, you understand?” Nichkhun, dizzy and hazy, nods. “Hand me my knife.” Nichkhun’s heartbeat speeds up at the sound of that word. Knife.

“What are you gonna do?” asks Nichkhun.

“Relax. We’re just gonna mark something on your shoulder.” The guy carves an anagram on Nichkhun’s shoulder using the knife. Nichkhun cries and wails and howls in pain. After a few minutes, he calms down and sleeps the pain away.

“We have a class after this. What do we tell them?” Jo Kwon asks Chansung.

“That he went home because he wasn’t feeling well. He had food poisoning.” Chansung says. Jo Kwon nods.

“ALRIGHT EVERYONE! IT’S TIME! GO BACK TO YOUR RESPECTIVE CLASSES BUT LEAVE THE NEW MEMBER HERE.” Chansung announces. Nichkhun is in a deep sleep because of the pain. They all leave and lock him in and as soon as they’re outside, they disperse and act like nothing happened.

IV.

“What is more annoying than a girl who can’t even…” no matter what people say, Onew is extremely determined to go on with this talk station thing of his. I know that he’s been under fire and he’s been getting a lot of hate comments but nothing can bring this fool down!

Maybe the power of attraction can…

Ji Yeon and I just happen to pass by the radio station and I knock on Onew’s door to remind him something.

“Hey Jinki,” I call him by his new nickname. “I just want to remind you that you are still somehow part of the writing department and that the story boards are due tomorrow.”

“I am no longer part of the Writing Department! I have my own department!”

“You do not. It cannot be called a department. There’s only one member. You need to have more than 30 to be considered a “department”. Besides, your radio station doesn’t have any progress anyways. Not like your Getting Risque with Jinki segment is helping.”

“Bitter melon! Go chew on a-” Onew’s eyes drift from mine to the fair lady standing right beside me. Park Ji Yeon. Ji Yeon clucthes her art materials tightly and when her eyes meet Onew’s, she shyly looks away. I can see some blushing on their faces and all the more when Ji Yeon walks behind me to hide from Onew.

“Hey! What’s your pretty friend’s name?” I hide Ji Yeon behind me and protect her from Jinki. His malicious mind and equally malicious words will scar Ji Yeon forever if she hears them.

“That’s not what I’m here for. I’m here for the storyboards! Our groupwork, Jinki! What the hell?!”

“You know what, since you think you’re the best writer in here, why don’t you take command!”

“What the?” I drop my writing materials in shock. Did he just say that I wasthe best writer? Well if so then that’s a compliment but in this case, he said it just so that I could do all the work for him! “Bull, Onew!!! You have to help me with this! Making the storyboard is not that easy!”


“Eh? You have Victoria with you!” Victoria Song. The former Dance Department student who left and shifted to the Writing Department because of Gahee’s wickedness.

“!” I enter his studio and slam the door shut. Ji Yeon stands right outside, watching us argue in horror. “Victoria doesn’t know about our department the way you and I know , alright? Now, if you still want your dreams to come true, your dreams of being in the field of journalism, Mr. Lee Jin Ki, please help me with my work because unless you can get 30 plus people to side with you and stand with you to keep this department, screw you, you’re working under the Writing Department, still. Alright?” I tell him.

“You are a pathetic human being. I don’t even know where to start with your patheticness.”

“The only thing that’s pathetic is your desire to broadcast bull like your life and pretentious girlfriends whereas all this is a cover up for the fact that you are still a !” I yell.

“ you, ! Why? It’s not like you’ve been deized, you four eyed !”

“At least I don’t hide my ity and cover it up with fake knowledge on ual things and obviously rehearsed ual arousal!” our argument heats up even more, to the point that I have to give in just so that Onew would quit.

“Fine!” I say at the end of our argument. “If you think you’re deserving of this, well it’s yours! You’re the victor! Getting Risque with Jinki is the first and best ing segment in this school. Are you happy now? Come on! Show me your happy face!” Onew flashes a wide grin and I fake one in return. I walk away with Ji Yeon feeling more frustrated than ever. I see Onew fold his arms at the back of his head by the corner of my eye and this irks me even more. It’s always been a struggle to get Onew to do things, even before this whole radio thing.

“WAIT!” Onew steps out of the radio booth and stops us in our tracks. I turn around and look at him with an angry face.

“What the hell do you want now?” he walks past me and introduces himself to Ji Yeon.

“Hi. My name is Lee Jinki. I’ve not seen you around before. Care to tell me your name?” The ever shy and hurting Ji Yeon shies away from him but Onew tries to get her to speak to him.

“Don’t be shy. I just want to know your name.”

“Park Ji Yeon.” Ji Yeon finally speaks up.

“Park Ji Yeon? Are you part of the Writing Department?” Ji Yeon shakes her head.

“No. I’m part of the Arts Department.” Onew nods and smiles. “Well, as you’ve heard from Tiffany here I was part of the Writing Department and…” Onew blabs on and on about himself until Ji Yeon has had enough and snaps at him.

“Judging by the way you spoke to Tiffany earlier, I’d say you’re a jerk!” she says with her small voice. My eyes widen with surprise as I’ve never heard Ji Yeon insult someone before. Onew’s eyes widen, too.

“Feisty!” he says, pursuing her. “I like that.”

“Well you’re pesky and I hate that!” Ji Yeon bites back. I laugh underneath my breath.

“What do I have to do to make you my girl?” Ji Yeon arches and eyebrow and spits fire at him. With only two words.

“Get lost, you pathetic loser!” Ji Yeon says. She grabs my wrist and pulls me along with her. We walk as far away from Jin Ki as possible. Onew is left standing, humiliated.

V.

“Daegu girl!” calls G-Dragon from a distance. He sees Yubin walking all by herself down the corridor and follows her. “Daegu girl, wait!” Yubin finally looks back and turns her attention to him.

“What do you want?” Yubin asks annoyed.

“We’re having a Rap-Up session later today.” G-Dragon says.

“What’s that?”

“It’s an elimination contest to determine who will represent our school in the Interschool Freestyle Battle Rap Contest.”

“Oh. So you want me to join your Rap-Up?” Yubin asks.

“It’s mandatory. We should all join. And since you’re part of our group now, you’re gonna have to take part.”

“Okay. So this thing’s freestyling?”

“Yes.” G-Dragon answers. “By the way, TOP wants to see you.”

“TOP?” Yubin looks at him with concern. What could TOP possibly want from her? “Where is he?”

“In the Department Room. Go look for him there.” Yubin heads to the Rap Department Room and looks for TOP. Upon seeing him, she opens the door and enters the room. TOP’s face lights up at the sight of the new rapper.

“You wanted to see me?” she asks with her deep voice. TOP nods and invites her to sit with him. Yubin takes a seat.

“What is your name? I mean, your full name?”

“Didn’t I introduce myself already?” Yubin looks at him and sees the impatient look on his face. This is a sign that she should answer him and give him the information he is looking for. “Kim Yubin.”

“Kim Yubin. You’re a very versatile rapper, do you know that?”

“Not really.”

“Well now you know. You can do almost anything. In terms of rapping that is. Did Ji Young tell you about the elimination?”

“Yeah. He did.”

“Good. You have to prepare. You’ve heard theother guys rap. I bet you’re intimidated. They don’t rap like the other rappers out there. They have skill.”

“I know that.” Yubin replies. “They’re pretty good.”

“They’re not just good. They’re the best around.” TOP says in an effort to intimidate Yubin and to get her to back out. “You watch your back, Daegu girl. You may be the standout rap student but if you slack off, someone could steal the spotlight from you.” Yubin feels slightly intimidated but very much encouraged. She stands up and walks away from TOP.


“Cowardice?” TOP murmurs. Yubin hears this and whips around, shooting a dirty look at him.

“You ain’t seen nothing yet.” Yubin mouths and walks away. TOP looks at her and nods his head.

“She’s determined. Nothing can break her spirit.”

Yubin walks around the campus in an effort to clear her mind. The pressure of the elimination has yet to sink in. While walking on the campus with a burdened mind and a heavy heart, Yubin fails to notice the locker in front of her and nearly busts her forehead after bumping into it.

“!” she yelps. The person behind the locker closes the door and helps Yubin, apologizing to her.

“Oh I’m sorry.” The person behind the locker is Yuri. “Are you alright?” She takes Yubin’s hand and her hair.

“Yeah I’m fine.” Yubin looks up and sees Yuri’s pretty face. They look each other in the eye and smile.

“Hi.” Yuri says. “You are?”

“Kim Yubin.” Yubin replies coldly. “You?”

“Kwon Yuri.” Yuri says with a smile. “Pleasure to meet you.” Yubin nods her head upwards and walks away from Yuri. Yuri is about to tell her something when she sees Yubin’s back turned, walking away from her. Yuri just shrugs it off and walks away from the locker area.

Rap battle. Battle rap. Dammit! Yubin thinks to herself. She tries to erase from her mind what TOP has just told her about the other guys crushing her. With this in mind, she runs back to the Rap Department (which is empty except for TOP, who she isn’t sure if still there). She runs into Yuri once more and when their eyes meet, Yuri smiles at her but Yubin reciprocates coldly by just looking away.


[AT THE RAP DEPARTMENT]

“Hey!” Yubin yells. TOP is prancing, walking around trying to come up with a good flow. Yubin thinks of all the times TOP underestimated her and uses her frustrations as her inspiration. “Freestyle battle rap with me, right now!” TOP looks at her with wide eyes, obviously surprised by Yubin’s blunt attitude. His stoic eyes turn afraid.

“Wh-”

“Shut up! I want to practice. Let’s do it. Underestimating me? Let’s see what you got!” TOP smirks at her feist and gives her a chance.

“Alright. How’s about you throw it down first.” TOP says.

[Yubin raps: “Tell Me Rap Version”]

“Your turn, TOP!”

[TOP raps: “Lollipop 2”]

“Impressed yet?”

“Not quite yet. One more!”

[Yubin raps “Honey”]

“Why are you so hard to beat!?”

[TOP raps: “Number 1”]

“Hey, let’s up the speed, shall we?” Yubin challenges.

“Why not?”

[Yubin raps: “Café”]

[TOP raps: “Lies”]

Yubin and TOP continue to exchange freestyles. GD and the other boys enter the room and see them. They watch in amusement as Yubin half-screams the next rap she has. TOP runs out of rhymes and as a sign of frustration, he drops the sheet of paper in his hand and walks away.

“See you rap with other guys. Let’s see how far you’ll get!” TOP challenges her.

“Why are you angry? Sore sour loser?” she teases with feist. TOP lunges at her and points at her. The small rapper girl backs away.

“You do not make fun of me nor question my expertise, do you understand me? I’ve been here and I’ve been at it for years. You’re just a new student so you don’t have the right to question my talent.” Yubin smiles wanly and sticks her tongue out in childish fashion.

It be the only girl pimp Kim Yubin
Servin you beats hot and fresh daily
Better listen or you’ll be missin on my dissin
My words are a cruisin like a Chevy ‘57
You can’t get me down I’ll turn you around
Like a 1957 record round and round
I’m pleasing to your ears been at it for three years
I’m the only girl rapper who brough TOP to tears
Knock knock knock someone’s at the door
Looks like another disser wanna even the score
I say ‘turn it up’ and show me what you got
He say ‘I give up’ he ain’t worth another shot
Ain’t the feeling sweet, when you just got beat
By the shadiest quietest 5 foot chick
Makes you just wanna think about my slick and fresh
(What you call it)
y rapping style !

Yubin throws down for them. The other guys stare at her with their jaws dropping to the floor. TOP looks at her blankly, not knowing what to say.

“You beat me.” TOP says. “You’ve beaten me, actually. Take on the other guys now.”

“Come on! Let’s get it on!” GD says in flamboyant fashion.

[GD’s rap: “Heartbreaker”]

Yubin her head to the side and smiles. She clenches her fists and breathes heavily, in an effort to prepare for her rap.

When you see my long dark locks
Makes you wanna rock
The way I dress
No doubt you impressed
The clack of my heels
My voice gives you the chills
All the boys in the hood are gonna be thrilled
I come from Daegu with my rocking hairdo
There is no other opponent to destroy but you
You yourself and you
An island like Jeju
Diss me and you’ll ing pop
You’d wanna stop
Too much is not enough
I may be bad, but I can be sweet
I am the rapping machine who is only 5 feet


[GD raps: “Lies”]

So ers beware if you’re not aware
Danger’s in the air when I flow you’ll get scared
I’ll make you dizzy like you’re drunk
Feeling a little sunk
Like a merry go ground
So DJ drop the sound.

[GD raps: “The Leaders”]

Yubin is a tad bit intimidated by the content of the last rap. She tries to come up with her own.

[Yubin raps: “2 Different Tears]

“Goddammit! How and why are you so freaking quick?!?” GD grunts in frustration.

“We have a winner! Next round…” The next rapper steps forward and Yubin defeats him as usual.

And it goes on and on and on…

VI.

“That Onew guy is as annoying as !” Ji Yeon curses out loud. The new Ji Yeon is kinda scaring me maybe because I’m not used to hearing her curse and talk out loud.

“He is!” I agree with her. But each time that I look into Ji Yeon’s eyes, I see a slight sparkle and the mention of Onew’s name turns her face red. It’s starting to tell me something. “Been that way ever since.”

“Ugh! I wish he would just disappear!”

“He likes you.” I tell him.

“Shut the up!”

“Sure he does.” I . “Did you see the way he looked at you? He was like…so interested!”

“I don’t care. I hate him!” Ji Yeon is blushing. Redder than ever. In order not to piss her off, I roll my eyes and just change the topic. “Stupid guy! He’s so …” Ji Yeon can’t stop thinking about him.

“Anyways, moving on. Did you get the previous incident?” I ask.

“Yeah. As well as a couple droplets of muddy water on my artpaper.” Ji Yeon complains. We spied on the fraternity that Nichkhun just joined backstage and we had to hide behind the bushes and trees and there was a pipe that was dripping with muddy water.

“Sure did.”

“Great. This novel is gonna come together. Bit by bit.”

“So how’s this story gonna go?”

“It’s about this heaven like place that has a lot of secrets…” I narrate. “And you don’t have to substitute them with animals. You can use people. Just change their names.”

“Alrighty!” Ji Yeon starts to draw the pictures.

“You might wanna sit down, Jee. Don’t give yourself a hard time.”

“Hey, I gotta go! I have a class after this.”

“Yeah sure. Gotta go,too. Bye Jee!” I wave at her and head to my classroom. In the Writing Department, I see Victoria Song sitting all by herself in the corner.

“Hey Vicki.” I greet her. Victoria looks at me and smiles. “Hey!”

“How’s it going?” I ask her.

“Not well.” she frowns. I furrow my brows and frown. I put a hand on her shoulder and remove a few strands of hair away from her face. “Why not?”

“I just am not.” Not wanting to pressure her, I nod and sit with her still, just to provide companionship.

“Don’t worry, Victoria. You’ll adjust to the club, soon. I know it’s kind of hard to fit in at first but trust me, you’ll get in the hang of it.” I smile at her.

“Thanks. But that’s not really the reason why I’m blue.”

“Oh.”

“I’m not telling anyone.”

“That’s okay. It’s not like I’m gonna ask you anyways.” Victoria smiles awkwardly at me and I smile awkwardly back.

“Thanks for your concern, though.” Victoria stands up and walks away from me. The smile on my face fades away and I stand from my spot as well. I am so sick and tired of people standing up and walking away from me. It’s not the first time this has happened to me.

Victoria Song is the new student that used to belong to the Dance Department. She moved for reasons unknown (well, the only reason I can think of is the Gahee reason but I think there’s more to it) and I think she’s having a hard time adjusting to the new environment. Victoria was a new student last year, another one of those who arrived in bunches (she belonged to the batch of Kwon Yuri, the batch of new students that came last year). Victoria is from China and is fluent in Chinese soshe uses her knowledge in Asian Literature to her advantage in the Writing Department. She sure knows a lot considering the fact that she’s the daughter of a writer. Victoria continues to look down, just writing her article on her table. I pity her. I think she’s going through so much more than what I thought. I want to talk to her, feel the urge to comfort her but rejection stops me. So I opt not to. But I really want to get to know Victoria more because she looks like an outcast to me. I mean, not that she’s ugly or anything but Victoria looks very underappreciated and for that, I’d like to be her friend.

Good thing, though, I have a reason to talk to her. She and Onew (that jerk Onew!) are my groupmates in the storyboard for the mini-documentary. I tap her on the shoulder.

“What?” she answers irritated.

“Uhm. Sorry for disturbing you. I see you have your-”

“What do you want?”

“You and Onew are my groupmates in the storyboard for the documentary.”

“I know.”

“We haven’t done anything yet.” Victoria looks at me with distraught eyes and looks away as quick as she can. I stare at her longer and when I realize that she is not going to give an answer any time soon, I look away and focus on my writing. A few minutes later, Victoria taps my table.

“I’ll do the filming.” she says.

“Oh. Okay.” I tell her. What I can’t tell her is that we don’t even have a definite plan yet because one member of our group is too busy discussing his es on his radio station.

“Can I tell you something?” asks Victoria.

“Sure. What do you want?”

“Do you know Nichkhun Horvejkul?” she asks with a twinkle in her eyes.

“Yeah? What about him?” I suddenly remember the horrific initiation he went through earlier.

“I kinda like him and I want him to notice me. I want to be friends with him but with his popularity and with all the pretty girls in the Acting Department, I doubt he’d even spare a glance.” Victoria says, feeling down.

“You can. Just talk to him. Befriend him. It usually starts with friendship.” I advice her. I want to tell myself to shut up because I don’t even follow that advice.

“Is it alright if you come with me?” she invites me.

“Uhm… I’m not sure. I have some business to take care of. Besides, I think you can do it, Victoria. I believe in you.” I put hand on her shoulder and smile at her.