Two

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

The brasserie reeks of expensive tastes and pompish figures acting classy on a bright Tuesday afternoon. You take a sip of plain water from the crystal glass and rub your hands together.

At least it's warm in here.


 

Winter is coming again. Your most hated season.



The target gets up from the table.


"Go."

You motion for your photographer to move from his seat.


The dark haired boy leaps, clutching his ammunition in hand. A Canon Mark IV with 200 millimetre lens and 2x convertor. Being a paparazzi is somewhat like a sniper.


 

Spot. Focus. Shoot.



"Sorry, are you ordering anyth--- " You are waylaid by the befuddled waitress.

"Erm, no... Sorry, we have another appointment, thank you so much." You wave your hand dismissively and she gives a polite bow in return.


Your photographer is already out of the door.



"Gaeun noona." His urgent hiss comes out in a thick accent. Zitao is still new in the job and country. But he's hardworking, picks up fast and most importantly, has stealthy skills like a ninja. "They are heading towards the car."


You catch up to him and sees the target and his rendezvous getting into the black Jaguar.


"We'll follow them." You pat him smartly on the back and he follows you to your car in double speed.




 

Halfway through the drive along the meandering road, you notice the car slowing to a stop by the lake. Mirroring their action, you decrease your speed and pulls up a good distance away from them.


There's only two other cars parked in the area and the place is largely deserted. What with the suburbs and time of the day.



 

"Tao."


He doesn't need further prompts to jack up his camera and start clicking away.


"Noona, the windows are tinted. I can't see anything."

You snatch a binoculars from the backseat and squints.


He's right.


The windows are rolled up and there's movements in the car but mostly obscured by the glass.



"Go and ask for directions."

You grab his camera, much to his surprise.


"But noona, won't I blow my cover?" His pleading eyes are almost convincing, but you are a cold, heartless , as the company already knows.


"Go."

He doesn't argue further.



You watch as Zitao slides out of the car and treads over to the Jaguar. Rapping on the windows, he's greeted by several moments of silence and he glances back at you imploringly.


You signal for him to knock again.


Reluctantly, he does and this time, the windows roll down to reveal the red-faced target, a handsome one, no less, for his age.

Zitao gestures wildly and you can tell he's successfully confusing the other with his mother tongue. There's a lot of Chinese in Korea, but there's loads more who don't understand a of the language.


You aim and shoot away, taking care to capture the profile of the lady behind the politician.


After a few seconds, the man politely waves off Zitao, rolling up the windows and the car stutters into action again.

As the Jaguar cruises off, the photographer returns to the car in quick strides.


"So, did you get anything?"


You give a smirk.

"Just enough to prove his guilt. Good job, Tao. Kris will be pleased."


The photographer gives a boyish grin as he slips back into the car.


 

❖❖❖
 



Kabloid! is a small team of nine, comprising of three journalists, two photographers, one sub-editor, an editor, designer and the director, Kris, who is now toasting his champagne glass.


The acrylic glasses clink and a loud cheer ensues in the compact, well-lit office.


"And thanks to Gaeun and Tao," Kris nods to the addressed parties. You smile and Zitao sniggers shyly. "Politician Kim's neat little affair is exposed. More sales for the magazine. More money for us. Congratulations."

He tips the glass and drinks whilst the rest follows suit.


"So does that mean we'll get promotions too?" Kwanghee, another reporter, squeaks cautiously.


"Even if there is any, it won't be for you, Kwanghee. The last case you handled ended in a mess. Kabloid was fined for illegal trespassing and it's only due to Gaeun's close connections that the other party didn't press any further charges."


"If you really want to be the top, learn from the best." He motions to you. You respond with a polite smile.


Kwanghee fakes retching behind his back as the Director turns to Zitao.

"Although Zitao's cover was compromised, but fortunately the mission was accomplished. You did good, Tao." He squeezes said boy gently by the shoulder and the dark haired male grins triumphantly.



 

You wink at Zitao.

Being the only son in his family, Zitao has always wanted siblings. And after he left his homeland for Korea to look for a job, he met Kris, a Canadian Chinese, who offered him both job and friendship. They hit off well and Zitao has always looked up to him as the elder brother he never had, and any encouragement and compliments like these were eagerly lapped up by the younger.


A happy Tao is good. For it equals an efficient Tao.

You'd like that.


There's competition in the company you are thinking about.

Kwanghee has been eyeing the position of Senior Journalist ever since he joined one year ago, as Tiffany is leaving the post and country soon due to her new family commitments. But the new kid on the block, which is you, has shown consistent quality performance over the half year you've been with the company.

And if there's no accidents, you'll be the next one promoted.



 

There's a cost for such accomplishment though.


You don't hang out with anyone after work. Heck, there's no such thing as after work in your life.


 

Your entire life is Work.

You come into the office at 8 in the morning and leaves only in time to catch the last bus home.


Weekends are spent snooping on potential scoops in the town and neighborhood, poring over news searches on the internet or newspapers.


You don't have any friends.



 

Ok, maybe you do have one.


And Shinae is probably the only one who understands why you work like your life depends on it. Because when time becomes a luxury, you spend it on worthless things like... heartbreak. Though Shinae is always busy with her boyfriend, Andy, (the little time that she spends with you consists of frequent typing away of saccharine sweet messages to her boyfriend on her cute pink mobile) she's really a sweetheart to you.



She is the one who pulled you out of the rut after the break up with Jongdae a year ago. Tossing aside quality time with her beloved, she dragged you out for a bath of sunshine after you spent two weeks cooped up in your apartment.


Karaokes, clubs, binges. She did everything she could.


And maybe it worked.


Because you gradually picked yourself up. Though your heart might be glued on wrong together.


The world moves on.


And so did you.




 

It does not, however, lessen the ache when you next see his photo being slapped on the table, an unknown lady by his side.



After the mini celebration, Kris had called you into the office explaining there's two new leads.


"I've got inside information on popular ballad singer, Chen, being involved with a married woman. She is the heiress of ES Entertainment."

Your insides twitch minutely, looking down at the immaculate face of the 30-ish year old lady.

She's not Hyemi.


 

Have they broken up?


"Apparently he has been... Pulling some strings to get to where he is in such a short time. I'll like you to investigate this. However, I've another lead..."


He clicks on his laptop and tilts it towards you.


 

An idol-looking male with thick eyeliner flickers on the screen.

 

"Byun Baekhyun, Rookie singer of the year and the it person right now. He gained a cult following days into his debut and months after, becomes the public and media's darling. Everything that has his face, voice, anything on it, sells. However, he's rumored to be gay and his supposed partner..."

He clicks again and the image on the laptop switches to a clean-cut male, dark haired and earnest looking.


"Do Kyungsoo, deejay of Soul FM, immediate heir to Park Joo Hyun, director of Provence Bakery. Though the old lady hasn't died yet."


You squint at the screen.



"The Provence Bakery? The largest bakery in Ilsan?"

"Have you tried them? It's pretty good actually." He hums.


"There's quite a few branches in Seoul. The baguettes are almost always sold out the minute they are placed on the shelves. I've only ever eaten the tarts. They're really good." You nod in agreement.


"Madam Park is a widow. Do Kyungsoo is her favorite grandson." He continues. "If the gay rumor is proven true, this will take a hit on both their careers."


He trains his eyes on you again.


"So, Gaeun, which case are you taking up?"


"Can't I take both?" You reply, sounding more confident than you are.



"Well," Kris leans back on his black swivel chair. "I was hoping you'd say that."


He conjures two VIP passes from under the table and slides them over to you.


"Have fun tonight."

 

▲▲▲