001

Misunderstandings

- Two Years Ago, The Start of Freshman Year -

I pouted as my bestfriend, Minzy, shook her head profusely.

"Please, Ji! I need you there for moral support!" I pleaded, using my best puppy-eyes.

She shook her head, "Why? School's not that important."

"I made a promise to my parents! I at least have to go to high school!"

Minzy sighed. She couldn't win and she knew it. She crossed her arms and glared into my eyes, "Do we have to go as nerds?"

I blinked, "Why would we have to do that?"

"'Cause we're gangsters, duh!" she rolled her eyes at my obvious unthoughfulness.

"Oh," I said, "I never really thought about that."

She sighed, "I guess we're not going to school then."

She turned to leave and I latched onto her arm, "Wait! If we're really quiet we should be able to make it through school without trouble!"

Minzy turned around, "What? You mean a wallflower?"

"Yeah! That! Besides, we always wear masks when we fight. No one will recognise us. Even if they do, they'll be dealing with gangsters from 2NE1!" I changed my face into one of concetration and put up my fists, as if ready to fight.

My bestfriend chuckled at my childlishness. Sometimes you couldn't tell who was older.

"Fine, Yo. Just for you." ('Yo' is Minzy's nickname for Minyoung and 'Ji' is Minyoung's nickname for Minzy.)

CL walked in at that moment, "What are you guys doing?"

I tackled my unnie into a bear hug, "I finally got Ji to agree!"

CL flashed a smile and turned to Minzy for conformation. The latter nodded and CL chuckled.

"I'll get the entrance forms ready. Oh, you'll have to change your name too. Otherwise the police may come after you. Let's see, Han Minji and Song Minyoung?"

I nodded and Minzy shrugged, signalling she was okay with whatever.

CL smiled and walked into her room, ready to deal with our paperwork.

I was too excited and dragged Minzy around the house yelling, "I got Ji to agree! I got Ji to agree!"

I pranced around and Dara flung her door open. Her hair was messy and she was yawning and rubbing her eyes. Clearly, she had just been woken up. Dara's eyes fluttered open and her gaze shifted to the clock then to me.

"It's only 1PM!" she snarled, "Gosh, you guys are way too energetic in the morning!"

"Unnie, it's already afternoon," Minzy reprimanded, "You slept in again."

"Well, you try staying up to 6AM for a drug deal without sleeping in!" Dara defended herself. She stepped back into the room and slammed the door shut. Soon her constant breathing and snoring could be heard.

"1PM?!" I screeched after realising, "It's already afternoon?! I'll go make breakfast-no lunch-no dinner-no I meant LUNCH!"

I sighed and ruffled my hair. I felt Minzy's arm slung around me.

"Gosh, you get worked up on such little things!"

I punched her lightly in the arm, "True, but Gramdara more!"

"Gramdara?"

"Yeah! Grandma Sandara! Gramdara!"

Bom chuckled, walking out of the kitchen and hearing all of the conversation, "Gramdara's going to kill you if she hears you calling her that."

I placed my hands on my hip and pouted, "How come you can do it then?"

"Because I'm older!"

"That's not fair!" I whined, "Don't make me take away your corn!"

Bom quickly dashed back to the kitchen, most likely to get back her beloved corn.

Minzy chuckled and CL walked into the living room, oblivious to the situation. Bom walked back into the room, corn in hand and did a double-take.

"Chae wears glasses?!"

Minzy and I shot our head towards CL and, too, were shocked, "Since when did you wear glasses?!"

CL shook her head, "I don't. I just look far more professional!"

She did a diva hairflick and then took off the glasses, "Anyway, the forms have been sorted. Tomorrow, you will go for a visit then start next week. Oh, and your back story is that you guys are tranferees from Busan."

I nodded, "I am clearly from Busan!" I used a heavy Busan accent in my words.

"Try it a bit lighter," Minzy said with a Busan accent that wasn't too strong or weak.

"Neh, I will," I said with an accent that could hardly be detected.

"Be serious!" Minzy scolded, still using her accent.

I crossed my arms and used a proper accent, "Fine. But, Ji."

"What?"

"I'm hungry," I bluntly stated.

"Go cook yourself something then," Minzy rolled her eyes, "You are the best chef."

I grinned widely, "I am, aren't I? But I'm not the prettiest, or the smartest, or the best fighter, best singer, best dancer, best rapper." My grin soon disappeared.

Minzy shook her head, 'She's putting herself down again.'

Minzy locked eyes with CL, who nodded.

CL spoke up, "Aww... But my dongsaeng is daebaek! She's my most favourite!"

CL walked over and pinched my cheeks. I frowned then pouted, "You just want me to cook you something nice, right?"

"See. That's why you're the best dongsaeng ever! You totally understand me! You will cook for me right?"

I nodded and Minzy piped up, "And you're the best unnie ever and my bestest best friend!"

I chuckled, "Okay. I'll go make something for all of us."

CL and Minzy watched my retreating back.

Minzy smiled sadly, "Do you remember the time we first met her?"

CL nodded, "It was two years ago. She used to say stuff like, 'I can't blame anyone else anymore. It's because of me. Everything is because of me.'"

"Also stuff like, 'I feel like I bother people just by being alive,' and, 'Living is a constant battle,' and, 'Crying. Is crying with tears really crying?'" Bomi recited after popping out of nowhere.

Minzy stared at Bom.

"What?" Bom shrugged, "Min confided in me first."

Minzy nodded in understanding. Bom had a hard life too and therefore could relate.

Minzy watched her friend as she cooked and happily hummed a song. Minzy rolled her eyes when she saw that, I, her bestfriend accidentally dropped the spoon. Chuckling, I bet down to pick it up.

"I hope she remains this way forever," Minzy said quietly to herself, "Happy, clumsy, full of laughter..."

"What are you guys talking about?" I had walked out the kitchen without them knowing.

"Nothing," they chorused all together.

I raised an eyebrow. I had felt their eyes watching me while I was cooking. Shrugging, I chose to ignore it.

I set the table and brought out the hanjeongsik, a bowl/s of rice and heaps of side dishes.

Bom stared, "Oh my god. How did you make all that in such a short time?!"

I shrugged, "Don't underestimate me as a chef."

"That looks wonderful!" Minzy complimented.

I beamed, "I know!"

We all sat down then I suddenly remembered Dara wasn't here.

Picking on Bom, I said, "Go wake up Gramdara for me okay?"

She watched me as I did puppy-eyes and sighed, "Just for you, ara?"

"Thanks unnie!" I grinned widely.

Minzy nudged me, "You didn't have to send Bomi-unnie to her death you know."

I smiled evilly, "But I just had too!"

CL ruffled my head, "That's my dongsaeng!"

Minzy slapped her hand away, "What are you teaching her? Let's just eat."

I nodded and reached for the dubu jorim (braised tofu). Halfway through the tofu I heard screams and shouts.

"Sandara! No! It's Min's fault! She sent me here!"

"I'm going to show you hell..."

"No! Help!"

"No one can help you now."

Soon, the shouts stopped and was replaced by our laughter.

"Did you hear that? 'No one can help you now.'," I imitated Dara's voice.

The rest chuckled and we continued to eat. Soon, Bom and Dara came down. Bom, haggard and tired looking, and Dara, cleaned up and alert. They sat at the table and started to eat.

"What did you do to her?" CL nudged Dara.

Dara chuckled, "It's. A. Se. Cret!"

Bom shivered and I pat her back pitifully, "I'm sorry, unnie."

She smiled weakly at me and did a peace-out sign, "I've been throught worse."

We smiled sadly at each other and in an instant, the table's mood downed.

I finished my food first and took my bowl and few others which were already finished. I left the silent table and started to wash up.

Memories of my past flooded my head.

 

"Umma! Appa!" my ten year old self screamed in the water. It came out muffled and you couldn't really tell what it was that I was shouting.

My mother pulled off the seatbelt and swam to me. She pulled off mine and opened the car door. I was running out of breath.

My eyes closed and the last thing I saw was my mum's dead and pale face. She had died trying to save me.

 

"Appa?" my six year old self curiously peeked into my father's study. He smiled weakly at me.

"Come here, my princess."

I obliged and walked over, "What are you doing?"

"Nothing you should worry yourself about," my father wearily replied.

I smiled at him, "Promise you'll be with me forever, Appa!"

He chuckled and we laced our pinkies together, "I promise."

 

"Appa!" I shouted at the leaving man, "Where are you going?!"

He turned to look at me. I may have been eleven but I could still read what was in his eyes; regret, sadness, pain and worry.

He smiled, "Don't worry my princess. I'll be back soon."

I waited by the doorstep for hours and he didn't return. By the time I woke up in the morning, I was in an unfamiliar place, surrounded by men.

 

Bom entered the kitchen, "What's taking you so long to wash the dishes?"

She froze when she saw my position. She immediately wrapped her arms around me and sang a lullaby. After a few minutes, I calmed down and colour returned to my face.

"Come on, unnie. Let's go back."

We walked back and CL clapped her hands, "Everyone! Get yourselves ready at 10PM! We have a mission!"

"Okay!/Neh!/Arasso!" we chorused.

"Okay. Until then I think we have free time until then."

"Yay!" I cheered, "I need to go buy things for school."

I bounded up the stairs and into my room. I went into my personal bathroom and washed up. Feeling refreshed, I danced into my walk-in wardrobe.

"Hmm..." I said out loud, "What to wear?"

I pulled out some black skinny jeans and an orange sweater. I put them on, not really caring about fashion. Grabbing my comb, I walked towards the mirror and struggled with my tangled hair.

"Gosh, you should just get that all cut off," I looked up to see Minzy leaning on my doorframe, smirking.

"Shut up," I pouted, "Just because you have short silver hair!"

She chuckled in response, "I don't see why you don't do that to your hair!"

I frowned, "You know I disagree with dyeing my hair."

"Yeah, but you could at least cut it," she rebutted, "It's like a big, black bird's nest!"

I childlishly crossed my arms, "I don't feel the need."

She rolled her eyes, "But you never bother to comb your hair unless it's wet. Are you going somewhere?"

I nodded and turned to face the mirror, "Shopping for school supplies. Want to come with?"

Minzy shrugged, "I do need a new backpack."

I smiled, finally undoing the mess that was my hair.

I grabbed Minzy's hand and shoved her into her room, "Get yourself ready then!"

She chuckled, "Okay, okay."

She shut the door. I walked down the staircase and sat down on the couch, listening to my iPod while waiting.

I heard an exaggerated gasp behind me. I turned around. It was Dara.

"Youngie's hair is actually straight and dry!"


Yo! The long-awaited first chapter! How is it? Please don't unsubscribe! It's not that bad right?!

Anyway, thanks to all my subscribers! I hope you will enjoy the story. The first three chapters are more about your (Minyoung's) past so it will be kind of sad and such. But don't worry! Fourth chapter, here comes the fluffy romance!

I think I stuffed up Minzy's personality. She's too mature and you're childlish. Oh well!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

-YeoJaGaSu