Episode 1: When Beauty Meets a Geek (Part 3 of 4)

Not so Average

 

EPISODE 1

 

When Beauty meets a Geek (3 of 4)

 

DAY 1 | 11:30 AM

 

“I choose you.”

 

 

You’d think everything was settled. But after the PDs dropped the bomb, debates and countless comebacks were fired to who goes first.

 

The PDs were about to interrupt when a certain someone screamed out loud. This didn’t go unheard of by the guys waiting on the other side of the hallway. Everyone was seriously caught off guard if not frightened.

 

“Will you all shut up?!”, came from none other than Krystal.

 

“B*tch.”, someone muttered anonymously.

 

She exhaled some air out to cool her fume before starting to speak once again with a calmer voice this time, “Why don’t we just draw straws? The shortest one goes last.”

 

“Oh, and I heard that.”, she disclosed making another wave of shivers with how cold she expressed.

 

Everyone agreed as much as they don’t want to. It was an excellent suggestion and, the logical and civil thing to do.

 

 

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany reappeared once the girls figured out the order of choosing partners. But this time they could only be seen at the big flat screen TVs at the center of each waiting room.

 

“Hey ladies.”, Tiffany beamed.

 

“And gentlemen.”, Taeyeon followed with her own.

 

 

“Are you guys ready for the next step? Y’all know what’s coming next, right?”, Tiffany beamed once again.

 

“It’s now time for the official pairings!”, Taeyeon joined. “Now, as we told you guys earlier, the girls have the power to choose their partner.  I’m betting the guys are more excited about this right? I can tell just by your introductions.” This made the girls laugh and the rest of the crew remembering how almost every guy stuttered with nervousness.

 

Tiffany went with the joke, “Definitely! I can feel their excitement even if we can’t see their expressions.“

 

With utmost coincidence, every guy gulped in uneasiness.

 

Tiffany continued, “Now, going back, the girls are to walk over to the other side of their curtain over to the geeks’ waiting room. As you do, you are to state the name of the geek you’ve chosen as your partner. Then you guys may proceed upstairs to pick which room you guys wanna stay at.”

 

“Take note, your pairings would remain until the end of the show and the room you will pick will be your permanent bedrooms, also for the rest of the show.”, Tayeon explained further.

 

“Now, for the first beauty, you may now make your way back to where our geeks are waiting in anticipation.”

 

Sulli was the first to stand up. As she made her way outside of their room, surprisingly nothing came out from the mouth of each girl. They were also in anticipation of who will be the first geek picked.

 

As Sulli made her way out, she was met by none other than the two hosts from SNSD who were standing before the grand staircase. She gave the host a bow before entering the curtain dividing the guys from the hallway.

 

Annyeonghaseyo! It’s me again, Sulli.”, she beamed before giving out a bow.

 

“Hmm…”, she made a cute gesture of puffing her cheeks and placing a finger on her chin; an expression definitely to die for.

 

Every movement made by Sulli was watched by careful eyes of not just the guys she was facing but also the girls who were watching her on the large screen inside their room.

 

“I chose… I chose you.. AJ!”, she giggled.

 

“Would you do me the honor of being my partner?”, she asked cutely.

 

AJ stood up from his seat before making his way in front and beside her, “Uh, sure.. Thank you for picking me.”

 

“Yey!” Sulli beamed once again before she grabbing AJ’s hand and leading him outside.

 

 

Unknown to the two the first couple groans were heard from both side of the room.

The guys were expressing envy of not being the first guy picked but still very anxious of who gets picked next. While the girls were groaning in complaint as the only ‘cute’ guys was already unavailable.

 

Even Krystal was admittedly disappointed, but she made sure not to show it.

 

FLASHBACK:
Everyone gasped (except the ever composed Krystal of course) at the bubbly girl who was carrying a huge smile as she raised her stick; obviously and easily the longest straw.

 

END OF FLASHBACK.

 

Sulli and AJ made their way outside and were met by the hosts who instructed them to go upstairs and pick their room. Their luggage was already upstairs. All they had to do was place them inside the room then make their way back down stairs where they will wait for the other couples.

 

The second girl Gyuri chose the professor- Kyuhyun, thinking that he has an advantage over brains above every other ‘geek’; with her main motivation in mind-winning the show.

 

Third geek picked was Onew who was chosen by Luna. She actually found him a charming. Onew also found the short beauty charming and charismatic. He was nervous but very flattered being picked by one of his crushes.

 

The fourth beauty to choose was the Chinese beauty queen Victoria.

 

 FLASHBACK:
The eldest of the beauties was sulking as she happened to pick the shortest straw, which only meant she was last in choosing a partner. Krystal being the courteous girl she is actually found Victoria lovely as to the way she carried herself and how she treated everyone with equal respect. She offered her own straw and they made a trade.

 

“You sure it’s okay for you to be last?”

 

“Yes, Victoria-sshi.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Krystal gave a small smile, before she heard the older girl speaking, “Call me ‘Unnie’ from now on okay?”

 

They smile to each other before giving their attention to the screen in front of them.

 

END OF FLASHBACK.

 

 

Victoria ended up picking Key, being one of the guys who didn’t stutter in their introduction. She actually wanted to pick AJ but also found Key charming in his own ‘diva’ way. Key was surprisingly shy but confident at the same time. He was sociable with the plus of having knowledge in fashion; thus catching the eye of the Chinese beauty. Either way actually, she doesn’t care about who she gets paired up with as long as they get along well.

 

 

Fifth beauty to pick was the y gym trainer Yuri. She picked Minho on account off he was the only one who looked like he played sports. She requires her partner to at least look physically well so they could get along better.

 

Seohyun picked Jo Kwon as she found the guy funny. Jo Kwon was only shy at first, but was actually very sociable and funny. She mostly preferred her top picks as: Kyuhyun, AJ and Minho based solely on their occupations (and IQ levels). She would pick Key as well because it would make a good contrast with her being a bit awkward and quiet. Taemin (chess champion) almost made it on her list of prospects based on his IQ, but his inability to speak gave it away.

 

   

The next one was the college student Suzy, she picked Jonghyun the most ‘less-threatening’ and ‘weird’ among the remaining geeks. Taemin again would’ve made it but his stuttering gave it away once again.

 

Eighth beauty to choose was Hyuna. She made a few laughs by picking the ‘’ Heechul.

 

 

“Hey, it’s Hyuna once again.”

 

The remaining four guys gulped as iness and charisma was oozing from the girl in front of them. She bit her lip before turning to Heechul with almost an aggressive stare.

 

“I want someone that could learn a lot from me. So I pick you Heechul.”

 

“We’ll definitely make an interesting pair.”, she laughed as she grabbed Heechul’s hand who was still sitting down on his seat, still not taking in what happened.

 

With only three guys left, Nicole picked Eunhyuk though he seemed scary and anti-sociable it was better than choosing a ‘mute’ and a ‘fat ert’.

 

Jiyoung was the next beauty to pick who didn’t even hide her disappointment as she made her way to the two geeks waiting for her picking.

 

She was torn, but ended up picking Shindong who definitely made sure to express his happiness.

 

“Yes!!!”, everyone outside heard, as well as Krystal who was the only one left among the beauties.

 

Laughter erupted the moment Shindong and Jiyoung went out of the room. Shindong was doing fist-pumps and a dance move from Super Junior’s “Sorry Sorry” as he sang, “I wasn’t picked last. I wasn’t picked last.”

 

Jiyoung could only follow out of the room with a sigh.

 

“You may now go upstairs and pick your rooms.”, Tiffany spoke while trying to tone down her giggles.

 

The other ‘couples’ were already standing in front of the stairs waiting for the last couple.

 

“Nice.”, Heechul gave Shindong a high five as he passed by, while the other beauties could only give Jiyoung sympathetic looks

 

“Augh. I should’ve picked the mute one. This one’s too much.”, Jiyoung muttered as she made her way up the stairs with the paired beauties and geeks making way for them.

 

“Come one Jiyoungie~ Let’s pick our room!”, Shindong screamed, already at the top of the stairs.

 

Jiyoung could only slap her forehead in anxiety.

 

“What an interesting pair.”, Taeyeon expressed.

 

“Well, it’s not just them. As you can see all of our beauty and geek pairs are!”, Tiffany added.

 

“Yeah, definitely an interesting bunch of people… Hmm, now for our last couple…”, Taeyeon spoke.

 

“Krystal, you may now meet your partner.”

 

Krystal stood up and gave out a sigh before showing herself in front of everyone.

 

I hope I made the right decision.”, she thought as she entered the room with the lonely geek.

 

“Hey, there Taemin.”, she gave out a small smile to the guy who was trying to hide his devastation of being picked last.

 

“Are you okay with us being partners?”, she asked as Taemin who still had his head bowed.

 

Taemin could only nod in response.

 

“Well you better be, ‘cause you’re stuck with me.”, Krystal gave a genuine smile making Taemin look up at her.

 

“C’mon then. Everyone’s waiting for us.”

 

Krystal patted him on the back as they made their way outside.

 

And for the first time since the ‘picking of the pairs’ Taemin returned a smile.

 

 

--------------------------------------------

INTERVIEW SESSIONS:

 

SULLI

PD: How did you feel when you got picked to choose first?
Sulli: Happy of course but I feel kinda bad for the other guys.

PD: Why?

Sulli: I don’t know, I just do...

PD: Who would you have chosen if you didn’t pick AJ.

Sulli: I don’t know… But I feel like I definitely made the right choice. AJ’s the best! He doesn’t talk much but he’s such a gentleman. He always asks me what I want, offers me food, opens the door..

 

AJ

PD: What did you feel when you got picked first?

AJ: Surprised.

PD: Why?

AJ: I don’t know… I just didn’t expect to get picked first. It feels good.. and flattering of course.

PD: What do you think about your beauty?

AJ: She’s nice. Cute too.

PD: You like her?

AJ: Anniyo…S-she’s like a sister for me.

PD: So she calls you ‘Oppa’?

AJ: [Blushes] Anniyo…

       Uh, are we done?

 

VICTORIA

PD: You were supposed to pick last, what happened?

Vic: Krystal was nice enough to trade me her position. She’s really nice. To be honest, I judged her.. I thought she was cold and a bit mean. But she’s really not.

PD: So are you two friends now?

Vic: Yeah, I guess so. Though this is a reality show and a competition, I don’t really think that could get in a way of forming friendship around the house.

PD: How about you and your partner’s closeness?
Vic: Oh, we’re definitely a lot closer now. Key’s the best!

        He’s like a sister and a guy-best friend all in one!

 

KEY

PD: What can you say about the pairings?

Key: Ohh, it’s gon’ be interesting!

PD: What do you think about your partner?

Key: Oh, Vicky? She’s the best. She’s like my new BFF, but she sometimes acts like my Umma, ‘cause she thinks like one!

PD: Who do you think’s your biggest competition?

Key: Uh, I don’t know. I can’t tell yet. But I’m keeping an eye on Minho, he seems competitive.

 

JIYOUNG

PD: You mentioned earlier that you might’ve regret making your decision?

Ji: I dunno. But I’m getting used to it.

PD: Oh so you’re fine with it?

Ji: I guess. [Sigh] I think he’s okay for a guy. A bit fat and loud, but okay.

PD: So you’re sticking with Shindong even if we give you a chance to pick another geek?

Ji: [Beams, being hopeful] Oh, can you do that?

 

SHINDONG

PD: What do you think about your beauty?

Shin: She’s hot man!

PD: What else do you like about her?

Shin: Uh, [Scratches head] She’s hot man!

PD: How are you getting along with her?

Shin: We’re good ‘cause she’s hot man.

PD: Do you have anything else to say other than ‘she’s hot’?

Shin: Uhm [Thinks], when’s lunch?

 

KRYSTAL

PD: It’s nice to see how well you tried to cheer up Taemin with him being the last geek. Were you satisfied with the results?

Krys: He’s a nice guy. So why wouldn’t I be?

PD: If you were given a choice to pick, who among the geeks would it be?

Krys: I like Taemin, so I’d pick him again.

PD: But you didn’t know he was going to be your partner, so if you were given a chance to pick someone who would it be?

Krys: You guys are really persistent, aren’t you?

          To be honest… I really don’t care.  [She thought] Anyone would be good.

          So are we done?

 

TAEMIN

PD: What are your thoughts about being picked last?

Tae: [Just shrugs his shoulders]

PD: Are you happy with Krystal?

Tae: [Just nods]

PD: What do you think about her?

Tae: S-she’s n-nice…