Twelve

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

Your finger lightly touches the half golden sphere before you lift it daintily from the red jewelry box.

After the meeting with Madam Park, you left in a daze and when Shinae asked, you only told her you've met up with your grandmother's friend and that she misses her.


The entire evening, your mind is tumbling with the words exchanged during the meeting. Madam Park had shown you her medical records and assured you that the part about the inheritance is definitely not meant to buy you over or anything, and "all I have is money, and that's one of the easiest way for me to show my appreciation for your help. That is, if you agree to this dying old woman's wish."


You tsk in annoyance at the whirling confusion in your brain.

 

 


Rationale tells you that this whole thing is a joke and you shouldn't even be fretting about it and just flat out say no. It's marriage for goodness sake and you don't just marry someone because of a promise made between other people.


But then again, this is not just any other people.

 



It's your late grandmother, the one who raised you and pounded the importance of that promise into you on the day she died. And the one requesting is her best friend, a 60 year old dying of brain cancer.


If you say no, not only are you breaking a promise to your grandmother, but also denying the death wish of the Choi family's benefactor.


 

 

What a great way to repay a huge- debt of gratitude.


And Madam Park did stress that the marriage will be kept a quiet affair unless you want it to be lavish, (like the hell you want the whole world to know) and last only as long as she's alive, meaning that it's only for half a year, and then you are free. Plus what better way to uncover a case than to be in the subject's house itself, right? Madam Park didn't seem to know your real job and even if she did, she most certainly didn't express any doubt about it.

You are not worried about the boy getting frisky with you because you have your self-defense skills and heck, that deejay is a gay. Does Madam Park not know that? He's probably not going to find himself attracted to a female, especially not one as dull as you.



All you have to do is stay married and stay out of each others' way.




But then again, this is Do Kyungsoo you are talking about.

The three times he butted into your affairs seriously got under your skin (though technically he saved you on the last one) and you aren't sure when you'll snap.



And then what?


Just when you are thinking about it, there's a short rap on your bedroom door.



"Noona?"

"Youngjae ah? Yes?"


He has that look on his face. You sigh and put the jewelry aside.


"What is it?"

"The doctor just called again. Are we..." He worries his bottom lip. "Are we really going for the surgery in February?"




You glance tenderly at the young man in front of you. Such a talented and precious boy... All he needs is a chance.

And who are you to deprive him of that privilege?



You swallow hard.



"Yes."

"Really?"


"Yes." You say again, this time slightly louder, as if to assure yourself.





Everyone has to make a sacrifice sometimes.
 





Youngjae is just a tad surprised when you told him you are moving in with your fiance but doesn't question much.


You've always been elusive about your own relationships and he didn't even know much about Jongdae except for the fact that he broke your heart and you spent quite a few months moping over it. Both of you keep your own secrets mostly out of fear that the other will worry.

After asking about the new housing arrangements, your little brother assures you he'll take good care of himself.




"If there's anything I need, I'll know where to find you." He chuckles.

"Stay out of trouble, if not, I'll be yanking your back to where it belongs." You warn, ruffling his hair playfully.



"You must like him very much to agree to marry him though?" Youngjae snickers.
 



Something heavy settles in your gut.



"Yeah. I guess." You answer, not daring to look at him in case your expression gives you away.

"Congratulations then." He moves to pull you into a hug.


 


The "thanks" is mumbled into his chest.

 



❖❖❖





The house is located in a quiet area near Apgujeong. When the Mercedes Cabriolet pulls up in front of the white two-storey building, you stumble a little whilst getting out of the car. The Saturday morning suddenly feels extra chilly and you tremble slightly.


The clean, minimalist structure has a touch of old English to it, what with its cottage like looking roof and a clutter of plants on the front lawn. Herbs. You recognize some of them as you follow Madam Park into the gate.



Someone in the house cooks, you fathom.


"I'm so, so happy that you agreed to this, Ga-eun ssi..." The old lady's eyes twinkle as she turns around to face you. "Now, here's where you'll be living from now on."

She pushes the door open.

 



The furnishing is simple. Dark grey couch, black wooden coffee table on white tiled floor, facing a huge black cabinet and TV console, flanked by a large French window. There's two rooms across it, both doors painted white. A few abstract art pieces span across the white-washed walls and leads into the white and grey kitchen.

The open concept and high ceiling makes the room look spacious but still homely.



You gasp quietly at the sight.



It's a house that you've always dreamed of having. Well, maybe more pastel colors will suit your liking, but the entire living space is what you imagine to be when you are married.


Which, you are supposed to be in a month's time. But...




Reality smacks you in the face when one of the two white doors open, revealing a mob of dark black hair and lithe body dressed in white t-shirt and grey sweatpants.



.



"Grandma?"



The male voice is deep and slightly cracked from non-use.


But when his head lifts and the two of you meet each others' shocked gaze, the voice pitches higher and he suddenly sounds more awake.



"What is this?" He looks at his grandmother then back to you.





This isn't good.

 

 

▲▲▲