Who Needs School

Sungjong in Wonderland

Sungjong sighed once again as he took out his textbook, flopped it onto the desk and slumped his shoulder across the desk. It was his first year at high school and it was even tougher than he thought. Sungjong despised school, his 3 year sentence. Unlike many of the relatively ambitious students, Sungjong had no interest in studying. Instead he would sit in lessons, daydreaming and eating a packet of sweets whilst the teachers were teaching. The teachers secretly knew that Sungjong was not paying attention, but due to the overwhelmingly large number of students in the classroom and the small period of teaching time for the teachers, they did not really bother giving out punishments, as their main goals were to make sure the students learned as much as possible, not to mention Sungjong's teachers were relatively nice.

"Boring." Sungjong murmured as he remembered the overwhelming amount of homework he had to do one day.

One day at lunchtime, after Sungjong got a tray from the lunch ladies consisting of regular rice, kimchi, spinach, bean sprouts, kim and bukoguk, he went over to a table right where his only friend Myungsoo, also known as L, was sitting. Myungsoo's chosen English name was Liam, however he decided to make his nickname L just because L was the first letter of his nickname and that he was not bothered to say "Liam Kim" in full. Sungjong liked L. He was known for having the good looks and the charm at school, as well as being class president in Sungjong's class. After Sungjong sat next to L, he noticed L listening to Sistar whilst studying math.

"L?" Sungjong called out to L. No answer.

"L!" Sungjong called out once again, but in a louder voice, nudging L harder.

"Huh, wha- Oh hello Sungjong! What's up?" L asked.

"You're studying math?!" Sungjong asked. "Who needs to study anyways?"

"We all have to choice but to take in what we get." replied L with a smile.

"Why?" whined Sungjong. "What's the use of studying? It's much better to sleep and daydream all the time."

L ignored him, thinking that it was a very ridiculous thing he heard. He went back to his math, pretending not to hear what Sungjong said.

"This is so annoying." pouted Sungjong. "So what if I don't have ambitions? I can be a K-pop star. That could be a lot more fun than studying."

 

That afternoon, Sungjong's mother, Ms. Lee came driving to the school entrance to pick Sungjong up. "Hi honey, how was school today?" she asked.

"Good." Sungjong replied.

Whilst driving, Ms. Lee continued to talk to Sungjong. "Sungjong, I'm a little worried about you. Your homeroom teacher called me and said you haven't been paying attention in class, is that true?"

"No." Sungjong lied.

"You were daydreaming and eating sweets, weren't you?" Ms. Lee asked suspiciously.

Sungjong did not answer. He just stared at his feet.

"For shame, Sungjong. You're a big boy now. You have to study if you want to make a living of your own." said Ms. Lee.

Sungjong could not bear hearing the same thing over and over again. So he sulked and said that school was a nuisance.

"I'm thinking about signing you up for hagwon classes." said Ms. Lee, before making the left turn. "If you can't study independently, I'm afraid I have no choice."

"I DON'T WANNA!" Sungjong wailed over and over again.

Stopping at a red traffic light, Ms. Lee put her face very close to Sungjong's.

"You're going to hagwon sessions, and that's final." she said sternly.

Sungjong sighed as his mother parked the car in the apartment parking lot and they headed for the flat.