5

Cannibal

 

The thin layer that separated them was soon gone.
 
 
Days passed quickly like this. They were never monotonous. Everyday Luhan had a new skill to teach Minseok, and Minseok would always learn it well by the end of the day without disappointing him. Except for one day when Luhan decided to teach him how to start a fire and Minseok burnt a gaping hole in his beloved shirt. He had whined and cried and cursed ("Darn it, I can't wear this now!") until Luhan suggested to him to wear his loincloths. Minseok had then let out a wail that sounded eerily reminiscent of a dying pig. 
 
 
Minseok wasn't used to wearing loincloths because he had never shown this much skin before (his underwear covered more skin than that) and for the first few days he was jittery about showing his body in front of Luhan. To which Luhan just laughed and told him to relax, because he had seen much worse. The flower of friendship blossomed between them. They hunted together, ate together, slept together (not in that way, of course) and became inseparable.
 
 
They were lying on a grass field near Luhan's hut, contemplating the mysteries of the universe, when Minseok came up with a brilliant idea.
 
 
"Hey, let's give each other nicknames!" Minseok said excitedly. Luhan seemed intrigued with the idea and nodded.
 
 
"You should call me baozi," said Minseok, with his back on the ground. 
 
 
"Baozi? What's that?" Luhan inquired, turning to face Minseok, an innocent and childlike expression on his face. It was just one of the many things Minseok learned to love about Luhan. When Luhan revealed his age, Minseok couldn't stop gasping.
 
 
"Seriously? Are you sure you're only one month younger than me?" exclaimed Minseok.
 
 
"What, are you calling me old?" 
 
 
"No, it's just... you're baby-faced," admitted Minseok. (For the record, Luhan blushed.) 
 
 
"They're steamed buns. It's a type of Chinese food. People always remarked that I looked like one because of my chubby cheeks," he puffed up his cheeks to show Luhan what he meant. Luhan simply stared without saying a word, as if hypnotised.
 
 
"Again. Again," demanded Luhan a few moments later. "Do it again." Laughingly, Minseok complied. 
 
 
"You're so adorable, Baozi," Luhan cooed, poking Minseok's right cheek, which caused it to deflate with a light 'pop'. Luhan seemed to find it greatly amusing and so proceeded to poke Minseok multiple times on both cheeks while giggling loudly.
 
 
"You burst my bubble! How could you?" Minseok whined. Oh god what are you doing Minseok? Stop it! Minseok's inner rational mind started berating him but he found himself not caring. Luhan laughed melodiously before creating a new 'bubble' of his own and winking at Minseok. 
 
 
"You cheeky brat." Minseok whacked his arm playfully. Luhan poked Minseok's sides with both fingers (he'd long discovered that ticklish spot) and Minseok was powerless to fight back, rolling back and forth on the ground dying of laughter.
 
 
"Hey Luhan," Minseok called, when they finally stopped fighting and were gazing up at the sky again.
 
 
"Hmm?" 
 
 
"Can I call you little deer then?" Minseok asked, rolling over so that he was lying on his tummy, gazing at Luhan who was now playing with his fingers.
 
 
"Why?"
 
 
"Because you remind me of one. Your eyes, especially. I believe doe-eyed is the correct term for it."
 
 
Luhan frowned. Uh-oh. Bad try, Minseok. Just plain cheesy. He's probably cringing to death right now. Minseok tried to salvage the situation and ended up rambling. "Um, I just, I said what came to me at the moment, I mean, I know it's super corny. I'll think of another one for you though, one that describes you better and―" 
 
 
"Don't, I like it." Luhan's mouth twitched up into a smile. Minseok was surprised and delighted. Come to think of it, his nickname was really corny but he didn't mind because Luhan liked it, and that was all that mattered.
 
 
Minseok thought he simply couldn't get any happier.
 
 
Until Luhan leaned forward to press his lips on his. 
 
 
The kiss wasn't rushed or hurried, but it was slow and romantic, and Minseok savoured every moment of it. Luhan was pressed against Minseok, skin on skin. (Minseok was now sort of glad that he had incinerated his shirt.)
 
 
"I love you," breathed Luhan when their lips came apart.
 
 
"I love you too," Minseok replied, head spinning and unable to move and he thought he might be seeing stars. An ant started making its way up Minseok's arm but he didn't reach down and squash it like he usually would have.
 
 
Because he was simply too happy to care.