Eleven

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

You walk out of the restaurant, hot breath vaporizing as it hits the cold air.



Just when you are wondering what to do next, a kind-looking elderly man dressed in traditional black suit strides up to you, smiling genially.
 


"Choi Ga-eun ssi?" He enquires.

"Y-Yes?"

"This way please."

 



He leads you a few steps further away from the restaurant, stopping in front of a white Mercedes Cabriolet and motioning you to wait whilst he opens the door.

You bow deeply at this gesture and he smiles, giving another wave of his hand to urge you in before he rounds to the other side to get into the driver's seat.

 



There's someone sitting in the car, but your view is blocked by the top black hood.

You take a deep breath and climbs in.




"Hello." She speaks first.

You startle, bowing hurriedly to the elder. She looks at least 60, from your initial deduction. You wonder whether it's the heater inside the car that's making the back of your neck feel prickly.

She breaks into a smile.

 



Oddly, it reminds you of someone but you can't quite put your finger on it.

"You must be thinking, is this a joke right?" She chuckles a little.


 


That's an understatement.


You are on the verge of bolting if not for the manners that has been ingrained into you since young that you should always respect the elderly, no matter what rubbish you think they are spouting.

So even though the circumstance now seems highly fishy and smells like every single bad decision you've ever made in your life, you stay put in the plush leather seat.

 



"I'm Madam Park. And that..." She nods to the elderly man in front. "Is my chauffeur, Mr Kim.

I see that Mr Kim hasn't lost his touch, seeing that you didn't flee in fright. He's quite the charmer during his youth... Madam Kim was quite bowled over. He's just getting a tad absent-minded nowadays. Old age and all you know."

The two of them shares a quiet laugh, before the driver replies.


"Ain't we all, Madam? Ain't we all?"

You think they must be on really close terms to be able to joke around like that. As if reading your mind, Madam Park says, "Mr Kim is also a really close friend. Which means that the things I'm going to share with you now, will be kept confidant."


Your curiosity peaks at her statement.




"Do you still have the necklace that your grandmother left you?" She quizzes.

That question left your brain neurons gaping a while.

 


Necklace?
 



Your grandmother did leave you a necklace before she passed away, a dome-shaped little gold ball that's supposed to be half of a ball
sphere. The other half, your grandmother informed you, is with her friend and benefactor.

It is a symbol of our promise, she relayed over ailing breaths.

 



"The promise, did she tell you about it?" Madam Park gazes expectantly at you.

"Yes," You start cautiously, the memories of that unusual conversation coming back to you in bits and pieces. "That when the person holding the other half of the ball sphere turns up and asks for a request, I must agree to it, no matter what."

"What else did she tell you?" Her eyes has a reminiscent look.



"That this friend of hers, she helped us through all our tough times. Since my parents passed on without leaving much money, what she couldn't afford for me and my brother's needs, this friend of hers more than made up for it, although she wasn't obliged to do so. She said... she's the best friend she ever had."



The moment you finish, you notice the glistening in her eyes and...

She's crying.


Blinking quickly, she tears her gaze away from you and reaches into her silver clutch purse, pulling out a yellow handkerchief and dabbing quietly at her eyes.

When she looks at you again, her composure returned slightly but her eyes are red-rimmed and filled with raw emotions.


And you know that she is the best friend your grandmother was talking about.




"Your grandmother..." Her voice breaks slightly. "She is my best friend too, but I..."

She pauses again to swipe at a fallen tear. "I was overseas when she passed away and... I never got to say a proper goodbye."


You are unsure how to respond so you only nod.




"We were friends since middle school. Things drifted a little after our own consecutive marriages, but when my husband passed away from cancer, we met again at the funeral. Your grandma was my strongest pillar of support during that time. Several years later, your parents passed and she had some financial difficulties since your grandfather wasn't around anymore, so she asked me for help.

All I had was money, and it was a small thing compared to the friendship she had offered. But she wasn't one to owe people, so she made a promise. She got me this gold necklace..."

The elder reveals a half of the exact gold sphere necklace from her purse.




"And promised that if, I ever need any help, regardless how big a task, she will take it upon herself to fulfill it. And if she doesn't live to do it, her grandchildren will take her place. I never actually thought I will need it, but... Ga-eun ssi, I have a huge favor to ask."

She seems nervous and you bite your lower lip before acknowledging.




"Y-Yes?"


"I understand that you are not yet married?"

You are utterly thrown off by the question.




"Erm... No. No, I'm not married." You shake your head.

"And no boyfriend either?" She asks again.


Not before I got dumped.




"No, I'm... not attached." You affirm with another short twitch of your head.

"You know, I have a grandson..." She begins carefully. "Who's got a slight phobia of marriage due to... his parent's divorce. His first and only relationship didn't end so well, and though he's really sweet and eligible, he hasn't been looking for anyone else since.

I've tried setting him up on a few dates but he's never really gone past the first meeting and... I'm worried if he continues to be like that, he'll be alone for the rest of his life. All I want for him is to get married and... Be happy."



You nod patiently, but fails to see how you fit into the situation.



"And then I saw your profile in the dating agency I've been engaging to get my grandson his dates. At first, I didn't recognize you because you've grown so much... And gotten so much prettier..." She smiles tenderly at you and you return the gesture meekly. "But after a quick check on your background, I realize you are her grand daughter. And as fate would have it, my grandson chose you as his date. I remembered the promise your grandmother made years ago and thus I'm here, now, asking you a very important question."

She pauses for a breath.

 



"Ga-eun ssi, on behalf of my grandson, I would like to ask for your hand in marriage."

 




You blink.




"W-What?" You croak, barely containing your shriek.



"Marriage, Ga-eun ssi. I'm asking you to please, marry my grandson." She repeats surely.


"M-marry? But- I..."



"I know it's pretty much of a shock," Her one hand comes to pat you reassuringly on yours but the effect is anything but that. "I would have waited for you two to date first and go from there, however... I don't have much time left."


You stare at her, clearly befuddled.



 



"Ga-eun ssi, I'm... dying."

It comes out as a whisper.




You can't speak.


She sighs.



"The tumor in my brain is like a ticking bomb. My doctor said if I'm lucky and take good care of myself, I'll get another six months or so. But the thing is unstable, and I might just drop dead tomorrow. Before I leave, I'd like to see my grandson in good hands. And I know you are one, because I've heard all about you from your grandma... Delightful and caring, persevering despite the difficult circumstances.

And if there's anyone I can trust his happiness to at this point of time, it's my best friend's grand daughter, you."




Your brain is reeling from all the information thrown to you as she continues.

"So I'm asking you to spend a month with us, after which, the two of you will get married. And I ask that both of you stay married until the day that I die. If you agree to do that, after I pass on, a part of my inheritance will go to you."



You are rendered speechless.


"You don't have to answer me straight away. I'll give you a few days to think about it. And when you are ready, just let me know and I'll arrange for your move-in immediately. Your younger brother will also be invited to stay with us. But knowing that his university is closer to your current place, he is welcomed to continue staying there. I'll pay for the rent and arrange for a butler. And... I'll also pay for his upcoming surgery."




You prick up at the last sentence. Youngjae's surgery.



"I-I..."

 

It's too much to take and you feel like you are coming down with a massive headache. "But I don't even know your grandson..."



"Oh," She chuckles lightly. "You'll like him, definitely. He's a deejay, very popular and a total sweetheart."




A deejay?

"What's his name?" You ask.

 





"Kyungsoo. My grandson's name is Do Kyungsoo."

 

 

▲▲▲

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: i was trying to flesh out the plot in the beginning so the story devmt might be abit slow... but this is where the cliche/drama starts! pwahahhahaa~~ at least that's what i think~ heh~ do stick with me!! ^^ n hullo to all subscribers n silent readers! yea, that's u! that's u! ! hearte