Chapter 10

The Art of Life II: Fly High!

I.

Today is the day everyone’s been waiting for. The competition proper. The Dance Team will head to the National Interschool Hip Hop Dance Competition; Park Bom will compete in the National Performing Arts Schools Singing Contest; Nichkhun and the rest of the Acting Department will perform for the Aristrocrats of The Dramatic Arts; Yubin, supported by her crew, will head to the National Freestyle Battle Rap while the remaining few (us) will either go to those places to cheer our schoolmates on or work on something more important (this is where we come in).

Yuri and her dance crew, still led by Soo Young, are getting ready for the competition. They are competing against the 3 most prestigious art schools in the country. They are plainly dressed, compared to the other groups competing who are clad in glitter and gold. Yuri and her team represent what street dancing is all about. They look so hood right now! Yuri is wearing a white crop top and baggy black pants, this being the official costume of the girls while Taeyang is wearing a black wife beater and baggy denim pants, this being the costume of the guys. While stretching and doing a choreo review, Yuri points out the group that beat her up.

“There they are.” she tells Min and her friends.

“That’s them? God they look so ugly!” Nicole jeers. The group laughs together.

“They ain’t good dancers, either.” Yuri says. Nicole, Min, and HyoYeon look at Yuri and smile.

“We are so glad to have you back on our team, Yul.” Hyoyeon says.

“Yeah. I can’t imagine what our group would be like without you.” Nicole follows.

“Oh and Yuri,” Min says, trying to apologize for the rudeness she showed last time. “I’m sorry for being hard on you last time. I mean, all you wanted was to follow your dreams and I didn’t even support you. I’m not a good friend. I should’ve stood by you-”

“Say no more. It’s okay. What’s important is we’re back together and we’re gonna compete as one!” Yuri forgives her friend quickly with spirit. They bridge the gap with a hug.

“ALRIGHT EVERYONE! CUT THE DRAMA!” Soo Young goes back to her demanding, Ms. Bossy Boots persona. “Listen, we trained real hard for this. I know we had our differences and we even had to go through practices without one very important member,” she looks at Yuri and smiles. Yuri nods her head and returns the smile. “But we’re here now. We made it through the grueling rehearsal days and we are officially competing as one team. No one’s missing anymore.” Soo Young looks at Yuri once more and sees the determination and passion in her eyes.

“Yuri,” she calls. “Take over with me.” Yuri’s face lightens up and she walks to Soo Young’s side.

“Listen up everyone. I know I walked out on you and I brought so much drama but forget that. Thing is, we’re 45 minutes away from the competition. I got a few words for you. Three words, actually. Attitude. Passion. Swagger. You gotta show these guys what the S.P.A.S. Shots are all about. Remember, never look down, stare your competitors in the eye. Dance with all your heart and give it all you got. Dance like you’re gonna die tomorrow. And most importantly, say a short prayer before the music comes on.”

“Everybody game?!” Soo Young cheers. The guys and girls return with yeahs and howls that are weak.

“Hey! Did you hear our captain?” Yuri looks at Soo Young and winks. With only 15 minutes left before the start of the competition, she tries to arouse their nervous spirits. “EVERYBODY GAME?!” the crew comes alive at Yuri’s voice and they all put their hands together, throwing them in the air afterwards.

“WE HIP HOP AND WE DON’T STOP!” they cheer altogether. The Fly 5 and Tenacious Two look at them and roll their eyes.

“Pathetic” Hyomin says under her breath. Yuri reads her lips and mouths ‘ you’ to them and their other classmates.

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN…WELCOME TO THE NATIONAL INTERSCHOOL HIP HOP DANCE COMPETITION…” as the announcer goes on with the rules, Yuri and Soo Young review their team’s positions and steps and once they’ve got everything under control and in order, the two former rivals face each other to give each other some words of encouragement.

“Yuri, after all we’ve been through, all the drama and all the arguments, I just want you to know that I’m with you 100%. Win or lose, you’ll always be the best dancer.” Soo Young says. Yuri takes her former rival’s hand in hers and clasps it tightly.

“No matter what I said in the past, no matter what I did, put them all behind you. What’s important is we’re together and I’m not leaving you guys no more.” The two ladies hold hands and as the announcer goes over the crews that are competing and when he mentions S.P.A.S, Yuri, Soo Young and the rest of the crew go wild.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, let the competition begin!” the crowd goes wild.


FIRST ROUND: Seoul Performing Arts School vs. Institute for Dance and Music.

[SPAS song: “Ppang” by JJ]

Yuri and the girls step forward first for the song’s first part. The girls dance ily but with attitude, heeding what Yuri has told them. They show their perfect bodies and let the y dance moves accentuate them. Yuri and Soo Young are in front most of the time to guide them, with them being the best dancers in the team. Come the rap part, the boys enter and show off their excellent popping skills, intimidating the opposing team. Though the song is simple and not that hard-hitting, the performance nonetheless is and they have managed to blow their opponents and the crowd, as well as the judges away.

[IDM song: “OMG” by Usher]

The opposite team does very well, too. They prove that they can level up to Yuri’s crew. The girls are just as y and the guys are just as tough when it comes to dancing. The dancers are overflowing with power and passion and it’s safe to say that we might have a neck to neck battle here because they are just as good. The performance has popping, locking, breakdancing, gyrating, and complicated choreography, just about everything you can imagine. The ending? Breathtaking!

WINNER OF THE FIRST ROUND: S.P.A.S.


The second round is just as explosive as the first round. The judges honestly had a hard time deciding on a winner but have now come up with a victor.

“And the winner of the second round to compete against S.P.A.S is…Seoul Talent Academy!” Yuri and Soo Young know that they have to step up their game not because of Hyomin and the rest of the Fly 5 but because their old mentor, Park Gahee is there.

FINALE: SPAS vs. STA.

[SPAS song: “The Boogie That Be”, “Go Girl” , “Hero”]

[STA song: “Teddy’s Jam”, “Boom Boom Pow”, “No Air”]

Gahee sees her former protégés giving all they’ve got and is impressed by her hard work. She has taught them well. But what she’s not impressed with is the fact that her ex-rival, Kwon Yuri, is still there and is leading with Soo Young, her ex-best friend. She’s heard of the beef the Fly 5 and Tenacious Two had with Yuri and this prompts her to encourage them to move even more.

Both crews give all they’ve got, proving that they trained really well and hard for this competition. There were no slackers and they are oozing with appeal and attitude. The steps that Yuri told Soo Young not to include are now part of their choreography. At the end of both performances, the judges’ heads hurt even more.

II.

The Singing Competition. So many singers have performed already and Park Bom is last. You know the drama she’s been through. With her eating disorder, her Changmin problem, and her baby, you thought she wouldn’t come out of them alive and would just kill herself in her basement, right? Wrong! Bom is a fighter and with her friend-turned-boyfriend-and future daddy Daesung, as well as support from her ever loving mother, Bom is able to pull herself together and emerge as a strong woman who is ready to compete in the singing contest.

Despite being a singer since the age of 4, Bom still experiences stage fright and now, with her belly bump and her weight, she couldn’t be any more nervous. Once the second to the last performer is done, Bom gets called to the stage and she emerges from the curtains, showing the world her pregnant belly and her full figure proudly. Whispers can be heard from the stage but it’s her mom’s and boyfriend’s smiles that put her in good spirits and encourage her to sit on that goddamn bench and sing her song.

“I’m going to perform an original composition. I hope you guys like it.”

[song: “You and I” by Park Bom]

Her performance receives a lot of love from the audience. Roses thrown at her by random guys and howls from some of her schoolmates. Her mom and Daesung embrace her as soon as she gets off the stage. Now, all they have to do is to wait for a few minutes before the final decision.

III.

With Nichkhun back in their group and Chansung, together with the rest of the Frat Boys expelled, it’s safe to say that everything’s back to the way it should be and though they aren’t competing and are just out to perform for the wealthiest of the wealthy in Korea, with Nichkhun on their team, there’s no doubt that they’re gonna blow the brains off these rich folks.

And their play? What else? Helen of Troy! With a dashing male lead like Nichkhun and a beautiful leading lady to play Helen, that is the one and only IU, there’s no doubt that this play will be talked about in the society of the upper class.

The play opens beautifully with the actors portraying their roles with all emotion. Nichkhun is really a believable Paris and IU stuns as Helen, the face who launched a thousand ships. The battle scene is unbelievable as well, it has the aristocrats whispering good reviews amongst themselves. Not a doubt in this world that they are impressed by the play.

I cannot narrate the entire thing to you as it’ll take up too much space and I still have to report on other happening and competitions but I assure you that the play is anything but lame. Nichkhun really brought home the honor and glory for the Drama Department and for the school.

IV.

Yubin, GD, TOP, Tablo, Key and the rest of the Rap Department are at the Underground Music Lair where the Battle Rap is to be held. For the first time in history, since the Rap Department’s formation, they are going to let a lady compete and represent the school, namely that department. Yubin is a good rapper, the best they’ve had. But let’s see how she will fare against her opponents.

Who?

Lee Eunhyuk from Seoul Talent Academy, Xiah Junsu from Korean Art Academy, Park Geonil from Far Eastern Performing School, and Kim Ki Bum from Institute for Dance and Music and other men from different schools who are experts in this particular branch of music. Yubin doesn’t feel the least bit intimidated. In fact, she’s very much ready to start the contest. With her red crop jacket, her black tank top, her Daisy Dukes and her red Reeboks, she looks game.

“Let’s begin!” the MC says. TOP gives Yubin some advice before she goes out there and competes. Eunhyuk will be competing with four others, too.

“Remember, it’s all in your head. You got no more papers this time. No more iPod, no nothing , no stopping. You said you’ve done this before so I trust you. Try not to get distracted and don’t mess your flow.”

“Yeah I get it!” Yubin says impatiently.

“And keep flowing. Alright? Keep flowing. No matter what the crowd says, no matter what they do, no matter who shows up, you have to keep flowing. This is about you, Daegu girl!”

Yubin’s first opponent: Kim Ki Bum. Category: Ballad rap.

[Ki Bum’s song: “Run” by Epik High]

[Yubin’s son: “Sick Enough To Die” by MC Mong]

WINNER OF THE FIRST ROUND: Kim Yubin.

“Yeah man!” GD give Yubin a high five after her victory in the first round. “Alright, so next up you got speed rapping. You can do that, can you?”

“Sure can. Who am I up against next?”

“Xiah Junsu”

“Ha! Piece of !” Yubin says feistilly.

“Good thing you still remember everything I told, we told you.”

“Sure do. Now I’mma go get ‘em!”

Yubin’s next opponent: Junsu. Category: Speed rap

[Junsu's song: “Oetori” by Outsider]

[Yubin’s song: “Hey” by E.via]

WINNER OF THE SECOND ROUND: Yubin Kim.

“Two times the charm, lady!” TOP and Key give her high fives. Yubin takes in some water and tries to come up with another good rap for her next opponent. Park Geonil.

Yubin’s third opponent: Park Geonil. Category: Just Rapping

[Park Geonil: “TTL Part 2” by Supernova/T-ara]

[Yubin: “La Vida Loca” by Clover]

WINNER OF THE THIRD ROUND: Kim Yubin.

The final round is what really matters here. If Yubin wins this, she takes home the prize. Eunhyuk has competed with 4 other rappers that were thrown at him earlier and he has emerged the victor, proving that he is just as good as Yubin. Yubin talks to TOP and GD and asks for some advice.

“Goddammit! That Eunhyuk guy is good! I can’t believe we’re up against each other.”

“You know what I can’t believe?” TOP asks. “I can’t believe that you got this far. I’m sorry if I sound a bit judgemental and skeptical but I never thought you’d come this far. Never.”

“Well now you know what Daegu girl is made of.”

“I was sorely mistaken.”

“You bet your .”

So for the finale, it’s Eunhyuk vs. Yubin. Yubin tries to concentrate despite the noise that her group and the crowd is making. What she is doing right now is very hard. Coming up with something while bearing with the noise. Time is up and it’s Eunhyuk’s turn to rap.

[Eunhyuk’s rap: “Run To You” by DJ DOC]

At the end of Eunhyuk’s performance, Yubin is a hundred times more nervous than when she began. For the first time, she is actually intimidated by a rapper. No one has intimidated her like this before.

“Damn he’s intimidating.”

“Don’t talk like that, Daegu girl, you’re making us lose hope!” G-Dragon says frantically.

“But he really is.”

“Stop the negative talk and just do your thing when you get there.” TOP says. “Let all your aggression out. Think of that stupid boy who dumped your sorry for that in pink.” Yunho’s face pops up in Yubin’s head. She remembers all the times they had and how he threw it all away for a ditzy priss like Gyuri. “Remember everything, Yubin. Recall…”

Feeling angrier than ever and knowing that she shot herself with heroin twice, Yubin’s got the power now!
“Let’s do it!” Yubin steps forward, grabs the mic and spits her rhyme before Eunhyuk.

[Yubin’s rap: “Turn It Up” by TOP]

Yubin unleashes her inner pimp by rapping in a deep voice like her mentor TOP. Her hand gestures are very manly and the way her bangs fall to her face, fierce! Yubin is close to screaming the words at Eunhyuk but keeps in mind that it isn’t Yunho she’s rapping to but at least she thinks it is. The rap ends with her making a few funny gestures which win the crowd over.

And the winner is…

V.

Onew, Ji Yeon, Victoria, and I head to the auditorium to show the students what we have come up with. I give the teacher the novel that Ji Yeon and I have worked on and as a group of four, we present the video we have made.

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is Lee Jin Ki also known as Onew here.” Onew says, Anderson Cooper style. Our report is news broadcasting like.

“And I am your correspondent Victoria Song. Our top stories for today, anorexia, fraternity involvement and the power of lust.” the students pay attention as these are topics that they are interested in. Very much interested in.

“Top story number one: Anorexia.” Onew in the video explains the effects of anorexia and how anorexia affected and nearly owned one student (Park Bom)

“Top story number two: Fraternity Involvement.” Victoria reports. This is where we get controversial. The video that Onew got of Jo Kwon putting the drug bags and guns in Nichkhun’s bag get students talking. The teachers who weren’t present then are even more enlightened and are thankful that we showed the video to the Dean, which led to the expulsion of the entire group. Another thing that scares students is the fact that a frat house was built at the school’s backlot without anyone knowing.

“And Top story number three: The power of seduction.” to spare Soo Young’s identity, because she has turned a new leaf, Onew and Victoria just talk about how can own people and lead them to do malicious things and alter the decisions of the tempted people.

“That’s it for tonight, I’m Onew.”

“And I’m Victoria Song.”
The video ends and the teachers as well as the students applaud our presentation. Not only that, the teachers go over the novel and tell me that they love our work. Ji Yeon and I give each other high fives.

We may not have humiliated them in the video but in our novel…oh hot damn!

The students leave the auditorium, and so do Victoria and I. Onew is just about to leave when Ji Yeon takes a hold of his hand.

“What the?”

“Onew…” Ji Yeon starts. “You have proven to me that you can change and the fact that you helped us out. Through all of this. Proves that people can really change for the better. And for that, I say yes.” Onew and Ji Yeon end the day with a kiss.


VI.

“The winner of the Dance Competition is…” Yuri and the rest of our school’s dance team join hands, nervously squeezing the hand that they’re holding. “S.P.A.S Shots!” when the announcer announces their team name, they jump for joy and celebrate. Park Gahee rolls her eyes and looks at them with disbelief. Yuri steps forward and like old times, extends her hand to Gahee.

“You put up a good fight. We had a hard time trying to keep up with you.” and the sore loser that she is, Gahee scoffs and walks away. Yuri shrugs and puts her hand down, feels a hand on her shoulder. She turns around and is embraced by Taeyang.

“You go girl! Glad to have you back!”

“Feels good to be back, too!” the two smile at each other and Taeyang gives Yuri a kiss on the cheek. Yuri blushes and runs a hand through her hair. They all embrace one another and in the end, Soo Young approaches Yuri and hugs her tightly.

“Thanks. You deserve the Dance Captain position.” Soo Young says. Yuri smiles, a gesture of acceptance.

-o-o-o-

“PARK BOM LEE!!!” the crowd goes wild as Bom’s name comes out of the host’s mouth. She goes up the stage to receive her trophy and her boquet of flowers. The crowd chants her name and tears of joy stream down her face. After all she’s been through, this victory proves that there’s always rainbow after every storm. Her mother and Daesung come up the stage and embrace her. Daesung gives his soon-to-be wife a kiss and places a gentle hand on her belly. Victory has never tasted this sweet.

-o-o-o-


“KIM YUBIN!” Yubin grins and shrugs, obviously high and strung out with all her rapping. TOP and GD howl and jump for joy, cheering their representative’s name over and over. Kim Yubin has no trophy nor boquet or medal to bring home but what’s important is the honor that she has given to our school and she has proven that girls like her can rap, too.

“MAN THAT WAS ING WICKED!!!” comes Key’s voice from behind. Key and Yubin hug and she hugs the other guys as well. TOP approaches her with GD by his side.

“You have now earned a spot in our department, Daegu girl.” TOP says with all humility. “You proved me wrong. You proved all of us wrong. You’re someone to look up to.”

“When everyone underestimated you and when we were just about ready to give up on you, you showed us what you’re made of and here you are, all glorious.” GD says.

“There is a new Official Pimp.” TOP says with a smile on his face. He fist bumps with Yubin and they walk out of the arena.


-0000-

Dreams, no matter how impossible they may seem to you or to others, can come true if you put your heart into it. These people faced all sorts of adversaries and so many obstacles got in their way but they never let these challenges knock them down. And now, they are as successful as can be.

-Tiffany Hwang.