Episode 1: When Beauty Meets a Geek (Part 4 of 4)

Not so Average

 

EPISODE 1

When Beauty meets a Geek (4 of 4)

 

DAY 2 | 8:00 AM

 

Rise and shine beauties and geeks!

 

They were all woken up by the sound of SNSD’s Kissing You. A nice way to wake up but not when you have alcohol still in your systems.

 

But unknown to them the ‘party’ was actually part of a challenge; their first challenge. It tested how well they interact and socialize with new people.

 

 

 

Everyone looked disoriented as they made their way out of the mansion and into the ‘beauty and the geek’ bus. They were onto their first challenge.

 

 

DAY 2 | 9:00 AM

 

They arrived in front of a building which looked like a school. As they got inside they were led to an empty classroom.

 

 

As they got themselves seated, the two hosts walked in one wearing a teacher’s attire (Tiffany) and one wearing a student’s attire (Taeyeon).

 

“Hey guys, or should I say ‘Hey, class’.”, Tiffany greeted.

 

“Hey classmates!”, Taeyeon followed creating giggles with her cute outfit.

 

“All right! So who among you has any idea of what we’re doing here?”, Tiffany asked.

 

“Yes, Shindong.”, Tiffany called the geek who slowly raised his hand because no one wanted to answer.

 

“I think you’re going to teach us.”, Shindong answered. Creating laughter among everyone.

 

“Hmm. Oh! Because of what I’m wearing? Well.. Not quite. Another guess? From the beauties this time.”

 

“Yes, Yuri?”, Taeyeon called out as she was one of the girls that raised their hand along with Sulli, Luna and Jiyoung.

 

“We’re having an exam? Maybe?”, she answered unsurely.

 

“Hmm, nice guess. But that is correct!”, Taeyeon smiled.

 

“Right here we have two envelopes each carrying different exams. One designed for the geeks and one for the beauties. ”, Tiffany told as she held one envelope and Taeyeon held the other.

 

“The exam for the beauties are specifically designed to test your intellectual abilities about the basic academics-logic, abstract and reasoning, language, science and mathematics.”, Taeyeon explained which earned groans from most of the ladies after hearing what the exam was about.

 

“The exam for the geeks are specifically designed to analyze your social skills and your knowledge in pop culture… So with that here are your exams.”, Tiffany ended as both of them laid down the test papers ready to pass them.

 

“The test will take about a total of 5 hours each category divided into specific time. You are to answer each part with the designated time frame before going onto the next part.  Now, gentlemen, if you may follow me to a different classroom.”, Taeyeon explained.

 

 

 

After a grueling 5 hours and 1 hour of checking the papers.

 

The contestants were now back together in one classroom waiting for the announcement of their scores.

 

“Wow, I must say most of you did a good job in answering the test.”, Tiffany spoke.

 

“Most of you passed. But unfortunate for some, well… you all know what that means, so I suggest you all do your best next time.”, Taeyeon encouraged.

 

“That’s right. But onto the good news. Our top scorers for the beauties!”, Tiffany beamed.

 

“With a score of 94% Seohyun!”, Tiffany gave her test paper along with a handshake.

 

“Second and thirds highest scores for the beauties were 92% and 89% from Krystal and Suzy!”, Taeyeon followed mimicking Tiffany’s earlier action.

 

“Now, onto our geeks. The highest score was better than the beauties getting a 96%. This test goes to none other than Key!”, Tiffany congratulated.

 

“The second highest score goes to Onew, getting a score of 93%. Followed by Kyuhyun and Jo Kwon tied with the score of 91%. Congratulations you guys. ”, Taeyeon spoke.

 

 

All of the papers were returned to their owners. AJ would’ve made it if ‘he’ did better in the category of ‘latest fashion trends’. He got a score of 90% better than the rest of the geeks.  

 

“W-wow… Y-y-you d-did g-good.”, Taemin whispered to AJ as he saw the score on his paper. They were sitting beside each other. “You did good too.”

 

“N-n-not r-really, y-you’re way b-better A-A-J.”

 

“Thanks. Hopefully you can do better next time.”, AJ whispered back beside him before giving a quick glance to the beauty on the other side of Taemin. He was impressed to find how smart Krystal was.

 

 

“Now onto the good news everyone.”, Tiffany beamed.

 

“What? I thought that was it!”, Taeyeon exaggerated as a joke.

 

“No silly!” Tiffany spoke as she gave her partner a pinch on her cheek.

 

“The good news is, there would be no elimination for this challenge! “, everyone let out claps and cheers after hearing what Tiffany said.

 

“Plus the team with the highest scores would be safe from the first elimination. ”, she continued.

 

“Ooh! So Seohyun and Key’s teams would have like immunity?”, Taeyeon expressed.

 

Neh!

 

 

 

DAY 2 | 5:00 PM

 

The contestants just arrived back to the ‘beauty and the geek’ mansion. They were all exhausted mentally after the exam.

 

They were told that tomorrow would be the announcement of their second challenge.

 

“Wow, so you’re actually pretty smart Krystal.”, Jiyoung spoke as they entered the house.

 

Krystal wasn’t sure if she was going to be offended or not, but based on Jiyoung’s personality she knew it meant no harm. It was just a mere complement; not just spoken in a proper way.

 

 “Wow, that was so draining ‘oppa’.”, they all turned heads as to who spoke the said ‘oppa’. Turns out it was the most innocent among the beauties.

 

“D-did you just call AJ-sshi ‘oppa’?”, Nicole asked the younger beauty.

 

“A-are you okay with that?”, Onew whispered towards his friend as they all made their way to the dining area of the mansion.

 

“Of course he’s okay with that! Who wouldn’t be?”, Minho spoke as he placed a shoulder around the two guys after over hearing their conversation.

 

“What? He’s older than me. ”, Sulli answered casually.

 

“Sulli-sshi has a point.”, Jiyoung joined.

 

The beauties and geeks were getting ready for their dinner already prepared by a professional chef.

 

 

“AJ’s nice.”, Sulli smiled as she sat across her partner who was now blushing with all the attention.

 

 

FLASHBACK:
“Am.”

 

“Am!”

 

“Amber!”

 

“W-What?”

 

“I’ve been calling you like ten times already.”

 

“You’re exaggerating Dong.”

 

“Wait!”

 

“What?”

 

“Come on. Let’s go out! Me and my friends are going to the new club.”

 

“I’m busy Hyung.”

 

“Busy with what? You’re music? You already have a job Am.”

 

“[Sigh] I’m.. I’m not in the mood okay.”

 

“I’m sorry. You know I don’t mean it like that. But you have to go out sometime… [Sigh] You’re already an adult. Live your life… “

 

“But I am living it…”

 

“No Am… you’re not… At first I thought it was just a phase, with you and you’re music… You’re hobbies… You need to live your life… Go and have friends…”

 

“I do have friends.”

 

“No. You’re colleagues are not your friends. They’re just acquaintances. And my friends are an exception”

 

“You need to have fun.”

 

“But-”

 

“No Am… Are you actually telling me that you have fun?”

 

“[Sigh] Being alone is not fun Am.”

 

“[Sigh] But I have you…”

 

“You’ll always have me. ‘Cause I’m your big brother. But you need to have someone outside of me. outside of your world.”

 

“[Sigh] I might be home a little late so just lock up and don’t wait for me.”

 

Just as he was about to leave, “You’re nice Am… Anyone would be lucky to know you.”

 

END OF FLASHBACK.

 

 

“Aww! He’s actually blushing.”, Nicole let out making it worse. And starting the laughter and teasing from everyone.

 

“So what do you guys think would be our challenge for tomorrow?”, Yuri asked, changing the topic.

 

“My guess is, we’d have to do some sporty stuff and you girls would do something nerdy.”, Jonghyun answered.

 

“That’s actually a good guess.”, Victoria expressed also thinking about what tomorrow will bring for them.

 

“So Krystal-sshi, I’m actually curious.. You’re a spokes-model right?”, Gyuri spoke as she wanted to know more about the girl she deemed as her competition.

 

“Yeah…”, Krystal said with a smile.

 

“For what company?”, Kyuhyun asked also interested.

 

 

FLASHBACK:
“Come on Soojung. Loosen up a bit… Have some fun.”

 

“Who says I’m not having fun?”

 

“Come on sis. You go home tired. All you do is work. I’ve never even seen you go out with your friends!”

 

“Well, I’m busy, okay? You know having two jobs is not easy.”

 

“You should quit one of your jobs then… Better yet, just quit the first one.”

 

“If I do, then who will do the work I do? The company trusts me okay? And I love going to work because I know I’m doing something good for our company. For us.. for Mom and Dad.”

 

END OF FLASHBACK.

 

 

Krystal, as she mentioned in her interview was the spokes model of Eco Cosmetics, one of the companies belonging to Jung Corporation.

 

[NOTE: For reference see the Beauties’ Casting Tapes]

 

“Eco Cosmetics.”, she answered simply.

 

“Wait, isn’t that company own by Jung Corporation?”, Gyuri added.

 

“Oh yeah, that’s right.”, Jiyoung agreed. Being a glamour model gives her knowledge in brands such as cosmetics, perfumes and all other products related to beauty care.

 

“You aren’t by any chance related to them right?”, Gyuri questioned.

 

Krystal let out a sigh before answering, “Yeah. The owner’s my father.”

 

“Woah! That’s so cool. ”, Heechul reacted.

 

“Yeah. Krystal-shii’s not just smart and beautiful, but rich too.”, Key spoke as a joke.

 

“You’re the total package girl.”, Jo Kwon added as a complement.

 

 

The rest of the night was spent getting to know each other more. Though they were all friends, keeping in mind the competition it was only natural that rivalries were secretly forming.  

 

But for now it was only the beginning, they were all enjoying the moment before the real challenges (with elimination) begin.

 

As the night went on, formalities were dropped and soon AJ wasn’t the only one being called ‘oppa’.

 

 

--------------------------------------------

INTERVIEW SESSIONS:

PD’s Question: What do you think about the exam?

 

SEOHYUN

It was fun. It’s nice that I get to use everything I’ve learned in school again.

 

JO KWON

I love it! I think I did pretty well.

 

SUZY

It’s hard, but I think I managed to do well.

 

JONGHYUN

Why couldn’t you guys test us with our knowledge in Star Wars?? Man, I would’ve killed that exam!

 

GYURI

Can we please do this another time. I have a serious headache. I need a power nap.

 

KYUHYUN

I’ve encountered this type of exam. But honestly speaking, this was not my expertise. I only know about current events, politics and the more important manners. But thanks to my students who are always talking about the latest trends in pop culture. I think I did a decent job.

 

JIYOUNG

I thought this was a reality show! Not school!

 

SHINDONG

My brain hurts!

 

YURI

My head still hurts from all that recalling. If I could’ve taken the exam for the geeks maybe I could’ve gotten a higher score.

 

MINHO

I think I did good enough to pass. It was basic text book material but I didn’t expect the part on pop culture. Maybe if I took the exam for the beauties I would’ve gotten a better score.

 

VICTORIA

[Says something in Chinese]

 

KEY

That was a surprise.

It was honestly draining! But I think I managed to get most of the answers correct.

 

HYUNA

I think I did well.

 

HEECHUL

I’m not sure if I did good. But I think being a radio DJ gave me an advantage on the part about pop culture.

 

NICOLE

I never liked school so I’m sure I failed. But I’m hoping for the best.

 

EUNHYUK

It was hard. I’m sure I failed.

--------------------------------------------

 

So that's EPISODE 1: When Beauty Meets a Geek

 

Next... EPISODE 2: Stage Fright Night

A challenge that involves public speaking. :)

 

'Til next time! Hope you guys enjoyed the first part. :))