Chapter Two

Selfish Lies

 

I slightly jumped hearing the pilot announce that we’re about to land. I’ve been staring at my phone for the whole flight. I shook my head lightly, in an attempt to shake the thoughts off of my mind. I got off the plane and instantly called my secretary, Mr. Kim.

“Yes sir, the car’s already waiting for you. I also arranged the navigator to the address.”

“Gomawo” I said, ending the call before going outside.

Throughout the drive, the same thoughts from awhile ago are still in my mind. I just can’t stop myself from thinking about them. I glanced at my phone again and then sighed.

I’ll tell him after I see her.

----------------------------------

According to the navigator I was about 20mins away from the place. I’ve been to Jeju Island a few times already. As far as I remember, I went here about three times since that day she went missing. Why didn’t I see her? Why? Maybe because I haven’t been to this certain part of the island, I thought as my eyes scanned the unfamiliar place around me.

My phone rang and when I looked at the screen, I got nervous. I contemplated on whether I should answer or not. But I still ended up pulling over the side of the road real quick before I answered the call, cause I know I won’t be able to drive properly while talking to this guy. I gulped nervously.

“Hyung!” An unexpected but familiar voice yelled.

My forehead slowly began to wrinkle as I confusedly asked, “Seungri?”

“Hyung! Where are you? I was at your house just a minute ago and Mr. Kim said you went somewhere. Where are you?!” His voice was getting louder with each word.

I sighed a relief realizing that it’s the mouse who called me. Then I chuckled as I went to Tom-and-Jerry mode. “Yah! Are you my wife?” I yelled back at him.

“A-aniyo...” He stuttered.

“Then why are you shouting at me like I’m your husband who didn’t go home last night?! Why the heck should I tell you where I’m supposed to be at?”

“But—"

“Do you know that you’re disturbing me right now? I’m very busy! And why are you using Youngbae’s phone?” I curiously asked. “If I knew that it was actually you who was calling, I shouldn’t have answered the call. Tsk.” I teasingly said with a sly grin forming on my lips.

“That’s exactly why I used Youngbae-hyung’s phone! I knew you wouldn’t answer it if my name appeared on your screen.” I can sense a pouting mouse right there! Hahahaha…!

But I got a bit serious and nervous again when I asked, “Uhh… Then, he’s there? With you…? Um, Youngbae, I mean.”

“Ani. He left his phone at my house. I was with him awhile ago but he already went home. You know him. He’d much rather be at home sulking. I forced him to go out and have fun with me and Daesung but as usual he wasn’t enjoying it and ended up going home early.” He explained, ending with a sigh. My head fell back on the headrest, I sighed as well, while closing my eyes.

He continued bugging me, asking where am I and what am I doing. So I ended up lying to him, saying that I’m just off to visit my aunt at Gangwon-do. I didn’t want to risk the high possibility of that talkative mouse telling anything to others. Especially Youngbae.

-------------------------------------

I was staring at the house when a girl suddenly went to take out the garbage. I quickly ran to hide behind the post. There I was, standing just a few feet away from her. Secretly observing the girl that everybody’s been crazily looking for, the girl that changed everything when she unexpectedly came to our lives as well as when she went missing two years ago.

From what I can see, she hasn’t changed much. But I knew better, that in spite of all the familiarity that I can sense from her, there’s still a difference...

 

FLASHBACK - minutes ago

I was getting excited as I glanced at the navigator which says that I’m about 5 mins away from where she’s supposed to be at. Then my phone rang once again. But this time it was the private investigator.

“Mr. Kwon?” he asked with an unusual tone, leaving me quite nervous.

“Yes?”

“I…. umm… You suddenly hung up on me awhile ago when I told you that I found her… So I didn’t get the chance to tell you… something important…” he paused for a while, then I heard him take a deep breathe before dropping the bomb. “Apparently Sir, she doesn’t remember anything… She… She has amnesia...”

That left me shocked.... And worried…. And frightened…

“Sir?”

“H-how...? How come...?”

“When I found out her whereabouts, I tried to observe her a few times to make sure that it’s her. Well, I somehow gathered information that she lost her memory the same time she went missing two years ago when she got into an accident. These people that she’s living with, have been very kind to keep her when they found her.”

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

I took a deep breathe as I stepped out from behind the post, and started walking towards her…

Is that why it took me two long years to finally find you…? Is that why all this time we haven’t heard anything from you…?

I stopped about 3 feet away from her, with her back facing me… Will you recognize me? Will you remember?

 “Sandy…?” I said in an almost like a whisper, not caring whether she’ll hear me or not because I’m scared.

Scared of how she’ll react… Scared of how much it’ll hurt me when she would say that she doesn’t know me… Scared of the fact that it’ll even hurt me more if ever she does remember….

She suddenly turned around to face me… Seeing her face this close brought a mixed emotion. I was so happy to the point that I might cry out for joy. It’s like a dream to see her like this. After a long time, the girl that I’ve been thinking of day and night, the girl that I’ve been worrying about, the girl that I’ve been looking for, is finally right here in front of me. But at the same time, seeing that she looked confused, like she doesn’t know who I am, breaks my heart too.

And then I saw an abrupt change in her facial expression, turning from confusion to something like… excitement?

Then she gasped, “Omo!!... You...!” she suddenly exclaimed with her eyes widening.

I was shocked at her reaction. Does she...?

“Annyeonghaseyo! Dara-imnida!”

----------------------------------------------