[Henwook] Obvious

Chie's Song Fic Collection {Super Junior, Hey! Say! BEST, Boyfriend, others by request}

 

Song Prompt: Obvious - Westlife
Author: jhengchie
Pairing: Henwook [girl!Ryeowook], ninja in Canada?
Subject: Romance, fluff

rating: PG

summary:  I made it obvious… I’ve crushed on you for so long but on and on you get me wrong
A/N: intended to be a jpop fic but changed my mind… ^^;
Achie means – eldest sister

bold, italicized and underline phrases were part of the song lyrics ^^

 

 


 

 

We started as friends, but something happened inside me

Being the new student in a far away country is something Ryeowook never wanted to experience. Why move at such an untimely schedule? She hesitantly stepped into the building dressed in her plain street clothes.

 

 

“Good Morning Ms. Kim, I believe it’s your first day.”

 

Ryeowook nodded as she looked at the smiling Canadian school directress.

 

 

“it’s not easy to adjust in a foreign land, so I would want to help you fit in with the rest. As you can see this is an international school, races are disregarded. We have students from all over the world, most of them are migrants just like you.”

 

A knock was heard and a young Chinese lad entered the room.

 

 

“Great timing, this is Mr. Lau, and he’ll be your partner for the rest of the school year. I think he’ll be able to help you adjust to your new environment.”

 

The two stepped out of the room and Ryeowook sighed: great, being stuck with a partner that would never understand her…

 

 

“I’m Henry, I’m Chinese Canadian. I know Mandarin and a little Hangul.. I’m not gonna bite”

 

Henry smiled which made his eyes disappear and extended a hand.  Ryeowook stared at him for a second before absently shaking his hand: this Henry guy is pretty cute!

 

 

“oh.. I’m Kim Ryeowook, well my English name is… “

 

Ryeowook searched for her passport and looked for her name.

 

 

“ahh.. It’s Natalie.”

 

“wow.. very nice name.. Natalie..”

 

“can you call me by my Korean nickname.. I’m more comfortable with it.”

 

 

“so.. what is your Korean nickname?”

 

“Wookie.. my unnis call me that since I bake cookies..”

 

 

“oh really.. well you should love cooking class which will be our first class today.. so you should hurry and change into these.”

 

Henry handed Ryeowook her uniform. A few minutes later, Ryeowook emerged from the washroom wearing the short pleated skirt, white blouse with vest, knee high socks and black leather shoes. Henry’s jaws dropped as Ryeowook approached her.

 

 

“Henry are you ok?”

 

“yeah.. just that.. you look really pretty..”

 

 

Ryeowook blushed hard.

 

“you’re the second guy to say that aside from my dad”

 

 

“really?!”

 

“uhmm, the first one was Yesung,  my crush back in Korea”

 

 

Ryeowook happily said as she skipped her way to class, Henry can’t explain it but he felt hurt but she said was, so chance?!?!

 

Now I’m reading into everything, but there’s no sign to hear the lightning baby

“I don’t get it.. cheerleaders are like…”

“es..”

“watch your mouth Henry Lau!”

“and you remembered my name..”

“you’re my partner..”

The two laughed as they approach their lockers. It’s been a week and Ryeowook had pretty much adapted to her new environment.

“seriously..  how can guys fall for those..”

Ryeowook paused as she hesitates for a minute.

“es”

Henry smiled as he searched for something in his bag.

“Well it’s the same for you girls, you fall for hunky jerks called jocks right?”

“we do not!”

Ryeowook protested as she place one of her hand on her hip and pouted. Henry laughed sarcastically as he placed a purple headband on Ryeowook.

“I know.. here, since I noticed your bangs keep on irritating you.. you like purple right?”

Ryeowook smiled cutely and hugged the partner.

“thank you.. ahh this is so cute “

“no problem..”

“how’d you know I love purple?”

Henry panicked since well.. how can he say that he stalked Ryeowook on facebook to know all about her.

“uhmm.. I noticed most of your stuff is purple..”

Henry lied.

“ah.. yeah.. I do..”

Henry sighed in relief.

 

 

You don’t even notice me, turning on my charm

What rhymes with cookies?

 

If it was something Ryeowook was comfortable with, it’s cooking class. She was always on top and a lot of the other girls envy her. Since all the guys were gathered around her to taste whatever she cooks: from pastries to entrees, soups to stir fry.

 

 

Ryeowook would dazzle every eye even as simple as  whisking some eggs. Or that time the guys fainted when Ryeowook smiled as she tasted her chicken noodle soup.  Guys and even girls would do anything to taste her cooking but none of them is lucky enough like Henry.

 

“Henry.. do you think this custard is too sweet?”

Ryeowook would ask him quite often, for opinions, sometimes random things and Henry would always have the first taste of whatever Ryeowook prepares.

“nope.. it’s perfect.. just like you..”

It’s a little cheesy, I know but Ryeowook takes it as a compliment just like what every other guy in class says.. Henry is just another guy right?

Or wonder why I’m always where you are


Every day is a same routine: they go to class, attend meetings then go home.

However it became a big question for their friends when they noticed that the two are inseparable: ok, going on the same class is fine; they’re classmates, but even the extracurricular?

Going on the same club is too much. Well it’s not their fault that they were both musically inclined: Ryeowook on piano and Henry on violin.
And so come talents night, it’s no wonder they were paired for their performance; it was a match made in Beethoven’s symphony.

When you ask were Ryeowook is.. People will answer look for Henry; or the other way around.

And people can’t explain the fact that Henry goes to the library and since when?!?! Since he met Ryeowook.

Since when Ryeowook liked video games?! Since she met Henry.

It’s just that everywhere people look, when you see Henry.. you see Ryeowook.

I heard you talk about, how you wanted someone like me

 

A year had passed and Ryeowook surprisingly loved her new school; well it was because of someone.

 

One time, when Ryeowook and her friends had a little chit chat [one of the rarest times she was seen without Henry], Kevin overheard their conversation and told Henry.

 

“It’s true Henry.. she likes you..”

 

“no.. you’re mistaken..”

 

Kibum   interjected but Henry wanted to hear more..

 

“What exactly did she say anyway?”

 

Henry asked for the details

 

“c’mon Natalie… say it.. your perfect guy!”

 

Luna, a very sweet girl in Ryeowook’s class asked.

 

“hmm.. well a cute guy.. hmmm.. can play any musical instrument.. hmm.. a nice person.. doesn’t have to be super smart.. but not dumb!”

 

Ryeowook replied blushing as the girls giggled.

 

“ahhh! Definitely Henry-gege..”

 

Doghae replied as she squeals.

 

“nah ah..”

 

Ryeowook protested but thought for a while.. maybe she liked Henry more than she thought she did.. but Henry regard her as a friend only.

 

“so.. it was only Donghae who said that it was Henry..”

 

Eunhyuk said as he slightly give Kevin a smack on the forehead.

 

“ok.. technically yes.. but she described Henry perfectly!”

 

It got Henry thinking.. maybe there really is a chance.

But every time I ask you out, we never move past friends

 

There came a time in Henry’s life that he decided to make a move: finally.

 

And so one Friday afternoon, Henry asked Ryeowook:

 

“would you want to go see Percy Jackson tomorrow?”

 

“of course.. I’ve been wanting to ask you the same.. I mean.. I want to watch a movie with a really good friend!”

 

“Oh.. yeah..”

 

Henry suddenly frowned and his heart began to ache.. just friends.. maybe it was just friends.. she doesn’t want to be more than that.

 

Saturday came and Henry picked Ryeowook on time. He was wearing his polo, jacket  and jeans with Converse sneakers. Ryeowook wore a denim mini skirt, flats and a cute blouse.

 

“aren’t you going to get cold in that outfit.”

 

Henry asked but he obviously liked the idea of Ryeowook snuggling close to him when she gets cold.

 

“I’m ok..”

 

It was neither a horror movie nor your usual chick flick but they both enjoyed it. After the movies they decided to eat at McDonalds. Ryeowook ordered some burger and fries while Henry ordered the same.

 

“That Luke kid is so mean.. how can he do that to Percy..”

 

“well that’s why he’s a thief!”

 

“hmm.. you’re right.. you’re always right.. “

 

Apparently not with love.. Henry thought to himself.

 

Since they were still minors, Henry and Ryeowook took the bus home, just as Henry predicted, Ryeowook shivered in the cold night.

 

“I told you you’ll get cold.”

 

Henry removed his jacket and placed it on Ryeowook. Ryeowook smiled and blushed; after all this was what she really wanted. When they reached the Kim’s residence, Kangin, Ryeowook’s dad, was already reaching for the knob when Leeteuk stopped him.

 

“this is your daughter’s first date. Don’t ruin it!”

 

“ok..”

 

And so both stood by the door staring at each other just like in any cheesy movie scene where they awaited their first kiss.

 

“so I’ll see you on Monday..”

 

Henry said as he scratched the back of his head.

 

“yah Monday.”

 

Then Henry waved goodbye and walked away. Ryeowook stood there crest fallen and entered the house a little depressed; tears were forming in her eyes.

 

“what’s the matter dear?”

 

Leeteuk asked her daughter.

 

“I knew it.. that guy is up to no good..”

 

KAngin quickly reacted.

 

“he doesn’t like me to be his girlfriend.. I .. i.. I thought he’ll kiss me tonight after the date but.. ahhh…”

 

Ryeowook run to her room and locked the doors shut.

 

“honey.. I did nothing.. I promise.”

 

Kangin said in defense.

 

You don’t even notice how, I stare when we’re alone

Free period is the best time of the day for it is the time when students do nothing.

Ryeowook spends her free period either in the library or in the music room practicing or composing. Henry would spend his free period there too; just because he wanted to stare at the Ryeowook for the nth time.

He would just stare at her as she gracefully presses the keys on the piano. Occasionally, Henry would whip up his violin and strum a few notes; they never noticed this but when Henry played his own composition and when Ryeowook did the same, they blend in perfect harmony.. and they obviously know nothing.. only their siblings knew..

 

Or wonder why I keep you on the phone

 

“Henry.. I need the phone.. I need to ask Kuai xian something..”

Mimi would yell at her younger brother who was hogging the phone all night.

“use your cellphone!”

“you brat!”

“hey you two stop it..”

Hangeng was already tired about the yapping of his children. Heechul smiled and kissed the husband before turning to Mimi.

“use Skype dear..”

“thanks mom!”

Mimi ran to her room and locked the doors.

“I think my brother needs the phone.. they have this planning to do with ..”

Ryeowook said as she moved the phone from her left ear to her right.

“yah.. I know.. Achie’s been bugging me..”

“we can talk about this tomorrow anyway…”

“hmmm.. well they can use skype..”

“why don’t we use that one next time..”

Ryeowook pondered and Henry replied immediately.

“it’s ok.. why don’t we try..”

“on second thought..”

“what now..”

“I really like your voice..”

“so you don’t want to see me..”

“it’s not like that.. it’s just.. “

“just what?”

“nothing”

Ryeowook hung up, her heart beating fast.

 

You are my very first thought in the morning

“Will you wake up!”

Kyuhyun hates waking up his little sister because one:

“Henry.. ahh.. saranghae…”

Two:

“Oppa… what the hell are you doing with Xian Hwa!”

Ryeowook squealed when Kyuhyun grabbed her stuffy hamster she named after he ultimate crush.

Three:

“Henli ah! Good morning!”

Ryeowook greeted the picture on her bedside table.

Kyuhyun went down to eat his breakfast.

“I don’t get.. why talk to a picture frame.”

Kyuhyun muttered while eating his toast.

“it’s the same as Having that Mimi girl as your desktop wallpaper.”

Leeteuk said to her son as she handed him his milk.

“mom it’s worlds different.”

“my children have crushes already? We moved here to get away from the bunny princess and that creepy cross guy and now my children found a Chinese doll and a Canadian violinist..”

 

Kangin worriedly said as he sipped his coffee.

“so we moved miles away from Korea just to keep your children from having relationships!”

Leeteuk angrily said to her husband.

“a joke hunny.. joke”

 

And the last at night fall

 

“Henry.. still awake..”

His mom would poke into his bedroom to see him compose this little song he wanted to sing for his love.

“mom.. it’s almost finished..”

“ok.. here have some milk.. Leeteuk was on the phone a while ago.. she said about something..”

“important mom?”

“yah.. Ryeowook was all teary eyed again.”

“what?!?! WHY! Di dhis brother made fun of her again.. I don’t know what Achie found in that guy!”

“you’re too quick to judge Henry.. Ryeowook was crying because of the school dance.. she’s not attending apparently..”

“why?”

“no one asked her to the dance..”

“oh…”

“Henry.. how long will you wait for Ryeowook?”

“I don’t know mom..”

“better make up your mind..”

Henry nodded as Heechul left the room. He thought hard and long, he was restless and can’t find the perfect way to say it.

“aish.. why is this so damn hard!”

 

I made it obvious, I’ve done everything but sing it

I’ve crushed on you for so long, but on and on you get me wrong

 

From the day they first met until today when they were about to graduate, there have never been a single time that the two tried their best to show the other how they felt:

 

Isn’t it obvious when Ryeowook gave him chocolates on Valentine’s day; it was even shaped like a violin.

Isn’t it obvious when Henry gave her three roses on White day?

Isn’t it obvious when Ryeowook tried to dance genie despite the angry stares of the cheerleaders; just to impress Henry.

Isn’t it obvious when Henry swallowed his pride and took all the insults at being wookie’s hamster; well he is really wookie’s hamster.

Isn’t it obvious when Ryeowook acted really cutely, purposely letting her bangs cover her face such that Henry can brush them away.

Isn’t it obvious when Henry purposely left his lunch such that Ryeowook can feed him lunch?

Isn’t it obvious when Ryeowook wore super light such that she can snuggle close to Henry during a walk back home?

Isn’t it obvious when Henry purposely wear jackets such that he could let Ryeowook wear it and she’ll snuggle close to him since he’s the one getting cold instead.

 

What will they have to do?

 

I’m not so good with words, but since you never noticed the way that you belong

I’ll sing it in a love song

 

If it’s the only way then he’ll do it!

And yes it was their grad ball, the last and final time they’ll step into their high school building.. the last and final time they’ll be able to see each other, for Ryeowook will be going back to Korea to pursue her musical ambitions.

It’s their last chance.

Lights were dimmed and a familiar song played. Eyes searched the room for the source but stopped when a spotlight was , it was Ryeowook and she was standing in the middle of the dance floor; she was not singing but she stood there and all eyes were on hers.

Another spotlight and this time it was Henry, singing and walking towards Ryeowook; he was holding what looked like a bouquet of flowers with a fairly large stuffed hamster on the base.

There were gasps then awwwss.. but most of all there were jealous stares that shoot daggers.

Henry bowed and handed the bouquet, then kissed her hand.

“Kim Ryeowook Saranghae..”

Ryeowook stood there speechless and dumbfounded. She blinked her eyes too many times and asked herself it this was some sort of a dream; then let her not wake up from this dream.

“Natalie.. I love you..”

“wo ai ni!”

Henry shouted as loud as he could and before he knew it, He tasted Ryeowook, tongue and all.

“I’ve been waiting for you to say that since the first day we met!”

Ryeowook said as she smiled and embraced the surprised Canadian lad. She then dragged Henry in front of the stage and she sat in front of the piano.

“I composed this one for you.”

She smiled then started playing. Henry listened with a smile until it hit him hard. The melody was similar to what he composed. And so he grabbed his violin and started playing: the harmony of two completely unrelated songs being played in one glorious moment was like hearing the legendary Mozart perform in one of his concierto: what made these two related was the fact that they wrote it for the person they truly love..

It was pretty obvious..