Worthless & Heartbroken

Disgraceful LOΛE

Nu’est had ended up watching the horror movie in the end. Aron apologized to the rest of the band for accusing them of treachery. He looked heartbroken and sad that Sandy had lied to him, but he still insisted they watch the horror movie so that he could get his mind off of her.

They watched the film. It was scary. So scary, Minhyun couldn’t sleep that night. He kept tossing and turning, afraid that some serial killer would walk into the hotel room right now and brutally rip him to shreds.

He couldn’t stand it anymore. Everyone was asleep, and he was the only one awake, and he was really scared. He felt like such a child, as the rest of Nu’est watched it and turned it off and went to bed like it was some romcom. But Minhyun was scared, and he needed someone awake with him. He shared a room with Aron, and he didn’t want to wake up the poor heartbroken boy now. He decided to go to Baekho and Ren’s room but the door was locked and he had no key. He knocked the door, and no one answered.

Suddenly, the thought occurred to him that the serial killer might kill him when he is in the corridor, all alone and vulnerable. It sent shivers up and down his spine and he turned to JR’s room and knocked the door so and yelled.

“JR, are you awake? JR!” He yelled loudly, but got no response. He went back to his room, only to find that he had left the room without a key, locking himself out.

“Damnit!” Minhyun cursed anxiously, looking all around him, half-expecting the shadow of a serial killer to loom over him. He then rushed to manager-noona’s room and knocked the door loudly. “Noona! Are you awake!?”

“Who is it? Minhyun?” came noona’s voice from behind the door.

“Yes! Noona! You’re awake! Please open the door,” he said desperately looking around him.

She opened the door within seconds and Minhyun dashed inside, closing the door behind him quickly.

“What? Did a fangirl break in?” noona laughed, seeing how hurried and scared Minhyun looked.

“No,” Minhyun responded catching his breath.

“Then what happened? Why do you look like you’ve just seen a ghost? Is everything okay?”

“Noona, I locked myself out of my room and the others are sleeping.”

“Aigoo, you pabo. That still doesn’t explain why you’re so scared.”

“Because… well,” Minhyun was afraid to admitting he was frightened by a serial killer that he watched in a movie.

“Oh, I get it!” Noona huffed in triumph. “It’s that movie you guys rented, right? Aigoo, you really are just a little boy…”

Minhyun rubbed his index fingers together and looked at the floor shamefacedly. He felt so humiliated, exposed as a coward in front of the person he liked.

“Now what are we going to do with you?” she said. “I'll go to the reception and retrieve a key to your room. You stay here,” she said as she put on her slippers and prepared to leave. He held her arm.

“Don’t leave me alone please. I don’t want to go back to my room. Aron’s asleep and I honestly am very scared. Let me sleep with you today…”

She bit her lower lip and it quickly occurred to him how wrong that statement sounded.

“That’s not what I meant!” He exclaimed quickly, turning pink in the face, and looking at the floor shamefully once again. This is the second time in less than five minutes that he’d embarrassed himself in front of her.

She then laughed at his silliness and responded, “you know that’s not proper, Minhyun. A man and woman sleeping in the same hotel room together.”

“But I’m not really a man, noona. You said it yourself. I’m a like your child.”

Like my child. You aren’t my child though. Big difference.”

“I won’t sleep beside you though. I’ll sleep on the floor, as far away from you as possible. Actually, I’ll sleep in the bathtub, so technically we won’t be in the same room…”

“Okay fine. But you’re sleeping in the bathtub.” She walked over to the bed and handed him a pillow. “Here you go.”

Minhyun took the pillow with a pout on his face. He didn’t actually think that noona would make him sleep in the bathtub, but whatever. Better than nothing. He walked into the bathtub and laid down there. A few minutes later, noona came in, the light and laughed.

“You’re really cute, you know that right?” she said, taking his arm and pulling him up from the bathtub. “You can have the floor,” she said and he let out a sigh of relief.

When the lights were off, and Minhyun was on the floor and noona was on the bed, Minhyun couldn’t sleep.

“Noona?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you sleepy?”

“Yes.”

“I want to talk.”

“What do you want to talk about?”

“What’s your ideal type?”

“Why do you want to know that?”

“I want to know.”

“Well, I like tall guys.”

Minhyun smirked. “And?”

“I don’t know.”

Minhyun sighed, and used the confidence that emanated from what noona had revealed to say: “Noona, what if I told you that I liked you, what would you do?”

She was silent for a bit, “Minhyun that’s a silly question.”

“Answer it.”

“I would tell you to find someone your own age that’s not your manager.”

“I see,” he said. He expected as much.

“You don’t though right?” noona said hopefully.

“I do,” he confessed finally. And there was an awkward silence.

“I sort of knew before,” she finally said. “From the way you talk to me, and from the snickers the other boys give you when you’re around me. I never thought you’d actually confess though. Minhyun, I think of you as a child, my child. Not really my child, but like a little brother, you know? I love you, but I certainly won’t be able to love you the way a woman would love a man.”

Minhyun expected she’d say that. He expected the rejection, and he had decided before confessing that he wasn’t going to be sad when he is rejected. Now that he was rejected though, he realized that was much easier said than done.

“Minhyun?” she called.

He didn’t answer her, too sunken in sorrow to be able to say anything.

“Minhyun, please don’t tell me you’re sad...” She got up from her bead and the lamp. She climbed down from bed and sat on the ground next to Minhyun’s head. She saw that he looked dejected, his lips pursed, his eyes blankly staring at nothing. “Look Minhyun, I’m flattered you like me, I really am, but please don’t waste yourself on me. Seriously Min, I’m worthless. I’m ugly. I’ve got belly fat and I snore sometimes and I can’t cook to save a life. You’re beautiful, and you know that, and you can probably get some famous pretty idol girl and you’re settling for me? I’m nothing special. You’re just blinded by a silly little crush, and I want you to get over it, okay?”

“Okay,” he said hoarsely forcing himself to smile at her to show her that he’s okay.

She ruffled his hair, climbed back into bed and turned off the lamplight.

When he woke up the next morning, noona was not there. She had left him a note saying she went to get breakfast already. He remembered what happened the night before and suddenly felt his heart heavy and unhappy. She had rejected him.

This was the second time that he’d been rejected by someone he liked. First it was Sandy, and now noona. Was he really not good enough? No, he was good enough, it’s just that he’d always managed to fall for the wrong person, and he hated it. He hated how his heart would target those he would never get.

He felt his back crack. He had been sleeping on the floor, and his back hurt now that he’d got up he laid back on noona’s bed, smelling her pillow. He took in her scent, regretting that he wasn’t older so that he would have been good enough for her.

Just then, he heard a knock on the door, “noona! Are you awake? Noona, I need you drive me to some store. I need to buy facial cream! I forgot mine in Korea.”

Minhyun got up and opened the door, and Ren looked surprised to see him. He raised an eyebrow at Minhyun and then smirked. “What’s going on?” he said with a wide grin on his face.

“Stop imagining things, Ren,” Minhyun rolled his eyes at the imaginative maknae.

“Did you spend the night with her?” Ren asked, winking and Minhyun blushed causing Ren to burst out in laughter. “You totally spent the night with her! And there’s just one bed. Ha! Oh my God, how did you do it? I never thought noona would give in…”

“Ren, I slept on the floor. I was locked out last night, and you were all asleep but noona, so I slept in her room. Nothing happened.”

“Nothing at all?” Ren raised an eyebrow, and Minhyun just rolled his eyes and went back inside the room. Ren followed. “Is she not in?”

“She’s at breakfast.”

“So nothing at all happened? Not even talking? And she made you sleep on the floor?”

“We talked,” Minhyun answered and then laid face down on the bed to continued smelling her pillow. “And yes, I slept on the cold hard floor.”

“And…?” Ren asked as he sat down on the bedside began massaging Minhyun’s aching back. “What happened? Did you go intimate with your talking? Tell me everything.”

“I confessed. She rejected,” Minhyun answered, obviously sad about it.

“Naww, Min. It’s okay,” Ren said as he continued massaging Minhyun’s back. “There will be other girls.”

“Aron said the exact same thing last time I was rejected by Sandy… Rennie, when will someone I like ever like me back? Am I really that worthless?”

“Minnie, what’s this stupid nonsense? Two rejections and you think you’re worthless? I’m disappointed in you right now,” Ren stopped massaging Minhyun’s back to cross his arms.

“No, don’t stop please,” Minhyun pleaded, and Ren eyed at Minhyun penetratingly for a second before continuing with his massaging.

Minhyun just lay there enjoying Ren’s hand his back and enjoying noona’s scent. He was in that position for nearly half an hour when noona walked in.

“Good morning,” she said like she would have any other day. “You guys should go down to get breakfast before it closes,” she said, “Baekho and JR are already there. And wake Aron up as well.”

Ren got up and pulled Minhyun from the bed, pulling him out towards the door. Noona watched as Minhyun left, his eyes on the floor and his face flushed with sadness.

“Min, snap out of it!” Ren said when they were in the hallway. He then knocked Aron’s door. “Aron! Get your out here now. Breakfast closes in half an hour.”

“You go, I don’t want to eat,” Aron’s voice came from behind the door.

“Me neither, Ren,” Minhyun said, “I don’t have much of an appetite now.”

“Guys. We have a fanmeeting in three hours and a performance in six. We need energy. Do you guys want to collapse today? Just get over your sad love lives right now and take care of yourselves! Now get your two sorry asses down to breakfast this instant!”

Aron got out of the room. Like Minhyun, he also looked miserable, but he forced himself to smile at Ren, “demanding little maknae,” Aron said, ruffling Ren’s hair. In normal circumstances, Ren would be pissed off at Aron for doing that and he’d smack Aron’s hand away, but this time he didn’t. Aron looked truly heartbroken that Sandy had lied to him, and Ren could not help but feel sympathy for the poor hyung.

“Let’s go,” Ren said, taking both of their hands and pulling the two heartbroken boys downstairs to where Baekho and JR were eating breakfast.

Aron and Minhyun ate silently, both not really in the mood for eating. Ren explained what happened with Minhyun and noona to the others, and breakfast after that was entirely silent for a long time. It was Baekho who ended it by clearing his throat.

“Aron, are you going to talk to Sandy?” he asked when Aron looked up.

“I don’t know. I think I will, but not today.”

“Hyung, I think you should talk to her as soon as possible,” JR said, “make it right with her or else she’ll be on your mind all day.”

“I don't think I should be the one making it right, JR. She was the one that lied,” Aron responded.

“Ask her why she did it. Be gentle and patient, and don’t show her that you’re angry even if you are. Show her that you’re concerned, and she’ll be honest with you and open up. And if she apologizes sincerely, forgive her quickly and forget about it. If she denies or snaps at you, then she isn’t the person you thought she was, so leave her.”

“Well, aren’t you a little love doctor,” Aron said, giving JR a weak smile.

“I’m not a love doctor, I’m your leader. And as your leader, I need to make sure you get your act together. So call her. Right now.” JR had taken out a phone from his pocket and handed it to Aron.

“Not now,” Baekho said quickly. “The girls over there,” he pointed with his eyes, “are watching us. I think they recognize us. I say you wait until a little later or else we’ll be stuck in a scandal.”

Aron glanced at the girls Baekho was talking about. They were two young women, not girls. They were talking to one another, and did not really seem to recognize Nu’est. Nonetheless, Aron handed the phone back to JR and decided to wait until they were in the room alone to speak to her.

“Now that we got Aron sorted, let’s deal with you Minhyun.” JR turned to face Minhyun. “Minnie, I don’t know what to tell you other than to get over her.”

“It’s not that easy, JR.”

“Look, remember a long time ago, when you thought I was in love with Aron? You told manager-hyung, and in order for me to ‘forget’ about Aron, I was set up with Lime? Maybe that’s what should happen to you. I’ll tell manager-hyung and he’ll set you up with Yooyoung or maybe even Lizzy…”

“No! No! Don’t do that. I don’t want to be set up! Manger-hyung is really strict about things like this. Don’t tell him please. If he finds out I like noona, he’ll tell the CEO and then noona might be fired and so I won’t see her again.”

“She won’t be fired. She’s done nothing wrong.”

“Pledisboss won’t believe that.”

“I guess so. But maybe you should think about it. Call Yooyoung some time.”

“I don’t want to,” Minhyun pouted.

“Hey I thought the same way about Lime when I first went out with her, and now… well… you know,” JR looked suddenly shy. “I miss her so much,” he said, his face suddenly falling.

“Ughhhh!” Ren bawled, “you too, JR? You too? All of you and your sad love lives. It seems like nothing good can come out of love…”

“Minhyun,” Baekho interrupted, “I don’t think you should call Yooyoung. That would be like you’re using her to get over noona and that’s not nice. Instead, I think you should continue pursuing noona.”

“What?” JR asked, narrowing his eyebrows. Ren also looked at Baekho curiously.

“Personally, I think that if you love someone, you should never give up,” Baekho told Minhyun. Minhyun listened to Baekho intently. This was what Minhyun wanted to hear; this was the advice that he wanted to be given. He didn’t want to forget noona. All he needed was words of encouragement, and Baekho was giving that to him.

JR shook his head in disapproval. “Bad advice, Baekho. Noona will never give in, and even if she does, they can’t be together. Not only is it so damn awkward…” JR closed his eyes and shook his head as he imagined noona and Minhyun making a couple. “Come on, Baekho! Don’t encourage him…”

“I agree with JR,” Ren stepped in.

“I think Minhyun should do what makes him happy,” Baekho said, “so if he’s still not over noona, he should continue going after her. She rejected him the first time. Maybe the second time, he’ll be luckier…” Baekho flashed a smile at Minhyun, and Minhyun felt motivated and his spirits were instantly lifted.

He put his arms around Baekho, hugging him tightly. “Thank you Baekho. You made me feel so much better,” Minhyun said.

No, don’t thank me, Baekho thought. I don’t deserve to be thanked. I should rot in hell for what I’m planning to do…

Long chapter again heh XD

This is to make up for the late update. I was a) depressed b) busy c) writer’s block. Yeah, I think I’m over depression now, thank God.

So Baekho is doing something really bad right now. What is it and why is he doing it? dundundunnn.

I’ll update sooner next time, promise! But now that I started the semester, I’ll be a lot busier. *sigh*

Anways, comment, as your words motivate me! ~