Give and Take.

Still loving you~ Oneshot Request Shop

Oneshot requested by eundere

poster by Rin @InfinitePossibilities


Hello. My name is Lee Jiae and I am currently struggling to deal with a one-sided love. I'm in love with the person who is in love with my sister, Jieun. I can't blame him. Jieun is pretty and talented at everything she does, she is funny and cute, adored by all of the boys in our school. The problem for him? She has absolutely no idea he exists because she's crushing on someone else.

The problem for me? He wants me to help him become noticed by Jieun and being the idiot I am, I agreed to it because I hoped that maybe he would fall in love with me instead along the way. Harsh reality settled in not long after, life is not a fairytale and even if it were, I am surely no princess.

The boy? My sunbae, Kang Minhyuk. I'll start by telling you about how we first met and why exactly I'm so in love with him. 

When I started high school, no one even bothered to notice my existence. I didn't blame them, I was pretty plain looking. I had long, black hair and a plain face. I was short, but not abnormally so. I didn't wear my uniform skirt extremely high like the other girls, I left it at its original length. I was a total nerd, I never took off my glasses at all. There was nothing for my fellow students to notice about me anyway.

I was walking in the library one day, a large stack of books in my hands. I was trying to find just the right research book for my science project and struggling with the weight of them. I heard a few whispers and giggles and then it happened.

Someone stuck their foot out in front of me, purposely causing me to drop my books and fall on top of them. I looked up to see random people I didn't even know laugh and walk away. I winced as I tried to sit up, both of my knees stinging. I noticed that they were both scraped and sighed. Out of nowhere, a hand waved in front if my face. I looked up to see an extremely attractive guy giving me a concerned look while gesturing for me to take his hand.

Hesitantly, I did just that and he helped me up. He gathered the books that were scattered in front of me and set them down at the table that was next to him. He then turned to look at me. "Are you alright? I can't believe those idiots tripped you like that, you could have seriously gotten hurt. My name is Kang Minhyuk, I'm a third year." He said.

After a moment of staring at him, I spoke. "Ne, I'm fine. Um, thanks for helping pick up my stuff. To be honest, I'm surprised they even paid attention to me, no one does. I'm Lee Jiae, a first year." I said timidly, avoiding his eyes.

"You're welcome, and I noticed you, didn't I? Forget about those other guys. They've got nothing else better to do than to pick on a nice girl like you. It's nice to meet you, Jiae." Minhyuk said, smiling brightly. I felt myself blush and butterflies flutter aimlessly in my stomach. I just nodded and gave him a small smile, not trusting my voice.

Minhyuk ended up helping me pick out a couple of books to use for my project and offered to walk me home. We talked about random things along the way, our likes and dislikes, things like that. We ended up having quite a lot in common. "Um, thanks for walking me back sunbae. Would you like to come in for tea or something?" I asked nervously as we stood outside the apartment building my sister, mother and I live in. 

He agreed  and when we inside the apartment I realized that nobody was home besides us. I brought Minhyuk to the kitchen and put the kettle on for the tea and then sat across from him at the table, talking about random things. When I got up to take the kettle of the stovetop and pour the tea evenly into two mugs, the front door opened and then closed a second later.

I turned around just as Jieun popped her head into the kitchen. "Oh, unnie welcome home. This is Minhyuk-sunbae, he helped me out in the library and offered to take me home." I said excitedly. Jieun looked at Minhyuk, who had his back to me and smiled. "Hi, I'm Jiae's older sister Jieun. It's nice to meet you." She said in a cheerful tone, bowing to him. He said a quiet hello and bowed.

Jieun excused herself and went to her room to do her homework. I brought the tea over to the table and set Minhyuk's mug down on the table, taking my seat across from him while blowing on my tea. I placed it on the table to cool off and looked up at Minhyuk, who was already looking at me.

"Jiae, I know this seems totally sudden and weird, but.." He started. My heart instantly began to race at his words and I remember feeling so hopeful. "I think I've fallen for Jieun, I know I just met her and all but wow. Do you think you could possibly talk to  her for me?" He asked. My breath hitched in my throat and I fought back tears with all my might. "Sure.." I managed to choke out, swearing I could hear my heart break.

I know exactly what most people would think of that. That I was an idiot for agreeing, and I know it's true. I blame myself all the time. It's been four months since then and I still like Minhyuk regardless of the fact that I know he'll never like me. Since then, I've changed myself in failed attempts to get Minhyuk to notice me instead.

I died my hair brown and got contacts instead of wearing my glasses, I hiked up my uniform skirt just a little higher and started wearing the same perfume Jieun wears. He told me that I look 'really different' without my glasses and that was about it. I have tried anything and everything to get his attention, but nothing works. I've had to 'conveniently' go to the store while Minhyuk was over so he could spend time with Jieun, as well as other stupid things like that.

Luckily for me, Jieun only thinks of Minhyuk as a caring older brother and thinks nothing of it. She's madly in love with some third year named Woohyun. I don't know what I would do if Jieun and Minhyuk actually started dating.  I don't even want to think about it.

"Jiae...Jiae! Are you listening?" I looked up at Minhyuk, who had apparently been calling my name. "Sorry, could you repeat that?" I asked, finally acknowledging him. "Fine. As I was saying, I was thinking for Jieun's birthday next month you could help me throw her a surprise party? I'm thinking of asking her out then as well.." He chirped, waiting for my answer.

I felt a stab of pain at his words, but ignored it. "Sure," I said in a monotone voice. Minhyuk gave me a curious look. "Jiae, are you okay?" He asked. "There's no point in explaining it. It's getting later, I've got to go home and study." I said in the same tone, getting up and grabbing my bag. "Okay, I'll walk you." He offered. 

"It's fine, I can get home by myself sunbae. Goodnight." I mumbled in an annoyed tone, walking out the door before he could say a thing. I was beginning to grow angry with him. I'm just sick and tired of being a nobody in his eyes.

--

"JIAE GUESS WHAT!" Jieun screamed, running into the apartment. "Oh, Minhyuk-sunbae, you're here too! Both of you guess what then!" She chirped. We looked at her expectantly. 

"Woohyun oppa asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes! Wah, I'm so happy! I simply can't. I'm gonna go call Haneul and tell her about this!" Jieun revealed, hopping up and down with excitement. Haneul is her best friend. Without waiting on a reply from either of us, she ran to her room, closing the door.

I looked over at Minhyuk, who looked defeated. "She never even called me 'oppa'. Jiae-yah, what do I do?" He asked, frowning. I don't know why, but a fuse finally blew inside my brain. I had too much pent-up anger and I couldn't handle it anymore.

"What do you do? What do you mean, what do you do? You move on, obviously! If you truly care about unnie you would support her and be happy for her, like I was with you the entire time up until now. It , doesn't it? Having your heart broken because the person you love could care less about you. Now you know how I've been feeling since the day we met. I fell for you that day, and you fell for my sister. If that wasn't enough, you proceeded to ask me to help set you up. Being the girl I am I agreed because I knew I didn't have a chance anyway, I am nothing compared to Jieun. I changed my appearance, hoping that you would fall for me instead of her but that never happened and it hurts. I'm done with this, sunbae. I'm done allowing myself to be in so much pain because the person I have been crazy about for the past four months has been in love with my sister. I'm done. I've tried everything I possibly could to get you to like me, but it was useless. I give up on you, and you should give up on my sister too. She's liked Woohyun for over a year now, I don't think you want to ruin that for her." I snapped. 

As soon as I'd finished speaking, I kicked Minhyuk out, refusing to listen to his protests and slamming the door in his face. I then walked over to Jieun's room and opened the door. She was sitting at her desk, on the computer. At the sound of her door opening, she turned to look at me.

Not a second later, she wrapped me in a hug. "Oh, Jiae-yah... Is this about Minhyuk?" She asked, my hair. My eyes widened. "You heard?" I asked shakily. She pulled away and nodded, sitting me down on her bed. "I heard, but even before then I already knew. I lied about Woohyun. I'm the one that poured my heart out to him and lucky enough for me, he accepted my confession. I wasn't planning on telling him but I figured if I did, Minhyuk might leave me alone and pay more attention to you. I could tell right from the day you introduced me that you liked him. You never so much as looked at boys before you met him and suddenly, you were changing your appearance to be noticed by one. I know my little sister," Jieun said quietly, giving me a sympathetic look.

I gave Jieun a weak smile and a hug. "You are the best sister I could ever possibly ask for, thank you unnie." I said quietly. She just nodded and patted my back.

Two Weeks Later--Minhyuk's P.O.V

I was on my way out of the school when I saw Jiae by her locker, putting her shoes on. I ran up to her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Jiae, thank God I saw you. I really need to-" I started, but she cut me off.

"Leave me alone, Minhyuk. I don't want to speak to you." She snapped, adjusting her bag and turning to walk away. "Since when do you not call me sunbae?" I asked, ignoring her rude tone.

"Since I lost every last ounce of respect I had for you." She said in a tone so cold I got chills. With one last glare at me, she turned and walked away.

She started wearing glasses again and her hair was back to it's original black colour. I've noticed some things about Jiae in these past two weeks. 

  1. I did not want her out of my life.
  2. Glasses or not, black hair or not, she is beautiful.
  3. I'm an idiot for not realizing she was head over heels for me the whole time.
  4. I'm an idiot for not taking the time to notice how wonderful Jiae is in general.
  5. I know absolutely nothing at all about Jieun besides the fact that she is pretty and energetic, whereas I know everything there is to know about Jiae.

Watching her walk away like that and be so cold to me made my chest hurt. It felt like someone was squeezing it really hard. Then I thought about something else. I just may be in love with Lee Jiae.  She's nerdy but cute, funny but serious, optimistic but rational. She is caring and sweet, and would make the most perfect girlfriend ever and I didn't even give her the time of day.

I leaned against the lockers put my face in my hands. There's got to be a way to fix this, this can't be the end. I won't let Jiae and I be over before we get the chance to start.  I pulled my phone from out of my pocket and sent Jieun a text. 

To: Lee Jieun

Jieun-ah, I need your help. Meet me at the park near the school in twenty minutes! Palli~

Message sent!

Two Days Later- Jiae's P.O.V

I walked into my room and shut the door, sitting on my bed. I was still extremely angry about what happened the other day. How could Minhyuk even have the nerve to talk to me after I made it clear I wanted nothing do do with him anymore? Guys are idiots.

I was about to grab a book from my night stand when my bedroom door creaked open. I turned to find Jieun standing in the doorway, smiling at me. "Jiae-yah~ Will you go to the park with me?" She asked sweetly, making me raise an eyebrow.

"Jieun-ah...What are you up to? Go with Woohyun." I said quietly. She shook her head. "Woohyun's out with the guys tonight and it's sunset, I can't just go by myself! Please~~~" She begged. I sighed, defeated. There was no way she would leave me alone if I didn't go. 

I got up and grabbed my sweater. "Fine. Let's go, I don't even know why you want to go to the park but oh well. You're lucky I'm feeling nice." I told her, walking out the door. She squealed and followed behind me.

The park wasn't very far from our apartment building, so it didn't take long to get there. We walked into the entrance and Jieun stopped  walking. "I'm gonna grab us a soda! Wait for me on the benches or something." She said, already turning and walking off. With a sigh, I did as told but stopped in my tracks the second I got close to the benches. 

Sitting on one of them was Minhyuk, holding a single red rose. He was wearing a white button down shirt with a black bow-tie and black skinny jeans.  He looked extremely attractive and I bit my lip hard before turning away. I'm not supposed to have these feelings, but I still do. I want to get over him, but I can't.

Instead, I just ignore him, hoping it'll go away.

"Jiae..Don't walk away again." Minhyuk called after me. "Look, if that rose is for Jieun, her and Woohyun are still going strong so it isn't going to work." I said, turning so I could  look at him. 

Minhyuk let out a heavy sigh and came over to me. "It's nor for Jieun. I realized in the time that you weren't speaking to me that you're a wonderful person, and I'm an idiot for not realizing it sooner. You're everything I could possibly want in a girl, whereas I only liked Jieun for her looks, which was stupid of me. In my eyes now, you are much more beautiful. I know you probably hate me, but I wanted to let you know that while you were trying to distance yourself from me, you stole my heart without realizing it." He said, holding the rose out to me.

I put my hands over my mouth, completely unable to believe what I was hearing. "Minhyuk...Do you..Do you really mean that?" I asked hesitantly. I never would have ever expected to hear Minhyuk say those words. Ever. 

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Are you seriously asking me that? Of course I really mean it! I wouldn't have gotten Jieun to bring you here, or dressed like this and got you a rose if I wasn't sincere. Jiae, I really like you. I know I've been a total idiot and I hurt you but I really hope you'll consider giving me a second chance anyway." He said. This time, I took the rose from his hands.

His confession made my heart race and I had no doubt in my mind that I was blushing like crazy. "I'll give you a second chance." I said, looking him straight in the eyes. A huge smile spread across his face and he threw his arms around me, picking me up and spinning me around. "I promise I'll make you the happiest girl in the world, Lee Jiae!" He yelled, before setting me down. I was giggling like an idiot.

"You already have." I said, before placing a soft kiss on Minhyuk's lips.

Sure, life is no fairytale but at least some people get to have a happy ending.


Authors Note

The end! I'm sorry it took so long, I was going to upload it yesterday but I was waiting on the poster. I hope you liked it!!