Signs of Endearment

Adonis and Aphrodite

 

Chanyeol has never held in that much urine in his entire life. It was his fault, not bothering to go during break, and now he’s using the restroom in the most obscure side of the school building. It’s afterschool and there is no one in sight for yards. In fact, if anyone wanted to, they could knock him unconscious with a bat, take him to some forlorn warehouse, and hold him hostage for a ransom. But of course, Chanyeol has taken a $15 per session self-defense course before so he’s in the clear.

He exits the restroom and walks the halls with extreme caution. Suddenly, he hears the sound of footsteps in the distance and it frightens him. Before he can even turn around, a hand muffles his mouth and the other hand pulls him by the waist. Chanyeol’s first instinct is to bite the hand that covers his mouth. He bites the person’s finger without any hesitation and the person stumbles backwards. That $15 class was highly effective.

Chanyeol turns around quickly to face the menace who tried to grab him and he is surprised when he sees that the person is none other than Wu Fan. “Wu Fan! What the hell were you doing? I thought you were a kidnapper!”

“Who the hell would want to kidnap a person like you?” Wu Fan sneers as he puts the bitten finger in his mouth.

Chanyeol flares his nostrils and huffs. “What were you trying to do then?”

“…kidnap you.”

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. “This morning, I wake up and you were nowhere in sight. And now you try to kidnap me. I don’t understand you at all.”

“Sorry I left without telling you. I was out doing some research. I found out there is a supernatural phenomenon expert on the outskirts of town. Unfortunately, traveling there would take a day or two.”

“No we cannot go. Wu Fan. How could I explain this to Granny?”

“Don’t worry, I told her we have a school trip.”

“YOU LIED TO GRANNY?”

“HOW ELSE CAN WE GO THEN?” Wu Fan flicks Chanyeol’s forehead. “DON’T YOU WANT YOUR BODY BACK?”

Chanyeol rubs his throbbing forehead with a pout. “Alright. But stop flicking my forehead. It hurts, you sadist.”

“Never, it’s too fun,” Wu Fan chuckles as he pokes Chanyeol by the waist teasingly.

Wu Fan and Chanyeol make their way to the school parking lot, where Wu Fan has his car parked and already loaded with both of their duffel bags and travel expenses. “You can drive?”

“Of course I can drive. How else can we get there?”

Chanyeol takes a seat upfront and Wu Fan starts driving immediately. The car ride was quiet and a little awkward, but Chanyeol doesn’t mind the silence. He likes the way Wu Fan focuses when he drives. He likes the way Wu Fan makes a U-turn with his right hand. He continues to admire the way Wu Fan drives, the way masculinity is emitted from his very being. As the car ride proceeds, Chanyeol’s head starts to bob due to exhaustion. He slaps his cheeks in efforts to stay awake, but he is far too tired. He wants to stay awake and continue watching Wu Fan drive. After all, Chanyeol understands that their time together is limited. He wants to relish every moment they have together. “If you’re tired, just fall asleep.”

Chanyeol rubs at his eyes and yawns. “I want to watch you drive.”

“Is that why you keep staring at me?”

Chanyeol turns away to hide his blushing face. “You look cool when you drive.”

Wu Fan chuckles. “When don’t I look cool?” He turns to Chanyeol briefly to ruffle his hair. “Now sleep. I’ll wake you up when we arrive.”

Chanyeol nods in agreement and reclines his chair. He turns his body in attempts to get comfortable, but his true intention is to sleep facing Wu Fan. In this way, Wu Fan would be the first thing he sees when he opens his eyes.

It’s another hour before they arrive at their destination. Wu Fan wakes Chanyeol up by violently shaking his shoulder. Chanyeol slowly peels his eyes open. “We’re here, Chanyeol.”

“We’re where?” Chanyeol yawns.

“Hotel.”

Chanyeol wakes up immediately. “H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-H-OTEL? WHY ARE WE AT A HOTEL?”  He covers his chest with his arms and Wu Fan backs away in disgust.

“What are you thinking, ert? It’s already late and we’re nowhere near our real destination. Where else are we going to sleep?”

Chanyeol sighs out of relief. “Oh, that makes sense.”

Wu Fan rubs his temples and sighs. “Just so you know. I might kill you in your sleep tonight.”

Chanyeol forces a laugh. “Please…don’t.”

The hotel was pretty upscale. As expected, since Wu Fan and Chanyeol are fairly wealthy. They enter the lobby where there is quite a few people waiting with their luggage. Chanyeol gets lost in the crowd of people and he feels Wu fan’s grasp of his wrist. “Stay close to me,” he commands, reeling in Chanyeol’s arm until they are side by side. Chanyeol nods in comprehension.

They wait in line at the front desk. There, Wu Fan scans the lobby. To the right of him, there is a group of older girls that had their full attention on Wu Fan and Chanyeol. With their shifting eyes and wide smiles, it was obvious that they were interested in the two of them. Wu Fan has always been a lady killer. It was habitual for him to flash girls a seductive smirk before turning away in an arrogant manner. This time, a girl in the short skirt has her full attention on Chanyeol. Sure, he should feel flattered, since Chanyeol is currently in his body, but Wu Fan just feel irritated for some particular reason.

He possessively wraps Chanyeol’s waist with his arm and pulls him closer. . “W-what are you doing?” a startled Chanyeol asks.

“Ignore me,” Wu Fan states. He looks over to the group of girls to check their reactions. They try not to make eye contact, but it was obvious that they were shocked in his brashness. He laughs in response. “Just messing with some people.”

Chanyeol flushes from the neck up. “And you call me a ert…”

Even when the receptionist hands them the keycard to their room, Wu Fan still has his arm around Chanyeol’s waist. “The receptionist was looking at us funny,” Chanyeol whispers as they enter the elevator.

“Well, yeah. He probably thought we were elopers or something.”

Chanyeol giggles and Wu Fan tells him to stop giggling with his face. “People keep mistaking us for a couple” he continues to giggle anyways.

 “Yeah, because they’re stupid. I can do so much better than you,” Wu Fan laughs as he places his arm around Chanyeol’s shoulder.

Chanyeol scrunches his nose. “Says the person putting the moves on me.”

Wu Fan’s eyes bulge. “AM NOT.”

“WHAT’S THIS THEN?” Chanyeol tugs at Wu fan’s hand over his shoulder.

Wu Fan quickly retreats his arm and tries to hide his embarrassment by making up an excuse. “I’m showing you signs of endearment because no one in the right mind would do that for you.”

“HEY! I have a girlfriend, you know.”

“No no no, you had a girlfriend.”

Chanyeol widens his eyes out of astonishment. “What did you say?”

Wu Fan opens their room door with the keycard. The room was a reflection of the posh lobby with its tasteful interior design. Wu Fan plops onto the cream-colored couch and Chanyeol stands in front of him with the same dubious expression. “Did Sae Rin break up with me?” he continues to question.

Wu Fan scratches the nape of his neck and sighs. “No…I broke up with her.”

Chanyeol takes a step closer. “…why?”

Wu Fan averts his eyes, unable to look at Chanyeol’s hurt expression. “Don’t tell me you actually liked her.”

“That is beside the point. The point is, you shouldn’t have done something so hasty. And you never even told me about it!”

Wu Fan gets off the couch and grabs hold of Chanyeol’s shoulders. The solemn look in his eyes frightens Chanyeol. “I…know why you were with her.”

Chanyeol’s eyes widen and he parts his lips. “W-what are you talking about?” he stutters.

“Sae Rin was only using you to make me jealous right? Chanyeol, why would you do that to yourself? Don’t you have any self-respect?”

Chanyeol bites onto his bottom lip. “That is none of your concern, Wu Fan.”

“It is of my concern!”

Chanyeol releases himself from Wu Fan’s grip and takes a step back. “Isn’t that just a little too much, Wu Fan? You have no right to criticize anything I do. What I do should not matter to someone that doesn’t even like me.”

Chanyeol is angry. Wu fan has never seen Chanyeol angry in his entire life. Wu Fan has always hated Chanyeol’s care-free smiles, but at this moment, he realizes he hates his scowls so much more. His eyes are tearing, his lips are quivering, and he’s shaking from his inner core. It leaves Wu Fan speechless and all he could do is watch Chanyeol’s eyes glaze over with unexplained sadness.

“You hate me, don’t you?” Chanyeol asks rhetorically because he has always known of Wu Fan’s distaste towards him. And even if Wu Fan is finally starting to show signs of endearment, Chanyeol can never be sure if he really is sincere or not. It is these sorts of uncertainties that keep Chanyeol at ends with himself each and every time.

Chanyeol throws his duffel bag on the floor before he runs out the door and shuts it behind him. Wu Fan sits back on the sofa and tries to contain himself. “He’s right. Why should I care about what he does? I hate Park Chanyeol,” Wu Fan convinces himself.

But it’s not even a second of delay before Wu Fan runs out the door to go after the person he has believed to hate more than anything in the entire world.


Hello everyoneee I've missed you <3 I'm really really sorry that I haven't updated, even though i promised to update as soon as I got back from my trip to Vegas. Let me explain! Sooo my friends wanted to stay an extra day and then when I arrived home yesterday, I found out I got food poisoning and now I also have a fever. So it made it reallly hard for me to update when I'm not feeling too well.  But now that i am back, I will still update regularly, no worries! And thank you to new subscribers and the nice comments ASDFGHJKLASDFGHJKL YOU ALL ARE SO NICE :3