Chapter 11

Love You More

Ji Kyung, you can see me? Really? I'm not dreaming right?

"Seriously, Ji Kyung, when did you start seeing him? Why didn't you tell me?"

On the way back home, she was bombarded with multiple questions by the two bewildered guys who trailed behind her back. Initially, she wanted to explain everything once they reach home, but it almost seemed impossible to wait until then, as since the moment they left the café, they wouldn’t stop pestering her for an answer.

She stopped before the traffic light and looked back at the guys. A sigh escaped and she cleared to prepare herself to speak.

"I saw Byunghun from the first time he appeared. I couldn’t believe it at first, but when I caught you whispering stuffs to him, I was assured that I wasn’t hallucinating. I kept it as a secret up until now, because I have been trying to figure out what business does Byunghun has with you." She fixated her eyes onto Myungsoo as the string of words flow out from without a pause.

By the time was closed, Myungsoo’s eyes widened from surprise and he felt his heart racing at her confession. Whereas, Byunghun was just smiling satisfyingly as if he has won the game, because Ji Kyung wasn’t as clueless as it seems.

---

That night, Ji Kyung had to do some grocery shopping, but when she checked on Myungsoo in the room, she found him typing away rows and rows of words busily without a rest. Her boyfriend was so focused on his laptop that he was completely oblivious to the fact that Ji Kyung had entered the room. She immediately knew that he had an assignment due soon and so, she didn’t bother to disturb him nor ask him to accompany her to the nearby convenience store. She decided to leave their condominium by herself, but when she thought about it, she wasn’t exactly alone since Byunghun was together with her.

Ji Kyung, are you sure you're going without Myungsoo? It's late and dangerous.

"It's okay... I can manage, besides, you're with me, right?"

But...

The girl shook her head and told him it was enough convincing since she had already made up her mind. She assured him with a smile that everything would be fine, and she would hurry back as soon as possible. In the end, the two went to do the shopping together.

Ji Kyung-ah, so you heard everything I said back at our old house, didn't you? I really meant every word I've said... How can God torture us like this...?

She kept quiet as Byunghun brought up the past, filling her mind with thoughts she had been trying to avoid thinking. She thought she was already showing improvements from grieving for such a long time, and how she was already starting to feel fine. However, now that he was back here by her side, she felt that she was back to Day 1 again. Her heart was back to experiencing immense amount of pain, and she thought she was on the edge of dying inside for the second time. All the memories flashed through her mind, and soon enough, she gave in to the tears that had been threatening to drench her face.

The salesgirl at the counter gave her a weird stare as she rubbed away the tears messily. She took in a deep breath and quickly paid for the things she had bought. Everything seemed to dim down for a little, but Byunghun had to add on something else, breaking the moments of silence between them once again.

Ji Kyung-ah... I'm sorry I have to leave you here with that guy. But please, don't be too comfortable with him, he's not as innocent as you think...

"You're not innocent as I thought you were too." She blurted without much thought. The salesgirl looked puzzled, but Ji Kyung dismissed her and giggled to Byunghun instead.

Hey! I've changed a lot alright? I left my past behind just for you!

"I know, I was just joking, you kn--"

The girl froze. She could feel him embracing her from behind, but there wasn't any warmth. The sudden cold sensation surrounded her body, which made her shiver for a little but she didn’t move a muscle. They stayed in that position for a while and time seemed to stop for them, just like what she had wished for back then.

I'm really sorry for having to leave you first... And God, I miss you so, so much...

"Byunghun..."

When she addressed that particular name that had been lingering in the back of her mind all this while, her voice cracked and tears welled up in her eyes again. It only took her seconds before she finally broke down in tears for another time. Really, she thought to herself, why did things turn out this way...

---

She didn’t consider much when she decided to walk the flight of stairs with Byunghun to go back home. The condo was only located at the fourth floor anyway, she thought, and a part of her wanted to prolong the time spent with Byunghun alone, to dwell in the past for a longer moment, even when her rational mind judged that it was unwise.

As the both walked in pace up the stairs, a comfortable silence wrapped around them and none of them was bothered by it. Everything between them was just so natural, the way he bumped his arm with hers, the way they lock gazes and smiled at each other... It was as if they were brought back to years ago, when they were still an item that people used to admire, when they were still termed the “match made in heaven”.

Nevertheless, when they had reached the second floor, the quietness was disrupted by multiple careful footsteps. Ji Kyung was jolted back to reality, and now she was slightly concerned about the sound. She stopped to check the source, but the footsteps halted as well and there was no one to be seen. Her sixth sense was heightened to tell her that it was definitely not a good sign, as if she had just caught someone trying to tail her. Byunghun felt the same, so he immediately volunteered to go check it out for her.

It didn’t take him long enough before he came back and confirmed their suspicion. Someone was indeed tailing her. And the guy had a knife.

At that moment, the worried girl felt her palms covered in cold sweat, and she hastily whispered to Byunghun, "In case anything happens... Please, call Myungsoo right now."

He gave her a quick nod and disappeared into thin air. Now, Ji Kyung was truly all alone so she sped up her footsteps up the stairs. Her heartbeat raced as the seconds ticked by, and it got worse when she heard the mysterious stranger’s footsteps catching up with her pace. She tried to scream for help, but the breathlessness resulted from the running did not allow her to do so.

At the end of the fourth floor, the panicked girl heard a familiar voice calling out to her. It was then she could finally feel a tiny bit of relief because Myungsoo was there to save her. But she knew very well that they were not fully cleared from the danger yet, and it was still not the time to let down her guard.

"Ji Kyung, quick, take my hand!" As soon as his hands were in her sight, she didn’t hesitate to grab onto them obediently, and the couple raced towards the room in no time.

Just when she thought everything was guaranteed to be fine, another challenge was bestowed upon them. This time, it was Myungsoo’s turn to panic.

", why is this thing locked?! Damnit! Ji Kyung, where are your keys?!"

The guy was soon in the couple’s sight, giving off a menacing look and a sly smile. While the two panicked at the locked door, the guy approached them slowly, taking his time with the smile never once faded as if he had already smelt victory in his hands.

While Myungsoo tried to open the door as fast as he could, his hands were shaking with madness and they did not help the situation at all. Ji Kyung began to pray hard, hoping that Byunghun could appear and give them some help.

"Please... Byunghun, help us..."

Seconds passed by, and a frightened scream coming from the dangerous guy took the couple by surprise. Ji Kyung then took the courage to unlatch her eyes and face the guy who was already about ten steps away from them. Then, she realized that he had dropped the knife onto the floor, and she was startled from seeing Byunghun hanging from the ceiling.

What do you think you're doing? Trying to kill my girl?

"W-what the hell?!" The terrified guy shouted; he then cautiously took a few steps backward before hurriedly fled the scene in a blink of an eye.

When Byunghun re-appeared in front of the couple who were still panting and sweating heavily, Ji Kyung looked at him with a puzzled face. She wondered how he was able to show himself in front of a random person, but anyhow, she noticed that he was having a nervous smile on him as he scratches his head.

Byunghun returned the gaze at Ji Kyung, then at Myungsoo, before mumbling to himself with a scared voice,

Gosh, guess I will be punished again.