Day 7.

Nine days of December.

 

[Joon’s POV]

6: 36 AM, 19th of December. Its gotten harder to sleep lately, knowing that I won’t have much time left. I wanted to make every second count. Before.. I was gone. Fear, maybe I felt it. Maybe I really was afraid. Not because I was going to die, but because I was going to lose her. How will she feel when I’m gone?

I sat up on my bed, thinking. The dull ache never left my head these days, and I could tell that my body was getting weaker and skinnier. I felt nauseous easily, and I hardly ate because of the lack of appetite. And then there was that feeling. That told me I was going to leave soon. Normal people can’t feel it, you only feel it when you’re about to die. I don’t know how to explain it, but it just speaks to me. It tells me time is running out.

I grabbed the paper and pen I was using to write just now and continued. I was never a good writer, but this time, I have to make it good. It’s the last thing I’m going to do.

[Your POV]

It was almost 10 in the morning when I woke up. Joon was the first one that popped up in my mind, like always. You took your phone to text him, but he apparently texted you first when you were asleep.

“What should we do today? Lets do something fun!” was all he said.

“I think I know exactly where to go. Are you driving?” You replied.

“Sure. I’ll pick you up in an hours’ time?” Joon.

“Okay!” You.

Two hours later, the both of you were almost reaching the destination.

The place had a beautiful scenery, and since it was on high lands, it was very cold. There was a small shop, selling souvenirs and wooden pieces. You tugged Joon in, and bought two wooden pieces and borrowed two markers. He looked puzzled at first since he didn’t know what you were doing. You pulled him to another side of the place where you could see the scenery of everything below. Near to that was a huge tree, probably a thousand years old.

There was a board in front of it saying “Anything, everything. Hang your wish here, someday it’ll come true.” You were never the type to believe these things, and you knew Joon wasn’t either. But it doesn’t hurt to try, and the scenery was nice, anyway.

You handed him a wooden piece and a marker. He smiled and took it from you, gesturing you to look away as he wrote. You wrote yours too.

“I wish I could turn back time. I wish I could’ve met Joon earlier.” Yours was simple.

You didn’t know what he wrote. He wouldn’t tell you.

When the both of you were done hanging the wishes on the tree, Joon suggested to go for lunch. He drove to a place nearby that sold traditional korean food. The food wasn’t very good, but Joon enjoyed it. So did you.

‘What should we do next~’ You said in a sing-song voice while playing on the swing. The both of you walked to a playground after lunch. ‘I don’t knooow~’ Joon replied in a high pitched singing voice, making you laugh. He suddenly stopped the swing he was sitting on.

‘I know!’ He said. ‘Lets go on a date. A proper one.’

Your heart felt like it was about to burst. Yes, the both of you loved each other, and even kissed each other before, but he never asked you out. Properly. But he was doing it now.

You tried not to blush as you agreed. He smiled at the sight of your shy face and tickled you. ‘What do normal people do on dates?’ He asked.

You shrugged. You’ve never been on a date before. ‘They probably just watch movies, have dinner for two, and maybe do some midnight walk or something romantic.’ You said.

‘Okay! Then that’s exactly what we’ll do!’ Joon said, smiling. ‘Oh! And one more essential thing in a date. The guy and the girl have to take the bus home at night, sitting at the back corner seat of the bus. Right? Right?’ He said, laughing. You could imagine the scene of that happening in all the dramas you’ve watched and you agreed, laughing along with him.

‘So first, we need to send this car back home and pretend it never existed.’ He said, chuckling.

That was exactly what the both of you did. Next, the both of you got on a public bus. It was squeezy because it was at peak hour, but you didn’t mind. You felt Joon’s body pressing against yours as the bus wavered and Joon staggered from where he was standing.

The cinema. ‘What movie should we watch?’ You asked, looking at the movies available. ‘Should it be something romantic?’ Joon asked. ‘But I like comedies better..’ You said softly. Joon grinned. ‘I prefer comedies too.’ He whispered in your ear. You smiled. ‘Comedy it is!’ You said and queued up to buy tickets.

The movie was funny. You laughed your guts out at some parts, and so did Joon. When some boring parts came up, you’d snuggle up beside Joon, feeling his warmth and his breath.

Dinner for two was after the movie. He led you to a restaurant that looked expensive, and told the waiter ‘table for two’ in a high-classed way. You stiffled your laughter as the place had a quiet and dignified feel to it. You sat opposite him on the table. All the people around your table was more mature and quiet, as they ate quietly without the knife or fork even making noises.

Joon ordered steak and some wine. You ordered steak too, hardly knowing how to eat it. When the waiter left, Joon edged closer to you. ‘Do you have any idea which knife should I use?’ Joon whispered, looking at the side of his table with 4 knives on it. You covered your mouth so you wouldn’t laugh as you shook your head to his question.

When the steak came, the both of you clumsily picked up the knife and fork, trying to quietly cut without making noises. That plan obviously failed and the both of you ended up in the center of attention as you noisily chewed your meat and talked as Joon noisily snorted in laughter and knocked his glass of wine with yours.

When the both of you finally walked out of the restaurant, you couldn’t help but laugh at what happened. ‘Wasn’t that embarassing?’ You said, clearly not caring about what the people inside the restaurant thought of you. ‘I know, right. But did you see their faces? HAHAHAHAH!’ Joon said before breaking into fits of laughter again.

Next was a romantic walk. It was pass 11 when the both of you left, and you knew the perfect place to have a midnight walk. It was almost 12 when the both of you reached there by bus.

It was on a huge bridge, with a highway on your left. The right was the night view of the river below you. It was beautiful. You clasped hands with Joon as the both of you walked down the bridge. The raillings on the right side of you had lights that every time someone passed by.

On the raillings with lights, there were words on them. The first one went, ‘How are you?’

‘I’ve never been happier----!’ Joon shouted at the top of his voice.

The next one that came up was ‘Are you with somebody?’

You replied. ‘The person I love most----!’

After that one was another, ‘The weather is good, isn’t it?’

‘Yes~’ The both of you replied together.

The next one, ‘What time is it already?’

Joon checked his watch and said, ’12:39AM.’

Next, ‘Stand here and tell me a secret about you.’

You went up first. ‘I was afraid of Joon when I first met him. He was different. It was scary.’ You whispered quietly.

Joon went next. ‘I didn’t take the treatment, not because I was stubborn or afraid, but because I thought life had nothing for me to look forward too. I was wrong.’

The both of you walked forward more. The next one wasn’t a question. It said, ‘Yah, what type of secret is that, huh?’ The both of you chuckled.

The next, ‘Stand here. In front of me. And shout. As loud as you can, about anything that’s on your mind.’

Joon went first this time. ‘I WANT TO LIVE WITH HER FOREVERRRRRR!’ His voice spread out through the whole city of Seoul.

You went next. ‘I DON’T EVER WANT TO BE SEPARATED FROM HIMMMMMM!’ The whole city could hear it, you were sure.’

The next one. ‘Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?’

‘Yes.’ The both of you said softly at the same time, and Joon pulled you closer into a hug.

‘I love you. More than anything else. And that’s never going to change.’ You said softly.

Joon merely nodded, hugging you tightly like he never wanted to let go.

It was 1 in the morning when the both of you sat in the bus, at the corner seat. You sat beside the window and Joon sat beside you. It started to rain. The raindrops fell on the window as you watched the beautiful scene outside it. You felt something touch you.

It was Joon. He fell asleep, and his head slowly leaned towards your shoulder. ‘You’re tired, aren’t you.’ You whispered softly, touching his face. You traced your fingers across his nose, over his lips and cheeks. You didn’t know how long more you could do this. You didn’t know when he would leave. You heart clenched at the thought of not being able to see him anymore.

[Joon’s POV.]

I felt drowsy almost at once after sitting down in the bus. I was worn out, and especially tired, maybe because of the brain tumor. We’ve reached when she woke me up. She looked tired too, but she looked happy. She looked beautiful.

I sent her back this time. Her house was normal, well furnished on the outside and with a similar size to mine. I waved her goodbye and walked back home. I hit the bed as soon as I was done changing my clothes and washing up. Maybe it was because of the brain tumor, but it felt like I was getting more and more blur and drowsy.

Before I went to sleep, the same words came into my head again. ‘Please let me wake up tomorrow.’