What I loved was an old friend

The Last

 

What I loved was an old friend, but he was much more then that he was my confidant.

 

I had met Nichkhun when I first moved to Korea at the age of 17 just before my entry exam to university. He was a foreigner to he understood that it could be so difficult to understand people. Even though my parents were Korean and had taught me how to speak Korean growing up, the culture was completely different.  I struggled to keep up and at times felt like I was in a completely different world so far from the comfort of home.

 

He became my best friend, when I needed him he was there for me. Still is to this day. There were times when I thought no one would understand my true feelings, except for him of course. We became a couple that spent as much time as possible with each other.

 

It was hard to remember the exact time when I feel in love with him. He was training to be a singer and I was the young girl in Korea and constantly practicing my dancing. It came to a point where we would hardly see each other.  So the meetings we would have became all the more important.  He introduced me to all his friends as his best friend in the whole wide world, and then one day he said girlfriend before he realised he had done it. The butterflies in the stomach hadn’t stopped since that day.  

 

However we obviously weren’t meant to be. When his group debuted we saw each other less and less. He became close with the idol girl group members, and less time for the lowly girl who wished to be a choreographer.

 

“I think we should just leave our relationship as it was”. He looked at me in a state of disbelief.

“We never were a real couple anyway not in the way we should have been” I give him a sad smile. “We are better off as just friend. I don’t want to ruin the relationship we have. You are the closet person I have in Korea”

 

After discussing it with him we both decided it would be best to just let bygones be bygones. He taught me that love wasn’t just romantic. My love for him was a love of friendship, a love that can really overcome any kind of problems.

 

Our relationship pretty much shifted straight back to how it was before. There was no awkwardness between us even after everything that had happened. We promised that we would make sure that no matter what happened we would be together for ever, if not as a couple at least that of best friends.

 

We are still close to this day. You see him often. He has since married and had his own children but we still make time for each other to be together and do all the stupid little things best friends do.