Day 9.

Nine days of December.

 

8: 32AM. 21st of December. You woke up to the sound of your phone ringing. You clumsily picked it up, to hear a elderly woman’s unstable voice. ‘You’re Joon’s friend.. right.. Help.. Joon.. He’s leaving..’ You trembled in fear as you said you would be there in 5 minutes. You dashed out of the door not even bothering with your pyjamas.

When you reached, his mom opened the door. Her face was pale and horror struck, her body trembling horribly. You ran into Joon’s room, where you could hear groaning noises from the outside. You ran in, your tears faling down your cheeks.

‘Joon? Joon… Lee Changsun.. Joon..’ You kept calling his name as his expression twisted in pain everytime his head hurt. He managed to get to his senses as his shaking hand clasped against yours, squeezing it everytime it hurt. You couldn’t stop crying at the sight of your loved one suffering, as he finally cried out in pain. ‘Make it stop.. Please..’ He was begging.

His tears flowed down his cheeks again, his body getting weaker and weaker. ‘I’m sorry’ was all you could say as he breathing got heavier and heavier. He softly whispered your name. You edged closer.

‘I love you. I’m sorry I can’t hang on any longer.’

You couldn’t stop crying.

‘I..love you too..’ You said between your sobs.

Joon’s lips curved upwards. Slowly, his eyes closed as his muscles loosened. And then it was quiet.

Everything after that was a mess. Joon’s mom cried a waterfall before she called the ambulance. You stopped crying, maybe because Joon was finally able to rest, without suffering. But nothing could stop your heart from feeling empty, like the whole world didn’t exist anymore.

How do you live on when the reason for you living has been taken away?

Joon was buried at one of the cemetries nearby on the 23rd of December. Not many attended the burial. Everything was quiet. Empty. Gone.

You didn’t sleep for the past three days, busy helping Joon’s mom with everything you could do. When you finally went back home, the news was blarring on the TV. ‘The world hasn’t ended!’

Yeah. 21st of December passed, peacefully. The world hasn’t ended, but your world ended, that day.

You went into your room. You took 3 things out of your bag. First, the Hulk. With your name hung on a piece of paper beside it. Second, the photos. Of you and him. Third, a letter. You opened it gently, as if you could feel Joon beside you as you did. You read the words he wrote in his voice, your tears uncontrollably falling again.

To the one I love most,

You’ve been crying, haven’t you? When you see this, I’m probably gone, right? Its been hard. Its been hard, having to cling onto life so desprately just to see the one I love most being happy. I’m sorry. I’m sorry for lying to you, I’m sorry for approaching you in the first place, I’m sorry for making you cry, again and again. But I’ve never regretted knowing you, I’ve never regretted loving you.

We’ve known each other for.. 8 or 9 days, before I left, right? Please don’t be sad. Please move on, please be happy, please cherish your chance to live before its taken away. I’m sorry for breaking the promise, I really couldn’t stand the torture anymore. I’m sorry you’ve to spend Christmas without me. Did you see the Hulk beside this letter? It’s for you. Its.. to protect you.. when I’m gone.

And to answer your questions, remember the black board? What i wish to do before i die? I wanted to go on a proper date with you and hear you say those three words to me. It happened. And the wish i hung on the tree? I wished that you could find someone better than me and stay happy forever. 

I know I sound silly, I’m sorry. I owe you so much.. for loving me the way you can, for being with me when I was suffering, for making me happy. The past years of my life weren’t very good, but everything changed since I met you. Thank you for making me live happily before I was gone. And.. if you believe in this, lets meet again. In our next life. And the next, and the next, and the next. I never want to stop loving you. This I promise, that no matter what happens, I’ll be waiting for you. In every single next life we have.

Do keep the photos. It’s a request. You know how people say that a person isn’t dead, if someone on the world remembers him? I want to be remembered. Not as a weak cancer patient, but as someone that loved you a lot. Maybe it’ll take you awhile, maybe it isn’t as easy as it sounds, but move on, okay? Find a guy better than me, someone that is healthy and strong, someone that can protect you.

But please don’t forget me. Don’t forget.. that I’m waiting for you in the next life.

Anything else that I have to say has no use anymore, so.. I guess this is goodbye. For real. Not ‘see you tomorrow’, but a real goodbye. I’m sorry I had to leave so fast. But if our story stopped at Chapter 9, lets continue in our next life. I love you.

Lee Chang Sun.

You didn’t know how you were going to move on. You didn’t know how to smile any longer. Because the reason for it was taken away. You hated everything. You hated everyone that could live so happily even after he was gone.

You took a pen and paper out, and you started writing. Chapter 1, the day you met him.

THE END

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Happy end of the world! Ha ha. Just kidding. Sorry Joon had to die though, but the whole story came out inspired by the end of the world, so.. heh. Any ideas for what i should do next? I feel like writing a horror one but it'll mean that some groups have to be 'harmed' in the story ;w;