Short

Apples

 


Sunlight shone through the window stirring Sehun from his sleep. He shot up and looked around the room for Suho. Finding it empty he ran into the lounge room looking for the note Suho would always leave. Sehun couldn’t find one anywhere. He check the front door and found Suho’s work shoes neatly placed in their normal spot which meant Suho didn’t return home. He stared at the door, like he was expecting Suho to just walk in the door saying he lost his train pass or something.

“Hyung!” Sehun yelled when he heard a knock at the door. He lunged to open the door. When he looked out and saw it was only Tao he was heartbroken.

“Sehun, what are you doing? We have school,” Tao asked. He looked at Sehun face, “Woh Sehun you look like ,” Tao commented. Sehun hadn’t moved since he opened the door so Tao was shocked when Sehun suddenly started crying, “Sehun! What wrong!” Tao started to panic that Sehun was hurt because it was the first time he had seen Sehun cry.

“H-hyung didn’t come home,” he sobbed falling to the ground, “What if he got hurt? What if he never comes back? He’s the only family I have!”

Tao lent down and hugged Sehun, “Sehun don’t worry, I’m sure you brother was just caught up and didn’t have time to come back,” he rubbed Sehun’s back trying to calm him down.

“He would’ve called,” Sehun defended his believe.

“Listen!” Tao said turning at Sehun’s head so he would be looking at him, “You’re thinking too much. Your brother is 23. He knows what he is doing. Okay?” Sehun nodded still not completely calm, “Now go get dressed. Suho won’t be happy if he found out you missed school,” Sehun nodded again and went to get ready. 10 minutes later he emerged fully dressed and looked a little better besides the red around his eyes. Tao tried to act like nothing was wrong. He linked arms with Sehun, “Lets go!” he sang and pulled Sehun to school.

They arrived at class 30 minutes late, so the two had detention at lunch. Tao kept a close eye on Sehun during the day. After school Tao tried to convince Sehun to go shopping with him but Sehun automatically shut him down. “Hyung might come home while I’m gone,” he explained.

Tao seemed skeptical about sending Sehun home alone. “Okay just call me if you need anything,”

Then something clicked with Sehun, “Call...” he ran off down the road, leaving Tao confused. Sehun searched through the phone table trying to find that one sheet of paper. At the back of the phonebook was the sheet of paper Suho had given his brother when he first started working. Sehun had never called it before so he was nervous to say the least. The phone rang for a second until a woman's electronic voice cut in. “The number you are trying to reach does not exist,” Sehun hung up the phone and check the paper making sure he called the same one. He even tried it another couple of times to make sure. Each time he got the same answer. So once again Sehun spent the night curled into a ball waiting for Suho.