Twenty Six

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

 

You wake up to the sound of soft buzzing from the TV.


Letting out a yawn, you move to stretch a bit, only to find that your arms are restricted... By another body lying next to you.

Kyungsoo.


Suddenly, your breath hitches and the memories from yesterday night comes flooding back.

After he disappeared into the bathroom, you had taken a moment to evaluate the situation.


He couldn't have.

It just doesn't make sense.



Though you still can't be hundred percent sure of the male's ual orientation, he couldn't have wanted... you.



It might have been the excessive thinking or the warm bath that made you increasingly tired and sleepy. Or maybe a combination of both. You found it hard to keep focus on the TV screen despite all the vibrant colors and vivid sound effects.

Before you knew it, you had drifted off to sleep.



And now that you've woken, a sense of deja vu hits you.

The previous time you saw the male lying next to you in bed, you freaked out. But now, you're actually thankful he's still sound asleep so you can take your time to scrutinize him.



The male is wearing the other Pororo pajamas, the blue flattering his fair skin tone. His unusually wide eyes are now shut, a perfect dome shape.

He has soft, smooth bangs that's carelessly covering his inky black eyelashes at some parts and full, luscious lips that looks even more swollen at the moment.


They look so... Kissable.

Wait.

Hold up. Choi Gaeun what the heck were you thinking?


You may have let out a gasp because the deejay is suddenly stirring.



Panicking, you quickly squeeze your eyes shut and hopes that the deejay doesn't realize you're pretending sleep.



Kyungsoo doesn't.

The minute his mind registers the surroundings (and you), he lets up a fond smile.



Your usually intimidating countenance is now softened into this quiet, vulnerable visage and Kyungsoo thinks he doesn't mind waking up to such a sight every morning.

He sees movement beneath your eyelids and wonders whether you are dreaming.


Are they bad dreams?



His fingers are twitching with the impulse to touch you and just when he's about to reach out, his phone beeps with an incoming text message.

Kyungsoo has half a mind to ignore the sender, but he is a sensitive and responsible individual and there can only be three people who may text him at this time of the day.

His colleague from the sales department, his grandmother and Baekhyun.

What if it's his grandmother?



Reluctantly, Kyungsoo slides out from under the blankets, taking extra care not to wake you. Striding across the room to his phone, he picks it up and opens the text message.

May he be damned.


Of all the possibilities, it just has to be his annoying, -gifting best friend.


I heard someone checked in last night! Do you like the gift? I want to know every.single.detail when I get back okay?? Til then, leaving the two of you to your lovey-dovey...



Kyungsoo groans.


"Something wrong?" Your voice chimes low through the room and he twirls around to see your concerned face staring at him.


"Y-You're up?"

Dammit Do Kyungsoo, stop breaking up like a damn teenager.



"Yeah, if it's something important we should go now." You answer, head dipping in self-consciousness.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just... Baekhyun sent me a message, he's flying to the States today."



"Ah..."

You nod.


The two are close indeed.



Guilt twists in your gut because you know the moment their relationship is exposed, both their careers will take a nose dive and it'd be all your fault. More importantly, how will Kyungsoo feel once he knows you are the traitor and culprit?


Funny it's never struck you before. But then again, you've never been particularly close to being friends with your news subjects. That is, if the two of you are even considered friends.


And there's that something else.

That thing which makes your heart race faster whenever he's looking at you in a certain way.



Like now.


"K-Kyungsoo ssi?"



Said male snaps out from his trance and gives a bashful smile.

"A-Are you in a rush? It's nearly 7 a.m. You are due at 9 in the office, right?"



"Y-Yeah."


 



❖❖❖

 




The drive back home is unceremonious, both caught up in your own web of thoughts.


You are determining how long it will take you to dig out the heiress's secret because gut feeling tells you that the case is definitely much bigger in scale than previously expected.


And if you may actually convince Kris to drop the deejay's case in favor of that.


Kyungsoo recollects the way you had looked back at the hotel, breaths close and those almost kisses. Just mere thinking about it is making his body buzz with heat and yearning.



.

When he next opens the door for you at the house, noting the way you clutch your coat tighter to yourself from the cold and the urge to wrap his arms around you becomes particularly overwhelming, Kyungsoo knows he's falling.


He's falling and he's confused because this isn't supposed to be happening.

He's never fallen so fast and hard before and he can't be too sure if it's not all testosterone.



Until then, Kyungsoo decides there's only one thing he can do.


 



❖❖❖

 



At first you thought you are just imagining it.

But when the deejay effectively shuns all conversation the two days you waited up for him and didn't appear entirely on the third, you know he's avoiding you.


You don't know why you started waiting up for him during the night. He usually comes home some time before 1 a.m. and it's just nice, to see him after a day's worth of news scrapping and computer staring.


It used to invigorate you. Your work, that is. Keeping you afloat on the buoy of sanity.

But now that is slowly slipping away, the hours turning into excruciating seconds because all you can think of is a heart-shaped smile and warm voice that awaits you in the wee hours of the morning.



You think maybe because Baekhyun found out you utilized his booking of the hotel room. And maybe his boyfriend is mad at him? Kyungsoo too?


It's terrifying how much he's affecting your life.

And even more so when you realize how he'll be gone from it at the end of the month.





Kyungsoo clocks in longer hours at the radio station just so he can avoid bumping into you back at the house.


For consecutively two days, he finds you still awake and sitting at the couch in front of the TV, droopy eyes and endearing smile.
And damn if he's not tempted to cross the room and plant a wakening kiss to those blossoming lips.

He doesn't indulge in his fantasies, however. Choosing instead to just mumble a goodnight and heading straight for his room.




The adjustment is probably not a noticeable difference, especially since the only other person left in the station during late hours is the media control technician. Minseok, however, observes the change in his colleague's demeanor.


"You look really tired nowadays, bro'." He points out on Friday evening, when Kyungsoo comes plodding into the office to prepare for his shift.


"I do?" Kyungsoo brings a hand to his face and rubs absentmindedly. "Maybe I haven't been getting enough sleep."

It's not entirely untrue. Kyungsoo has been finding it hard to succumb to sleep lately. Thoughts of cheeky smiles and blushed lips inundating his troubled mind.

It's probably infatuation, he thinks.


He can't remember the last time he's so affected by someone, ever.




"Had a tiff with your girlfriend?" Minseok questions with a lift of his brows.

Girlfriend? If only it's that simple.


"I don't... Have a girlfriend." Kyungsoo manages out.

"Oh? I thought you did, what with the glow and all recently." The elder shrugs.


"What glow?"

"You know, the type of glow that only comes when someone is in love." Minseok leans over the table with a suggestive grin. "So, do you want to talk about it? The girl?"



Kyungsoo shifts uncomfortably in his seat.

"There's no girl."


"Ah... My bad then."

Minseok grabs his bag and just when he's about to leave, he pats Kyungsoo on the back.


"Just a heads up. Sometimes you have to let the other person know your feelings. It's surprising how much people assumes, especially for someone like you."

Kyungsoo's lips tilt into a half amused pout.

"What do people usually assume about me then?"


Minseok drags an index finger to his chin in mock thoughtfulness.

"That you and Baekhyun are an item?"


Kyungsoo snorts unattractively and the elder laughs.


"I know, but it makes for juicy gossip. If I don't know any better, I'd have thought the same." Minseok grins but suddenly turns more serious. "Though I know it's only because you are just cautious about giving anyone too much. Unless you're absolutely, perfectly sure that she's the one."

Kyungsoo stops his cheeky expressions then.

The elder continues, "But that's the thing. You can never be too sure, until you give yourself a chance. And just try."


Silence resides for a while, before Kyungsoo gives the elder a playful punch on his arm.

"When did you become such a love guru?"

"Ever since I'm stuck in this job answering love sick people's call-ins. I'd have thought you are getting pretty good at it yourself, since the depressed ones usually calls at night."


Kyungsoo snickers. "They do."

"Good luck to that then." He makes to go and as an afterthought, smacks Kyungsoo lightly on his shoulder. "I'd like to meet the girlfriend sometimes."


The younger groans.

"I don't have a girlfriend."




Minseok only smirks and waves a goodbye. Kyungsoo sighs and turns to the computer screen.



I have a wife, that's going to be gone in a week. He mulls sullenly.

 

 

 

 

▲▲▲