Episode 2: Stage (Fright) Night (Part 1 of 2)

Not so Average

 

EPISODE 2

Stage Fright Night (1 of 2)

 

 

DAY 3 | 8:00 AM

 

Another morning=another day at the mansion.

 

The beauties and geeks were once again woken up by their unique alarm system.

This time TVXQ’s Mirotic was blasting on the speakers. The loud and upbeat rhythm definitely woke everyone up. 

 

“Good morning!!”, was heard the moment the song completely faded.

 

“Rise and shine beauties and geeks! Time to start the day with a dose of your second challenge.”, Tiffany announced.

 

“We’ll be expecting you guys in front of the grand stair case by 10 AM. Have your breakfast and be ready with your casual clothes. Arasso?”, Taeyeon followed.

 

“Oh, and ladies. Try not to be late. We’ll see you guys in two hours!”, Tiffany ended.

 

 

Most if the geeks were already inside their own bathrooms as their partners we’re still lying in bed; probably already dozing off back to sleep. Only a handful of beauties were up-Victoria, Yuri, Luna, and Seohyun; they were already starting to gather at the dining hall already served with their healthy breakfast.

 

AJ was already awake though was still trying to process if this was really happening.

 

“Uh, oppa… You… bathroom… first… ”

 

“What?”, he didn’t catch what the girl (still wrapped up in blankets) lying beside him said.

 

 “Sulli… Still… sleepy…”

 

He let out a yawn himself, letting out another sigh before finally taking a bath.

 

He didn’t forget to wake his partner up. AJ waited for Sulli before they went down to have breakfast together.

 

The dining room was bustling in conversation and giggles from the beauties who were fairly entertained with the still shy geeks.

 

“Good morning guys!”, Jo Kwon greeted. One of the geeks who already grew accustomed to their set-up.

 

“Hey AJ. Hey Sulli”, Nicole greeted the new arrivals.

 

“Annyeong!”, Sulli greeted back.

 

 

Just as AJ was about to take a bite at the stack of pancakes he got for himself another greeting was said to the last contestant making their way to the table.

 

“Hey, Krystal-shii. Good morning.”, Key greeted followed by the smiles of the rest.

 

Krystal could only give out a nod and a small smile.

 

“So I guess you’re not a morning person as well?”, Victoria started, but not forgetting to give out a smile.

 

“Anni…”, Krystal replied, but seeing as all eyes were on her she felt the need to maybe explain herself a little more.

 

“It’s just that… I’m still processing what’s happening. Like, I’m really here.”

 

“Ooh…”, sounds coming from her fellow contestants and nods from the others.

 

“Yeah. I guess this is still a little too much to take in huh?”,, Victoria replied.

 

 

 

FLASHBACK:
“Am!” “Amber!” “Ber!”

 

“Yo Am!”

 

The girl just went down to get a drink when she was spotted by her brother’s friends staying at their living room. The guys planned to hang around for a while after coming from the gym.

 

“What’s up Hyungs?”

 

Since Amber doesn’t hang out with anyone the only people she’s got closest to her own friends was her brother’s. Having moved from Los Angeles (when she was 18) to stay with her brother, you could say he practically raised her as well.

 

“Nothin’ much, just came from the gym.”, a guy named Siwon replied.

 

“Hmm, so that’s what this is.”

 

“What is?”, her brother asked.

 

“That wet dog smell.”, she replied with a teasing grin.

 

“Why you-”

 

Her brother pulled her down before placing her on a choke-hold.

 

He let go after the light laughter died down. 

 

“You should’ve come with us.”, a guy named Leeteuk added.

 

“You know guys know I don’t do exercise.”

 

“But you play with us.”

 

“Playing sports is different from going to the gym Hyungs.”,

 

“Anyway, I have to go. Got work to do, so… See you guys around.”

 

Before they even get the chance to retort, Amber was already out of their sight. This caused Donghae to let out a huge breath.

 

“Dude, work on a weekend? Ber seriously needs a boyfriend.”, a guy named Kangin spoke. Leeteuk instantly gave the guy a hit at the back of his head.

 

“What? She’s already 25!”, Kangin retorted.

 

“First off I don’t think Amber even needs or wants a boyfriend.”, Donghae stated making his friends nod.

 

“If you guys know what I mean.”, he continued.

 

 

“Oh. Ah…”

 

“So, a  girlfriend then?”, Siwon spoke with uncertainty.

 

“Yeah. There’s nothing wrong with that. So let’s get her a girlfriend.”, Kangin grinned ‘causing him to receive another hit from Leeteuk.

 

“Just… Amber needs a life outside of work in general…”, Donghae spoke with honesty.

 

“I just want her to be happy… But what can I do, when the girl’s barely sociable to anyone outside of us? ”, Donghae stated in defeat.

 

 

A minute passed by before the youngest among all of them finally spoke for the first time.

 

“I’ve got an idea.”, a guy named Kyuhyun said.

 

 

END OF FLASHBACK.

 

 

“AJ-oppa, are you done?”, Sulli broke the thoughts of her partner.

 

“Uh, yeah.”

 

 

 

DAY 3 | 10:00 AM

 

The beauties and geeks were called to gather in front of the grand stair case just like the time they choose partners.

 

This time they we’re just met by the PDs and staff telling them to wait of the bus that was going to pick them up to their destination.

 

“That’s sad. I thought we were going to see Taeny again.”, Jo Kwon stated as he got inside the bus.

 

“Who’s Taeny?”, his partner Seohyun was curious.

 

“Taeyeon and Tiffany. Haven’t you heard of their OTP?”, Jo Kwon asked.

 

“Uh, no I haven’t.. Cute name though.”

 

“I know right!”, Key butted in as he passed by.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll be seeing them, since they are the MCs after all.”, Seohyun added with a giggle after seeing the pout of her partner.

 

 

“Wohoo! Road trip!”, Shindong said aloud after settling in his seat.

 

“Kill me. Kill me now.”, Jiyoung softly muttered as they settled at the last row.

 

“You guys know that nobody told us we’re required to sit with our partners, right?”, Gyuri stated being the first one to settle down on a seat. She sat behind the PDs who sat after the driver of the bus.

 

“Oh my gosh really??”, Jiyoung spoke excitedly; finally getting her mood back up.

 

“Yes.”, Suzy confirmed.

 

“But why is everyone sitting with their partners?!”, Jiyoung spoke after observing everyone.

 

“’Cause we want too.”, Heechul said with a grin towards his partner Hyuna, but she was more interested at her nail polish.

 

“You’re stuck with me.”, Shindong spoke with a -eating grin.

 

 

“Can somebody just wake me up when we get there?! I’m gonna sleep.”, Jiyoung announced to everyone, producing giggles.

 

“Aw! But I wanna bond with you Jiyoungie!”, Shindong retorted.

 

“I can’t hear you when I’m sleeping.”, Jiyoung muttered making Shindong pout and just cross his arms.

 

 

“Would there be food when we get there?”, Shindong asked after a while.

 

 

“Everyone settle down. We’re leaving in a minute.”, one of the crews announced.

 

 

Krystal and Taemin were the last to board. They sat across Sulli and AJ. Having the guys settle at the isle seats.

 

 

 

“K-Kr-Krystal-shii?”

 

“Neh?”

 

Krystal was still not comfortable with her partner; though she rarely sympathizes with anyone outside her family, Taemin was an exception.

 

As much as possible she tried to give a smile to not intimidate the guy.

 

Taemin was showing her a thumbs-up with a questioning expression.

 

“Are you asking if I’m okay?”

 

Taemin nodded with a small smile.

 

“Neh. I’m fine.”, she gave out a genuine smile.

 

“Thanks for asking.”

 

For the first time she saw Taemin smiling.

 

 

 

 

DAY 3 | 10:30 AM

 

The “Beauty and Geek” bus arrived in front of a building; a hotel to be exact.

 

A sign greeted them indicating there was a job fair happening.

 

 

“Boo!”

 

Everyone was surprised at the sound behind them.

 

It was finally their hosts-Taeny.

 

“Hey everyone! Great to see you guys arrived safely. Kindly forgive Taeyeon for being such a geek sometimes.”, Tiffany greeted.

 

“Yah! Being a geek is cute. Right?”, Taeyeon replied pertaining towards the guys.

 

“Anyway, we’re just trying to make you guys relax. Today will be the start of your second challenge.”, Taeyeon continued.

 

“Can you guys guess what it’ll be?”, Tiffany asked, but not forgetting to let out an eye smile.

 

“As you guys can see, we are in the middle of a hotel lobby currently accommodating a job fair. This job fair for those of you who have no idea, is one of the largest conventions held in this country every year. Tons of speakers at the top of their professions are invited to share what they know and what they do and everything they’ve accomplished.”, Tiffany finished.

 

“On your first challenge we were able to assess your current mental capability and knowledge. Now, if you didn’t get Fany’s point, let’s just say your next challenge would test you on your public speaking skills.” Taeyeon said.

 

 “But take note, though the beauty challenge would be different from the geeks’ the key of the game is team work. Don’t be afraid to seek the help of your partner or to help your partner if he or she needs you. If one fails, the other fails with them; and if one wins a challenge to get immunity, then the same goes with their partner.”, Taeyeon further explained.

 

 

“Everyone has the entire day to roam around and observe the speakers who interests you or topics that get your attention. Try to take in what you learn and analyze how the speakers deliver their presentation. ”, Tiffany spoke once again.

 

“Here are the pamphlets and brochures citing the schedules and rooms of every speaker. The topics could go on to Publishing to Nutrition to Economics. Yeah, that’s already a lot to take in. So choose wisely and try to attend as much seminars as you can.”, Taeyeon spoke while giving out the guide materials.

 

 

“Fighting!!”, Taeny  cheered before letting the contestants be.

 

 

 

“Hey, there’s one about the graphic industry.”, Eunhyuk spoke, not pertaining to anyone in particular; though his partner heard nonetheless.

 

“You wanna check it out?”, Nicole asked nicely only to get a shy nod from Eunhyuk.

 

 

 

“Oppa, which speaker do you wanna see?”, Sulli asked AJ.

 

As much as he wanted to go see that seminar about Nano-chips (SD cards) and aside from knowing how famous the speaker was in the IS (information system) industry , he opted to choose something simpler that Sulli can comprehend. Not that he was underestimating her, but better to be sure; after all the next challenge was about public speaking.

 

“Uh… Whatever interests you…”, he spoke while rubbing his beanie cap covered head.

 

“Hmm, I really wanna see this thing about Nano-nanochips.”, Sulli spoke with an innocent smile.

 

“Well, cause I think it’s kinda related to your job. I wanna know you more you know.”

 

AJ couldn’t help but smile at that. Sulli was a very considerate partner.

 

“Okay, if that’s what you want… But are you really sure?”

 

“There’s also this presentation about the Airline industry.”

 

“Please, I probably know those things already. So what’s the point in learning what you already know?”

 

“Okay.”, AJ smiled.

 

 

 

“Vic-noona. Where do you wanna go?”, Key asked.

 

“Hmm, do you wanna go see that speaker from the Silk retail something?”, Victoria asked back.

 

“Might as well though. Just as long as it’s related to clothes and fashion I’m up for it.”, Key commented.

 

“Yeah I know.”, Victoria giggled.

 

“I can’t believe they told us to wear casual clothes though. Everyone here aside from us is so dang formal. Gosh. I feel so underdressed!”, Key complained making Victoria laugh.

 

“I know right! Only Minho’s dressed just right.”

 

“Ha! I think that’s just casual clothes for him.”, Key humored.

 

“Can you imagine what he’ll wear to his wedding?”, Victoria humored back.

 

Key through his giggles was able to reply, “I bet he wears the exact same outfit he has to the gym!”

 

 

Most of the girls were wearing casual clothes from jeans, jean shorts, leggings, to baby doll dresses, and casual tops. While the guys stuck to their everyday outfits composed of baggy/skinny jeans (for Key and Jo Kwon), and, shirts and hoodies. Minho was the only one who looked formal-wearing some khakis and crisp polo shirt which he tucked inside his pants.

 

 

“Jo Kwon-shii, where do you wanna go?”, Seohyun asked her partner.

 

“To be honest, I really have a feeling that this would be just about the beauties. I think every challenge involving knowledge would be associated to you guys.”, Jo Kwon commented.

 

“Hmm, you have a point there. So let’s say that it’s true, do you think we should go for the most complicated or advanced seminar?”, Seohyun replied.

 

“Ooh! Let’s!”, Jo Kwon replied excitedly without thinking.

 

“So should we go for the Mining or Pharmaceutical industry speakers?”

 

 

 

“So, where do you wanna go?”, Krystal asked her partner, seeing that most of the contestants already went off on their own.

 

Taemin pointed to her before saying, “D-decide?”

 

“I’ll decide?”, Krystal asked with a smile to which Taemin nodded.

 

“Anything?”, Krystal asked again, while Taemin just nodded again.

 

“Hmm, how about this thing about Farming Technology?”, Krystal smirked trying to tease Taemin.

 

He didn’t say a word, but Krystal saw him gulping which was enough to make her giggle.

 

“I’m just joking Taemin. Hmm, here.. Do you wanna see this seminar about the industry of video gaming?”

 

“N-neh.”, Taemin said with a nod.

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------

INTERVIEW SESSIONS:

 

SULLI

PD: Why did you let AJ choose?
Sulli: ‘Cause he’s smart and I trust him.

PD: Really? You already trust him.

Sulli: Of course! He’s really nice and my instuition are great when it comes to people.

PD: You mean ‘intuition’?

Sulli: Exactly!

 

AJ

PD: Sulli said she already trusts you. What can you say about that?

AJ: Ah, cincha?

PD: Neh. Why do think so?

AJ: I don’t know… I guess ‘cause I’m nice to her?

PD: So you’re saying not everyone’s nice to her?

AJ: Did I say that?

 

VICTORIA

PD: Were you able to understand the course that was thought?

Vic: At first I thought it would be boring, but it wasn’t. I learned a lot from the Silk industry. Did you know that silk comes from bugs? I mean worms. Kinda gross if you think about it.

PD: Uh huh… So can you tell us more about your relationship with your partner?

Vic: Oh! Like I said, Key’s a cool guy. We really connect when it comes to clothes. Just fashion in general.

PD: Don’t you think he’s kind of a diva?
Vic: Please! He’s nothing compared to some of the girls around the house.

PD: Are you trying to imply something?

Vic: [Smirks innocently] Am I?

 

KEY

PD: A while ago, you sort of criticized Minho’s fashion.

Key: [Diva laugh] Oh, did I? Hmm, I don’t think so.

PD: Yes, with Victoria. We even got a clip of you guys poking some fun at him.

Key: C’mon! Did you see the way he dresses? He’s even more formal than the Professor (Kyuhyun)! And that says a lot. Even just hanging around the house, he’d be all dressed up!

PD: Are you jealous?

Key: Hell nah. Maybe I’m still upset ‘cause you made us feel so underdressed at the job fair. It was a job fair for God’s sake! So embarrassing to stand out for the wrong reason. And talk about being seen by those professionals while were at the audience. Talk about--

 

JIYOUNG

PD: How are you and Shindong?

Ji: Can we please just change partners again? Please! See I even prepared another set of straws the girls can pick.

PD: Sorry. All teams are final. But do tell us about what you learned in the job fair.

Ji: Oh my God! Talk about being surrounded by nerds. He made me listen to that speaker talking about video games. I don’t even play Floppy bird!

 

SHINDONG

PD: So how are you and Jiyoung getting along?

Shin: We’re getting along great!

PD: She keeps insisting that you guys switch teams again.

Shin: Really? Oh, she’s just kidding you guys! That girl can be such a joker! She really should be in one of those variety shows.

 

KRYSTAL

PD: You and Taemin really look like you’re getting along well.

Krys: Yeah. He still can be a bit shy, but then again most of the guys are.

PD: Did you learn a lot from the job fair?

Krys: Yeah, of course. I’d be lying if I said I was initially interested in seminars we attended, but everything was interesting.

PD: You seem to have considered Taemin’s interest when it came to choosing what seminars to attend to.

Krys: Of course, we’re partners right?

 

TAEMIN

PD: What are your thoughts about getting to know Krystal?

Tae: [Writes down] She’s very nice, very smart and humble.

PD: Woah. Seems like you’re already prepared. [Points to marker and notepad on his lap]

Tae: [Writes] Krystal thought about it when I told her.

PD: You’re still nervous in front of the camera?

Tae: [Nods]

 

NICOLE

PD: How are you and Euhyuk?

Nic: Uh, we’re getting there.

PD: Is it still awkward?

Nic: Though, there’s still that awkwardness I think we’re just trying to make each other more comfortable. Italy wasn’t built in a day you know.

PD: But Italy’s a country.

Nic: Oh you guys get what I’m saying! Things take time.

 

EUNHYUK

PD: So how are you and Nicole?

Hyuk: We’re fine.

PD: She’s very friendly as we noticed.

Hyuk: Yeah she is. Total opposite but I can tell she’s trying.

PD: So you like her?

Hyuk: What’s not to like? They’re all pretty man.

 

SEOHYUN

PD: What do you think about the seminar?

Seo: Everything was insightful so thank you for that experience.

PD: You really love learning don’t you?

Seo: Of course. Our minds were made to use- so we could learn and absorb.

PD: What was your favorite topic?

Seo: Nothing in particular. Though I think we should’ve attended more.

 

JO KWON

PD: What do you think about the job fair?

Kwon: Two words: Bor-ing

PD: Seohyun seemed to like it.

Kwon: Oh my God! Tell me about it. That girl’s a total nerd.

PD: You think she can be one of you guys?

Kwon: Definitely! I think she if didn’t look so beautiful she could audition for a girl geek.

 

 

--------------------------------------------

 

 

 

DAY 3 | 4:00 PM

 

The beauties and geeks had a chance to finish the job fair, with most of them having attended at least three seminars/presentations.

 

When the day ended and got inside the bus, they thought that they were gonna be brought back to the mansion already. Unfortunately, they were taken to a popular place.

 

Turned out to be a comedy bar.

 

On the way there they passed by a billboard/advertising ad of Eco-cosmetics. This made Krystal think about her family- her older sister in particular.

 

 

FLASHBACK:
“Oh my God Jess! You didn’t!”

 

“I’m sorry, I had no choice.”

 

“How could you?!”

 

“C’mon Krys. It’s for your own good.”

 

“How is this for my own good??”

 

“You need a life. You’ve become so anti-sociable.”

 

“Jess, you know I’ve been like this since we we’re kids. You’re my best friend, and I’m yours.”

 

“Yeah. But this is different! I have my own set of friends. Do you? You barely talk to others, not unless it’s work related or it’s me, Mom and Dad.”

 

 

“Look, what’ve you got to lose?”

 

“Everything’s settled. You’re already picked as one of the contestants. And I’ve already asked Mom and Dad about your temporary leave at work.”

 

“And they’re fine with it?”

 

“Yeah, why wouldn’t they? They’re just as concerned as me you know.”

 

“[Sigh] I really don’t get why I need to do this. I mean, I’m happy with my life.”

 

“Are you really Krys? Can you honestly say that you’re happy?”

 

“Being alone is not happy Krystal and don’t go telling me that you have us. You’ll always have us ‘cause we’re family. But what if the time comes and you lose us? Then what’ve you got?”

 

END OF FLASHBACK.

 

 

 

“Hey guys!” “Annyeong!”, Tiffany greeted along with Taeyeon.

 

“We are currently in one of the most popular comedy bars here in Seoul.”, Tiffany continued.

 

“I bet you’re all wondering what we’re doing here, right? Well, since the second challenge involves public speaking then this would be another example of that. So before anything else, let’s all sit back and enjoy the show.”. Taeyeon finished.

 

 

The day ended for the contestants as they returned from the comedy bar.

Though tomorrow would be all serious business for them because they have to prepare for the upcoming challenge, the laughter they got was a nice ending to their day.

 

------------------------------------------

Just a sneak-peek for the next update:

 

DAY 4 | 10:00 AM

 

Preparation day.

 

The contestants were given a day off to prepare for their upcoming challenge.

Everyone was gathered in one of the study halls of the mansion.

 

Earlier at breakfast, they started to discuss the possibilities of their challenges. All in all they’ve come up that the public speaking challenge for beauties would be the same as the presentations they attended at the job fair and as for the geeks would be like a stand-up comedy. Since most, if not all of the girls lacked any experience in formal and descriptive/persuasive public speaking while all of the guys just lacked confidence in front of a big audience.

 

 

Their theory was eventually confirmed by the PDs.

 

 

After everyone equipped themselves, they decided to hand around the Jacuzzi and the pool.

 

“You guys wanna play Truth or Dare?”, Nicole challenged.

 

“Geez, these girls really like playing games.”, Heechul spoke only to his fellow geeks.

 

“Is there any drinking involved?”, Kyuhyun asked.

 

“Maybe, maybe not.”, Gyuri answered.

 

 

“I don’t think it would be wise to do that having a challenge the next day.”, Onew suggested.

 

“Okay, no drinks. But that only means the dares and truths get twice as challenging.”, Luna teased.

 

“Living with these girls is already challenging.”, Jonghyun muttered 

 

“Yah. I heard that.”, Suzy said to her partner.

 

 

Truth or Dare.

 

“Truth.”

 

“Who’s your crush inside the mansion?”

 

“No one.”

 

“You can’t answer that, there has to be someone.”

 

“How ‘bout who in the house do you find pretty?”

 

“That’s another question already.”

 

“Oh just answer already oppa!”

 

“I think everyone here’s beautiful.”

 

“Arrgh fine. Let’s move on. Geez, AJ.”

 

 

“Truth.”

 

“Who do you think is the most good-looking geek?”

 

“A-AJ.”, She spoke through her fake cough.

 

“I dare you to kiss someone- on the lips!”

 

“Is it, okay with you?”

 

“It’s a dare. No need to ask.”

 

“Oh my God. We said kiss. Not make out!”