004

Misunderstandings

- Two Years Ago, Orientation Day -

"C'mon, c'mon!" Minzy sprang out of the car and hopped onto the driveway.

"Oh wow," I drawled sarcastically.

"What?" She stopped and twirled around.

I rolled my eyes and softly chuckled. "Who was it that was begging me to not force you to go?"

She grinned. "Well, someone has to be happy!"

My face fell and I nodded solemnly. "I'm sorry."

Minzy sighed and pet my shoulder. "It's not your fault, you know. Your father is just... Well, don't worry about him."

"Yeah." I managed a half-smile and stretched my arms. "I'm tired."

CL stepped out. "You should be. We had to wake up at 4am this morning. Even Dara-unnie is still asleep."

"Mm, I can't believe EXO would try to take over our territory again. They should know that 2NE1 are the Queens of Seoul," I said.

"Shush. You shouldn't talk about stuff like that out loud!" Both CL and Minzy scolded me.

I looked around the empty parking lot and raised a brow. "There's no one out here." And perhaps I spoke too soon.

"Oh, you guys must be the new students!" A red haired boy came charging at us. "Ugh. Where is Changhyun?" He muttered under his breath. "Even the new students arrived earlier than him and they came halfway through the day!"

I chuckled and extended my hand. "I'm Minyoung. Ja-Song Minyoung." I corrected myself.

"My name is Han Minji." Minzy smiled warmly at him and did a small bow that could have easily been mistaken as a nod.

"Choi Jonghyun," he said bowing as well.

I dejectedly put away my hand and bowed too. CL noticed and giggled.

"Huh?" Jonghyun finally took notice of my unnie. "I was told that there were only to be two new students arriving today."

CL's laughter tinkled pleasantly. "Such a charmer. I'm not a new student; I'm the guardian of these ones."

"Oh." Jonghyun genuinely blushed.

Laughing once more, CL said, "I can see my girls are in safe hands. I'll be taking my leave."

"Bye Chae-unnie!" Minzy and I smiled and waved furiously at the backing-out car.

"Seriously, this guy is beyond late," Jonghyun stated, staring at his watch.

"Who?" Minzy voiced out my thoughts.

"Yoo Changhyun. He's your other guide," he explained.

A blue ball came rushing into Jonghyun, nearly bumping the tall boy into us. "Changjo!"

"Speak of the devil." Jonghyun raised a brow and steadied himself. "And where were you exactly?"

"I wa-"

Jonghyun interrupted. "No don't tell me. You got stuck in the toilet after hiding in there because you hate maths?"

Changhyun opened his mouth to speak, but closed it abruptly. "Yes," he admitted defeatedly.

I giggled and so did Minzy.

"Cute couple," I stated randomly.

"I'm Changhyun or Ricky as most people call me." Ricky introduced himself, bowing down.

I bowed too. "Song Minyoung, but you can call me M.Yo."

Minzy harshly nugded me, eyes widened, and urgently mouthed: 'Why'd you do that for?'

I gave her a questioning look and she sighed. 'Idiot,' she mouthed.

"Oh!" I slapped my hand over my forehead. 'I used my gangster alias...'

We turned back to the two boys who was staring strangely at us.

I smiled sheepishly and let out a half-laugh. "Let's get going?"

They nodded and I smiled. "Why don't you just call me Minyoung, yes?"

Ricky and Jonghyun nodded again unsurely. We began to walk around the school as they introduced us to the classrooms.

"And that's your class." Jonghyun pointed at a class which had the sign '2-B' on it. "And Minji, that's yours," he added as we walked past another room.

"You're in 2-C?" I asked.

"I guess," she replied.

"Aww," I whined. "I wanted to be in the same class as you!"

"It's ranked," Ricky explained. "They made you take a test remember?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "No..."

Minzy smacked me on the back of my head. "How you made it to a class higher than me, I'll never know."

I chuckled. "So, Ricky and Jonghyun what class are you guys in?"

"Ah, we're in 1-A," Ricky answered.

"1-A? You guys are a year younger?!" I exclaimed.

Jonghyun nodded. "Yeah. But our hyungs are in your class. Well, L.Joe is in 2-B and Niel is in 2-A and the rest are seniors."

"Oh..." I nodded. "Cool! L.Joe, huh? I hope he and I can be friends."

Ricky smiled. "L.Joe-hyung is kind of scary though."

"Cafeteria and toilet," Jonghyun sang out as we passed the said buildings, knowing that none of us were listening to him anyway.

I laughed. "That's cool. Anybody with a name like L.Joe should be cool."

"Why's that?" a curious Minzy asked.

"'Cause L.Joe, M.Yo. They rhyme."

Minzy scoffed and shook her head.

"And here we are at the uniform shop." Jonghyun interrupted us, pointing at the door. "Your guardian told us that you didn't have them yet, right?"

Minzy nodded. "Yep."

We walked in and I marveled at the cleanliness of the shop. There were brown blazers of various sizes hanging on the white shelf to the right. Below it, clean and folded blazers packaged in plastic. At the back there were four changing rooms; two for the girls, two for the boys. Everything else was folded and packaged too, sitting in cupboards.

There was a cashier sitting behind a table at the front of the room. She smiled at us when we walked in. I smiled back.

I walked around the 'trial' uniform. I cringed. The uniform wasn't exactly pretty. It consisted of a long khaki-orange dress with white vertical stripes for summer and for winter a white blouse, a khaki and orange striped tie and a long orange and brown plaid skirt. There was an option between the brown blazer or jumper.

I sighed and pulled out a dress which seemed like it would fit me.

I turned around finding Minzy doing the same thing and asked, "Are there any other uniform we currently need apart from the dress?"

"Just sport," she answered.

I nodded and began to look for it. The sport uniform. Keeping up with the white-orange-khaki-brown theme, the sport uniform was a simple combination of brown shorts and a white polo shirt with a orange and brown stripe through the middle. The school emblem and name was sewn onto the right side, above the area where your heart would be and there was a pocket on the left.

I pulled out a pair and plopped the dress onto the chair. I walked towards the change rooms to try on the sport uniform.

I walked out after some minutes. "It fits perfectly."

Minzy looked my way and smiled. "I suppose. What size did you get?"

"Just 12," I replied after looking at my tag.

"Okay, I'll get that too."

I picked up the dress I had put on the chair and made my way to the room. A few minutes after pulling and tugging, stretching and groaning, I walked out holding the clothing in my arms. "It's too small," I announced.

Minzy shook her head. "What size did you get?"

"12," I answered. "I didn't realise I had gotten so big."

She laughed. "Take a 18 or something."

"Yeah, alright." After trying on the bigger sized dress, I sighed.

"Doesn't fit," I muttered.

"Still too small?" Jonghyun asked.

"Nah, too big this time," I responded.

"Well, Minji took a size 12, if that helps," Ricky chipped in.

I nodded. "I'm a bit bigger than her so a 14 should fit me."

At that moment Minzy walked out of the changing room.

"Does it fit?" I asked her.

"Sure does, but there isn't enough extra space for me to move around. I think a 14 should fit fine," said Minzy.

"Then 16 it is!" I chirped.

Minzy laughed and pulled out a dress for me and one for herself. "Don't take too long when you change Yo-unnie."

"Yeah, alright, Ji." I stepped into the room.

"Are you done yet?" Ricky's impatient whine echoed in the changerooms.

I let out a laugh. "Almost. I can't zip the dress."

"Come out and let me zip it for you," Minzy said. I suppose she did finish changing first.

"Okay!" I sang, unlocking the change room door, pretty much forgetting that there were guys at the front. I peeked out from behind.

Jonghyun covered his eyes. "Noona!"

"Huh? Oh." I couldn't stop myself from laughing. "You only see my back anyways."

"And noona's hair would be covering it," Ricky added.

Minzy sighed and swung open the door. "Unnie, you're so unflexible."

"Oh, haha," I said sarcastically as I turned around to allow Minzy to zip my dress. I had it halfway up, using my left hand, but my right hand wasn't able to reach over and bring it all the way up.

"There, done." Minzy stood back as I twirled around. "Is it the right size this time?" she questioned emphasizing the 'this time'.

"Yep. Now are we going to get winter uniform too?"

"No!" yelled Ricky. "I'm going to die of boredom here!"

"But you know it means lesser class for you - if the girls take longer," Jonghyun said.

"On second thoughts, let's buy the winter uniform and the summer senior uniform and the winter senior uniform!"

I chuckled and shook my head. "We can buy those later. We've already spent over an hour here."

"You know, we might as well," Minzy said.

I pursed my lips. "Do you think we should Ji? I'm kind of eager to get to class."

She did a short chuckle and smiled. "I'm really not sure now. I want to see what school is like as well."

"Wait a sec. You haven't been to school before?" a sharp Jonghyun asked.

Flustered, I could only mutter, "Um. Um. Um."

"You know we lived in the country side of Busan so we couldn't go to proper school," Minzy quickly butted in.

"Really? I didn't know Busan was like that," exclaimed Ricky.

I nodded. "That's probably because you would only visit the tourist attractions and beaches in Haeundaegu."

"Oh," said Ricky, when realisation dawned on him. "I do do that..."

Minzy chuckled. I smiled at her.

'Nice save,' I mouthed.

'Thanks.' She winked.

I sightly shook my head and saw a glimspe of Jonghyun's confused face. "Could it be...?" he said.

I furrowed my eyebrows and tilted my head. "What is it Jonghyun-ah?"

"Just... Have you ever heard of some g-You know what?" He stopped. "I'm probably just being paranoid. I mean it's not possible."

"What is?" I asked.

"Nothing, nothing."

"Okay...?" I looked over at Minzy, eyes wide.

She shrugged and shook her head.

I made a few more faces before going to the counter. I brought out my credit card. "May I please pay for these two dresses," I gestured to the ones Minzy and I were wearing, "and these sport uniforms?"

"Yes. Just take off the dress so I can cut off the tags," the cashier responded.

I pinked. "Ah yes."

I turned to Minzy who was silently laughing at me. I opened my mouth in mock disbelief and pretended to be offended. "Excuse me? I am your unnie!"

She giggled. "Do you need help taking off this dress, unnie?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but closed it abruptly. "Yes," I admitted defeatedly.

"Cute couple." Jonghyun raised an eyebrow at me.

I burst into laughter. "Deja vu!"

"De-ja bu? What's that?" Ricky asked.

"Ah, it's you know. Aish, how to explain it? Um, Minzy you do it!" I stammered.

"Unnie, do you really not know?" She sighed at my oblivious expression. "Deja vu is when something has happened before or when you feel it has happened before."

"Ah!" Ricky and I both exclaimed simultaneously.

Minzy and Jonghyun chuckled. "Ah, you guys are so alike," he said.

"Yah, what is this? Are the maknaes (youngest) trying to take over?" I said.

"Yeah, I think they are." Ricky looked over at them two. "Please remember the we are older."

We all began to laugh.

"Wait! I remember now!" I suddenly yelled.

"What?" asked Minzy.

I smiled triumphantly. "I remember when we took that test."

"What test?"

"The class ranking one."

Minzy sighed and rolled her eyes. "You're still thinking about that?"

"I was thinking about it the whole time." I pouted. "I was trying really hard to remember."

Jonghyun snorted. "I really don't know how Minyoung-noona ranked higher than Minji-noona. My guess is that it's rigged."

"Yah!"

"I'm even ashamed to call you my noona," Ricky added. "In fact, YOU should start calling me oppa."

"Yah!"

"I know right." Minzy sighed again. "Oh my gosh, you should have seen her during preschool! Her drawing were so ugly, they made the teachers cry. No joke."

My jaw fell open. "You weren't even there when I was in preschool!"

Minzy smiled smugly. "But I've heard the rumors."

I scoffed and then pouted. "If anyone needs me, I'll be in the dark corner growing mushrooms."

I began to walk to the corner, sulking at how all my dongsaengs were ganging up on me.

"Um, excuse me?" A lady's voice cut in. "Are you going to buy the uniforms?"

I turned. "Ah! Right."