A chapter

The second heart

Key's POV

Minho opened the door with a key and motioned me to enter. the lights were turned off and nobody seemed to be home.I took off my shoes and followed Minho into the kitchen. He told - more like whispered - me to sit sow.

The taller male started searching the drawers for something while I looked around. There were million pictures on the walls. In some of them I vaguely recognized my new psychologist. Sometimes he had an elderly woman by his side, sometimes he would be surrounded by a lot of kids. In one of the pictures I counted up to 5 kids - and none of them were Minho. 

This puzzled me. The family obviously enjoyed taking pictures so it's impossible that there wasn't a single picture of the frog-like boy. I looked around once more but still found no sign of Minho's pictures.

"Umm.... we don't really have anything to eat...." - Minho checked a pot one last time before turning to me with a sad expression.

"It's okay -  am not hungry." - I gave him an awkard smile. He chuckled.

"Yeah right.... I know that you don't visit the cafeteria...." - Suddenly he darted towards the refrigerator and opened the freezer. i looked over at him curiously while he took something out.

"Key... Would you like some ice cream?" - I looked at the tub of vanilla ice cream in Minho's hands.. I can't even remember the last time I had ice cream... Subconciously I my lips which earned me a chuckle from Minho.

"I'll take that as a 'yes'." - He pulled over a chair for himself, took out two spoons and sat down offering me one of the spoons.

I thanked him quietly and started eating. The ice cream was really good.... Honestly I didn't even remember myself ever liking ice cream so much.

There was an awkward silence. 

"So.... Minho...." - He looked up at me. - "How many siblings do you have?" - I immediately regretted asking the question as I saw Minho's face fall.

"Zero...."

"What about the pic...." - My question died away as I realized that I was going too far.

"Those kids are not my brothers..... They are Dc. Choi's children." - I looked at him weirdly which he noticed. - "Dr. Choi is my uncle...."

I wanted to ask him where his parents were but I kinda figured out the answer from Minho's face...

"How did it happen?" - I asked quietly - my voice no louder than a whisper...

"My dad died before I was even born in a car accident.... My mom passed away 8 years ago from cancer..." - He put his sppon down and rested his head on his hands. - "Dr. Choi is my father's brther. After my mom died, he and his wife took me in... At that time they already had 4 children.... And they were struggling with money... But they still took me in"

I nodded my head. There was silence again.

I looked out the window and noticed that it started raining. The window waas all covered in little beads of water glistening in rhe sun.

"It's raining." - I said not taking my eyes away from the fascinating sight.

"Huh?" - Minho looked up.

"It's raining.." - I repeated.

"Uh?....yeah......"

And we just stayed like that - quiet and watching the rain.

Minho broke the silence.

"The ice cream is going to melt..."

I tore my eyes away from the window, nodded and started eating again.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

"So.... how old are Dc. Choi's kids...?" - I swallowed a big lump of ice cream and mentally screames when I got a brain freeze.

"Oh.... Umm... Dongwoo... is a year older than me so.... 19... Jinyoung is.... 16.... Junhwan is 14..... Sunwoo is 12 and so is Chansik.... They're twins..... Not identical though....." - I nodded.

"...Do any of them go to your school...?.... Our school?" - That place felt so alien to me that it was still hard to call it 'mine'.

"Uhh... No..... Dongwoo quit school after middle school..... And the rest don't go to high school yet....." - I nodded.

I took another spoon full of ice cream and put in my mouth savouring the taste.

"Thanks..." - My head snapped up to look at Minho with confusion.

"Huh?"

"Thanks...." - He looked at me and smiled.

"...For what?" - I the spoon clean and put it down.

"Just thanks....."

I studied his face for a few seconds before resting my head on the chair's back.

The ticking of the clock was hypnotising me and I felt myself get drowsier by the second.

I suddenly thought I saw Taemin yelling at me. And his brother eating all of Minho's ice cream..... Why were they even here???

Suddenly Minho's phone rang, I shot up from my comfortablre position and looked at the clock. 

HOLY COW!!! I slept for 15 minutes!!!!!

It felt like..... 1 minute.

Minho pressed the phone to his ear and left the room hoping to talk in private while I took in my surroundings.

No Taemin, no Jinki could be seen so I just decided to ignore the fact that I had an actual dream about them. Minho had already put the ice cream away. I my dry lips.

Minho came back into the kitchen with a worried-apologetic-deepinthought expression.

I curiously looked at him.

"Key..... I am sorry but Dr. Choi won't come today.....  Apparently Sunwoo fainted during his track practice and my uncle is going to check up on him in the hospital....."

Halleluya!!!!!! I silentely thanked all the gods that existed for this miracle and did a mental happy dance whil reamining completely stoic on the outside.

After a while I started to feel bad for my happiness cause I knew that a child had fainted and I should be sorry.

I stood up and muttered an "it's okay" before picking up my backpack and swinging it over one of my shoulders.

"He brings his apologies and it's obviously okay if you don't pay for this session." - Minho shuffle with his feet.

I looked at him for a while.

"After my mom died, he and his wife took me in... At that time they already had 4 children.... And they were struggling with money... But they still took me in"

"No.... My parents will pay..... If I tell them not to they will think that I skipped it."

Minho opened his mouth to protest but decided against it. I gave him a small wave, thanked him for the ice cream and left his house. He offered to take me to the bus stop but I declined saying that I wasted enough of his time.

The air was cold. I took a left after exiting the house and made my way to an unfamiliar street....

I looked around trying to remember the way. 

Crap.....

The lights on the streets weren't working and I suddenly felt like a heroine of a horror movie that would be killed due to her own stupidity.

Why the hell had I declined Minho's help????

I stood still for a while before suddenly the street lit up. I turned around and saw a car approaching. It stopped before me.

I took a step back.

Quick! Kibum, think of a plan and do the opposite since noneof your plans ever work!!!

I decided to turn around and run.

"Hey!"

I stooped dead...... The voice was familiar.

"Hey, Kibum-shi!!!!"

I turned around. The window rolled down and a familiar head popped out.

"J-joon-shi......?"

 

********************************************************************************************************************************************

I am well aware of the fact that you probably wish to kill be atthis moment^^ But nonetheless I apologise for not updating in a long time.......