December 26th, Wednesday

Baby, It's Cold Outside

 

"Dad… dad wake up, I need to talk to you." Mr Yang rubbed his eyes slowly, coming to conscience. Yoseob was sitting at the corner of the bed with that look he only had when he needed to share something. Mr Yang couldn't lie, he saw that coming. Actually, he thought he provoked it. He straightened himself in bed and saw Yoseob biting his lip before beginning to talk, "I'm sorry I woke you up this early but I'm leaving to work soon and when I'll be back home you'll have already left for home. There's something I really need to tell you…"

Mr Yang decided to adopt the most direct strategy, "It's about Junhyung, isn't it?" Yoseob pursed his lips and nodded. Mr Yang looked straight at his son's eyes, "You still like him, don't you?" Yoseob looked down and started tracing patterns with his fingers at the bedspread. "I don't know; maybe… But the point is: I kissed him. I initiated it and I know I shouldn't have because it gave him hope." "Seob-ah, are you sure there isn't any hope left for you guys? I've been watching the two of you; the way you are with each other, the way you look at each other. You have chemistry, there's no denial."

Yoseob was beginning to be exasperated, "I'm not denying it. When we are together it's great, but the moment he steps away all I can see is flashes of him with another guy." Mr Yang sighed and then held both of his son's shoulders to emphasize his point. “Seob-ah, look at me. I know what Junhyung did was awful and disgusting, but it's also not him. You know nobody watches over your happiness as much as me; I'm your dad for crying out loud! If I brought Junhyung with me is because I believe he's truly sorry. You are both so young; having a stable relationship is hard and he got lost. He still loves you and his eyes tell me he thinks you are the most precious thing in this world."

Tears were forming in Yoseob's eyes and his voice broke as he spoke, "How can I forget the past, dad? It will always be there as a ghost haunting me. How can I trust him again? Besides, nothing have changed; we are still bandmates and we both have our different schedules. How can I be here thinking all the time he's probably out there with someone else? Does it matter if I love him if I can't get myself to trust him again?" Mr Yang shook his head; he hated seeing his son so broken as he was now.

"You have a point, Seob-ah. Can I tell you what I see? I see how you were low without Junhyung and since we got here you lit up. You lit up the same way you did when you were on stage. And when I look at Junhyung; when I looked at him the time you weren't speaking, I see a kid who was made a mistake and who would do anything to take it back. He hates himself more than anyone for what he did. And I think he's doing the right thing now; he's giving you your space but also not giving up. I like him Seob; I believe his regret."

"I know he's sorry, but that doesn't automatically makes me truth him again. Without trust how can we build a relationship? We can't just mess around; it would end up hurting both of us." "I trust your judgment son; but can I leave you with something to consider? Don't let your pride be the only thing in the way of your happiness." Yoseob's tears finally escaped his eyes as he went for a hug, "Oh appa; I love you so much." Mr Yang kissed the top of his head, "I love you too, Seob-ah. All I want is to see you happy."

Yoseob got home back from work by the end of the afternoon. He entered his apartment filling drained out. However, he was surprised by an inviting smell coming from the kitchen. He went straight there and saw Junhyung half-hidden behind some plastic bags on the counter. The older smiled as soon as he saw him. "Care for Chinese? I thought you would come home tired and took the liberty of setting the table." Yoseob let out a tired sigh and smiled. "It was heaven sent, Junhyung."

Junhyung's smile went wider, "I hope you still like the tangerine chicken." Yoseob's smile grew wider as he washed his hand and went for the table, "It's still my favourite, thank you." Junhyung took a can of cola from the refrigerator and joined Yoseob, "You are letting me stay over; it was only polite." Yoseob took the first bite and found out that the taste of the food was as good as its smell. Unconsciously, a loud moan escaped him to which Junhyung chuckled. Yoseob caught his friend staring at him and blushed, "Sorry; but this is delicious!" Junhyung laughed, "I found this Chinese place that looked friendly on my way back from Myeongdong and remember how my mom always taught me never to go to someone's house empty handed. When I opened the door and felt the tangerine smell, I thought of surprising you with dinner."

Yoseob smiled, "Always the gentleman…" Junhyung blushed and looked down at his food. Yoseob immediately found it adorable but reminded himself he should be keeping that kind of thoughts away, particularly now that they would be alone in the apartment for a couple of days… The younger drove his mind to a safer place and tried small talk, "So Junhyung-ah, tell me about your day. You said you went to Myeongdong…" Junhyung seemed glad to keep this kind of conversation too, "Yeah, that was my original plan: looking around Myeongdong to kill time and just relax. It was so gorgeous there this period of time; I even saw some snow falling. I allowed myself to lunch a hotdog at the playground."

Yoseob laughed, "Yong Junhyung eating a hotdog? That's new… And the playground, Junhyung?" Junhyung blushed again but this time he kept talking, "It's cute! Have you been there yet?" Yoseob bit his lip and shook his head, Junhyung indeed was adorable. The older raised his eyebrow as to emphasize his point as he answered, "You should; I think you'd love it." Their eyes met and they kept the gaze for a while. Yoseob then spoke in a serious tune, "I'm glad you are here. I mean it. I thought I would be okay spending the holidays by myself, but now I feel that the loneliness and the quietness of the dorm would have let me kind of blue."

Junhyung's lips twisted in a smile that caught his eyes, "I'm glad I can help you somehow." This time Yoseob was the one blushing which his pale skin turned into something very evidential. That night, as they said their good-nights before going to bed; Yoseob gave Junhyung a friendly hug. Junhyung found it easier to get asleep for the first time since arriving at the dorm.