Not A Couple

Adonis and Aphrodite

Wu Fan waits in front of the school entrance for Chanyeol. It’s already thirty minutes after dismissal and he checks his imaginary watch every so often. He finally spots him in the distance, running full throttle towards him. “Chanyeol! Where have you been? “he demands impatiently.

“Luhan made me run down to the local convenient store to buy him a bag of pork rinds.”

“Yeah, his appetite is no joke. And he’s very convincing… but it doesn’t mean you actually do it!”

Wu Fan’s an impulse away from flicking Chanyeol’s forehead again. But Chanyeol has his hands on his knees and he’s panting heavily from exhaustion.

Wu Fan feels pity for him and resists his urge. “You’re such….a pushover,” he mumbles discreetly to himself. Maybe he’s becoming too soft.

They start walking away from school in silence, contemplating on how to fix this whole body-switching-ordeal they got themselves into. “Maybe we can see a tarot card reader. I’m sure they have one down town where the shopping district is.”

“Wu Fan, no way! First you have to go home and explain why you ran off on my grandma! She’s probably very worried about me and…and!”

“PARK CHANYEOL,” Wu Fan barks.

He leans in close with intentionally hateful eyes. “You promised me we would sort this whole thing out afterschool. Are you going to break your promise to me?” Wu Fan jabs his pointer finger at Chanyeol’s chest. “Or are you going to be a man about it?”

Chanyeol bites down on his lower lip hard. “…man.”

Wu Fan withdraws his finger and smirks with confidence. “That’s more like it.”

They make their way through the bustling streets of downtown shopping district. There is a variety of vendors and stores selling knickknacks, assorted goods, and almost anything else imaginable. Lines and lines of restaurants fill up the crisp autumn air with rich and unique scents.  Chanyeol, who did not eat all day long, eyes each food vendor with intense craving.

A quaint crepe stand is what catches his attention. He was drawn to the way the pancakes were flattened and filled with various custards and fillings. The crepe woman made each pastry with such skill and precision. Chanyeol gets a whiff of the alluring aromas and it makes his mouth water.

Wu Fan is still walking randomly, in search for that tarot shop. “I recall it being here somewhere. Do you have any idea where?” he asks, looking to the back of him to realize Chanyeol was nowhere to be found.

Wu Fan finds him busily making conversation with the crepe vendor. Wu Fan grabs Chanyeol’s arm forcefully. “What are you doing? We have a mission, do you not remember?”

Chanyeol’s eyes shift. First at the crepes, second at Wu Fan, and then back at the crepes. “But…I’m hungry.”

Wu Fan rolls his eyes. “Buy one then.”

Chanyeol pouts. “…but I don’t have any money on me.”

Wu Fan remembers that they never stopped by Chanyeol’s house to get his belongings. He sees Chanyeol visibly gulp and his dry lips. His stomach is grumbling so violently, the sound is amplified in Wu Fan’s ears.

He takes pity on Chanyeol and mumbles under his breath. “It’s on me.”

Wu Fan starts to rummage through his pant pocket for his wallet and continues. “This time.”

With his kind gesture, Chanyeol’s entire face lights up. He smiles brightly, very reminiscent of his usual smile that Wu Fan was always quite familiar with.  

“Thank you,” escapes from Chanyeol’s mouth and it sounds sweet, even with Wu Fan’s rasp of a voice.

Wu Fan mock coughs as he hands the money to the vendor. “Don’t mention it.”

Chanyeol asks the woman to make him a strawberry banana crepe. She drizzles the insides with hot and creamy Nutella spread and tops it off with fluffy whipped cream.

Chanyeol takes it with glee. “Thank you, miss!”

She smiles, watching Chanyeol offer some to Wu Fan and Wu Fan agrees to steal a piece of banana. She starts to chuckle. “You two are a cute couple.”

Wu Fan’s eyes bulge and he almost chokes on his banana. “E-excuse me?”

“A lot of couples come around these parts, but I haven’t seen a pair quite as cute as the two of you in a long time. And you both are very handsome. Like…like…”

“ADONIS AND APHRODITE!” Chanyeol hollers cheerfully, and Wu Fan uses his palm to shut his mouth.

The woman laughs. “Yes, that’s it.”

Wu Fan averts his eyes and laughs forcefully. “Thank you, but we’re not a couple.”

She raises an eyebrow in genuine confusion. “You’re not?”

“No, no. Definitely not. That would never happen. Tell her, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol stares dubiously into Wu Fan’s direction with an open mouth, lips covered with whipped cream. Wu Fan knows it is his own face, but he can’t help see Chanyeol in it. And he looks extremely disheartened. Wu Fan doesn’t understand why his expression tugs at his heartstrings.

Chanyeol smiles at the woman as he scratches the back of his neck. “Yes. We’re not a couple.”

“Oh…that really is quite a shame.”

 

They finally find the tarot shop at the end of the block. There is no sign to bring attention to it except the flickering neon lights by the window. It is dark and obscure in presence and Chanyeol clings to Wu Fan’s back, slouching in attempt to hide his face. “Are you scared?” Wu Fan snorts.

“NO. This place just gives me the creeps, alright?” he refutes.

Wu Fan suppresses his laughter by biting his lips. Wu Fan doesn’t want to call him cute but he uses it in lack of a better word. They enter the tarot shop, Chanyeol clinging close with Wu Fan as he analyzes the suspicious room. The room was lined with various shelves and book cases, all decorated with cob webs and dust. A table resides in the middle with a dim light hovering over a crystal ball. Wu Fan laughs to himself at the tastelessness of it all. Everything in the tarot shop looked as if it was bought from some tacky Halloween shop. There are two chairs in front of the table and Wu Fan is first to sit. Chanyeol grabs onto the back of his blazer harder. “Wu Fan! This place…something is not right.”

Wu Fan forces Chanyeol to sit by pushing his shoulders. “Do you want your body back or not?”

Chanyeol flutters his eyelashes. “…yes.”

Wu Fan smirks. “That’s more like it.”

A woman finally steps out behind a velvet curtain. She is relatively young, but her heavy makeup aged her. She is adorned with beads and bohemian scarves, looking quite like a stereotypical fortune teller and Wu Fan tries to suppress his laughter once more. Chanyeol was the opposite, quite fearful in the eyes as she approaches the table. She must have sensed this, for she smiled in his direction before taking a seat before them. “So what can I do for you two fine gentlemen today?”

Wu Fan and Chanyeol exchange looks before Wu Fan speaks. “Do you know anything…about exchanging bodies?”

The woman before them leans in closer. “What is it that you two want to know?”

 Wu Fan sighs. “I know this sounds crazy, but when we woke up this morning, we were not ourselves. At this moment, I am in his body and he is in mine.”

“And we are desperate so please help our regain our bodies, miss!” Chanyeol adds.

The woman takes out a thick book from underneath the table. She hurriedly skims it before looking Wu Fan in the eyes and exhales. “Young man, a remedy for your ails may lie in… a kiss.”

“W-W-WAIT. You’re saying… we should k-k-kiss?!” Chanyeol stutters, shifting in his seat.

The woman sighs. “Although I do not promise accuracy, it is written here in the text.”

“B-b-but, Wu Fan and I…me and Wu Fan! “

Wu Fan sighs. “If it is the only way…”

Chanyeol is speaking gibberish before crying out “BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT!” consistently.

In an instant, Wu Fan pulls Chanyeol’s entire body towards his own. With eyes closed tight and hand stiff behind his back, Wu Fan meshes their lips together.

Wu Fan is kissing him.

Chanyeol flutters his eyes in response, too shocked to even move a finger.  Wu Fan slowly opens an eye to peer at Chanyeol. He still sees his face and he ponders why the kiss was not effective. He breaks away for a second to demand, “Chanyeol, more tongue.”

“WHAT?” Chanyeol gasps.

Wu Fan shoves his tongue far into Chanyeol’s mouth. He moves his tongue to match Chanyeol’s aggressively, leaving no area untouched by his salivating tongue. It is violent, the way he kisses him. Chanyeol could not even catch his breath as he feels Wu Fan’s hand linger behind his back. 

Wu Fan breaks away after biting Chanyeol’s lower lip and grimaces.  “Madame, it did not work!” he yells out of frustration.

He covers his face with his palms.  Wu Fan has his head buried in his hands as Chanyeol’s eyes are completely fixated on the other's. Chanyeol’s expression fascinates the tarot reader. He looked genuinely concerned for Wu Fan, the way he carefully pats his shoulder. But with his downcast eyes and cheeks flushing pink, it brings a smile on her face.

And then she starts laughing.

Hysterically.

Wu Fan slowly uncovers his face and eyes the woman angrily. “…what’s so funny?”

She ceases her laughter and wipes away a tear. “You are, young man. I cannot believe you actually kissed him!”

Chanyeol gulps. “Are you saying that you were only toying with us?”

“I’m sorry, I truly am, but I did not think you two would believe me. I am a tarot card reader, yes, but I do not have such magical capabilities. There is no way a person like me can help you.”

Wu Fan and Chanyeol exchange a look. Wu Fan doesn’t know whether to laugh or go on a violent killing spree.

“But I can tell you both your fortunes if you like. What would you like to know? Would you like to know how compatible you two are? Because let me just say, a lot of couples come to me for relationship advice. But I have never seen a pair quite as cute as the two of you in a long time.”

Wu Fan starts to weep.

Chanyeol just smiles awkwardly at the tarot reader. 

“Sorry, but we are not a couple…”


"WE ARE NOT A COUPLE". I don't like making Chanyeol say that. You are a couple, I BELIEVE IN YOU! ASDFGHJKL Wow wow wow thank you to new subscribers as well <3!  If you enjoy reading my crack fiction, that makes me very happy! I took a while to update because this one was hard to write for some reason. Maybe I'm having writer's block? ; 3; IDRRNO but I promise to update more often since finals is overrrr~ Bye everyone! <3