Know Your Enemy

Adonis and Aphrodite

 

They only have approximately one hour until school starts so Wu Fan takes advantage of the down stairs’ bathroom. He strips off his shirt and it is when he takes a thorough look at himself in the mirror that he realizes he’d have to see Chanyeol’s body .

Wu Fan expected Chanyeol to be pure skin and bones, but he’s pleasantly surprised when he sees some definition. Wu Fan eyes the indentations of his body, admiring with envy for one second and feeling repulsed by himself for another. “I can’t believe I was actually admiring Park Chanyeol’s body,” he spats before climbing into the shower and washing himself with eyes closed shut.

Wu Fan keeps his toothbrush in his usual restroom so he barges into the unlocked door without even a warning. Chanyeol is standing there in only Calvin Klein boxer briefs and jolts in surprise when he sees Wu Fan enter. He covers his chest with his hands instinctually and yelps, “HEY COULDN’T YOU HAVE KNOCKED?”

Wu Fan rolls his eyes and snatches his toothbrush off the sink counter angrily. “Why are you covering yourself like that? You’re in my body and I am already quite familiar with how my body looks like.”

He squeezes a surplus amount of cinnamon toothpaste onto his toothbrush before continuing to nag, “And even if it was your body, I wouldn’t have cared less anyways!”

He starts brushing his teeth, completely consumed with how much space Chanyeol has in his mouth compared to his own. Chanyeol just stands there timidly and chews away at his lower lip. “So…you didn’t look…did you?”

Wu Fan glares at him with foamy toothpaste all over his mouth. “No, I had my eyes closed the whole time...”

He rinses his mouth and looks back at Chanyeol. “DID YOU?”

Chanyeol’s cheeks flush a vivid shade of pink. “N-no, of course not!” he denies and his shifty eyes and jittery feet is not very convincing.

Wu Fan rubs his temples again and sighs. “Okay, we need to lay some ground rules...”

With only thirty minutes to spare, the two of them put on their uniforms hastily. Wu Fan’s uniform is too big for Chanyeol’s body but he rolls up the navy blue sleeves and deals. Chanyeol admires himself in the mirror, spinning and admiring how snug the uniform fits on his newfound body. Chanyeol never got his uniform to fit so well, even with alterations. “Did you get this tailored?” Chanyeol asks still spinning in front of his reflection.

“No, the uniform was just made for me,” Wu Fan laughs haughtily. “But the cufflinks never fit right…”

He walks over to Chanyeol and tugs at the cufflinks until they loosen. Wu Fan’s face looks serene as he helps fix Chanyeol’s sleeves. Chanyeol couldn’t help but stare. He doesn’t know if Wu Fan’s actually smiling or it’s his own face doing all the work. Wu Fan looks up at Chanyeol with his default angry expression. “Stop staring,” he demands and he flicks Chanyeol’s forehead with his thumb and forefinger. “OUCH.”

 

Since the academy is of walking distance, they walk awkwardly through the neighborhood with Wu Fan leading and Chanyeol following not too far behind. Chanyeol has a skip to his step and Wu Fan flicks his forehead once again. “OUCH. Stop doing that to your own forehead!” Chanyeol jeers.

“I will when you start acting like me. I do not skip.”

Chanyeol twitches his lip. He starts walking ahead of Wu Fan, hands on his hips and walking quite flamboyantly. “LOOK AT ME. I’M WU FAN. I’M NOT A MODEL, BUT I WALK LIKE THIS BECAUSE I’M STUPID!”  Chanyeol laughs sarcastically.

“Hey, hey, hey! Wu Fan is not stupid!”

“LOOK AT ME. I’M WU FAN. AND I TALK IN THIRD PERSON…BECAUSE I’M STUPID.”

Wu Fan forces Chanyeol into a headlock and noogies his head with great force. Chanyeol’s surprised that Wu Fan was so childish, even matching his own level of immaturity. He would be lying if he said he didn’t find it somewhat charming.

“Say I’m stupid one more time!” Wu Fan chuckles.

“Stop it, I give!”

“SAY I’M STUPID.”

“YOU’RE GOING TO MESS UP YOUR OWN HAIR, YOU KNOW!”

Wu Fan halts at once. “Oh crap, you’re right…”

Wu Fan’s fingers comb through Chanyeol’s hair, cautiously fixing his hair into place. Chanyeol was one second away from batting away his hand when he remembers that they are in public. But the way the fingers feel through his hair feels far too nice. His heart beats a little faster with each touch. “There, perfect,” Wu Fan smiles proudly and they continue their walk, this time, side by side.

“I’ll give you a copy of my course schedule. But remember, I have physical education after lunch so restrain from eating too much,” Wu Fan instructs.

“I know. I’m in your class.”

“Oh… my bad.”

 

Getting closer to Labyrinth Academy, Wu Fan quickly explains everything to Chanyeol. “Just don’t talk too much to people and they won’t notice a thing. If a pretty girl confesses to you, let her down gently.”

Wow, what a stud,” Chanyeol snickers.

Watch it Chanyeol.

Already by the front entrance, they both notice whispers and side glances by the other classmates. It’s obviously a sight to behold when the famous Wu Fan and Park Chanyeol, enemies till their deathbed, are having an actual conversation. They look at each other nervously and Wu Fan urges Chanyeol to say any final thoughts. “And to act like me, just talk a lot. Like, a lot a lot!”

Wu Fan mumbles an “I’ll try” before they walk off in separate directions without looking back.  

 

First class was extremely nerve-wrecking for the both of them. A simple “Pass me that paper” or “Please read the next paragraph” puts both of the two boys on edge. But they both put mass efforts. Wu Fan forces himself to smile at the obnoxiously loud peers around him and Chanyeol refrains from laughing because pink ceilings are obviously really funny.

The first classes were relatively easy compared to lunch, when actual socializing was necessary. Wu Fan and Chanyeol walk into the canteen, eyes wandering in search for each other. It wasn’t difficult to find their doppelganger. Chanyeol follows Wu Fan into an empty hallway and Wu Fan starts whispering. “Do I always look this handsome in the eyes of other people?”

Chanyeol tries to take a jab at his head, but Wu Fan grabs his wrist just in time and laughs. “I’m just kidding. But seriously, who do you usually hang out with during lunch?”

Chanyeol slowly recoils his arm and lowers his head. “Well, lately it’s Sae Rin…”

Wu Fan mouth tightens. He completely forgot that Chanyeol is currently dating her. Chanyeol coughs to break the silence and continues, “W-what about you?”

Wu Fan avoids Chanyeol’s eyes and asks bitterly, “You know Luhan?”

“Yes.”

“Find him and you’re good.”

Wu Fan continues to avoid Chanyeol’s eyes and Chanyeol wears a look of forlorn shame. He opens his mouth, about to speak, when a familiar voice calls his name. “Chanyeol!”

They both turn at the same time and there, walking towards them, is Sae Rin. Her hair is crimson red from numerous visits to the hair salon and her eyeliner is lined thick, emphasizing her crescent moon eyes. She smiles as she approaches them. “Chanyeol, I was looking for you.”

She sneaks a quick glance at Chanyeol, obviously thinking he's Wu Fan, and nods politely. “Hello, Wu Fan.”

Chanyeol feels a sweat trickle down his forehead and Wu Fan jabs at his side with his elbow. “Uhm…hello…Sae Rin!”

She smiles politely before linking arms with Wu Fan and giggles, “Let’s go, Chanyeol!” and pulls him into a separate direction. Wu Fan makes a sour expression, close to jerking his arm away from her, but Chanyeol gestures him to desist. Wu Fan suppresses his aggravation and forces a crooked smile. “Yes…girlfriend…”

Chanyeol lets out an exhale and drags his lanky body all the way back to the Canteen. Finding Luhan was extremely easy. Luhan is quite an icon at their school as well for his youthful appearance and bubbly personality. Luhan sees Chanyeol walk towards him and Luhan wears a genuine smile. “Wu Fan, over here!”

Seeing his smile steadies his nerves and Chanyeol sits down, still trying to maintain a stoic expression. Luhan finishes his chicken flavored instant ramen and forces it into Yixing’s hands before putting his full attention towards Chanyeol. “You were probably wondering where I went this morning. Your couch is actually really uncomfortable so I just got my mom to pick me up,” Luhan beams.

Chanyeol just bites his lips nervously. “Yes…my…” he tries to remember the color of Wu Fan’s couch, “white couch. Very uncomfortable.”

Luhan looks perplexed for an instance and shakes it away with a wide smile. “So give me your bed next time,” he laughs before snatching away Yixing’s bottled water and chugging all of it down. Chanyeol gulps. Luhan might be even scarier than Wu Fan.

 

Meanwhile, Wu Fan is sitting under a tree with Sae Rin. The breeze is cold enough that Wu Fan wants to abandon her and have himself an assorted platter in the Canteen. She's extremely touchy, ridiculously perky, and completely not his type of girl at all. So Wu Fan doesn't even remember why he wanted her in the first place. Sae Rin suddenly grabs at Wu Fan’s hands with a genuinely concerned expression. “Chanyeol, since when did you make friends with Wu Fan?”

“I am not friends with that reincarnation of the devil,” Wu Fan rolls his eyes, breaking character as he slowly slides his hands out of her grasp. She raises an eyebrow and it reminds him that he must keep in character. He clears his throat and chuckles, “I’m just kidding, Sae Rin. Ah ha ha…you know I’d never befriend Wu Fan.”

She purses her lips and sighs. “Chanyeol, did you forget our deal?”

Wu Fan’s voice cracks. “Pardon,but,…deal?”

She rolls her eyes and continues. “You are so forgetful! What ever happened to making Wu Fan jealous?”

Wu Fan forces out a laugh. “Making Wu Fan ...jealous?”

 “Look, Chanyeol”, she explains, “You know that Wu Fan hates you. And since he hates you, your misery is his happiness. What would make Wu Fan happier than stealing away his arch nemesis’s girlfriend?”

Sae Rin smiles her usual smile, expecting a nod in understanding, but instead, Wu Fan's expression is blank. Sae Rin calls out, “Chanyeol, Chanyeol!” but he continues to stare off into the distance. At first, he doesn't think anything of it. Then, he's mildly shocked. Finally, Wu Fan just clenches his fists out of anger. There is no clear reason, but his initial instinct is to throw away all regard in faking nice. Wu Fan deliberately directs his intense glare in her direction before he pulls himself off the grass. He brushes the loose grass pieces off of his uniform pants and proceeds in walking away.  

Sae Rin runs after him desperately. “Chanyeol, wait!” she calls out as she grips onto his arm. “Why are you acting like this? You promised you’d help me out!”

Wu Fan stares down at her confused face and furrows his eyebrows. He slowly pulls his arm out of her tight grip before he smiles. It is the first time his smile resembles Park Chanyeol to a tee.

“I don’t deserve to be used this way, Sae Rin,” Wu Fan rebukes, cold in his words. "And Wu Fan doesn't hate me and i don't hate him either. So please, leave the both of us alone." 

 


I'm supposed to be studying for my finals so why am I updating? BWAHAHA DISTRACTION. OMG Thank you to my new subscribers <3 ! Some of you are subscribed to my previous story as well. This makes me so happy!  ; 3; How is this story treating you? & Are you all having a good day? I hope you all are enjoying your day! I'm going to be studying busilly ASDFGHJKHGFDS BYE BYE UNTIL CHAPTER THREEEEEE!